Oh, I wanted to post here for some time now but I always forgot haha. But now is the time!
A general sketch of my overall opinion on the songs this year, going by the colour-coding love, like, neutral and dislike:
Morning Musume '18
- Hana ga Saku Taiyou Abite: Basically, that song with the flower dance that was released digitally around the time of the 20th anniversary celebrations. It's not bad.
- Otenki no Hi no Matsuri: I honestly didn't know this song. Turns out it was released on the mini-album. Reminds me of the filler song of their older albums.
- Are you Happy?: Gotta be honest: When it was released I thought it was trash. Turned out to be the enjoyable kind of trash, though.
- A gonna: Dragging on forever, eh. Basically all that I dislike about MM nowadays. Boring, no point, forcefully cool.
- Furari Ginza: It's a fun song and different from the other a-sides they have released this year. I like that.
- Jiyuu na Kuni Dakara: Once again it's a ... kind of pointless EDM song. The message would be great if it didn't feel forced. It's not bad but I honestly can never remember the melody.
- Y Jiro no Tochuu: I should like it more than I actually do. It's cute. But I just do not like ballads.
Over all this colour-coding looks better than what I had in mind for MM this year. Lots of meh, but only one that is really bad.
- Nakenai ze...Kyoukan Sagi: That's the one they opened the Paris concert with. Always a good memory. It's a good song in general.
- Uraha=Lover: Had to look it up on YouTube because I couldn't remember the melody. The song is forgettable but the MV is really nice.
- Kimi Dake ja nai sa...friends (2018 Acoustic Ver.): Yeah... the first version of this was enough. Still like it because the song in general is nice, but there's been some choices in the line-distribution that were not optimal.
- Natsu Shogun: This is something I'd expect of UUG. Not bad but not very memorable either.
- Tade Kuu Mushi mo Like it!: Yeah, same. It's good. But I think I never went back to listen to it again.
- 46-okunen LOVE: Pretty much the deal breaker here. I've been listening to this song every day since it came out. It's just what I want of H!P. I want whacky funk and disco sounds!
ANGERME rarely has years where I like all releases. 46oku is the best H!P release this year, though.
- SEXY SEXY: It grew in me more than I thought. It's kind of awkward seeing Yanami sing it but for Tomoko? Nice.
- Naite Ii yo: Ballad, you know what that means.
- Vivid Midnight: THE song of early 2018.
- Never Never Surrender: Much better in concert. Listening to it on the album is kind of boring.
- Jouro (Album Version): Filler. I don't understand why they had to put it on the album as well.
- TOKYO Glider: Just the kind of sound that I love for Juice.
- Synchro.: Ballad-ish. Next.
- Abaretekka?! Have a Good Time: It's okay for listening to it as part of a playlist while doing something else, but I wouldn't choose it by itself.
- Sunao ni Amaete: Smooth. But same as Abaretekka.
- Goal ~Ashita wa Acchi da yo~ (Album Version): Another song that I wouldn't like as much if I hadn't had the experience of Tomoko singing it basically into my face <3
- Gin'iro no Telepathy: Lots of fillers on this album.
- Kono Sekai wa Suteta Mon ja nai: Now that's the kind of filler that I like. It's nothing outstanding but it showcasts Juice's voices quite well.
- Kindan Shoujo: Uh... another filler.
- Wonderful World (2018 English Ver.): Unnecessary English version. Wonderful World has been my least favourite Juice single for a long time and I'd probably dislike it... if it wasn't for the overseas concerts. Sigh. It grew on me, okay?
Honestly? That album was a disappointment. Aside from TOKYO Glider no (previously not released) song was a real winner for me. At least their single was good. (Another year with only one single for Juice?)
- Matenai After Five: Cute and a bit swingy.
- Kasa wo Sasu Senpai: Kind of sounds like they wanted to re-do Koi wa Magnet. On low budget. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Just disband them already and stop hurting me with half-cooked releases.
- Kore Kara da!: "I've got to find my way [part 1]". Meh.
- Ashita Tenki ni Naare: "I've got to find my way [part 2] [rock vers.]". Uhm.
- Kitto Watashi wa: "I've got to find my way [part 3] [I've gotten better vers.]". I'm seeing a pattern here.
- Naseba Naru: "I've got to find my way [part 4] [Nope, still miserable vers.]". Hey, Up-Front?
I wouldn't question that they actually put some thought into these releases, and even a bit of money looking at their MVs, but honestly? Four redemption songs? Where's the rockish Kobushi that felt like they were ready to threw their fists (heh) at you? Gone with the three rascals apparently.
- Shunrenka: It's cute and I really like the melody.
- I Need You ~Yozora no Kanransha~: Not my kind of music. The "I need you" parts are cute, though.
- Date no Hi wa Nido Kurai Shower Shite Dekaketai: One of those songs that profited a lot from the MV. Nothing special aside from that, though.
- Junjou cm: It's pretty much what I want from an idol song. Cute girls, a good chorus, an MV that looks like it wasn't completed last minute.
- Kon'ya Dake Ukaretakatta: One of my favourites this year.
- Hyoumen Chouryoku ~Surface Tension~: I like the melody but I feel like I'll have forgotten it in the next 10 minutes.
- Kanousei no Concerto: Could be an ani song.
- Kaerou Let's Go!: No wait, this sounds like an ani song.
- Yuki no Planetarium: I think this might be one of the most liked songs from this album but I do not quite get the hype. Granted, no other song has really caught me yet either.
- Happy Cracker: Tsubaki finally has a fire-up concert song!
- Furisake Mireba...: Ballad.
- LET'S LIVE: This sounds like an ani--- oh wait I see a pattern here. Oh wait, it's a v-u-den song? Huh?
- Jiriri Kiteru: Hm. Berryz' version is more powerful, but Tsubaki's version sounds more harmonic?
- Tokai no Hitorigurashi: °C-ute's version is much better but a good song stays a good song, especially since they didn't change the instrumental.
- Tsukiatteru no ni Kataomoi: Same was Tokai no Hitorigurashi.
- ENDLESS YOUTH: Gotta be that person now and say that I never got into Melon Kinenbi - because of songs like this. They just... drag on. Unfortunately Tsubaki aren't good enough vocalists to fix it either.
- To add to the list: The two songs for the Trolls show were good as well.
Well, what to say? Tsubaki are on a run. Their singles are good, and albums are fillers after all.
Kenshuusei / Kenshuusei Hokkaido
- Ice day Party:
- Yacchae! GO! GO!:
- Tadashii Seishun tte Nan Darou:
- Medatte Do Dance:
- Mirai e Tsunagu Yakusoku:
Honestly I'm gonna skip this for now. KSS did not impress me this year, the best ones debuted or left anyway.
- Morning Coffee (20th Anniversary Ver.) (Morning Musume 20th): Yeah, uh... they re-did Morning Coffee. That's... not groundbreaking. Not a fan of the rockish sound, though.
- WE ARE LEADERS! ~Leaders tte no mo Tsurai Mono~ (Morning Musume 20th): That's the kind of song that I want from a 20th anniversary. Nice. Charming.
- ENDLESS HOME (Morning Musume 20th): Did we really need another Abe focused / basically Abe solo song? On an MM album on top of that? (Also, it's a ballad.)
- Tane wo Tsubasa (Wings of the Seed) (Morning Musume 20th): Reminds me of their first album. It's nothing special but has a nice flow.
- Hyokkori Hyoutanjima (Kobushi & Tsubaki Factory): I like this remake.
- YEAH YEAH YEAH (Hello Pro All Stars, and the group focused ones): All white and all boring.
- Akogare no Stress-free (Hello Pro All Stars): It's pretty cool, but the forced kind of cool. Still a nice beat.
- Hana, Takenawa no Toki (Hello Pro All Stars): Ballad. Ballad. Ballad.
- Hello! History (Hello Pro All Stars): Boom. Why wasn't this an a-side again? Gdi, Up-Front.
Also adding: That Megane song by Beyoooooooooooooooooooooonds: Eh. Could've been good but why did they have to speed it up so much?
I might add a real ranking later.