1. Otona na no yo! / 1oku 3zenman Sou Diet Oukoku VS 16. Happiness ~Koufuku Kangei!~
A reminder that not all of Berryz early stuff was gold.
2. Motto Zutto Issho ni Itakatta / ROCK Erotic VS 15. 21ji Made no Cinderella
I voted for 21ji Made no Cinderella. Don't judge me. Cinderella is the only catchy song out of the six in this match-up.
3. Dschinghis Khan VS 14. Be Genki (Naseba Naru!)
I liked Dschinghis Khan more when it was called Koi no Dance Site. I don't have a huge problem with stealing/recycling, but this doesn't bring anything fresh to the table. Be Genki, on the other hand, has really interesting changes, especially the major-to-minor switch in the verse. I really like this one a lot.
4. Romance wo Katatte / Towa no Uta VS 13. Watashi no Mirai no Danna-sama / Ryuusei Boy
I've been guilty of ragging on Berryz's last few singles, but Romance is quite good. It's clearly the better of the lead songs, and although the DANCE☆MAN goodness of Ryuusei Boy gives it a run for its money, I still went with Romance.
5. Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba VS 12. Piriri to Yukou!
Piriri to Yukou! is fun, but Kokuhaku no Funsui Hiroba is the sort of down tempo pop that Tsunku is really great at.
6. Gag 100kaibun Aishite Kudasai VS 11. Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi
How many more copies would Gag 100kaibun Aishite Kudasai have sold had it been recorded by 1st gen Mini Moni? Probably a lot more.
7. WANT! VS 10. VERY BEAUTY
VERY BEAUTY might be hackneyed mid-tempo Jpop, but WANT! is like a meth-head constantly heading nowhere in particular. VB has the better B-side, too.
8. Fighting Pose wa Date ja nai! VS 9. Waracchaou yo BOYFRIEND
Transparently retro songs have to be amazing for me to really like them -- think Shining Itoshiki Anata -- and while Waracchaou yo BOYFRIEND has a great chorus, it doesn't quite beat the ridiculously catchy Fighting Pose for me.