What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

al kusanagi
つんく♂

Re: What are you playing?

Post by al kusanagi »

No one is playing Saints Row 4? Seriously, that game is pure joy distilled into video game form! Also, the best use of licensed music ever.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
No one is playing Saints Row 4? Seriously, that game is pure joy distilled into video game form! Also, the best use of licensed music ever.
[/quote]

The game look fun as hell, but I'm going to wait for a (small!) price reduction. It looks like it plays pretty poop on consoles and I'm really trying to push my gaming habits that way since getting my laptop (which is now 90% work-oriented) setup for gaming is such a rigamarole. 
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

It's fine on consoles. Yeah, it looks better on high end machines, but there isn't anything that diminishes it on consoles if you can't play it on PC.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Al Kusanagi" data-cid="161441" data-time="1377550377">
It's fine on consoles. Yeah, it looks better on high end machines, but there isn't anything that diminishes it on consoles if you can't play it on PC.</blockquote>

Giant Bomb did a quick look and the framerate took a nosedive when turbo boosting really fast and they, in no uncertain terms, called the PC the best way to play it.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

They were playing off the disk. It performs much better when loaded onto the system.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

The Wii U gets a much needed price drop, eventhough it's not big enough, and there's now a 2DS handheld:
<a href="http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/wii-u ... 0-4728/</a>
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Well fuck, I got beaten to posting the news again. But I'll still say what the actual fuck am I looking at, and where is my 3DS Lite Nintendo?

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Man, I could be down for a cheaper 3DS, but it's not even a clam-shell form! It looks like a doorstop and the uneven screen sizes are so noticeable. I wonder how annoying it would be to use those new, higher up shoulder buttons...

I got Spelunky yesterday when it debuted on PSN. Damn that game is hard... I've also been addicted to Bit Trip Runner 2. It's just the right type of game that I'm trying to get Perfect/Perfect+ on each level before I move on. I was worried about the 2D>3D transition, but the game plays practically the same as the first. 

Killer is Dead is supposed to be delivered today. I won't have anytime tonight to play, but I've got the rest of the week off, so I'll be diving right in. Reviews have been mixed, but it wouldn't be a Suda51 game if they weren't. 

[edit] Okay, so I definitely just bought a Vita right now. Got a used one on Amazon for $150 plus a 16GB memory card and Lumines to come in right above $200. With so many cross-buy games coming up plus remote play and PS+ free games, it's definitely a potentially viable platform for me.
Last edited by neshcom on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Not video games, but some friends and I decided "Why the hell not?" and we've gotten into <a href="http://heroclix.com/#axzz2dGzx84tM">Heroclix.</a> It's pretty fun and far more in depth and strategic than I thought it would be.

Besides, what other game lets me play a team of Captain America, Booker from Bioshock Infinite, and freakin' Gipsy Danger from Pacific Rim, fighting against Spider-Man, Batman, and Ryu from Street Fighter?
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="neshcom"]
Man, I could be down for a cheaper 3DS, but it's not even a clam-shell form! It looks like a doorstop and the uneven screen sizes are so noticeable. I wonder how annoying it would be to use those new, higher up shoulder buttons...
[/quote]

I imagine it being a lot better on the hands, actually, even if it looks weird.
I've played some 3D Mario world on my niece's 3DS XL and you do have to cramp your fingers a bit.

EDIT:
WHAT THE SHIT AHAHAHA
<a href="http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewsto ... =210991</a>
The thing is actually one big touch screen, but the plastic casing makes it look like it's two screens.
This is also the reason why you can't clap it shut.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kahoryn
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by Kahoryn »

I'll tell you what I'm NOT playing.  FFXIV.  Because they can't get their shit straight.  Official launch was yesterday and you still can't log into a world server because they are "full" and the queue is over 100 and they don't have a system in place to kick out people who are idle, so people have been logged in since Sunday.  It's annoying because this is the first MMO I've liked in a while and I can't even play it.  I am a sad panda.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
last.fm | twitter | tumblr
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kahoryn" data-cid="161632" data-time="1377734094">I'll tell you what I'm NOT playing.  FFXIV.  Because they can't get their shit straight.  Official launch was yesterday and you still can't log into a world server because they are "full" and the queue is over 100 and they don't have a system in place to kick out people who are idle, so people have been logged in since Sunday.  It's annoying because this is the first MMO I've liked in a while and I can't even play it.  I am a sad panda.</blockquote>
I get "unable to obtain the world list".

I can access the JP list....except every server is full.

......................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCKING WASTE OF MONEY.

Guess I'll play Tales of Xillia some more and try again next month. :|

Or maybe not. If I keep trying and failing, does that mean I can take part in the inevitable class-action suit?
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Dude, Kiler is Dead is pretty good. I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm getting acquainted to the overarching themes. Hopefully, the ending brings it all to a cohesive point because the payoff could be big. The gameplay is decently deep, but challenging. There isn't a whole lot of variety in the enemies, but the levels are gorgeous and the unique gameplay mechanics are well-paced. The music is ansolutely killer and Akira Yamaoka is still the best composer ever ever. I will almost definitely put the OST in my rotation. Honestly, there's something fun and potentially poignant here and Suda51's somewhat involvement promises to ask you some really good questions about what your life choices mean and who owns the world. Who knows? It may be girls for all we know.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Petit Melon" data-cid="161826" data-time="1377913389">FUCKING WASTE OF MONEY.</blockquote>
Just like every MMO ever the first (at least) two weeks...
You guys should start learning from the past.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kahoryn
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by Kahoryn »

I get that and "the world is full!" because Square Enix can't figure it out.  I really wouldn't mind moving to a less populated server, but for $25 a character move and 99% of the servers are full anyway, well, what's the point?

I'm on Leviathan.  Apparently that was a hugely popular choice for many people in the beginning because it was one of the first NA servers to fill up.  -_-  I just like that summon... I would have gone with another server had I known!

I played WoW during the original beta and I don't remember this epic caliber of fail... although, it was like 10 years ago... (holy shit)
<p class="bbc_center">Image
last.fm | twitter | tumblr
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

Finished Killer is Dead and I really enjoyed it. The gameplay was nice for a hack and slash and the music and graphics were enchanting. As for the story, I feel like I have the broad strokes, but I'm missing something. There's distinctive themes of childishness and play, but there are a lot of narrative dark spots. Still, the story runs its course. Spoiler discussion of the story below. I got about 5.5 hours out of the story episodes on normal and there seems to be a lot of extra episodes and challenges to take part in, not to mention unlockable costumes.

[spoiler2]Okay, story talk!

David and Mondo being brothers is a pretty major plot hole to me--or rather Mondo forgetting it. So, the woman from the dreams manipulated his memories at some point? Mika also mentioned being brainwashed by David, but how? Was that brainwashing the woman?

I wonder if the whole game is just pretend to two brothers paying make believe? Just two kids ordering executions on Thomas the Tank Engine and Alice in Wonderland who transform into ultimate scifi warriors and do battle on a crater hurtling towards the Earth and the far reaches of space at once. Who go off and hit on women and fight samurai tiger men. Mika is the sister who just wants to help and doesn't understand the game and is given the sun as a cop out. I don't know, but there is a lot of childish elements in play, which feels appropriate for the rather 2D characters.[/spoiler2]
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<a href="http://eromangagirls.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... >Minecraft H-doujin</a>. Obviously NSFW.

Just thought I'd leave it here. ;/

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

There's a "<a href="http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/09/ ... more/">Big in Japan</a>" sale on the PSN going on right now and I got Mega Man 10 for 3,50€ (without the DLC stuff, since the complete version is still 10€).
They also have some JRPGs, like Tales of Graces f.

If you're into tough 2D platformers, definitely pick up Mega Man 9.

Is Virtua Fighter 5 a good fighting game ?
I feel like having one fighting game would be good, but I don't know shit about any of them (I just really don't like the 2D ones), except for Tekken is kinda my flow and Soul Calibur is fun.

EDIT:

And I got Yakuza 4 and Ninja gaiden sigma in the mail last week.
Also ordered some <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... psc=1">ORB controller triggers</a>, which make racing games MUCH more appealing suddenly. Playing GT5 now is quite a bit easier, since the original trigger shape is kinda stupid and gives you cramps if you play for 2~3 hours (you can accelerate with R2/brake with L2).
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

^ PS: that sale's only for Europe.

Tekken Tag 2 is amazing if you're looking for a fighting game. There's also a free version of DOA 5 (Core) on PSN.

My Vita came in! Finally, a good excuse to play Knytt Underground. Imagine Metroid without most of the combat. It's a neat puzzler that doesn't just outright teach you much of anything.

Also Lumines Electronic Symphony! Same ol' same ol' meets one of the best puzzle games ever is a recipe for goodness.

I've still got 8+ games for the Vita I've yet to try. Looking forward to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, but I never played 999 so... Who knows?
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="neshcom"]
^ PS: that sale's only for Europe.

Tekken Tag 2 is amazing if you're looking for a fighting game. There's also a free version of DOA 5 (Core) on PSN.
[/quote]

Oh, didn't know about that. Weird there is such a huge difference between PSN stores (I know there are minor ones, like Resident Evil not being available in Germany).

Yeah, I like Tekken, so I might buy that one actually. VF5 looks pretty bad visually and since I'm not going to learn everything about a fighting game, I'd rather have one that looks nice.

I think I'll hold out on the DoA 5 f2p version and see how that plays. I only care about Ayane anyway. =3=
Maybe we can fight eachother some time ?
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

PM me or something and we'll rumble! I knock em down (knock em down). Run it, homey. VF5 was a launch title, I think and I remember not liking it when I played at a friend's house.

Yeah, the European PSN is a totally different beast. They get the best PS+ games, but the library is smaller, usually games come out later, and the price conversion is usually not in your favor.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Virtua Fighter is the most technical and "realistic" fighting game out there. Everything is pretty much based on real martial arts in it and there are no fireballs or any of those kind of moves in it. Each character tends to have over a hundred unique moves. It's an acquired taste, but one of the best fighting series of all time, especially as far as 3D is concerned.
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

Since a new Sonic game was announced earlier this year I've been playing sonic games during most of my free time :) Mostly the classics like Sonic CD and Sonic 2 :)
Last edited by ShiroiChanUK on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Fourty hours in and I'm still enjoying Ni no kuni immensly.
Whenever they introduce(d) a new mechanic/thing you can do, I'm like Aw yeah ! and just happy they implemented it. I could make a list with some 15~20 things I was happy to see.
It truly is like a best of of old JRPG tropes.

Except for the plot, I think, because I've already had a suspicion of what is going on after the first few hours. And if that really turns out to be the case, it's very unlike many RPGs.
Sabaku Ika
モーニング娘。

Post by Sabaku Ika »

[quote="Ap2000"]

Is Virtua Fighter 5 a good fighting game ?
I feel like having one fighting game would be good, but I don't know shit about any of them (I just really don't like the 2D ones), except for Tekken is kinda my flow and Soul Calibur is fun.

[/quote]
I assume you mean the upgraded version that's on PSN. If so, yes it is.
I'm not sure if people are still playing it online, but they should be because it's good.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://tsoape.wordpress.com">The Slowest of All Possible Elevators</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://psnprofiles.com/staplefrog">[img ... lefrog.png[/img]</a>

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Sony just announced the Playstation Vita TV:
<a href="http://www.gamestar.de/videos/trailer,3 ... 22.html</a>

This is the first handheld-device that is actually interesting for me.
According to <a href="http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/konsole ... html">this German article</a> it's only 75€ and can play Vita, PSP and PS1 games. There's also a bundle with a dual shock 3 controller and a 8GB memory card for 114€.
It can also be used for the streaming PS4 games just like the Vita does.

Honestly, this sounds like an awesome deal. I might buy it just for Persona 4 golden and maybe a few other JRPGs.
But then again, my fucking huge backlog of PS3 and Steam games...

EDIT:

The actual Vita also gets a redesign and the PS4 won't be out in Japan until 2014.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

^ Feb 22, 2014 to be more specific on the PS4 Launch in Japan. The reasoning at the presser was to give developers time to translate their games into Japanese so PS4 can launch with some games. In comparison, the X1 has a tenative release date in Asia of late 2014.

The PSVita TV thing looks awesome. It's got Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu, plus a lot of PSN/PSV/class PS games for about the price of an Ouya, Roku, or Apple TV. The PS4 streaming could be a big sell. Almost all PS4 games have to be remote playable and PSVTV is compatible with DS4s, so a PS4 really could be a console for the entire house. One note out of the PSVTV announcement is that some Vita games will not be playable because they solely rely on the touchscreen, but it's easy enough to assume games could be patched.

The Vita redesign is nice. I like the heft of my OG Vita, but have a rounded front plate would be really nice. Not entirely sold on the LCD screen. The OG's OLED is amazing and it doesn't have any of the ghosting the PSP-2000 I have had. 

I spent all weekend playing Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and it's killing me. It's supposed to be related to 9-9-9, but I don't feel left out of anything just yet. It really is meta-gaming me and I'm in love. Great example: after getting to a lock/stop point in one of the longer branches on the story flowchart, I jumped back to my last voting choice. The first time, I hit "ally" and the other person chose "betray." When I was back at the option, I picked "betray," and she picked "ally." The game then stopped and spent 5 minutes explaining quantum theory to me (both options are after a puzzle where you learn about the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment). In another to-be-deciphered meta-game move, after exhausting all the branches and either hitting stops and bad-ends, I jumped to a different major branch. I took a path that, on the flowchart, was supposed to be one of the shortest paths, yet when I reached the final point, the branch opened up with a bunch of more points and another branch option. I know it wasn't a stop point I had previously unlocked because I didn't get a trophy like opening up a stop point usually does and it didn't have a green icon. Why would the game hide the longest branch so far under what looked like just another bad-end? Honestly, the game is fantastic and the puzzles and story are top-notch, even if you aren't aware of high-profile thought experiments/scientific references.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<a href="http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/">Fuck productivity, let's click cookies!</a> :danceman:

Was clicking 4.6 Mcps just before I went to work this morning. Can't wait to spend all the dough when I get back.
Last edited by aine on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Wapiko
ANGERME

Post by Wapiko »

Kingdom Hearts ReMIXfor me!!
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

[quote="aine"]
<a href="http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/">Fuck productivity, let's click cookies!</a> :danceman:

Was clicking 4.6 Mcps just before I went to work this morning. Can't wait to spend all the dough when I get back.
[/quote]

Oh christ, this isn't blocked at work. I have way too much to do to spend as much time as I will on this oh lordy.