The Case of the Overworked Idols

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

The Case of the Overworked Idols

Post by Shoujo Q »

It's coming to a point now that a thread needs to be made to keep track of this.

Okai Chisato - Vocal cord nodules
Takagi Sayuki - Vocal cord nodules
Sato Masaki - Hernia

<div>Aikawa Maho - Panic Disorder</div>
<div>Asakura Kiki - Hernia</div>
<div>Ogawa Rena - Anxiety Disorder</div>
<div>Miyamoto Karin - Functional dysphonia</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Let's compile a list. I know other girls have been MIA due to smaller injuries like sprains and flu. So far this is all I have from memory. In the future you can use this thread  (or posts will be moved from the news thread to here) to talk about injuries, medical issues etc.</div>
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Re: The Case of the Overworked Idols

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]

Miyamoto Karin - Functional dysphonia
[/quote]

This is news to me.

Edit: Oh, shit, it's in the other thread, haha.
Last edited by MejraThea on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

Momoko had vocal nodules too. Takahashi as well. I think they started it all with vocal nodules.

Aika's foot problem. Makoto did something to her back during Shabondama debut.

I don't think it is an influx as much as they noticing the problems and seeking medical attention. Especially in Maho's and Rena'a cases. I also feel like the recent bout of noticeable vocal lessons of all the girls may be due to all the surgeries going on as well.

EDIT: Manaba and her allergies.
Last edited by Purin-chama on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Sayuki bled out of her throat. Okai also had vocal nodules and had to get surgery for that.To add to muscle etc. injuries: Miki had something last year I think, and Kanon was out 2015 - just after she lost weight. (striked out the first two since they already got mentioned in the first post.)

I think they might just have a very unlucky year. Karin is not a newbie, maybe something stressful did happen in her life. However, considering Sayuki also had her throat bleeding... I wouldn't be surprised if they overworked J=J in their silly 220 concerts to Budokan thing. Karin's case would be a late reaction to this, though. Therefore... who knows...

Maho and Rena stick out a bit since actually talking about mental illnesses is something new in Japan in general it seems. They probably had members with symptoms like this before, but didn't know how to diagnose or name it. 

Hernia, well. The dances did get more complicated over the last, let's say, 5 years, maybe that's the reason why we didn't hear about it before. 
Last edited by DonJuan on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="DonJuan" data-cid="209167" data-time="1501006146">
Hernia, well. The dances did get more complicated over the last, let's say, 5 years, maybe that's the reason why we didn't hear about it before.</blockquote>Coupled with the fact both Masaki and Kiki are 2 of the harder working members in H!P. Masaki especially puts her all into performances. Could just be a matter of lifting something wrong at home and dancing aggrevating it too.
Last edited by Purin-chama on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Myst" data-cid="209166" data-time="1501002931">
Momoko had vocal nodules too. Takahashi as well. I think they started it all with vocal nodules.

Aika's foot problem. Makoto did something to her back during Shabondama debut.

I don't think it is an influx as much as they noticing the problems and seeking medical attention. Especially in Maho's and Rena'a cases. I also feel like the recent bout of noticeable vocal lessons of all the girls may be due to all the surgeries going on as well.

EDIT: Manaba and her allergies.</blockquote>
I think it's worth noting Aika's problems were genetic. Maho and Rena's issues don't necessarily have to be connected directly to work, although it can definitely exacerbate the problem.

I agree it's probably more that they're taking action. Sure the dances may be harder but MM especially used to work non-stop. They had to have been exhausted.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="209169" data-time="1501008330">
I think it's worth noting Aika's problems were genetic.</blockquote>
I couldn't remember if hers was or not. Tomoko, Ayaya, and Fuyumi (the anemia girl...Can't remember if that's her name) also have medical issues not related to being in H!P. Manaba probably should go in that group as well.

Edit: Fuyuka
Last edited by Purin-chama on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Myst" data-cid="209170" data-time="1501010129"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="209169" data-time="1501008330">
I think it's worth noting Aika's problems were genetic.</blockquote>I couldn't remember if hers was or not. Tomoko, Ayaya, and Fuyumi (the anemia girl...Can't remember if that's her name) also have medical issues not related to being in H!P. Manaba probably should go in that group as well.

Edit: Fuyuka</blockquote>

Yeah, she found out after her second injury that she's got very brittle bones.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

lol guys remember when konkon broke her ankle or something like right after debut
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I remember Tsuji falling off the stage and breaking something.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Yeah, physical injuries aren't really a new thing, aside form the vocal nodules maybe, but the mental/stress ailments are. It's probable that they are just now treating girls for such things, whereas in the past, they didn't, and girls had to just deal with it and perform. 
Haru
ANGERME

Post by Haru »

Wasn't Maachan out earlier this year with a hernia too?
[11:13:35 PM] Liam: DO NOT LET JAPANESE IDOLS GET IN THE WAY OF THE *AMERICAN* DREAM
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

[quote="yuzu"]
lol guys remember when konkon broke her ankle or something like right after debut
[/quote]

She fell off a stage and onto a light and burned her leg. Hardcore.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Nonaka fractured her foot too, she was wheelchair Musume in Houston. But I'm beginning to suspect she's just very clumsy. I think she's notorious for falling down a lot. 

Duu's been out with a sprained back and foot injuries as well.

Shoes are also a factor. They insist on making them all wear those heals while dancing. 
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
cromartiedropout
つばきファクトリー

Post by cromartiedropout »

Mako broke her rib (?) back in 2003, and Nacky had a hip issue a few years back.
<p class="bbc_center">❤︎中島早貴❤︎
❤︎梁川奈々美❤︎

❤︎羽賀朱音❤︎船木結❤︎上国料萌❤︎段原瑠々❤︎
❤︎一岡伶奈❤︎高瀬くるみ❤︎野口胡桃❤︎西田汐里❤︎北川亮❤︎
kitaoji
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by kitaoji »

don't forget Ayumi was on crutches and couldn't participate in the wakuteka recording, and Karin was out for one of their singles.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
Nonaka fractured her foot too, she was wheelchair Musume in Houston. But I'm beginning to suspect she's just very clumsy. I think she's notorious for falling down a lot. 

Duu's been out with a sprained back and foot injuries as well.

Shoes are also a factor. They insist on making them all wear those heals while dancing. 
[/quote]

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssss
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="209178" data-time="1501021480">
...the mental/stress ailments are. It's probable that they are just now treating girls for such things, whereas in the past, they didn't, and girls had to just deal with it and perform.</blockquote>Yeah

Masae recently posted she was being treated for depression. I doubt this is a new thing for her. Imagine MKB just had to deal with it at the time.
Last edited by Purin-chama on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I feel like the fact that they're on heels isn't the issue, but the quality of the shoes. Sometimes dancing in heels can even be easier depending on the style. On Broadway women wear character shoes (standard is 3" high, non Broadway is usually 2"-2.5"), and dancing styles like ballroom use heels too.

They usually have platforms which make the heels look higher than they actually are from where their foot actually is.

However overuse of muscles and not having enough time to rest their bodies and vocal instruments.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
AquaChan
ANGERME

Post by AquaChan »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Dani" data-cid="209187" data-time="1501030804">Mako broke her rib (?) back in 2003, and Nacky had a hip issue a few years back.</blockquote>
Didn't Ogawa Makoto had a cast on her leg during the shuffle promotion back in these days? I clearly remember her sitting during at "Get Up Rapper!" performance on a TV show.
Team Yellow love 
<p style="text-align:center;">♥ Rikako ♥ Yumeno ♥ Yokoyan ♥ Kamiko ♥ Kamei ♥ 
cromartiedropout
つばきファクトリー

Post by cromartiedropout »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="kitaoji" data-cid="209189" data-time="1501037643">
don't forget Ayumi was on crutches and couldn't participate in the wakuteka recording, and Karin was out for one of their singles.</blockquote>
Right, I remember her stand-still performances of Romance no Tochuu! Zukki hurt herself later and Karin took her place in the Seishun Kozou and Yuugure wa Ameagari videos.

Also, what exactly happened to Sayu during her grad concert? I've watched that medley 100 times and listened to her mic feed as many trying to figure out when and where she got hurt to no luck.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="AquaChan" data-cid="209201" data-time="1501077759">
Didn't Ogawa Makoto had a cast on her leg during the shuffle promotion back in these days? I clearly remember her sitting during at "Get Up Rapper!" performance on a TV show.</blockquote>

Was it her leg? I know someone broke their rib at some point, I thought it was her but it must have been Takahashi then. I remember she was sitting on the side from some mid-2000s MM concert.
Last edited by cromartiedropout on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">❤︎中島早貴❤︎
❤︎梁川奈々美❤︎

❤︎羽賀朱音❤︎船木結❤︎上国料萌❤︎段原瑠々❤︎
❤︎一岡伶奈❤︎高瀬くるみ❤︎野口胡桃❤︎西田汐里❤︎北川亮❤︎
AquaChan
ANGERME

Post by AquaChan »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Dani" data-cid="209202" data-time="1501078052">Was it her leg? I know someone broke their rib at some point, I thought it was her but it must have been Takahashi then. I remember she was sitting on the side from some mid-2000s MM concert.</blockquote>
Takahashi was sitting during the Sexy 8 Beat concerts (May 2007).
Team Yellow love 
<p style="text-align:center;">♥ Rikako ♥ Yumeno ♥ Yokoyan ♥ Kamiko ♥ Kamei ♥ 
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I can't imagine someone being able to sing with a broken rib. 
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I think hers was a leg or ankle issue.

Riho missed her first summer concer due to a back injury if we wanna add to the list.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

Pretty sure Makoto was a hip injury.  

Konno fell off of an Utaban set during the talk portion.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Conclusion: The members hurting themselves is nothing new. Mental illnesses are new because they haven't/couldn't diagnose/d them before, but judging from former members (Ootani, Maro) they probably happened before, too.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Dani" data-cid="209202" data-time="1501078052"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="kitaoji" data-cid="209189" data-time="1501037643">
don't forget Ayumi was on crutches and couldn't participate in the wakuteka recording, and Karin was out for one of their singles.</blockquote>Right, I remember her stand-still performances of Romance no Tochuu! Zukki hurt herself later and Karin took her place in the Seishun Kozou and Yuugure wa Ameagari videos.

Also, what exactly happened to Sayu during her grad concert? I've watched that medley 100 times and listened to her mic feed as many trying to figure out when and where she got hurt to no luck.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="AquaChan" data-cid="209201" data-time="1501077759">
Didn't Ogawa Makoto had a cast on her leg during the shuffle promotion back in these days? I clearly remember her sitting during at "Get Up Rapper!" performance on a TV show.</blockquote>
Was it her leg? I know someone broke their rib at some point, I thought it was her but it must have been Takahashi then. I remember she was sitting on the side from some mid-2000s MM concert.</blockquote>

Sayu twisted her ankle pretty badly while dancing. They probably chose another shot because they don't want to show her being injured in her final concert.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

[quote="Dani"]
[/quote]
It was during Renai Hunter. If I had to bet I would say during the chorus since they keep bouncing here and there while doing circles and that seems like a pain in the ass wearing those big platforms
Last edited by Derby on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Hey
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Derby"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Dani" data-cid="209202" data-time="1501078052">
<div>
[/quote]
It was during Renai Hunter. If I had to bet I would say during the chorus since they keep bouncing here and there while doing circles and that seems like a pain in the ass wearing those big platforms

</div>
</blockquote>

Yeah it was like right on the transition of the medley or something... When they do the little arm wave movement is at least when it became apparent. But it switched from that song to another right afterwards.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Related question: is there any H!P performer with a perfect record, never missing a performance?

Ten years ago, in an IM Chat conversation (remember those?), Kappa (remember her?) insisted to me that Rika Ishikawa had a perfect attendance record.

I would have thought Momoko might have qualified, but I just watched a concert (H!P Winter 2013) where she's absent.