• Please log in to reply
The Star Wars thread 76 replies to this topic Started by WonderBuono , Jan 06 2016 03:38 AM · 

#1 WonderBuono

WonderBuono
  • こぶしファクトリー

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:38 AM

Well I don't create topics often, but I figure there's enough Star Wars fans here that it could deserve its own thread; especially since there's way more to the franchise than just movies.

Feel free to discuss The Force Awakens here, but please use spoiler tags, at least until the Blu-ray/DVD is released, just in case.
(I should've created this weeks ago when it was still really new but oh well)

To start things off... what do you guys think of Rey?

Spoiler

#2 Mizura

Mizura
  • ANGERME

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:29 AM

Spoiler

#3 Al Kusanagi

Al Kusanagi
  • Iä! Iä! Sayumi Fhtagn!

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:01 AM

None of this damn Mary Sue stuff that's been going around about Rey. She's no more competent than Luke was in a New Hope. Remember when homeboy blew up the Death Star THE FIRST TIME HE PILOTED AN X-WING? No one calls him a Mary Sue.

It's a sci-fi fairy tale adventure with larger than life heroes. Of course they're going to be hyper competent. Hell, what about the First Order Stormtroopers that could actually hit targets? Unthinkable!!!

Leave mai waifu alone...

#4 WonderBuono

WonderBuono
  • こぶしファクトリー

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:31 AM

None of this damn Mary Sue stuff that's been going around about Rey. She's no more competent than Luke was in a New Hope. Remember when homeboy blew up the Death Star THE FIRST TIME HE PILOTED AN X-WING? No one calls him a Mary Sue.

It's a sci-fi fairy tale adventure with larger than life heroes. Of course they're going to be hyper competent. Hell, what about the First Order Stormtroopers that could actually hit targets? Unthinkable!!!

Leave mai waifu alone...

Well I don't actually think she's a Mary Sue... just said she seemed kinda like one to begin with. As for Luke, sure he did some pretty amazing things (as did Anakin) but they made it clear that he had a lot to learn, and he had one big flaw: impatience. And he almost died because of that impatience in Empire Strikes Back, so...

#5 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:10 AM

Rich Evans from RedLetterMedia said it perfectly when he describe TFA as a competent movie that was just as he expected the movie to be, good.

There is a lot of nostalgia-wanking and eventhough it's rarely only for "lol nostalgia", It ends up being too much for my taste.

The jokes were all pretty good, except for those made around/with/about Kylo Ren.

Even if Rey is somewhat of a Mary Sue, everything she does is and can be actually explained.

Even her knowledge about the space ship they're using. She apparently has been sneaking into it at night, but I only read that and it didn't make the cut for the movie.

Spoiler

Her character flaw is a decent amount of arrogance.

The weak point of the movie was Kylo Ren, unfortunately.

Not necessarily because of who he is, but of how he seems to be a complete loser and CAN'T DO SHIT.

Spoiler

The worst part however is that he is used as a comedic relief at times. Those two stormtroopers walking away when he was angry or the comically scared dude reporting back to him.

He apparently slaughtered several Jedi students, how is he not feared in a more respected way?

And why is the resistence called "the resistence" when clearly the bad dudes are more like a resistence to the republic and rebels, the combined bigger and more popular power in the galaxy?

For the sequels-sequels I hope they improve on the setting and make everything fresher. They have a solid foundation with ok characters, but they really need to come up with a more original story (even if SW is more character- than plot-driven) and make the dark side actually looks strong again.

I think all-out war between the republic/rebel alliance and the first order is the best way to go as an overarching setting. We don't even know what is going on in the rest of the galaxy!

#6 JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone
  • カントリー・ガールズ

Posted 06 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

Spaceballs: The Spoilers

Spoiler

#7 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:03 PM

non-Force-using rebel ace.

Luke's friend Wedge Antilles was considered one of the best pilots in the whole galaxy and wasn't a Force user. That archtype isn't new (just underused).

#8 JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone
  • カントリー・ガールズ

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

Yeah, but in the movies themselves he was little more than an extra with a name.

And that reminds me, Denis Lawson was offered a role in VII, but he turned it down because he thought it would bore him.

#9 Al Kusanagi

Al Kusanagi
  • Iä! Iä! Sayumi Fhtagn!

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Wedge still got is props in the new canon though. He's the only original trilogy main character in the novel Aftermath.

Also, I'm still super sad that Rogue One is a heist movie and not a Rogue Squadron movie.

Anyone been reading the new Marvel Star Wars comics? The current storyline Vader Down is badass. You actually get to see why he's the most feared man in the galaxy.

#10 WonderBuono

WonderBuono
  • こぶしファクトリー

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:08 PM

Spaceballs: The Spoilers

Spoiler

I'm just gonna quote this whole post because it's basically everything I've thought and/or ranted about on Facebook already (minus BB-8... lol I thought he was adorable). I love the movie because it's Star Wars and I will always love Star Wars, but it had potential to be SO MUCH MORE and they just... recycled everything. Except Finn. Gosh I love Finn.

Even the ships are the same; updated X-Wings and TIE fighters are cool and all, but 30 years later don't you think they should be flying something new?

#11 JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone
  • カントリー・ガールズ

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

My favorite new ships are these from a cereal box.

Wedge still got is props in the new canon though. He's the only original trilogy main character in the novel Aftermath.

I spent most of that book so worried for him. Last year I was finishing up most of the Legends stuff I wanted to check out before switching gears to the new canon, which mostly meant all the X-Wing books. So I was really hoping they didn't want to do something awful to him to really set things apart.

#12 Mizura

Mizura
  • ANGERME

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:01 AM

I feel like this movie was more of a transition to the new arc. They still had old characters to introduce and kill off in the case of Han Solo. and show what they've done while introducing the new characters to develop. I think they were relying a lot on old stuff to familiarize fans of the original trilogy (or something).

#13 Al Kusanagi

Al Kusanagi
  • Iä! Iä! Sayumi Fhtagn!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

That's exactly what's going on. Originally there was going to be far less Han Solo, but they thought they needed to have more callbacks in it just to tie it firmly to the originals. Now that they've established the characters they can go in a new direction with Episode 8.

#14 WonderBuono

WonderBuono
  • こぶしファクトリー

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:52 AM

That's exactly what's going on. Originally there was going to be far less Han Solo, but they thought they needed to have more callbacks in it just to tie it firmly to the originals. Now that they've established the characters they can go in a new direction with Episode 8.

That's what I'm hoping for. :)

---

So my dad bought this game a couple weeks ago: Risk: Star Wars Edition. It threw me off at first because it's almost nothing like regular Risk, but it's really fun once you get the hang of it. And the Black Series version has some really nice pieces. It took us about ten times playing the game before one of us (me!) finally won playing as the Empire; it's a bit tricky since you're on the defensive -- you have to defeat all the enemy ships. As the Rebels you basically just win by rolling a 6.

#15 JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone
  • カントリー・ガールズ

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:51 AM

They still had old characters to introduce and kill off in the case of Han Solo.

In retrospect, I feel like I should have seen that coming. He clearly had the Obi Wan / Qui-Gon role from the first of the other trilogies.

#16 Mizura

Mizura
  • ANGERME

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:05 AM

I saw it coming pretty fast. I had a feeling that he would be killed off sometime in one of the three movies but as soon as I saw the narrow bridge I knew it was then and there. There's no reason to have it that narrow unless you're going to through someone off of it.

#17 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Never heard of "Mary Sue" before reading the spoilers in this thread, so I had to look the term up.  What are some other famous examples of "Mary Sue" characters in film?

#18 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:26 PM

Never heard of "Mary Sue" before reading the spoilers in this thread, so I had to look the term up.  What are some other famous examples of "Mary Sue" characters in film?

You can find a lot of examples via Google, it is more commong to use the word when it comes to literature though. At least that's my impression.

The male version is called Gary/Marty Stu. Wesley from Star Trek is one of the more famous examples (at least if you've seen the series).

The Twilight shit is basically full of Sues and Stus. A lot of teen movies are, really.

James Bond, not so much the recent ones, was a prime example of a Gary Stu.

Nancy Drew is probably one of the first characters that was called a Mary Sue and it's even interchangeable for some people.

#19 showraniy

showraniy
  • ANGERME

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

I just want to pop into this thread really quickly to say that I have no opinion on Rey as of yet because she could still morph into a more realistic, flawed character (and I didn't mind her Mary Sue-esque scenes too much besides the mind powers), but Finn is absolutely the star of The Force Awakens.

Fantastic character, and definitely my current favorite.

#20 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

I just want to pop into this thread really quickly to say that I have no opinion on Rey as of yet because she could still morph into a more realistic, flawed character (and I didn't mind her Mary Sue-esque scenes too much besides the mind powers), but Finn is absolutely the star of The Force Awakens.

I need to tell you how wrong you are! Han was the star!

Most of the movie was about him. lol

#21 JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone
  • カントリー・ガールズ

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

When the end credits came up I wasn't surprised to see Harrison Ford as the #1 billed actor, but Mark Hamill at #2 was pretty funny.

#22 Al Kusanagi

Al Kusanagi
  • Iä! Iä! Sayumi Fhtagn!

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:02 PM

2813691-rfp.jpg

#23 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

That looks like tumblr shit.

#24 showraniy

showraniy
  • ANGERME

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

I need to tell you how wrong you are! Han was the star!

Most of the movie was about him. lol

Pshaw! Finn was way better than Han to me, but Carrie Fisher takes the cake as my most-eyeroll-worthy Star Wars person--her acting, that is, and not the character she portrayed. Though I'll admit she got a lot better between the original movies and now.

Spoilery-ness for any who haven't seen it yet:

I so wish it was her on that bridge instead of Han.

#25 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

I so wish it was her on that bridge instead of Han.

But nobody would have cared. lol

I think she's just as ok as she was back in the day.

#26 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:11 PM

George Lucas seems to think TFA is too retro, but he's interested in the next movies:
http://www.theguardi...e-force-awakens
http://www.cinemable...kens-98887.html

#27 JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone
  • カントリー・ガールズ

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:08 AM

I was about to bring that up. The "white slavers" thing made the headlines, but looking closer some of his problems with it were ones brought up here.

This is one of the few places I could make this comparison, but I feel like Star Wars without Lucas leading it is kind of like Hello! Project without Tsunku leading it. Not necessarily bad, but lacking that unifying vision and force.

#28 Al Kusanagi

Al Kusanagi
  • Iä! Iä! Sayumi Fhtagn!

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

Hell no! Lucas has spent his whole career actively trying to ruin Star Wars. The originals turned out well despite of him, since there were far more talented people reining him in. That's why the prequels were so bad, since he was surrounded by yes men. He gets credit for creating the seed of the world, but most of the good ideas came from others.

#29 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, Lucas is a delusional person and he can't write good dialogue if his life depended on it.

#30 Star

Star
  • The New Dirty Hippie

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Can I just say,

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Although, I will say I like the prequels the most. Partly because I just love Padme, but also because Revenge of the Sith was my first Star Wars movie and also the first movie I saw at the Drive In as it cane out the year I moved back to my current home. I was 6 and mostly confused the whole time, sleeping through some bits, but its still what got me into Star Wars.