• Please log in to reply
Music Chat Spam spam goes here 678 replies to this topic Started by Ap2000 , Jun 23 2011 03:11 PM · 

#661 aine

aine
  • 名無しさん‮

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, but the latest fad is the one that's going to be trending on Twitter.

That's a complete misuse of the (already overused) adjective "cult" though.

The demographic that loves Gundam and Time Bokan are not the Twitter demographic.

I don't think that's correct, Gundam and Time Bokan are such cultural icons that everyone from ages 10 to 70 would be aware of them (Time Bokan less so, but still). A new series and/or episode of either is a big deal that would cause ripples in the general public, and not just the strict anime-watching target audience.

For what it's worth, after checking again both Gundam and Yuri make appearance in the twitter trends site I linked, on November 7th and 3rd respectively. You be the judge which one did the NYT writer have in mind, I'm done advocating my uneducated opinion. :tongue:

#662 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:44 PM

Yeah, but the latest fad is the one that's going to be trending on Twitter.

That's a complete misuse of the (already overused) adjective "cult" though.

The demographic that loves Gundam and Time Bokan are not the Twitter demographic.

I don't think that's correct, Gundam and Time Bokan are such cultural icons that everyone from ages 10 to 70 would be aware of them (Time Bokan less so, but still). A new series and/or episode of either is a big deal that would cause ripples in the general public, and not just the strict anime-watching target audience.

For what it's worth, after checking again both Gundam and Yuri make appearance in the twitter trends site I linked, on November 7th and 3rd respectively. You be the judge which one did the NYT writer have in mind, I'm done advocating my uneducated opinion. :tongue:

Hey, I did my part. When I was in Japan I watched the first ep. of the then-newest Gundam series when it aired on Sunday morning, April 3, the day before I left.

#663 Shoujo Q

Shoujo Q
  • ಥ_ರೃ #1 Sakura Fangirl

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:23 AM

Daisuke Maki of EXILE, Verbal of M-Flo and DJ Daruma Seriously Injured In Car Accident.

http://ohnotheydidnt.../104507400.html

I hope they are okay! I only know Verbal. :(

#664 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:02 AM

From my experience, Kishidan's One night carnival is known by many of the BBS members and I just came across a very charming reendition of it:
https://www.youtube....h?v=ogD3hP8e6TU

#665 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 01 January 2017 - 02:03 AM

Since I can't be in Japan to watch their New Year's programming and I don't want to watch American New Year's programming, I dug out my unopened copy of the 3-disc set of last year's Kohaku Uta Gassen and am watching that now. They had a lengthy anime segment where different groups sang different anime theme songs. Nogizaka46 performed a very nice number and it's the first time I've ever seen them. They're good!

#666 JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone
  • カントリー・ガールズ

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

A bit rambly, but: Listening to some old Final Fantasy V music and I ran across the piano lesson excerpt of Arabesque No. 1 (though no, I didn't remember that name). I primarily knew a version of it from an old astronomy segment on PBS, called Star Hustler / Star Gazer. I searched for the version that show used and for the first time heard it in full and it's pretty cool. It's from Tomita Isao who was apparently something of an electronic music pioneer. The instrumentation in that piece makes me think of what SNES games might have sounded like if their sound samples were much higher quality. I've ordered a couple of his CDs, but they haven't arrived yet.

#667 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:19 AM

Credit where it's due: Claude Debussy is the original composer of Arabesque No. 1.

In other news, I picked up my New Year's shows today from the Japanese video store: FNS Kayosai and Kohaku Uta Gassen. So I'm up to date.

#668 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

I watched Disc 1 of FNS Kayosai, Part 1 (Dec. 7) without a tracklist, only to learn afterwards that I do indeed have a tracklist already printed out, but I had completely forgotten about it. So I have to watch it again. I didn't even know that Anri and Nana Mizuki, two singers I like a lot, were in it. Plus, I didn't know the difference between Nogizaka46 and Keyakizaka46, so I have to figure that out. I just assumed all "46" groups were the same. Lots of good stuff in it, but C-ute and MM come later in the show. Part 1, Disc 1 is itself 134 min.--two-and-a-quarter hours--long.

#669 Gale

Gale
  • つばきファクトリー

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

Idol Renaissance and lyrical school are covering "The Cut" by Base Ball Bear. It is going to be released Feb. 14.

It is such a perfect collab, with the perfect song.

C27PJXXVIAAVL7g.jpg

https://vimeo.com/200820301

#670 JoshuaJSlone

JoshuaJSlone
  • カントリー・ガールズ

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

I feel like I'm late to the party, but I've just recently been introduced to the mashup work of Neil Cicierega. Albums Mouth Sounds, Mouth Silence, and the new one Mouth Moods can be freely downloaded or listened to on YouTube. Some are just funny or strange combinations (Imagine + All Star, or Love Shack + Psycho soundtrack), but some I find myself listening to over and over, like The End or Wallspin.

#671 Gale

Gale
  • つばきファクトリー

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=FzU3dcHXlEw

The Cut - lyrical school and Idol Renaissance (Orig. Base Ball Bear)

#672 Anderei

Anderei
  • つんく♂

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:20 AM

I know not too many people here follow them but Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku's Matsuno Rina has suddenly passed away. Apparently she was ill and suddenly got worse. She was taken to the hospital in the morning but didn't make it. Poor thing, she was only 18. :/

#673 Mizura

Mizura
  • 賀楓

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:44 AM

I heard about that, and while I didn't follow them as much, it's still devastating. She died way too young.

#674 yuzu

yuzu
  • FRUIT UNITY

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:30 PM

I know not too many people here follow them but Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku's Matsuno Rina has suddenly passed away. Apparently she was ill and suddenly got worse. She was taken to the hospital in the morning but didn't make it. Poor thing, she was only 18. :/

I have been absolutely crushed about this since last night.  She was staying  home resting from events and got worse and suddenly rushed to the hospital, where she was confirmed dead on arrival.  I can't stop thinking about her friends and family and the other girls....

#675 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:37 AM

Bryan Adams looks really old nowadays (this interview is already 1,5 years old):
https://www.youtube....h?v=e2iEopAHNvk

I love the guy.

#676 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

Does anyone know what Rina Matsuno died of? My friend Josh has been absolutely devastated by this. She was his favorite and he'd met her in Japan.

#677 Mizura

Mizura
  • 賀楓

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:44 AM

Does anyone know what Rina Matsuno died of? My friend Josh has been absolutely devastated by this. She was his favorite and he'd met her in Japan.

I think it was announced it was a heart problem but I'm not sure.

#678 Anderei

Anderei
  • つんく♂

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:31 AM

The rumors are saying it was fatal arrhythmia. There's been no announcement.

#679 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

Sometimes you come across a song and immediately love it.

On my never-ending quest for more Initial D music (and other fitting 90s music) to listen to while playing Rocket League, Titanfall 2 and similar "gotta go fast" games, I came across m.o.v.e. - Rage your dream:

https://www.youtube....h?v=KoFSQeOAYz4

I definitely need to get this duo's discography asap.