Hello!Spam :: 2017 ~Dancing Mode~

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

JPope
ANGERME

Re: Hello!Spam :: 2017 ~Dancing Mode~

Post by JPope »

I think it's more that the number of girls entering the idol business overall has exploded and the expectations of many of the girls who pursue it have changed. It has become a hobby for a lot of girls who audition for groups or KSS-like programs, and not necessarily the serious long-term commitment that it was back in the day. Also, this explosion of idols in recent years has necessarily decreased the value of being an idol.
Being an idol used to be special because it was an exclusive group, and while being an H!P idol still holds more value than most other companies, the audience for idol groups has become fractured and Balkanized, and the sheer number of groups necessarily means being an idol is less special now. It's the old adage: if everyone's a rock star, then no one's a rock star. With that in mind, it's not surprising that even H!P is seeing more girls wash-out as they experience the rigors of professional idol life after they debut, and decide it's more than they want to deal with. 
Last edited by JPope on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="208732" data-time="1499498763">
Do all these cases put together strike anyone else as a failure built into the KSS system itself?

I know no idol group ever formed organically (you're welcome to throw maximum of 3 examples to the contrary my way, but you get the point, it's not normal), but in the whole history of Hellopro the auditions and getting picked for the group were always a huge deal. Like real huge. You could almost walk in from the street as a nobody and walk out the nation's next idol super star.

The KSS-based members and groups have changed this dynamic entirely. With KSS being for all practical purposes an idol school with tuition and all I feel it creates a service buyer/service provider situation and with it the attitude of expectation and demand of result on the member's (or perhaps even more on the parents') part. Now I'm sure the KSS contract states it very clearly that no debut or future success is guaranteed, but is it not natural to at least sub-consciously expect something in return for the financial investment and time spent rehearsing and whatnot?

What I'm trying to say, back when you were picked as the new Morning Musume after the nationally televised gruelling audition it was really fucking special. Part winning a lottery, part surviving Tsunku's personal little Battle Royale. You would cherish and defend your spot, and put sweat, blood and tears to make it work and to fit in and contribute to the group against all odds.

Now with Kenshuusei - yes, there are auditions, but they surely aren't as strict and demanding as the major group auditions, and you still pay to be in the program. If you debut in a group and you're not really feeling it then there's much less pressure to stick with it. You come to terms with the fact that you were sold a dud, you cut your financial losses, pack up your stuff and leave, with or without a bang. It doesn't really matter that much since whatever you learned in the program you can take with you and use it to debut under a different label.

Am I completely crazy for thinking this is what's happening?</blockquote>

H!P has actually got a pretty good track record as far as girls sticking around once they debut. Also, the program is no longer paid iirc.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

(Note: monthly bitter shitpost.)

I'm expecting a graduation announcement on the first day of H!P's summer concert (next week). 
We're currently in a rather awkward phase of H!P with many changes and H!P seems like it wants to cut ties with its past (at least with the non-profitable one). Also, some members definitely are over their prime. 

MM:
Quite a few people have commented on MM becoming too big. Granted, what Tsunku said (that the group will never be as big as at their biggest again) has no meaning anymore since he's not the one to decide it, and maybe their management thinks the more the merrier (or rather: more handshakes = better sales), but I'm sure that we're gonna see at least one graduation next year, maybe even another one this year (shotgun grad at the fall concert or during the Hello-Goodbye one). Honestly, when I say that some members are over their prime I'm only talking about MM. 
5 members are going to graduate high school next year. Granted, Kaede and Morito probably won't leave so soon after just joining, Miki is just about to get closer to the front and Duu has already announced her graduation, but the last one, Masaki, doesn't seem that unlikely to graduate. If her back acts up even after treatment then idol business with MM isn't for her (anymore). Which is sad, because I hate it if girls have to graduate due to medical reasons. (To be honest it's never been confirmed that the reason why she was out during the last concert was her back but I can't imagine her looking horrible was due to her earpiece not working.) 
Of the others, Mizuki looks pretty done lately. The Morito-situation definitely has left a mark. She and Ayumi also can't really move anywhere else in the group - their position is more or less frozen. With Ikuta I'm always wondering whether she's at her end or just taking a break haha. Lately she's been looking better. Haruna, as much as I love her, can't reach much more either - you can get only so far in MM if you're not aggressive enough. Even with Sakura I wonder. On the one hand she probably hasn't mentioned anything to management yet or else they would've added a better singer to the group, but on the other hand she doesn't improve either. However she also doesn't have anything besides MM. They should better let her build up something while being in MM, she's not in school anymore either so she should be fine.
12ki and up seem unlikely to graduate. Some people have mentioned Oharu but well. I guess she could go, but she doesn't give me the impression. Miki, as mentioned, is doing fine, Maria is super popular and Akane has enough time to improve. 

ANGERME:
Now... I don't want anyone to graduate from ANGERME, but them adding 2 members worries me. On the one hand there's of course always the possibility that Maho is not coming back. While Dawa said that she doesn't want to graduate there's always a possibility. Then we've got 2ki. Takechan basically said she wants to replace Momoko in terms of TV work so I'm not that worried, but idols talk a lot. Rina, well, Rina is Rina. You'll never know. Kana is being propped as subleader so I'm not too worried about her either but yeah, you never know. 

Juice=Juice:
Yeah, adding two members to a long stable line-up looks weird. I fear for Yuka and Tomoko. Please stay with me. 

The Factories:
While I think these are rather safe, Kobushi just having lost Rio and Tsubaki just getting new members last year, it's absolutely possible that Kiki won't come back. Her last update was that she's "unable to perform" (at the moment). That'd be really sad considering Tsubaki's short history and her being probably the best that has happened to the group aside from Kishimon and the new members. 

Country Girls:
Honestly, while they said they were on hiatus I wouldn't be surprised if Ozeko or Yamaki just called it quits next year. 

/monthly rant over
Last edited by DonJuan on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haru
ANGERME

Post by Haru »

[quote="aine"]
Do all these cases put together strike anyone else as a failure built into the KSS system itself?

I know no idol group ever formed organically (you're welcome to throw maximum of 3 examples to the contrary my way, but you get the point, it's not normal), but in the whole history of Hellopro the auditions and getting picked for the group were always a huge deal. Like real huge. You could almost walk in from the street as a nobody and walk out the nation's next idol super star.

The KSS-based members and groups have changed this dynamic entirely. With KSS being for all practical purposes an idol school with tuition and all I feel it creates a service buyer/service provider situation and with it the attitude of expectation and demand of result on the member's (or perhaps even more on the parents') part. Now I'm sure the KSS contract states it very clearly that no debut or future success is guaranteed, but is it not natural to at least sub-consciously expect something in return for the financial investment and time spent rehearsing and whatnot?

What I'm trying to say, back when you were picked as the new Morning Musume after the nationally televised gruelling audition it was really fucking special. Part winning a lottery, part surviving Tsunku's personal little Battle Royale. You would cherish and defend your spot, and put sweat, blood and tears to make it work and to fit in and contribute to the group against all odds.

Now with Kenshuusei - yes, there are auditions, but they surely aren't as strict and demanding as the major group auditions, and you still pay to be in the program. If you debut in a group and you're not really feeling it then there's much less pressure to stick with it. You come to terms with the fact that you were sold a dud, you cut your financial losses, pack up your stuff and leave, with or without a bang. It doesn't really matter that much since whatever you learned in the program you can take with you and use it to debut under a different label.

Am I completely crazy for thinking this is what's happening?
[/quote]
One flaw with your theory: Uta wasn't KSS.
[11:13:35 PM] Liam: DO NOT LET JAPANESE IDOLS GET IN THE WAY OF THE *AMERICAN* DREAM
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Lurkette from H!O translated Murotan's interview with Top Yell. We don't get many translations of stuff these days, so I thought I'd post it.

Spoiler: [+]

Interview:
Spoiler: [+]
<b>“Resolution and pride as an idol” -- Murota Mizuki TopYell Interview</b>
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);"> 
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">Seeking the honesty of today’s shining idols!
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">Right now, ANGERME is entertaining us as a group that embodies an aura of uniqueness, even among Hello!Pro acts. One reason for that may be the overwhelming personalities of each of the members. Maybe we could feel that intensity, as this magazine has conducted several individual interviews with ANGERME. Wada Ayaka, Tamura Meimi, Katsuta Rina, Aikawa Maho, Kamikokuryou Moe, Kasahara Momona… And now for a direct conversation with the person I want to hear from, the thriving Murota Mizuki, who talked about her particular idol philosophy!
<p style="font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);"><b>She almost had her heart broken both in the Kenshuusei and in ANGERME</b>
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--You joined the Hello!Pro Kenshuusei in 2012, and in 2014 you began working as an ANGERME member. Out of all the idol work you’ve done so far, where was the turning point for you?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I had two turning points. When I joined the Kenshuusei, it honestly felt like I was in crisis. The rehearsals were harsh, the teachers and managers were scary (laughs), but because I didn’t want to give in at that point, I decided to keep going for at least one year for sure. During that time, though, I gradually came to feel more like it was fun rather than hard. Realizing how much I had grown during that time was the first turning point.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--That’s very positive thinking.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Yes, I’m an optimist at heart. The other turning point was when I joined ANGERME. I didn’t feel like I had much of a character when I would think of my own position in the group. But I was told that a character is something you establish, it’s not something you can just make up, so I figured I would go with who I am and not create a new character, because that’s just me. When I first joined, though, I was shy and still couldn’t put myself out there. But my seniors dispelled any sense of hierarchy in the group, in a good way, so as we talked to each other, step by step I started to adapt, and I became able to show who I am.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--You really didn’t think you had a character?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I didn’t. There isn’t anything I’m outstanding in. Like, my body isn’t particularly flexible, and I’m not an especially good singer. That’s why I decided to let myself develop over time. I think idols, and people in general, are best when everything is a part of a whole.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Your singing ability is strong, but did you not have confidence in it?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I didn’t. On the contrary, I lost any confidence I had when I joined ANGERME.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Wow, why was that?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: If you really get to know the members, ANGERME members are all really quite cute, I think (laughs). That’s why I rapidly lost confidence in myself.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--The more you got to know the other members, the more you were affected by their own strengths.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: That’s it.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--You said before that you didn’t have a character, so you put your energy into finding your own strengths, then.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Yes. When I was a trainee I thought I would try to mimic the people I admired, but after I debuted, I chose to look for things that would suit me specifically. I decided that I definitely wasn’t going to grow my bangs out. That’s because I want to keep a hairstyle that looks good on me. My head is hopelessly square in shape. I decided to do only hairstyles that wouldn’t draw attention to how square it is. I also want to do my makeup that way, too. Like, these days, putting some blush under your eyes is the trend, but it doesn’t look good on me so I gave up on it.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Do you try these things at home, once?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Yes. You won’t know if you don’t try it, right? So I do that, I search for things that suit me. I like trying out different things. When music starts playing, if I think the person singing is good, I’ll end up singing out loud. When I watch dramas, if I think the acting is great then I’ll try doing it myself.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Is there anyone you use as a reference?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: People like Selena Gomez or Miley Cyrus. Miley Cyrus, because I liked the show Hannah Montana. I thought it was so cool how she was living both as a singer and as a normal girl. I realized how great idols are because of that show.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--You seem to like foreign dramas.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I love them. I love fantasy, and I like zombies, too.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--(laughs) Is that your parents’ influence?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: No, I’m the only one like that in my family. It’s Disney Channel’s influence (laughs). I also like Cartoon Network. Oh, and I love Crayon Shinchan.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--What about Crayon Shinchan appeals to you?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Oh, you’re asking about thart? I’ve liked it for a long time, and I’ve grown to love Shinchan like he’s a part of my family. I have a lot of Shinchan videos on my phone, and I’ll watch them when I’m feeling gloomy or before work, and they make me much more cheerful. I’ll feel more energetic when I wake up in the mornings, too. I think Crayon Shinchan is what gives me the most encouragement.
<p style="font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);"><b>Growing feelings about being in a group that changes lineup</b>
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--I head that you had to confront feeling sick and getting an IV for the Nippon Budokan show in May, did Shinchan cheer you up then, too?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I didn’t watch anything then.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Oh, is that so? (laughs)
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: It wasn’t the time. I had felt awful the morning before Budokan, and we had a new song, “Ai sae areba nannimo iranai,” but my throat hurt and I couldn’t sing at all. I went to the doctor and got 2 IV drips, and then I went to sleep and felt much better when I woke up the next morning. But my voice cracked partway through the show. I was too excited and danced way too hard. I did my best to put on a smile and get through it. Thinking about it now, though, I’m glad I pushed myself to the limit.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--No one could tell how bad you were feeling by your performance, though.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: About two years ago, I decided that at every live I would try to get people to think that it was a good performance, that I was a good performer. Budokan is a place where tons of people come to see us, so it was completely unacceptable to me to be unable to give a perfect performance there. I get so upset if I think even one person changed their mind about how good I am, and that’s still something I have some regrets about.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--That means your sensitivity to wanting to put on a good show is getting higher. Going back a bit, but when you joined the group with Sasaki Rikako and Aikawa Maho, there were a lot of expectations, so did you feel any pressure from that?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I did feel some at first, but I directed my feelings toward the need to improve myself instead. That said, I think there may have been way more pressure on Sasakki (Sasaki Rikako) from becoming center as the youngest member.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Afterwards, Fukuda Kanon and Tamura Meimi graduated from ANGERME, and Kamikokuryou Moe and Kasahara Momona joined, which are some pretty extreme changes, right? How did your feelings change during all of this?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: At first, when I heard Kamichan (Kamikokuryou Moe) was joining, I honestly thought it was a bit soon. But, since I was a trainee I had experienced other people joining and graduating, so I was quick to accept it. I figured, if I were joining as a new member by myself, I’d be thrilled if I received a warm welcome. That’s why I would go out with Kamichan so that we’d become acquainted faster. I’m glad she became friendly with everyone. Kassaa (Kasahara Momona) joined after that, but I was already used to this situation by that point. When Fukuda-san graduated and then Tamura-san was set to go next, I was worried about the two of them leaving because they were the members who held up the singing level of ANGERME most. Since then, I’ve realized that we’re all indispensible after spending this whole time with the current members. I don’t want to lose any one of my four seniors.
<p style="font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);"><b>I’ve decided to do every show with a great performance so that people think I’m good.</b>
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Is that a graduation ban for your seniors? (laughs)
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Yes. I think that’s about how much I like the members as they are now. But at the end of the day, being an idol means that back and forth of additions and graduations, right? Naturally I end up thinking a lot about how I have to look towards the future.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Also, I think ANGERME has a unique atmosphere out of all the Hello!Project groups. The MCs are loose and free, for example, and is that because members turn into that after they join, or is it because those are the kinds of people gathered into the group?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I personally think it’s probably because they joined ANGERME. It’s because ANGERME is very independent, in a good way… Although sometimes we’re a little too free and people get mad at us (laughs). ANGERME is always noisy in the dressing rooms, and even in private we talk loudly. When the last Budokan was over, we all received a text from Wada-san saying, “Let’s keep working together in my beloved ANGERME,” and then Sasakki said, “I love it,” and I wrote back, “I will follow Wada-san,” things like that. I think so often about how glad I am that I joined ANGERME. I don’t think there are normally many groups that get along like we do. I want to thank all my seniors who created the group atmosphere to be this way, and I want to keep it going without ruining it.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Meaning that Wada’s presence is huge in the group.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Wada-san’s presence is enormous. I’m working hard to learn from her, her performance persona, but even beyond performance, the way she carries herself, the way she takes photos, every little detail. Watching her has made me think that I have to study myself more. As I talk about her more, I guess it’s also how she’s thinking about the group as seriously, as profoundly as she is, and from there I realize I have to work on myself even more. Our leader is, after all, very reliable.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Like you realized how much weight the leader carries.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Right. I would love to become that a senior like that someday.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--On the singing side of things, I think that soon, you’ll be carrying a major part of it, but what do you think?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I have received some of Tamura-san’s parts. She sings in a way that can touch people, with so much feeling, so I don’t think I’m that good as I am now. I pay super close attention to the rhythm, and I’ve gotten to where I can properly get inside the world of the songs.
<p style="font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);"><b>Murota Mizuki’s picture of an ideal idol</b>
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--You’ve put out your first photobook, at the same time. How would you say the finished product is?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Huh~~, it’s good stuff (laughs).
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--(laughs) Was there anything you had to work on for this?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I went to the spa. I build muscle easily in the front of my thighs, so I thought I would get that taken down.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Can you even get that slimmed down?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I did not (laughs). Also, there were definitely going to be swimsuits, so I decided I wanted to tighten my butt, so I did high knee exercises and focused muscle training.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Did anything interesting happen while shooting that you want to talk about?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: It was my first time shooting in Okinawa. The weather was sunny, and I have so many memories of like how good the ice cream was, but above all else it was freezing cold there. When I did the pink bikini shoot, I had to jump into 10 degree water. But it was fun. The food was good, too. There are also some expressions that even I hadn’t seen on myself, so I think it was awesome. I think I need to research my expressions, too.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--So then, what is your image of the ideal idol?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M:I think I want to be like Suzuki Airi-san, like an idol that’s more like an artist. In the future, I want to try doing more than singing or dancing, but for right now, all I end up thinking about is how to go about being a part of ANGERME.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Well, how do you want to be a part of ANGERME?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: I want to do as much as possible with what the current members can do. I don’t feel afraid of anything with Wada-san as leader. In any case, I want to go to different places for lives, and I want people to watch me, but maybe just a little bit more than that, I want lots of people to know how good ANGERME is.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Also, ANGERME lives are a lot of fun, but I’d like to hear from you directly on why they are so entertaining.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: The ANGERME members just get along with each other from the outset. We mess around with each other, and I feel like we show that to the audience, in a good way. The members are also distinct in each having our own characters and way of singing. I think that’s one thing you can enjoy about us. Another would be that there are things that you can only see on that given day at that given show. We ad-lib parts of every MC, and we had a small accident at Budokan the other day, didn’t we?
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--You fell down.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Yes (laughs). Stuff like that, and the love of the staff members is amazing, too. At the end of the Budokan show, silver streamers popped out, right? That was a surprise from the staff members, we didn’t know about it. We stood arm in arm and screamed, and that was a genuine reaction. There are lots of things where you have to be there to truly enjoy them, and I think that’s wonderful.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">--Finally, your favorite saying is, “Natural gifts are limited, but effort is unlimited.” Please tell us why you like that phrase.
<p style="font-size:12px;font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);">M: Natural talent has a definitive end, but if you put in effort there’s no limit to how much you can grow, right? I think that’s incredible. That’s why I want to keep putting in hard work with no regrets.
<p style="font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);"><b>I don’t feel afraid of anything if Wada-san is leader</b>
<p style="font-family:Helvetica;color:rgb(69,69,69);"><b>
</b>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Wow, she's way too modest. And I'm glad she acknowledged Fukuda's strength as a singer.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

That was an interesting read. The group definitely has a good dynamic. Not having a hierarchy between the different generations seems to have been a good thing for them.
Formerly Mizura
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

I'm linking this youtube channel I suscribed to the other week through a recommended video, in case you're curious or wanted to watch this.
It uploads super old videos of morning musume including some asayan clips
Last edited by Derby on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hey
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Angerme were on a variety show called Mayonaka Shownin and it was subbed.

It's especially a good watch if you're a Take-chan or Dawa fan. Because they do 90% of the talking lol.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

[quote="Anderei"]
Angerme were on a variety show called Mayonaka Shownin and it was subbed.

It's especially a good watch if you're a Take-chan or Dawa fan. Because they do 90% of the talking lol.
[/quote]

That's actually a really excellent history of the group and just how much shit 1st and 2nd gen S/mileage had to go through.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="208733" data-time="1499510220">I think it's more that the number of girls entering the idol business overall has exploded and the expectations of many of the girls who pursue it have changed. It has become a hobby for a lot of girls who audition for groups or KSS-like programs, and not necessarily the serious long-term commitment that it was back in the day. Also, this explosion of idols in recent years has necessarily decreased the value of being an idol.
Being an idol used to be special because it was an exclusive group, and while being an H!P idol still holds more value than most other companies, the audience for idol groups has become fractured and Balkanized, and the sheer number of groups necessarily means being an idol is less special now. It's the old adage: if everyone's a rock star, then no one's a rock star. With that in mind, it's not surprising that even H!P is seeing more girls wash-out as they experience the rigors of professional idol life after they debut, and decide it's more than they want to deal with.</blockquote>That makes a lot of sense. It does seem that idol is an "in" thing again now - just not in the way it used to be back when Morning Musume ruled supreme at the break of 90's and 00's, or even the period of AKB steamrolling everything within their reach. Rather, it's the obscure idols performing almost nightly in obscure clubs to audiences of 50 at best, with CD-R releases if any, and hardly any promotion beyond the word of mouth and maybe a twitter account. I think there is some obvious death-and-rebirth metaphor waiting to be pointed out here.

It makes me wonder though, with the number of ho-hum and nothing-burger auditions that Hellopro has increasingly fallen victim to over the years, is this underground idol scene sucking out all the future mainstream stars who simply don't have Tsunku-P or a similar genius to discover them and help them uncover their potential? Or is it a generational thing and girls other than Cuca simply don't care enough to persevere because between the instant gratification of social media and the optional part-time indie-idol gig they get all the fame they ever wanted?

One thing I regret is that we'll probably never learn about the underground idols of the Nineties/Noughties, if there even were any. I'd love to know how they compared to today, but I wouldn't know where to even start looking for any records from that time. Even materials about Visual Kei which was it back then are very skimpy.

Anyway, remember how we used to joke about the time when Musumes would have their own musumes - well, with even the baby Asuka Fukuda being 32 now this time is very much already here. But it seems that instead of a geometrical iteration of musumeness that we have naively speculated about we've got an entirely different kind of a deal instead. Maybe we need to wait another 20 years for the trends to swing back. :wut:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="208734" data-time="1499513056">Also, the program is no longer paid iirc.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Haru" data-cid="208749" data-time="1499631563">One flaw with your theory: Uta wasn't KSS.</blockquote>Good job ruining my perfect theory guys, thanks a lot! :dammit:
Last edited by aine on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Indie groups lose people all the time, I'd say most have a much harder time keeping a stable lineup than the bigger groups.

For many girls it IS a part time thing. Some girls have actual jobs they go to (before they disbanded and reformed, BiS had a member graduate because she needed to find work) and do the idol thing on the side and lots of girls just do it while they're in school. Idols as we think of them today have been around long enough that people can see being one almost never translates to being a super star. The most ambitious of girls probably never even consider it an option.
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

Some indie groups seriously have such a high turnover rate.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

As someone who spends most of their time following indie groups, the turnover rate rate is very high, even if the CDs are released nationally, most don't ever sell that well. From what I've observed the 48G and 46G rule at the till and for everyone else, you pretty much have to work hard and with a combination of luck to gain popularity.

From what I know, an indies group did exist in the 90s and at least another one in the 80s. There's just not much info on them and I don't remember their names at the moment. If there's at least one, there's definitely more. It's just next to impossible to find information since that was pre-internet era and stuff.
Formerly Mizura
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

There's clips from some 13ki event featuring Kudou on YT, which I found thanks to the suggestions after looking at Kamiko's Hinafest solo. Here's Futsuu no Shoujo A. Which I have to share because I loved this song when it came out (minus Masaki), and I'm so glad that it evolved to Kuduu taking Tanaka's parts. It feels righteous.

For nostalgia, here's 2013 and 2014 as well.
Last edited by MejraThea on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="208871" data-time="1499961218">There's clips from some 13ki event featuring Kudou on YT, which I found thanks to the suggestions after looking at Kamiko's Hinafest solo. Here's Futsuu no Shoujo A. Which I have to share because I loved this song when it came out (minus Masaki), and I'm so glad that it evolved to Kuduu taking Tanaka's parts. It feels righteous.

For nostalgia, here's 2013 and 2014 as well.</blockquote>
It's funny you bring this up cause I was listening to the song on repeat a few times the other day :lol:

Oddly, the thing that stuck out to me the most was how Reina was the only one in the original who sang with vibrato in the song, so it's nice to see that Haruka has made improvement in that area (though still singing plainly on some of the lines).
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

If you want to go down an H!P nostalgia rabbit hole on YT, check out the old_mm channel.

<div>Here's a clip of Kanashimi Twilight from some TV appearance in 2007. Not my favorite song by any means, but check out the vocal power in this line-up: Fujimoto, Takahashi, Tanaka, Niigaki, Yoshizawa and Kamei were all good-to-great singers. Sure, the lineup includes the two of the worst singers in MM's history, but that's okay, because the rest of the group was so good.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>And sweater dress Ai T is the best Ai T.</div>
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="208880" data-time="1499968539">

If you want to go down an H!P nostalgia rabbit hole on YT, check out the <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgxqtZ ... N0s0CuH2bA' class="bbc_url" title="External link">old_mm channel</a>.

Here's a clip of <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtcD4Xw7e6I' class="bbc_url" title="External link">Kanashimi Twiligh</a>t from some TV appearance in 2007. Not my favorite song by any means, but check out the vocal power in this line-up: Fujimoto, Takahashi, Tanaka, Niigaki, Yoshizawa and Kamei were all good-to-great singers. Sure, the lineup includes the two of the worst singers in MM's history, but that's okay, because the rest of the group was so good.

And sweater dress Ai T is the best Ai T.</blockquote>
Wow I forgot how bad Aika started out as until that chorus line :lol: She eventually got a little better at least... I think this is one of my favorite line-ups though.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

That video/song with Haruna and Tomoko singing about cats was cute, but then at the end they had a picture of Dawa's kitty that died and I got sad.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

lmao most of H!P were at Ongaku no Hi, and MM got their own timeslot. Except it cut to a CM right in the middle of their Jealousyx2 performance.

Here's the full performance, though.

And the full H!P performance of Renai Revolution 21 (Updated)
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

Hahaha that's terrible. Did it resume after the CM?
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Yeah, I'm guessing it did.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Special Edit of Pitch Pichi Tomodachi featuring JK Ninja Girls & Ninja Oyajis was uploading to the Kobushi Factory Youtube page.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

[quote="Saya"]
Hahaha that's terrible. Did it resume after the CM?
[/quote]
they had like 3 or 4 commercials, maybe more. Doesn't look like something that they solved asap :lol
but is this show aired live?

edit: nevermind I just realized Mizuki has a speech and then it immediately cuts to the beginning of the song lmao
Last edited by Derby on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hey
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

No, it's filmed before airing. MM were on at 1AM and H!P were on at 2AM, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: it happened before the performance and in the middle, so they aired the full thing again afterwards or something like that.
Last edited by Anderei on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I just watched the C-ute Spring 2015 concert tour "The Future Departure" for the first time--a great concert, arguably one of their best--and I had three questions.

1) It was performed a year before they announced their disbandment, but I'm wondering if the title of the concert is a clue to their plans. It certainly plays like a graduation concert and its tracklist would have worked just as well as the one they did for Final Live. Did they know that early that they were disbanding?

2) They perform "Flashdance (What a Feeling)," a 1984 hit originally performed by Irene Cara for the movie FLASHDANCE. As far as I know, this is the only time C-ute has performed a song entirely in English at a concert Is that true?

Also, how come I never heard about this before? It's a big deal. Airi really nails it. Chisato's really good, too. (Maimi's lines were generally indecipherable. And Nacky and Maimai don't get any lines.) Was there any discussion about this back in 2015?

3) The end credits list Magnolia Factory (seven members, Natsumi Taguchi is missing) and Camellia Factory (six members), plus five members of KSS (Kaga, Ichioka, Danbara, Kizuki Horie and someone I never heard of, Nagisa Hashimoto). They're all on stage only once, during "Dance de Bakoon," but the camera avoids them and we never see any shots by which they can be recognized in that number. Earlier, four of them--Riko Yamagishi, Lady Kaga, and two I don't recognize (probably Danbara and Horie)--perform the C-ute song "Shock," but when Riko announces it she identifies herself as Kenshuusei and not as Tsubaki Factory. They do backups in a few other numbers and I did spot Rio Fujii once, but they never perform as Kobushi or Tsubaki Factory. Unless they did opening acts that aren't in the DVD. Can anyone straighten this out for me?

Thanks.
Last edited by Madara on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

On 3), Tsubaki Factory was formed on April 29, while all but 2 concerts of that tour took place before that date. Therefore it makes sense Riko introduced herself as Kenshuusei. 
Hashimoto Nagisa was a Kenshuusei that transfered from the NICE GIRL! Project Kenshuusei. She left the KSS in July 2016, probably due to her age (she was 19 at that point). 

I'm not sure if Kobushi was an opening act at one point, Tsubaki was an opening act for the Yokohama Arena concert, though. 
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

2) I believe they have done All I Want For Christmas is You by Mariah Carey for a few Christmas/winter dinner shows. Can't remember for sure if it was them or another group.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Speaking of tours, someone on H!O pointed out that Tsubaki are two years into the game and haven't had a tour yet. Like, not even a live house tour. Which is really unusual.
kitaoji
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by kitaoji »

3) Re: opening acts:

C-ute opened for Morning Musume - the earliest one I can recall is Spring 2006 (Konkon's graduation at Saitama Super Arena).  
Kobushi Factory had announced their formation in January of 2015 and opened in a few MM'15 concerts, starting in April.  Not sure if they also opened at Budokan.  
Tsubaki didn't form until April 29 and only after the play (Triangle) was announced.  Their first performance as TF would be in that year's summer HelloCon.

Both KF & TF opened for Fukuda Kanon's graduation concert in November 2015.  I recall watching TF and commenting they were horrible.   :lol:

I'm fairly confident that TF opened for a whole bunch of people this year, ever since I started reading their blogs.  They opened for MM (Just Try was performed at last year's My Vision con at Budokan), Angerme and Country Girls.

Technically Kobushi was still in indies stage at this time - they didn't offiically debut until September - so they may not be performing as Kobushi Factory.

Momochigrad was the only time I actually saw the opening acts get recorded on a broadcast. There's always been a group that opens at a tour finale (also, Ogata Risa and Kishimoto Yumeno propped the DJ KANON sign in Budokan) but never get recorded for the broadcast or to disc.  

1) I forget where on JPLOP, but somewhere there mentioned that Maimai had difficulties with her parents since high school (i.e., at 16) over work/school priorities.  So, it's not hard to discount that theory that graduation was on her mind and she would have mentioned it to the other members.

On the other hand, C-ute had released a single "The Future" back in November and I would not be surprised if some well-intentioned staff used the rudimentary power of Google Translate to come up with "The Future Departure".  With a fair amount of squinting and alcohol, you could associate "to embark on a journey" with "to depart towards the future" and that it sounds cool.  Sometimes, that's all it takes.