yakitori boy (karaoke)
Thanks for all the ideas, Yuzu!
Jump to content
Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:04 PM
yakitori boy (karaoke)
Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:13 AM
yakitori boy (karaoke)
Thanks for all the ideas, Yuzu!
Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:39 AM
Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:53 PM
Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:05 PM
Posted 14 September 2019 - 01:32 PM
Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:53 PM
As a Babymetal fan, if someone went to a show solely to see Kano or Momoko, it wouldn’t bother me at all.
And that’s not to say people who go just to see Riho aren’t perfectly valid as well. We’re Morning Musume fans, what do you expect?
Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:34 PM
Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:10 PM
Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:25 AM
Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:21 AM
Edit 2: I had good intentions of staying but i made it about two songs... after being on my damaged ankle for two hours already, then the morale drop of no Riho I cracked under the pain. Sorry guys.
Didn't that use to say "sorry aine"? I swear it did back in September because I felt personally called out to reply, just never finding time to put all my thoughts into words.
Anyway, the gist of it was - no worries, my burning passion for Babymetal fizzled out long ago. It got rekindled a little, warily, as news of new developments started to filter through in 2019, only to be doused again by a stream of stale piss.
To avoid writing walls of text here's a laundry list of crap that put me off of it, ordered somewhat chronologically (it ended up a wall of text anyway, sorry):
1. The bullshit way of handling Yui's disappearance. It got off to a bad start (only announcing her absence hours before a major arena show) and only gotten progressively worse from there. One of (but not only) peak bullshit points being how they still didn't come clear about it months later leading up to 2018 US tour, almost fostering hope that she would return for the overseas shows.
2. The bullshit way of handling Mikio's death. Like, drop the fucking act for a second and say some respectful words about the man, rather than continue with your tired Fox God bullshit. (I will be using the word "bullshit" and its variants a lot in this list.)
3. The absolute shitfest that the entirety of 2018 was, on top of losing two key members marred by the horrid "Dark Side" shtick, the farcical "Chosen Seven" circus, and the officially ugliest costumes and makeup ever in the entire history of glam and visual rock.
4. The snorefest that the 2018/19 singles were, "Starlight" especially (the heart-warming theory about it being a tribute to Mikio that people are buying into doesn't make any less boring of a song).
5. The travesty that the fucking comic book was, and especially the fact that people ate it up like it was the best fucking thing under the sun (more on it below).
6. The "fandom". Oh dear lord, the fandom, it deserves a sub-list of its own:
a) The group of people having the wrong idea that somehow they're the stars of the show and making it all about themselves, making it near impossible to scroll through my twitter feed without seeing one of their smug faces...
b) ... and the hordes of orbiters enabling them in that.
c) The people riding Babymetal's popularity to make it a source of side income by selling unauthorised merch, instead of away nice mementos while waiting in line to the venue like many Japanese fans do...
d) ... and the hordes of enablers actually buying their etsy crap.
e) All the hordes of orbiters, enablers and white knights combined who swallow every morsel of shit coming out of Amuse's anus like it was made of gold and who will unfollow, mute and downvote you to death if you dare express even a hint of criticism about anything Babymetal and Amuse does.
f) That's a lot of words to say that from a cool closely-knit bunch the fandom has grown into a tumorous mass that's more like H!O on steroids, to give you a familiar point of reference.
7. The sore disappointment and slap in the face that "Avengers" were. Just pick a fucking new member already, stop leading people on. I don't even care if it's not Riho, actually I'm torn between being happy about the unique exposure and stage time Riho got with that gig, and being pissed off that in the end she was just a placeholder that could be (and by the basic concept of it, was) replaced by anyone, or at best an anonymous sidekick to a sidekick who doesn't even get a mic and is just there to go through the moves. (I think Berry gave me a fair counter-argument to this point but I can't remember how it went exactly so won't try to repeat it.)
8. The fact that the last music video with actual concept and effort put into it was "Megitsune" back in 2013. "Road of Resistance" is great and fun to watch but live "music videos" don't cut it on my "effort" scale. And "Karate" MV sucked for a number of reasons.
9. The fact that US tour got sloppy seconds of some Western cover band instead of the real Kami Band, and the fact how someone at Amuse though people were stupid enough to be tricked by the full-face mask they performed in. I go to Babymetal concerts to see the girls just as much as to see BoH, Ohmura and others, and on this tour there were only 2 out of 7 people I'd pay to see perform.
10. The new album which was a let down and which after giving it multiple tries I don't care about. There are two actually good, by virtue of being fun, unique, or memorable, songs on it ("Oh majinai" and "BxMxC", also "Shanti Shanti" gets a honorable mention for catchiness and Fucking Hero's breakdown in "Papaya" even though I can't remember rest of the song), one of which is a Japan-exclusive track, the rest being sleep-inducing dadrock, skippable cringy nu-metal, or something entirely different but likewise uninteresting and unmemorable. Also one of greatest things about Babymetal was Suzuka's fantastic powerful voice but on the new album it's almost nowhere to be heard, obscured by filters, auto-tune, and terrible over-production that gives you aural sensory overload rather than pleasure of listening to fun music. (I still somehow ended up with about 10 copies of it on various media, fuck you Koba and your foxish tricks.)
I've had a lot of this building up over the last 2 years so thanks for giving me a pretext to get it off my chest.
I feel sad it ended like this. You'd think that my former oshi (I still hate this word btw, but when I say it I do mean it to the fullest extent) joining my ultra-favorite group alongside my current oshi would be mind-blowingly amazing, but at the end of the day and after all of the above I felt too numb and disillusioned to care. If you've known me and what crazy Babymetal fan I was (and the stupid amounts of money I threw at them) you can imagine how bad it must have been and what prolonged systematic destruction it took to get to this point.
My last regret is not going to the concert all decked out in my Morning Musume and Riho swag from back in the day and maybe having her notice her t-shirt or glowstick. It might have been an okay closure to a wonderful thing that for me started some eight years ago now.
Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:20 PM
Well we definitely have different tastes... I am obsessed with Metal Galaxy and "Starlight" is my favorite song on it (it sounds boring on YouTube but when it's on CD in my car with the volume up, it's way better, idk; also awesome live); and the only song I actually skip is "Oh Majinai" because I think it's obnoxious. xD
That said, it shouldn't be surprising... I'll guess you're more of a metal fan, whereas I am more of a pop fan. When you blend two styles, it's hard to please everybody.
I will agree with you on one thing though... I wish they'd make another real music video. The live ones are ok but definitely lazy.