Movies

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Madara
ANGERME

Re: Movies

Post by Madara »

[quote="yuzuriha"]
THE TRAILER FOR PACIFIC RIM WAS A WORK OF ART SHOW

I'm just mad Ryan is not available at the moment because no one else I'm friends with will go see it with me :cryalot:
[/quote]

Giant robots, giant monsters and men and women in mobile suits...what's not to love? This looks likeTransformers, Power Rangers, Ultraman and Godzilla all rolled into one. How can any fan of Japanese pop culture not rush out to see it? All that's missing is a J-pop star or two. 
Last edited by Madara on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

It has Mana Ashida in it. She counts.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
[/quote]

I'm rather excited about Rinko Kikuchi being in it.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I swear I must be an anamoly then because I really don't see what's so interesting about it. :lol: Honestly, I want to see it for pretty CG and the fact that Del Toro's name is on it. Other than that, I'm expecting it to be good but not seeing any real proof it will be, at least as far as the trailer goes.

But I'm optimistic, guys! Really, I expect to enjoy it, just not be blown away or anything.

Ap has also ruined RIPD for me before I've seen it, because now I'll constantly draw parallels with MIB while watching it. :cryalot:
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

[quote="Madara"]
How can any fan of Japanese pop culture not rush out to see it?
[/quote]

Kojima agrees.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
<a class="" href="https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN"><b>✔</b> @<b>HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN</b> </a>
<div>
<p class="">Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this?
<p class=""> 
<p class=""> 
<p class=""> 
<p class="">(full)
<p class="">Dear twitter friends, The followings are my comment regarding "Pacific Rim". Luckily I was allowed to tweet in public by WB. I have never imagined that I would be fortunate enough to see a film like this in my life. The emotional rush I had inside me was the same kind I had when I felt the outer space via "2001: A Space Odyssey" and when I had touched the dinosaur in "Jurassic Park". Animation and special effects movies and shows that I loved in my childhood days - they all truly exist in the screen. Director Guillermo del Toro offers this spectacular vision of massive kaijus and robots in PACIFIC RIM. This film is not simply a film to be respected, but most importantly, it let us dream the future of entertainment movies. Pacific Rim is the ultimate otaku film that all of us had always been waiting for. Who are you, if you are Japanese and won't watch this? I hope you would accept this inspirational love letter that had traveled across the Pacific, written by Director Guillermo del Toro.
</div>

</blockquote>

:hawhaw:
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Kojima, please !
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

I have to admit, the "who are you" line had me rolling with laughter the first time I read it. :rofl:
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Looking at the majority of reactions here we may have a BBS all time favourite movie at hand if it stands up to the expectations. :lol:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

The Lone Ranger or Pacific Rim? Hmm.... Hard choice actually. It's monthly movie night with my father and I know he would like to see The Lone Ranger, but... Pacific Rim! Ugh... I want to see that. And it's in 3D too! 

This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

The Lone Ranger bombed hard and is reviled by both critics and regular people. Stay far away from it.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I saw Pacific Rim. It was action packed and predictable, but Mana!!! 
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Pacific Rim was the most awesome thing ever conceived by humanity!!!!!!!!

Also, Pacific Rim was done by Legendary Pictures.

The new Godzilla movie is being done by Legendary Pictures.

Do the math...
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Pacific Rim 2 minus the machines? >:
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
Pacific Rim was the most awesome thing ever conceived by humanity!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

THIS, THIS, SO MUCH THIS.

All my feels:

Dear Guillermo del Toro,

Thank you for bringing the magic of movies back into my life.

Much love,
Desi

(I may have to remember my twitter login just to tell him this)

Objectively, it was not a perfect film by a large margin. I did have several things I did not like.

But it is a perfect homage to the genre of which it is spawned. It is a rousing tale of good guys versus bad guys, a hero that succeeds in battling his internal demons to win the day, a supporting cast that provides the needed comic relief and genuinely feels like a team, and the monsters. The monsters. Unique, their animations were spectacular, fearsome, smart. The Jaegars were amazeballs too. The way they moved, each one felt unique. The tank moved like a tank would. The super high tech new model moved like an Eva in its smoothness, yet still felt like it had weight in the real world. That's the most impressive thing - each mecha is varied, and each one has its own weight and movements that make sense in the real world. The animation for the mechs v kaiju feel real. The mechas are clunky. The kaiju are agile and smooth. It's glorious to behold. And the fights, oh my the fights! Riveting! Exciting! I was just sitting there with my mouth agape having nerdgasm after nerdgasm! (I really wish we could have seen more of the other teams fight though. We only really saw 2 in major action sequences, and I would have loved to have seen more of the others)

It was so much fun. I loved every second. Yes, del Toro is my favorite director, and I'm sure I forgave some things that I wouldn't have forgiven others, but all the things I didn't like were overshadowed by what was pitch perfect and I am probably going to see it another 3-5 times in the theater, no lie.

I may see it in 3D once, may not, I dunno. It was a post conversion on the live action parts, the 3D animation was done in 3D, but there were only a couple of shots that were direct 3D (you know the shots by now, the ones where things fly directly at the camera), but seeing those Kaiju attack in 3D may be worth it. I dunno. I am not a fan of the muted colors required in 3D, and nearly all the fights take place at night, so I'm not sure how well the fights will look onscreen.

I can also finally read through the artbook (which on a quick flip through, is BEAUTIFULLY DONE. If you loved the film (Al!) do yourself a favor and get the artbook. It is *muah* so so good) because I didn't want to spoil myself)
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
Pacific Rim 2 minus the machines? >:
[/quote]

Destroy All Kaiju, a movie that puts Godzilla and friends in with Jaegers, either against each other or another threat from beyond.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
[/quote]

I just got back from seeing it. I didn't realize that was Mana! I've already seen her in two New Year's music specials from 2011 and I may even have complained about her in one of my blog entries on those specials. This means I've seen her in one more thing than I've seen Rinko Kikuchi in (seen previously only in BABEL and in person when she was at the press screening of that film). But Mana was really good in this and her scenes are among the best in the film. (She appears in a flashback as Rinko's character as a child who survived a Kaiju attack on Tokyo.)

Also, it was nice for a Hollywood film to have an Asian lead actress. I'll have more to say on the film when I marshal my thoughts.

ADDENDUM: Okay, I found my curmudgeonly quote on poor little Mana from my blog entry of Jan. 16, 2012, covering that year's Kohaku Uta Gassen special. I didn't even i.d. her by name:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
There was a big Disney number featuring those two insufferable little kids who also cluttered up FNS. I didn’t even mention them in those blog entries. At least they’re only in one number here—but it’s a big one, so it’s unavoidable. The number explodes into a huge Disney thing, with the brats singing a verse or two from “When You Wish Upon a Star” and Arashi coming out to do a dance number to “It’s a Small World,” where they’re joined by a bunch of Disney characters. It’s pretty spectacular if you’re a Disney fan. I’m not.

</blockquote>

Here are pictures:

Last edited by Madara on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Just to add a sum-up of my mixed feelings about PACIFIC RIM. It has a lot of good stuff in it and some brilliant and original touches, but given how expensive it was and how filled to the brim with action and special effects, I felt the human element lacking. The character that had the most impact, I believe, was young Mako Mori, the one played by Mana Ashida in the flashbacks. I had the strongest emotional reaction to those scenes.

There was a notable lack of chemistry among the cast members. They didn't always seem to be performing in the same movie. In order for something like this to truly work (the way it does in, say, THE MATRIX) everyone has to be on the same page, i.e. in the same universe, the same world. They all have to understand their place in it and I didn't quite get that here.

Also, I felt the film needed some humor. There are two comic relief scientist characters but no one wrote them any funny material. They never do or say anything funny, even though there's room for comic lines and situations.

Overall, I prefer the simpler pleasures of actual Japanese kaiju movies and giant robot anime. Things got overly complicated in this one. And the final journey into the "breach" looked too much like Hell and was a little too disturbing for my tastes. To get my head straight since seeing this, I watched GODZILLA TOKYO SOS, SUPER INFRAMAN and SPACE AMOEBA over the weekend. Oh, and M.D. GEIST!

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

A Batman x Superman movie has been announced:
<a href="http://www.imdb.com/news/ni55947321/?re ... w_tp_t2</a>

I find this kinda hilarious.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

The Batman/Superman comics are pretty good, but this reeks of desperation. Basically they're saying that no DC franchise is worth shit unless they put Batman in it.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
The Batman/Superman comics are pretty good, but this reeks of desperation. Basically they're saying that no DC franchise is worth shit unless they put Batman in it.
[/quote]

Saw some of the covers and they looked rather funny and, yes I know they're comics lol, comical.

I have a similar feeling, it just seems like a cheap cashgrab, because, undoubtly it will be making lotsa money.
I can fully understand Christian Bale not wanting to reprise his role as the new Batman.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Yesterday, July 20, was the 40th anniversary of the death of Bruce Lee. I watched "How Bruce Lee Changed the World," a documentary, and I did a tribute to him on my film blog:

<a href="http://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2013 ... -today/</a>

And I tell the story of how I got this statuette:

Last edited by Madara on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748122/">[b]Moonrise Kingdom[/b]</a> - I loved every blissfully innocent and quirky minute of it. I saw the first few minutes on a plane last year and knew it deserved better treatment. Now I just regret waiting this long to watch it properly. It's pure and magical and if you don't feel its magic then you should sit down and mourn because your inner child must be dead and gone forever. Speaking of children, I cringe at nearly every line uttered by child actors in any movie, yet Moonrise Kingdom easily takes a spot among my top favourites.

And for something completely different, Pacific Rim time tonight. Finally!

Oh and I just accidentally found this gem:

- You know what they call The Hunger Games in Japan?
- Battle Royale with Cheese.
Last edited by aine on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="158320" data-time="1374590011">Pacific Rim</blockquote>
Nope. :sad:

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

<a href="http://stormingtheivorytower.blogspot.c ... html">This is an awesome article about the visual language of Pacific Rim.</a>

This is why I love filmmakers like Del Toro and Edgar Wright so much. Yeah, you might see "dumb entertainment" on the surface, but once you really explore what is actually going on on the screen, you find a much deeper film.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="158320" data-time="1374590011">
Pacific Rim
</blockquote>

Nope. :sad:

[/quote]

"Nope," you didn't go see it?  Or "Nope" you didn't like it?
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

I saw This Is The End tonight and I freaking LOVED it.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47_-pqoPDVQ">Because Japanese history needs more white people to save the day. Also feudal Japan is now apparently a shitty Wuxia film.</a>

Fuck this movie.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

How does that skeleton tattoo <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQb4bMI ... r-model</a> guy keep getting work? Also, I'm sorry, was that a damn lightsaber and Admiral Ackbar?
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="158385" data-time="1374628794">"Nope," you didn't go see it?  Or "Nope" you didn't like it?</blockquote>
"Nope" as in "I'm so disappointed".

Admittedly it did start with sparkly eyes and a wide nerdgasmic grin of joy, but as the time went by it progressed towards yawning and exchanging the "what the fuck did I just watch" stares.

On a purely visual level it's a very enjoyable eye candy, but that's about it. It's a shit film. I did not feel engaged at all. I did not care about the two dimensional cardboard characters. I did not care about the cliche story.

The film couldn't seem to decide what it wants to be, a serious epic action or a self-conscious comedy. It ends up being neither and instead is an incoherent mess. Miike's Yattaman is a better comedy and a better giant robot movie because it sticks to being a comedy. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is a better epic scale monsters from the deep movie because it sticks to being epic. And its computer generated characters were way more memorable than anyone in Pacific Rim.

Every time those two scientists came on screen my immersion and suspension of disbelief would shatter. They made me feel like I was suddenly watching MST3K instead.

Whenever you could see kaiju in better light they looked like rubber suit monsters. Yes, I know they basically are rubber suit monsters by their origin. But when they move with agility and speed of real predatory animals there's a dissonance. You can play the cultural reference card on them. I say they just scream of cheap CG that belongs in a 2000's TV series.

I read the article that Al linked and I thought that in general it was rather pretentious rubbish. I agree that visually the film was good. But that's one of the few ways in which it was good at all. Unfortunately just doing a good job on mecha and character design and colour concept does not make a good film.

I also though that Mako was the best character, but not for reasons described in the article. She was the only one with some sort of personality and depth to her, though that's still being generous thanks to the shallowness of everyone else. Her reservedness, silence and restrain spoke tons more than everyone else's epic speeches and brawling. I also agree with Madara that the retrospections of her as a little girl were the best part of the film. But still so cliched. Oh noes, a little girl in distress with a huge monster at large.

Al's article ascribed oceanic depths to her blue hair highlights. Strawberry on the other hand thought it was to make her face look less wide. She also pointed out that since she was raised by Stacker, why did she speak with Japanese accent?

Now for the good... If that live action NGE ever comes though, the visual bar is now set very high. I loved the weight and the juiciness of the battles. This was the first time I felt that the scale and weight of a giant robot battle was properly conveyed since the Asuka vs Eva Series battle in End of Evangelion. Music and sound effects were a very solid piece of workmanship too, complimenting the visual side perfectly. As I already said, the visual concept and design was good. And I like me some Ron Perlman, too.

All in all, it just didn't work. And believe me, I wanted it to work so much. I'll probably still buy it and watch again for the eye candy, but I can't believe this is by the same man who brought us the wonderful and subtle Pan's Labyrinth. And that bonus scene after the CG part of the credits was the final nail to the coffin. I fully expected a cheap sequel hook when it started, but they actually managed to make it ever worse.

Now excuse me while I go drown my sorrows in a bottle of Jaegermeister. ;/

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47_-pqoPDVQ">Because Japanese history needs more white people to save the day. Also feudal Japan is now apparently a shitty Wuxia film.</a>

Fuck this movie.
[/quote]

Ditto. And it doesn't seem to have much to do with the original 47 Ronin story either. 

Oh, and where did all those Japanese learn English at a time when all westerners had been kicked out of Japan for at least a century (except a handful of Dutch)?