What are you playing?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: What are you playing?

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Xenoblade Chronicles X. I'm finding it to have a lot of rougher points than the first game, and can pull some dumb things on the player, but it just has so much to it I can see putting more time into it.

The first Xenoblade had basically the story structure of a classic JRPG, though with many many optional side quests. Start in one town, go through a series of dungeons and towns and bosses, repeat repeat. Xenoblade X is more like an MMO. The main character is designed by the player and given your choice of voice, but it's only used for battle--outside they just kind of nod and let you choose replies, while the other characters do all the talking. There's pretty much one big hub area and an enormous world split into 5 continents which you can explore and perform missions on--some being "Chapters" that constitute the main story, but most being optional.

Exploring can be kind of a hassle--since it's a very nonlinear world, there are a lot of "virtual borders" created by the presence of enough active enemies much higher level than you currently are. Or sometimes you'll try to reach some point on the map and then realize that the destination is REALLY on some place that you either can't reach at all yet because it's on a land bridge a half mile in the air and you don't have the proper vertical capabilities yet, or maybe it's only possible by some nonobvious path that the game won't point out to you unless it's part of certain types of quests.

Gathering missions are the worst kind of missions, but they're generally optional. You just pick up these blue gems that are all over the place in the game world, and they'll be some semi-random item depending on where in the world you are. So usually it's fine to just know that by running around the continent of Primordia enough, eventually you'll get enough to take care of the optional Primordia gathering quests. But occasionally they'll stick some gathering element into important quests, and all you'll know is that there are items which are supposed to be found someplace throughout a continent. For several hours I was at a point where the only thing preventing me from finally getting to use the game's giant robots was that I wasn't finding several "beagflea squashes" on the continent of Oblivia. Eventually I gave up and found a YouTube video that showed a place I could access that had a good chance of having them.

But all the complaining I give above... it's still got a fun battle system, I still love checking out a giant world, and at 40+ hours it feels like I've gotten nowhere near half of the possible exploration and missions done. And while I kind of miss the first game's amazing setting of a world that exists on the bodies of continent-sized robots, this game manages to keep a sense of huge scale and give a world that feels truly alien.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I've enjoyed the game a lot. It's definitely not perfect and I dislike the gathering missions (mainly the ones telling you to find the enemy parts and not showing the enemy locations). I just finished chapter 6 and finished the skell license. The only problem is, I'm afraid I lost the thing already. I need to check tomorrow. I do wish the game had more in-game tutorials like the first one did, but I've figured a bit out. However I still don't know how to use 'skills' (that section above or below classes) or how to attach augments to empty slots.

The continents are interesting. I wasn't too fond of Oblivia at first but I like it a lot. (The electric storms aren't fun though). Primorida is okay. I've seen and added most data probes though. Noctilum at night is beautiful. Sylvalum is unique but it's pretty at night as well. I explored a little caulderos but I'm still too under leveled to really do much.

I do like the setting of the original more, but I like the open world aspect of this game a lot better.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Skills seem pretty simple. Set it and forget it things that affect stats. Maybe you were thinking you had to do something else to activate them?

I don't think I've done augments, either. Ones gained from quests are quite a random selection, and nothing seemed so necessary to use up the more rare items the fancier ones take to create.

You might have lost that first skell. I think the "insurance" thing means the number of times you can lose it (destroyed in battle, dropped into the rare bottomless pit) before it's gone for good? I put it away once I got it down to just 1 in that stat, so I haven't seen what happens when insurance runs out. Like, do you lose all equipped items too, or is it just a money sink when you have to rebuy the frame (except that level 20 one can't be bought). Having the one skell really opened up exploration since it can move so fast and jump so high, but once I got 2 or more of them in the party it really upped battle capabilities. 3 level ~30 people in skells can take on a mid-40s enemy and have a good shot. I suppose that's necessary, since player levels max out at 60 while it seems enemies go up to the 90s.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I found the skell luckily and it was undamaged. I'm not entirely sure what happened but I don't seem to be losing it now. I didn't realize the leveling up ended at level 60. I figured it'd go to 99 like the original Xenoblade.
Formerly Mizura
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

I started playing Elder Scrolls Online again and after ten hours was reminded why I quit the first time. It's just so aggravatingly difficult to play it solo.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="195192" data-time="1455650090">Free games on Steam!
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/94153/</blockquote>Thanks! More games I'll probably never play, lol.

Except Golden Axe. THE Golden Axe. The reason (together with some winter olympics game the name of which I luckily forgot) our CS teacher personally yanked out the PC speakers out of all the machines in elementary school.

Most people preferred Prehistoric 2 though, it had better graphics and the physics model (lol) was much better.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

Happy 20th anniversary Pokemon!! On thursday, Nintendo filed for trademarks for Pokemon Sun & Moon, amd then confirmed them yesterday.
Last edited by star on Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Better late than never: the 3DS Rhythm Heaven was finally announced for release in NA and Europe, though there's not yet a more specific date than 2016.

Game-related, I've just learned of this YouTube channel which is worth a browse. All the videos are labeled as if they're regular game songs, but they all have some sort of twist.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

CHRONO.gg

There is a new deal-of-the-day kind of website that just started yesterday. They had Broforce for $5 yesterday and they have The Banner Saga for $4.50 today (for the next 13 hours). Deals change every day at 9 AM PST.

I'm usually wary of new sites like this but they have been very communicative and open to feedback on reddit as well as personally to me when I had an issue using the site so they're legit in my book.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Star" data-cid="195370" data-time="1456586505">Happy 20th anniversary Pokemon!! On thursday, Nintendo filed for trademarks for Pokemon Sun & Moon, amd then confirmed them yesterday.</blockquote>
Happy 30th anniversary to Zelda too! :party:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JoshuaJSlone" data-cid="195479" data-time="1457122350">Better late than never: the 3DS Rhythm Heaven was finally announced for release in NA and Europe, though there's not yet a more specific date than 2016.</blockquote>
Better late than never indeed. I played the Japanese version for a few hours and it was just as fun as always. And if you played the previous game in English then you don't really need a translation to play it, just a lot of patience to skip through the text. :lol:

Also the cover art for Ace Attorney 6 has been revealed yesterday. It's already confirmed for Western release, though remembering how Capcom has either butchered or simply ignored the last few games in the series is holding my enthusiasm back.

But, but, Maya! :weeeh:
ace-attorney-6-boxart-jp-656x5831.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aine on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="195578" data-time="1457495814">Better late than never indeed. I played the Japanese version for a few hours and it was just as fun as always. And if you played the previous game in English then you don't really need a translation to play it, just a lot of patience to skip through the text. :lol:</blockquote>This is probably true, aside from the dumb region-locking making getting international games a bother in general.
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">Also the cover art for Ace Attorney 6 has been revealed yesterday. It's already confirmed for Western release, though remembering how Capcom has either butchered or simply ignored the last few games in the series is holding my enthusiasm back.

But, but, Maya! :weeeh:[/url]</blockquote>Still haven't played 5, but this is a series I'm interested in. Especially interested in seeing Maya; one of the things that bothered me about 4 was the whole "Seven years later... all sorts of bad shit has happened to Phoenix, and all of his old friends seem to have fallen off the face of the planet."

I didn't know it had already been confirmed for Western release, that's good. I assume still no localization for that 1800s Ace Attorney game, but that one always seemed a stretch.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

If it were released on one of their systems people would call it a non-game, but Nintendo proper's first smartphone app Miitomo is now available most places in the world. If you don't know it, it seems like it's something between Facebook, Tomodachi Life, and the old Everybody Votes Channel.

Google Play, iTunes App Store
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

Miitomo is pretty fun to mess around with, though its methods of adding friends are kind of limited. The good news is you can easily find people who you follow (and who also follow you) on Twitter, as well as Facebook friends. The bad news is the only other option is a face-to-face one where you somehow tap the same things at the same time so it knows you're together?

Also you can make silly images by combining backgrounds, text, built-in clipart, and Miis doing various things.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I've tried it, it's fun. Nothing big, since most of the things you do is answering questions but it can be somewhat entertaining.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I took a week off (mainly) just to play Dark Souls 3. I have mostly succesfully steered clear of spoilers, trailers and even boards that talk about video games for several weeks now.
I can barely keep my dick in my pants at this point.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Yeah I've been avoiding everything about DS3, and I'm off this Thursday through Sunday, so hopefully I can get through it.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

My Apocalypse Edition has arrived. :crying:
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I started up a new game of Skyrim on a whim to see how much I could progress without using any weapons, sticking to towns and doing things like thievery and crafting. Quite far, at least from a level standpoint. I got unexpectedly sucked back in and have a few dozen hours in, and am around level 30. I do have a few unarmed kills, though.

A few things got me on this, but one was noticing upcoming game Klepto, which describes itself as an open-world thieving game. I was curious about what would happen if I took a more general open world game and chose to ignore unrelated major chunks of it like combat and dungeons.
Last edited by JoshuaJSlone on Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nimrahwt
Kenshuusei

Post by nimrahwt »

The last game I played on Steam was the DooM open beta, which sucked, I want the old school DooM back
And I recently downloaded the Batman Arkham Knight Season of Infamy DLC
<p class="bbc_center">♡ Sayashi is love,Sayashi is life ♪
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/nimrahwt" title="External link">Steam</a> -<a class="bbc_url" href="https://twitter.com/#!/nimrahwt" title="External link">twitter</a> <a class="bbc_url" href="http://ameblo.jp/tanakareina-blog/entry ... 92594.html" title="External link">-</a> <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.last.fm/user/nimrod85" title="External link">last.fm</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="http://nimrahwt.tumblr.com/" title="External link">tumblr</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="https://vine.co/u/1174513908925493248?mode=grid" title="External link">vine</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="http://ameblo.jp/tanakareina-blog/entry ... 92594.html" title="External link">やばい</a>
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I've never been very big into either Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei, so I paid very little attention to the crossover game that's been in the works for years. But now that its Western release is approaching (as Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE in about 2 months) and I'm seeing more about it, at least the story concept sounds kind of up my alley: a Tokyo-based talent agency is secretly dedicated to preventing invasions from another world. Your party consists of people like idols, a cooking show host, and a wannabe tokusatsu actor.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

There's a free weekend for Rocket Leagueon Steam right now.
I just spent four hours playing it non-stop, it's insanely fun and intense.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Hahaha, oh wow.

I didn't see this one coming. But it seems like we've all been had.
Last edited by aine on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
nimrahwt
Kenshuusei

Post by nimrahwt »

If you need more jrpgs or fighting games, there's an anime weekend sale on steam now

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/anime_sale/
<p class="bbc_center">♡ Sayashi is love,Sayashi is life ♪
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/nimrahwt" title="External link">Steam</a> -<a class="bbc_url" href="https://twitter.com/#!/nimrahwt" title="External link">twitter</a> <a class="bbc_url" href="http://ameblo.jp/tanakareina-blog/entry ... 92594.html" title="External link">-</a> <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.last.fm/user/nimrod85" title="External link">last.fm</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="http://nimrahwt.tumblr.com/" title="External link">tumblr</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="https://vine.co/u/1174513908925493248?mode=grid" title="External link">vine</a> - <a class="bbc_url" href="http://ameblo.jp/tanakareina-blog/entry ... 92594.html" title="External link">やばい</a>
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="nimrahwt"]
If you need more jrpgs or fighting games, there's an anime weekend sale on steam now

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/anime_sale/
[/quote]

A good 97% shit, unfortunately.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="197105" data-time="1461875807">A good 97% shit, unfortunately.</blockquote>Just like 97% of everything, including your and my Steam library. =3=

I have almost everything I wanted from that sale already, and what I don't have is still stupid expensive, including Clannad.

But I can never recommend Planetarian enough. It's only 50% off but it's well worth it for a fiver.
Last edited by aine on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="197108" data-time="1461882237">
Just like 97% of everything, including your and my Steam library. =3=
</blockquote>

I only buy guys uh, games I'm fairly certain that I'm going to like.

There are only ~5 games in my Steam library that make me hate myself for buying them. The worst PC port I've ever played, which is Saint's Row 2, and Recettear always come to my mind immediately. Another one, to some degree, would be Oceanhorn. It started out very charming, but got so buggy and lackluster after 3/4 of the game.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Well I simply assumed that the 97% of my library that I haven't played yet is shit. :rimshot:

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="197057" data-time="1461786482">Hahaha, oh wow.

I didn't see this one coming. But it seems like we've all been had.</blockquote> 
Haha. I heard the news that Baby Metal was getting a Super Mario Maker stage/sprite, but I didn't realize they'd cram all three of them into a shared character.
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="nimrahwt" data-cid="197101" data-time="1461871550">If you need more jrpgs or fighting games, there's an anime weekend sale on steam now

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/anime_sale/</blockquote>
I picked up some visual novels. Most things sit in my wish list until they're like 75% off, but these rarely seem to get such drops--maybe at this point just because they haven't been around as long as much of the Steam library. Including Clannad. It's a very rare thing for me to pay over $20 for a Steam game, but considering I pirated Kanon and enjoyed it a lot I could do worse than pay a little more here.
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="197109" data-time="1461883845">and Recettear always come to my mind immediately</blockquote>I only played a little of that, but the lack of unique text for different items sticks in my mind. People would try and sell me candy, talking about how it was some heirloom from deceased relatives.
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I may be a liiiiiittle late to the party, but I've just gotten into Minecraft. I first tried it when it was pretty new, but this was a couple PCs ago and it was running like garbage for me, so I stopped. A few years later I borrowed access to a friend's account for a while, but without using external sources Survival mode kind of throws you in the deep end so that wasn't a lot of fun. Creative I made some weird stuff with, but with no limits and no challenge it started to feel like a tedious art program.

However, recently same friend got the Wii U version which has local multiplayer. This allowed me to ease into things by goofing off and building sky bridges while able to monitor him doing the useful things like farming. We played quite a few hours that day, and I bought the PC version once home. I'm still building crazy things for no good reason and still find the crafting system sometimes needlessly obtuse, but I guess I found the right balance for keeping me interested.

It doesn't hurt that while an official VR version for PC has yet to be released, there's already an unofficial version that works very well and has a ton of options to set depending on what bothers a person in VR. It's one of the first things that's made me spend multiple consecutive hours in the Rift, plus it's pretty amusing when I end up walking around with an arrow stuck to the front of my face. The biggest drawback to playing in VR is it makes checking external sources for things like crafting info much more of a hassle.