• Please log in to reply
G.E.M. - Good to be Bad (distant city mix) a remix by me (pretentious subtitle included) 5 replies to this topic Started by aine , Oct 24 2011 09:51 PM · 

#1 aine

aine
  • 名無しさん‮

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

If you're keeping track of the C-pop thread, you may have heard of G.E.M. And if you're not, you should definitely start to! She's a cool young indie-pop artist from Hong Kong, and Good to be Bad is my favourite song of hers.

Coincidentally, some time ago her label announced a remix contests for this song. Long story short:

Original song

My remix :danceman:

It's my first remix ever and I'm really proud of it. I blame it not winning the contest only on the fact that I decided not to compress the hell out of it like everyone else did. :hmph:

I was getting actually somewhat hopeful for at least a mention since all the entries featured on the remix website before the verdict was out were utter crap in comparison - and anyone who knows my attitude towards my own works would know that I don't make such bold statements lightly. Now that it's over I'm kinda disappointed. While the winners are definitely better in the technical sense (as in they add more newly created sounds rather than just mix the original source tracks), they're just the kind of remixes that I skip on the playlist after few seconds. Mine, I can listen to on loop. :lol:

But enough boasting. Enjoy and let me know what you think (tear it to pieces if needed, too). :thumbsup:

#2 neshcom

neshcom
  • howdy, y'all

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:15 AM

I like yours, but it being mostly an instrumental and kind of similar to the original kind of throws me a little. I really liked the intro, though the reverb was a little heavy on the first guitar part. Re:compression: because of the more rock-ish feel, the compression is fine (and we know I love me some brickwall compression).

That winning remix is basically the jungle-tech shit from 2000, which I find fitting because the song is also kind of that early-2000s pop feel. I liked the second runner-up though.

#3 aine

aine
  • 名無しさん‮

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, I was hoping you would reply. =3=

The reverb in the beginning is a remnant of my initial poking around in the editor. I did want to give it a more airy sound, but I agree I should have cut down on the effect strength a bit.

It was intentional that the remix is largely instrumental and similar to the original. I did not want to create a typical synthetic remix with a heavy bass and drum loop and some additional electro-sounding synth string tracks etc. - first, because I don't like remixes like that, and second, because I have no tools and/or skills to make them. :lol: From the beginning I wanted to re-mix the original song into another subtle "organic" instrumental piece by sticking to the "less is more" principle, and to tone its syntheticity by adding some real-life sounds. But I guess I'm rather alone in this preference. :mellow:

#4 aine

aine
  • 名無しさん‮

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Bumping this almost a year to the day because... Ah, I'll just copypaste:

OMG GEM ACTUALLY USED MY REMIX!!1!one :omg:

Well, not her, but the crew covering her live in Vancouver... BUT, she mentioned it on her fb:

這是最後一個在溫哥華的訪問視頻要分享給你們!這個有點特別,因為它的背景音樂用的是我們"Good to be Bad" Remix比賽的其中一個作品哦:Good To Be Bad (distant city mix) by stnm

:danceman:

This is the closest to stardom that I'll ever be. 8o

It only took me a year to notice... :hahaha: Actually I only found it by total accident. We finally received our Limited Edition copy of eXposed today (I'll spam photos in the C-Pop Thread soon because it's amazing) and started poking on yt searching for videos of GEM's overseas concerts, thinking how nice it would be if she performed in Europe, and that came up. A few seconds into the video we're like, hold on, that sounds familiar.

Berry thinks I'm not happy because I'm not jumping with joy about it getting recognition, but I'm just at too much of a loss of words. :cryalot:

And yeah, I feel both very proud, as well as star-struck and I'm-not-worthy-like, and kinda embarrassed of not being too humble about it in the first post. But it is one of the most accomplished days in my life.

#5 neshcom

neshcom
  • howdy, y'all

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

Yayyyyy! That's so awesome! Congratulations a million times!

It's weird they didn't even tell you they used it... I'm sure they own it since you entered it in the contest, but still... (Or did you set it as Creative Commons?)

#6 aine

aine
  • 名無しさん‮

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Thanks!

Yeah, I did sign all the rights away by submitting the entry, but that's normal for this kind of contests. I think the remixes are actually CC-BY-ND, but owned by the label.

Still, it would be nice if they notified me somehow. I'll be contacting them later to see if I have more reasons to be happy like that. :whistling: