• Please log in to reply
Movies Watch anything recently? 1058 replies to this topic Started by Tallgeese , Feb 08 2009 09:05 AM · 

#1051 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

And now that I can get off of my high horse I'd also like to say that Shin Godzilla is a better Evangelion movie than all the Rebuilds put together. :lmfao:

Considering only one out of the three released so far is even good, that's not saying much. =P
I'm looking forward to that movie too (I read some other reviews that said it's a return to form for Anno), but it's playing nowhere near me, so I'm going probably just going for a "1080p.BR.mkv". Or stream it if available soon.

#1052 aine

aine
  • 名無しさん‮

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

I missed the only screening of it in my area in December and was very mad about it, but since Blu-Ray came out some 2 weeks ago you can fill in the blank yourself. :dancer:

#1053 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:37 PM

Check out my film blog for a writeup on the anime hit KIMI NO NA WA (released in the U.S. as YOUR NAME), one of the best new anime features in years.

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/

Scroll down to my Nov. 1, 2016 entry for my writeup on SHIN GODZILLA, one of the best films of 2016.

#1054 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 12 April 2017 - 06:39 AM

Sometimes I'm not sure if Madara is just a PR guy for his blog and reacts like a bot to certain words or actually reads what the others wrote. lol

#1055 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

Okay, so I didn't check the page before this before I posted. Sometimes it's months since anybody posted something here, so I didn't check. I just wanted to get the word out so people would read my blog.

If it'll make you happy, I'm seconding Aine's opinion.

#1056 Ap2000

Ap2000
  • It's a wonderApl life

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

It was just such a good timing. *g*

#1057 showraniy

showraniy
  • ANGERME

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

Completely unrelated to the above, but the Hollywood Ghost in the Shell live action was actually a decent movie. They skipped out on the philosophical ponderings of the Mamoru Oshii film, but hey, it was pretty and was clearly made by a huge fan with all the homages to the franchise peppered throughout.

It made for a good Sunday afternoon get-out-of-the-house distraction.

#1058 aine

aine
  • 名無しさん‮

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:45 PM

Check out my film blog for a writeup on the anime hit KIMI NO NA WA (released in the U.S. as YOUR NAME), one of the best new anime features in years.

Sometimes I'm not sure if Madara is just a PR guy for his blog and reacts like a bot to certain words or actually reads what the others wrote. lol

That post right after our conversation certainly did tingle my spam sense. :lol:

I went to see Your Name in a theatre again earlier this week. I haven't done that since the first Matrix movie (and I pity the young ones who were not there to experience how paradigm changing The Matrix was, regardless of how much of meme it became later or how bad the sequels were). In a way, it's even better on a second viewing. Which may not be my last either, since it's playing until at least next Thursday around here.

A few remarks about your review Madara. I'm pretty sure "Your Name" is the official English title chosen by the creators rather than Funi. It appears in most of the Japanese promo materials anyway.

I'm surprised you don't remember Voices of a Distant Star. It was Shinkai's breakthrough work, created almost entirely by himself, and is thematically and emotionally very similar to Your Name. And just about as heart-wrenching. At least to me it was and is an unforgettable work.

Finally, this is more of a personal taste, but I thought the songs fit the movie and the mood perfectly. And it's not the first time that songs were a prominent part of Shinkai's works - see Voices again.

And since I'm nitpicking, personally I didn't care for the laundry list of the 50 or so old movies with somewhat similar premises or themes to Your Name. :tongue: And I would care even less if was actually familiar with any of them and thus got an idea of Your Name's plot from it. I went into the cinema without knowing a single thing about it other than that it was Shinkai's latest work, which to me is a sufficient recommendation - though I suppose it may not be to an average viewer not familiar with his previous works.

A few things I picked up on the second viewing. Some were purely visual, some were tied to the plot, but all made me love the movie even more.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Taki and Mitsuha using "iPhones" that are 2 or 3 generations apart - it wasn't just a coincidence, but the fact that Taki's model didn't exist in Mitsuha's timeline yet.

The days of the week on their phones being different for the same dates - placing them respectively in 2013 and 2016.

The (pretty obvious) red string of fate theme, also appearing in the flashback montage in many forms, including that of umbilical cord.

More subtle details of how their lives changed or were affected - Mitsuha starting to sleep with her bra on, or having her hair only tied rather than carefully braided on "Taki days" since Taki presumably didn't know how to braid.

The female names in the Miyamizu family following the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 theme - Hitoha (一葉, grandmother), Futaba (二葉, mother), Mitsuha (三葉), Yotsuha (四葉).

The meteor in the flashback becoming the source of life.

Finally, in the culmination, them leaving behind the "most valuable thing" to be able to leave "the Underworld" - their memory of each other.

I may add more later because I feel I forgot some already. Maybe after the third viewing!

Also, some (spoilerific) translations of a few of Taki and Mitsuha's notes to each other.

#1059 Madara

Madara
  • ANGERME

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:28 PM

I appreciate your critique and feedback, Aine. I don't often get a sense of how these things play, particularly my rundown of (four!) older movies with similar themes. I realize that things that seem important to me may not strike others the same way and things that seem unimportant to me (e.g. the songs) may be very important to others. But I find that true of how I perceive most things these days. If it's not too much trouble to leave a comment on my blog so other readers can get another viewpoint, I'd appreciate that. Or, if it's okay with you, I'll just copy and paste your comment, leaving out the "Madara" reference, saying this was a response from a friend on another forum.

Thanks.

P.S. I made a few changes to my piece in response to your critique.