Morning Musume's non-appearance on 64th Kouhaku

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

aine
ANGERME

Morning Musume's non-appearance on 64th Kouhaku

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="167463" data-time="1385362043">And the full Kohaku list.</blockquote>
Meh.

Not that I hoped for anything, but it would have been nice to be surprised.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
strawberryjam
ANGERME

Re: Morning Musume's non-appearance on 64th Kouhaku

Post by strawberryjam »

[quote="NekoKai"]
The Backstreet Boys have a new video out for one of the songs off their new album.  Show 'Em (What You're Made Of).  There's some eye candy. :perv:  (That's the closest to a suggestive wink that I could find.)
[/quote]

Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one into BSB! Are you going to their European tour too?

[quote="Anderei"]
And the full Kohaku list.

E-girls, NMB48 and miwa are new to the Red team. There's quite a few new names on the White team, but I only recognize SEXY ZONE and Linked Horizon,
[/quote]
Uhg.

I honestly feel teary eyed. Perhaps I was dumb for being hopeful that MM would make it this year. But this year was such a good year for them.. :cryalot: I know H!P has their own countdown this year, but uhg still ..sdfksflj!!! They didn't get invited to any show.. if I recall correctly. :/
Last edited by strawberryjam on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit reverie
here is a website in which I pretend I am an important person with important things to say.
NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

Yep!  The Munich one in March, what about you?

I didn't really expect Kohaku this year, but I did/do for next year assuming they keep their popularity up.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Anderei"]
And the full Kohaku list.

E-girls, NMB48 and miwa are new to the Red team. There's quite a few new names on the White team, but I only recognize SEXY ZONE and Linked Horizon,
[/quote]

MM not getting on seems like bullshit.
But instead 3x 48 ? Uh...
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

I'm a little disappointed that MM didn't make it in, but maybe it'll work out for the best.

Next time when they get it, they'll be able to blow everyone else out of the water!

I just really don't believe a ***48 group is better than MM at all. Singing, dancing, they're a little behind. I'm sure popularity has something to do with it, but I personally feel that raw passion is the most important factor. MM may not be in their "best" era vocally, but they are diverse and yet tight-knit, and seem to work together greatly as a team. They have the passion and spirit for being idols, and that, I think matters more than just their singing or even their dancing.

I just don't see that sort of passion in most of the ***48 members nowadays. In the older members that have been there since either the beginning, or shortly after, I do see that passion. But with the newer ones, it just seems more like they're just there to be there, and that they're just doing something that they rehearsed, and don't put any sort of passion into it. I know, with idols, you never know what is truly their passion, but I say you can feel it and see it in their eyes.

I'm just more disappointed because I thought Kohaku was more about talent than popularity, per say, but I will admit I've only been "in the know" about Kohaku for a little less than a year.
Last edited by arcobaleno on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Kohaku is all about big names, hype, and ratings. It has nothing to do with talent.
strawberryjam
ANGERME

Post by strawberryjam »

[quote="NekoKai"]
Yep!  The Munich one in March, what about you?

I didn't really expect Kohaku this year, but I did/do for next year assuming they keep their popularity up.
[/quote]

Yes, Dublin. :weeeh: Yay!

[quote="Anderei"]
Kohaku is all about big names, hype, and ratings. It has nothing to do with talent.
[/quote]

But I don't get why a group like AAA makes it. I checked the sales for their singles this year and it was 52k tops..
That was like MM during the bad times.. so what gives?

rabbit reverie
here is a website in which I pretend I am an important person with important things to say.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I don't know much about AAA but I assume they still have a large presence elsewhere or bring in ratings. Maybe diversity? There's probably only so many idols they want to bring, and E-girls and NMB48 made more sense than MM did this year.
Last edited by Anderei on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

They must be doing something right if the media talk about Morning Musume NOT getting on Kouhaku:

EDIT: And Sayu's blog post about it.
Last edited by aine on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

To be honest, I don't really get the press. The singles did well, but there's a lot of other factors of popularity that MM didn't really hit this year. Everyone else going had good album/DVD sales, are selling out concert venues like crazy, and have a big magazine/tv appearance presence. They just were not the logical choice, popularity-wise. Maybe if the Best Of album had did better or if their singles could have a better chart life, but it's been almost 8 weeks and the best of hasn't even hit 25k and their singles fall off the charts almost as soon as the handshakes and release events stop. They've still got a long way to go before they're on par with the other idols who got invited this year.

Edit: Apparently the articles aren't just about MM. It's about all the other artists who didn't make it either that people thought maybe had a chance.
Last edited by Anderei on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cadmonkey
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by cadmonkey »

At first I was kind of pissed off when I found out they didn't make it, but now I see it as something that will continue to motivate the girls to strive for Kouhaku.  Not that they'd start slacking off if they were invited this year.

Plus, as a Dodger fan I already have a built in coping mechanism for a year-end event that doesn't go as I had hoped; wait 'til next year!
AurA
こぶしファクトリー

Post by AurA »

Is kouhaku some kind of awards show or just a big concert with a bunch of groups?
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="AurA" data-cid="167515" data-time="1385470429">Is kouhaku some kind of awards show or just a big concert with a bunch of groups?</blockquote>
Kind of both, but neither really.
Last edited by aine on Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
ShiroiChanUK
こぶしファクトリー

Post by ShiroiChanUK »

When the predictions were released I was one of many who got their hopes up about MoMusu but after a while I decided that it was better not to do that and I'm glad I did because if I was still all hyped up now I would've been crushed by the news. 

I'm really glad that the girls are still so optimistic :) Good luck for next year <3

showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I've never really watched Kohaku, so is the show itself important for MM to be on? Or is it more about the "they're popular enough for Kohaku again!"?
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Kouhaku is important for any artist to appear on. I'm surprised you guys don't know that. :lol: These days maybe somewhat less than even a decade ago, but it still is great honour and a way to affirm and immortalize your name. I don't know what to compare it to in the West in terms of impact and importance to the artist - the best I can think of, though still not quite right, is the Superbowl halftime show.

Morning Musume appeared on Kouhaku consecutively for 10 years, from 1998 (49th edition) until 2007 (58th), which I think was some kind of a record back then. Considering their new quality and a very strong come back this year, it was not unreasonable to hope for an invitation again.

I wasn't able to find all of their Kouhaku appearances on a short notice, but here's the few I did:

1998 / 49th
2003 / 54th
2005 / 56th
2006 / 57th

EDIT: Fixed the broken links. 4 hours and no one noticed. :hmph:
Last edited by aine on Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
mrsross
モーニング娘。

Post by mrsross »

It would've been nice if they got invited, but I'm not really bummed or shocked that they weren't. I don't really care for Kohaku anymore anyways. Meh to this.
Last edited by mrsross on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

Considering Onna ni sachi are is the last single from MM that I TRULY like (as for  recent songs, I just listen to them for as long as I get to like them-they don't become my immediate favorite). I am happy that they are gaining more popularity, and I love them dearly, but not for their music any more.   I am not TERRIBLY sad about MM not being able to make it to Kohaku this year. This just mean they have to try harder, Tsunku has to compose better songs and we will probably  have a fruitful and enjoyable next year to look forward to.
Last edited by smtmissin on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kalle
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by Kalle »

I'm not gonna lie, I didn't realize that this was split off from another thread at first and all I saw at first glance was discussion about the Backstreet Boys, and my first thought was 'BSB IS GONNA BE AT KOUHAKU??'
lmao.

The lack of MM does suck a little bit but I'll get over it. The list as it is now isn't very interesting to me aside from, like, Kyary and Perfume but those are the only two.
<p style="text-align:center;">Image
AquaChan
ANGERME

Post by AquaChan »

I'm sad for Momusu, but I'm soooo happy for sakanaction!
Team Yellow love 
<p style="text-align:center;">♥ Rikako ♥ Yumeno ♥ Yokoyan ♥ Kamiko ♥ Kamei ♥ 
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

2004 was always my favourite medley. Lots of Yossi screentime and lines oops I'm biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuoRfgMkeI

Also the dance break holy shit. ::nosebleed::
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

MM is just starting to come back in the media light, they still have a bit to go before a Kouhaku invite.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Pucchi-Mo
ANGERME

Post by Pucchi-Mo »

[quote="AquaChan"]
I'm sad for Momusu, but I'm soooo happy for sakanaction!
[/quote]

FACT: me too. 
Delivering bad puns and deciphering 
Tsunku's madness for ten whole years!

You're welcome.  :thumbsup:
rob
ANGERME

Post by rob »

[quote="Anderei"]
Kohaku is all about bignames, hype, and ratings MONEY. It has nothing to do with talent.
[/quote]

ftfy.
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

[quote="Valerie"]
2004 was always my favourite medley. Lots of Yossi screentime and lines oops I'm biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuoRfgMkeI

Also the dance break holy shit. : :nosebleed::
[/quote]
Best MM live like, ever.