• Please log in to reply
BBS Project '17 (Though a bit late!) Tsugitsugi Zokuzoku, Kobushi no Hana, Fiesta! Fiesta!, Utakata Saturday Night! 23 replies to this topic Started by Thea , Jun 03 2018 11:12 PM · 

#1 Thea

Thea
  • 鞘師里保

Posted 03 June 2018 - 11:12 PM

Our '17 project, though a bit late!

Tsugitsugi Zokuzoku
(All Cast)

Kobushi no Hana
(All Cast)

Fiesta! Fiesta!
(Aqua, Zlil, WonderBuono, Thea, Sakebi, Paru)

Utakata Saturday Night!
(Zlil, Mukuro, Thea, Arco, Juan, TicTac)

Hopefully more of us can join this/next years, though! I feel like we were just a little bit short of our usual. :)

MP3's can be given upon request! And let everyone know what you think.

Thanks to Gale and TicTac for taking on the graphics, JPope for audio mixing, and Gale for video mixing! And Arco for color-coding.

#2 WonderBuono

WonderBuono
  • こぶしファクトリー

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:38 AM

YAAASSSSS

Ok Kobushi no Hana and Fiesta Fiesta are the best imo they sound so good

And I'm glad I got a better mic this time so I sound a little clearer, I just wish I was a strong singer like everyone else

BUT

This was fun and I'm so glad it was finally posted. Good work everybody! :)

#3 JPope

JPope
  • Dick

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:25 AM

As is my habit, I snuck myself into a song. Can you find it?

#4 arcobaleno

arcobaleno
  • 夏の楽園でさ迷っている

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:37 AM

WB, you are still unabashedly one of my favorite voices, it's so clear and pleasant. You had total Ayapan undertones on Kobushi no Hana and I really loved it.

TicTac you are adorable........ S/mileage needed you when they debuted. Also fantastic job on your monologue in Utakata!

But really, everyone did well and I loved how well all of you did.

This was a fun project as always, and thanks to everyone for participating and Thea for being the bossman as usual, JPope for mixing (thanks for your patience withdealing with my off-key singing, that will be avoided next time) , and especially TicTac and Gale for their graphics. You guys really have good artistic sense!

#5 TheParuProject

TheParuProject
  • つばきファクトリー

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:46 AM

My personal taste:

1) Fiesta! Fiesta!

Spoiler

2) Kobushi no Hana

Spoiler

3) Utakata Saturday Night!

Spoiler

4) Tsugitsugi Zokuzoku

Spoiler

I know I expressed a little trepidation before because I didn't want to make mostly-female songs sound off with a male vocal, and I was met with reassurance. I'm completely happy to have participated, it's all about having fun as a community and I did. But a small part of me can't help but be curious about what these songs would sound like without me and Ryan because you ladies sounds lovely together, haha (Zlil escapes this due to his extreme soprano lady octave LOL).

But this was a lot of fun, I'm happy I partcipated. I look forward to participating this next year, it was cool to do a group collab for the first time in like, 10 years.

#6 JPope

JPope
  • Dick

Posted 04 June 2018 - 05:53 AM

My heart kind of sank when I saw this song was chosen, and moreso when I saw that it was All Cast. I LOVE this song, but wrangling a large group of people to do a cohesive cover of it is iffy. I've tried to do solo covers of this song and have always stopped out of frustration. There are a lot of fast lines with gross consonant sounds, I'm sure it was a real challenge to mix it nicely when so many people are recording it with no direction and different mics.

Yes! I was hoping this wouldn't make the cut for those very reasons, but it was one of the more fun ones to mix because of other challenges: changing reverbs/delays and stereo pans, blending in bits from the original vocal-rip, etc. (I was determined to include the vocal stutter in the final chorus.) Figuring out stuff like that is fun as hell. Trying to cut-and-stretch ten lines to match such a precise rhythm, otoh, is tedious and annoying  :lol:

#7 WonderBuono

WonderBuono
  • こぶしファクトリー

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

Paru I actually think you fit pretty well in this project (and usually I’m not a fan of guys being in these group covers tbh). Your line in Kobushi no Hana was one of the highlights for me.

#8 TicTacAnyone

TicTacAnyone
  • Danbara's #1 fan

Posted 04 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

Yasssss it's finally here and done!!

So grateful and proud of all those who put work into this, especially those who put extra work :)

TsugiTsugi was a challenge, but I'm still happy with how it came out. I know that for me, and this being my first time ever recording a series of songs, it was a very welcome challenge. It taught me a lot about rhythm and tongue twisters... Because oh my god, this song was full of 'em. But I think after recording this song, I understood my other two songs a lot better. Also, I hope you guys like the graphics for it--I took a still of each member doing the same pose (just leaning different ways) and made 'em your color :) I had to give myself Kassa since we had one to many people, lol!

Kobushi no Hana came out so nicely!! Everyone has such a unique voice, this is a song you better get to hear them all. I'm a sucker for this song in general too, though. I also loooove the rain aesthetic of the graphic.... I'm a sucker for rain. So yeah, this one has two of my weaknesses lol.

Fiesta-Fiesta... y'all picked all the right people for this song together. The voices were a perfect match! Vocally, this was probably my favorite to listen to. 

Utakata... Woohoo! It was fun to be in a song that wasn't all cast so I had a little more screentime. Hahaha I kid. I love the way it turned out.... though sad the chorus had to be a bit autotuned :( But I still think we worked well together. The monologue was a huge challenge timing and rhythm-wise, but again, it was a fun challenge.

I'm already in the process of picking out a mic just for me, so I'll have an actual desk mic and not a headset mic next time. So I won't have to watch how hard I'm speaking into the mic, I'll have a pop filter and all. Cause I naturally have that softer voice but I still had to make sure I wasn't enunciating too hard, at the risk of having a loud smacking noise happen, lol. Now who's ready for this year's project?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Here are my compliments on each person's voice:

Spoiler

#9 Mukuro

Mukuro
  • モーニング娘。

Posted 04 June 2018 - 02:54 PM

Yeah I think I need to steal my brothers gaming mics and not use a really old rock band one anymore.. I'll do that for next time!

#10 TicTacAnyone

TicTacAnyone
  • Danbara's #1 fan

Posted 04 June 2018 - 04:10 PM

Yeah I think I need to steal my brothers gaming mics and not use a really old rock band one anymore.. I'll do that for next time!

Yes it would be amazing to hear your voice nice and clear.... but that’s cause it’s your voice, not for quality reasons!! :)

I was stealing my husband’s gaming mic for this project hahaha

#11 DonJuan

DonJuan
  • ANGERME

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:03 PM

What a great thing to come back to! Thanks everyone who helped out with the project. It's looking (and sounding) great!

We really had some hard songs this year, TsugiZoku was fast and Utakata had a wide range. But I think we sound really good! Personal thoughts on the songs:

Tsugitsugi Zokuzoku

Thea's spoken lines were so great, they fit in really nicely with attitude and everything! Also WonderBuono as Moe fits so well! I also think we got better throughout the song. The second chorus was pretty neat. Of course this one was hard to coordinate (props to Jpope for mixing this!) because damn, why do they have to sing so fast? lol. 

Fiesta! Fiesta!

I agree that the group for this one was amazing, everybody sounds great. Sakebi's velvety voice, the power behind Zlil and Thea, WonderBuono's cute accents and Paru's nice bass were amazing, and I agree especially Aqua stood out here, I loved it! It's also my favourite mixing out of all four and my second favourite video (my favourite Video is Kobushi no Hana, the idea with the windows was nice). 

Utakata Saturday Night

Personally I had the hardest time recording this  :lol: but the final song is great! I especially love how Zlil, Thea and I sound as a group in the chorus, but this time again I thought the groups were well divided. I loved your talking part, TicTac! 

Kobushi no Hana

I love everything about this. The "massugu" parts were powerful and the chorus gave a nice part of unity, like we were a big family :lol: I especially loved Thea's last line in the second chorus (the Hamachan part) and Paru's Ayapan part in the bridge! Also. That high note. Damn Thea lol. 

Thank you everybody for participating and organizing. It was a pleasure to work with you :)

#12 JPope

JPope
  • Dick

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:58 AM

That high note. Damn Thea lol. 

Thea's high note actually had its own track:

YK2kH8D.jpg

#13 Sakebi

Sakebi
  • Juice=Juice

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

^^ Kobushi no Hana was my favorite to make! I was really scared no one would like it, since it is a bit unconventional (tbh I didn't think anyone would like any of the videos) but it was fun to rope together a new concept.

I think Tsugi should have been group 2 and Utakata should have been an all cast song, tbh. I think the contrast between the vibrant Utakata would have outlined a great juxtaposition with Kobushi no Hana. Tusgi's chorus was unbalanced. We had a lot of the lighter singers on one side, while having the heavier singers on the other. It was due to cast changes, though. I posted my comments on the individual songs earlier, but it was irrelevant chatter. 

Honestly, WB and Aqua were incredibly impressive to me, this time around.

I really dislike how I sound in Fiesta (I wish I could turn back time and switch with someone lol) but I loved how everyone else sounded. 

Spoiler

None of it is my business, so feel free to ignore it.

#14 JPope

JPope
  • Dick

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:33 AM

Spoiler

I think those are mostly sound suggestions. My personal preference as a mixer is to do a single all cast song and the rest smaller group songs. Fitting 10+ singers into a single song is tough when you account for varying qualities of mics and takes. Invariably, some are gonna be buried in the mix just because they had to record on a poor mic or weren't able to really push their voice. It's easier to mitigate that with fewer singers.  I know that this is just for fun, but the better it sounds in the end, the more fun it is.  I do love the idea of one or two small All Star groups (four or fewer) of the strongest singers, though, as we have some good ones here. We basically followed this formula in 2016 if I recall.

Also, the graphics this years were fantastic.

#15 TheParuProject

TheParuProject
  • つばきファクトリー

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:56 AM

I agree with JPope. I think BBS 16 was better overall because of all the small groups, everyone had moments to stand out (and I hope I'm not overstepping, but I feel like the mixes were better last year too).

And I always do harmonies for my solo songs, so I'd be completely comfortable doing those if I'm needed to. :tongue:

So now that this conversation is happening, I wonder if it'd be a good idea to already start on the next BBS Project. LOL

#16 JPope

JPope
  • Dick

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:31 PM

Not overstepping at all: the 2016 mixes were better, in large part because they were smaller groups. We also did harmonies on a number of those tracks, which really brought them to life. Would love to do more harmonies in the future.

#17 Sakebi

Sakebi
  • Juice=Juice

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

I agree! I think smaller groups will also lend to a better filter for casting. Having certain people in certain songs together will increase the quality, imo. I think the all cast song chould be more complex in range, but simpler in terms of rhythm, since that seems like a more tedious issue to fix. With Tsugi, the raps (I assume) are harder to put together, along with getting everyone's articulation in step. Honestly, with such a wide range in quality, I think your mix was still amazing. 

Thank you for the compliments on the graphics. If you guys need help with the graphics for the next project, I'd be willing to help if the team isn't able to make time for it again. \

#18 DonJuan

DonJuan
  • ANGERME

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:57 PM

I'm all in for smaller groups. I really liked last years songs as well, and if it's not too much work (because we might need more songs to include everyone) that'd be the best solution imo.

#19 Mukuro

Mukuro
  • モーニング娘。

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:14 PM

I'm down for smaller groups! I think at this point we should start getting things ready now because they're is obviously interest and then we can have months for people to turn in lines.

#20 Sakebi

Sakebi
  • Juice=Juice

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

Maybe just voting on song choices and themes for now, to get the ball rolling? 

#21 DonJuan

DonJuan
  • ANGERME

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me. Looking who is up for it, and which songs we should do.

#22 zlilzlilzlil

zlilzlilzlil
  • Juice=Juice

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:49 PM

I'm quite late to the party!

If I want to be completly honest, I think last year was better in both mixing and also singing for some parts...

Many of the partipicent are really great singers, and this is why it's such a shame when they are not to the best of their quality.

About the songs this year:

Tsugi:

This is somewhat of a mess. I really like alot of the solos (except mine - they are horrible), and also the grouping sound nice, but the fact it was 6 and 4 made it have quite a difference.

also my voice is really loud in the 4 group. I think it's maybe because on general TicTac and WonderBuono tend to be alot on the softer singing.

Kobushi:

The All group sound great. but again, the group of Ryan, TicTac and Mukuro was really quiet compared to the other groups.

I also get what Sakebi said about line distribution, and it's shown alot in this song...

Fiesta:

I really liked this! everyone sounded good and the mixing was great. I was covering in this song... but it resulted in me having lines together with Paru, which is a shame because I could sing in a lower register to blend better with him.

Utakata:

I liked it. I think the two groups was very different in sound, and the need for autotune is a shame... I really love(!) my line with Thea after my "watashi", and also in the chorus I sound so loud. I would have loved to know how Juan and Thea sound without me, because I think my voice was like powering over thiers...

I also hope my head voice wasn't too dreadfull (sorry for this JPope).

I all in for next year. I'm also for smaller groups and for doing harmonies, and maybe I'll even sing in my "guy" voice for a change...

#23 AquaChan

AquaChan
  • こぶしファクトリー

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:22 AM

Thank you you guys for all your great comments  :heart:

I don't record or pratice singing a lot these last 3 years, so it means a lot.

We all sound good, I love the chorus on Kobushi no Hana, did great on Tsugi (it's not an easy song - sorry about the rap line I destroyed here), the 2 smaller groups slaaaaaay.

#24 Thea

Thea
  • 鞘師里保

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

As is my habit, I snuck myself into a song. Can you find it?

But of course! I love it when you appear, haha! :)

That high note. Damn Thea lol.

Thea's high note actually had its own track:

YK2kH8D.jpg

Haha, I laughed when I saw that. Nice! (?) lol.

Spoiler

I think those are mostly sound suggestions. My personal preference as a mixer is to do a single all cast song and the rest smaller group songs. Fitting 10+ singers into a single song is tough when you account for varying qualities of mics and takes. Invariably, some are gonna be buried in the mix just because they had to record on a poor mic or weren't able to really push their voice. It's easier to mitigate that with fewer singers.  I know that this is just for fun, but the better it sounds in the end, the more fun it is.  I do love the idea of one or two small All Star groups (four or fewer) of the strongest singers, though, as we have some good ones here. We basically followed this formula in 2016 if I recall.

Also, the graphics this years were fantastic.

I agree that '16 was great, and this didn't match up to it. I'm still glad we did this, but we had a better spread that year. We'll have to aim for better!

And for all of you talking about starting early, definitely feel free! What I/we think is, Ryan and I are going to kind of step back this year, and let someone else take over! Have a change in management, aye? So, you all should get together, maybe make a thread, and discuss it and get it started! I'll still be here to upload to YT and what not, and of course participate! But I say run with it and get it going. :)