Musicals

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

WonderBuono
ANGERME

Musicals

Post by WonderBuono »

Does anybody here like musicals?

First of all, I just watched Newsies in Netflix and it was way better than I expected: y’all gotta watch it before it expires today.

Second, and most importantly, my family just got tickets to go see Hamilton!

I love musicals, they’re a little cheesy but they’re grand, entertaining, and leave you humming the themes when you’re done. Problem is I haven’t really gotten out to see much, and this will only be my second time going to Broadway. But I want to change that and see more, even if I have to watch the filmed versions like with newsies. (Admittedly I kinda like it better cuz I can watch from the comfort of my home.)

Anyway y’all may not care but I don’t really use my blog anymore so I needed a place to put this lol.

I also would love to go see a Hello Project production once my Japanese is good enough to understand the gist of the story. And I still haven’t seen lilium.
Last edited by WonderBuono on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Re: Musicals

Post by arcobaleno »

I was browsing on Netflix and happened upon Hairspray. I've heard about it many times throughout the year so I decided to watch it. It was pretty cute, and I still have Good Morning Baltimore stuck in my head, lol.

I was into them a lot more when I was younger in terms of going out and looking for new ones, but I have my favorites and usually just watch those when I feel in the mood. I was big into the Sailor Moon ones

Lilium is great if you like tragic stories. The acting was good as well as music. Triangle was OK, I liked it more for some of the songs than the plot. But I liked Riho as Kiri, she was pretty good.

I'll have to look into Hamilton someday when I feel in that mood, I've heard nothing but good.
Noa
ANGERME

Post by Noa »

I love musicals. On Broadway I’ve seen: The Lion King, The Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Memphis, and Finnian’s rainbow.

I’m seeing Rent out here in Chicago this year.
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Sailor Moon musicals and Wicked are on my list too! They had the Wicked tour in my town last year and I missed it!
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I love certain musicals.  Fiddler, 42nd Street, West Side Story...obviously SeraMyu and some of the H!P ones.  But let me tell you Kinky Boots was a real fucking treat.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Zange
つばきファクトリー

Post by Zange »

Saw this topic and was instantly summoned.

I haven't seen anything on Broadway, but I did see Phantom of the Opera back in November when the tour came to Omaha. My second cousin plays Monsieur Andre in that tour and getting to meet him was the highlight of my day. I'll get to see Mamma Mia when I'm in Chicago this weekend so that'll be fun.

But my favorite musical is hands down A Chorus Line. It was popular many years before I was even born and it really doesn't get as much attention as I think it should today, which makes me sad because it's really a work of art.

As for Japanese musicals, really the only ones I've seen are the first two Kuroshitsuji musicals (which are a thing for some reason but the songs are actually quite good).
Now, what you hear is not a test
 -  -  -  
kitaoji
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by kitaoji »

ooh, there's a lot I can say here!

I watched Cinderella three years ago - the one that was adapted off the MM 2008 musical, which in turn was based off the original Rodgers & Hammerstein 1957 telecast.  I really should attempt to watch more, but there are unfortunately other things that I should be doing with money that sets aside these watchings. 

The Sakura Taisen game series franchise back in the day was entirely about an all-female troupe that performed plays, so some wonderful producer got it into his head that he'd make real life musicals starring the seiyuu who would act their characters - and these characters would put on a musical in the second half.  I devoted years of my life before 2.5D musicals were popular with the general public. They may have also been the main reason why I stuck hard with picking up all things Japanese (and how I ended up here with H!P).

I will always have a special place in my heart for the H!P musicals, I mean I also came to H!P by way of Ribon no Kishi and cannot recall how much sleep was lost when the Cinderella DVD came out.  Recent MM shows have been somewhat lackluster but H!P as a whole has been distributing the work to their other groups (Tsubaki is doing one this year, for example).
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

[quote="kitaoji"]
 I devoted years of my life before 2.5D musicals were popular with the general public.
[/quote]

I have never heard this term before but I quite like it. Sounds more interesting than "anime musical" haha.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I love Sakura Taisen, although I have only seen the first two series and never played any of the games!
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Hamilton was amazing. I cried like four times cuz it was just so good.
freezingkiss
ANGERME

Post by freezingkiss »

We saw the Moulin Rouge theatre show earlier this year (Melbourne production) and given how obsessed I was/am with the movie, I liked it a lot (but of course I still love the movie more). My husband LOVED ITTTT and listened to the soundtrack so many times it was so lovely.

I really want to see 9-5 later this year too in Brisbane as the cast is fantastic (speaking of Moulin Rouge it has Caroline O Conner - who was Nini in the movie, in it). I'm just so bummed theatre tickets are so expensive!
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

^omg, my friend and I plan on seeing Moulin Rouge this fall when it comes to Cologne :lol:
But yeah, tickets can be super expensive :wacko: the cheapest for us would be 70€, the ones we originally planned to get are 120€... (per person ofc.)
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

This is a cool thread that deserves more love!
I can count all the musicals I've seen on one failed apprentice metalworker hand:
- Phantom of the Opera (West End (? I think!) production on tour in Dublin)
- Lion King (ditto)
- Sound of Music (not sure, I think a local production also in Ireland)
- Mamma Mia! (in London so I think West End proper, maybe, I don't know how it works lol)

To this day I'm still amused that the one I enjoyed the most was the least likely one, namely Mamma Mia! Not sure what put me off the other ones, that's not to say they were bad, but maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe the productions were too full of themselves if that makes sense. Mamma Mia! managed to be pure unpretentious fun, even during moments of distilled cringe i.e. audience participation. :hahaha:
I would like to see more, but at the same time I feel stingy dropping nearly $100 per person for a couple hours of something that's not on the top of my list of entertainment. But I'd definitely go see Moulin Rouge if it's ever touring nearby.

As far as movie musicals go, Suicide Club remains my solid favorite for 20+ years and counting. :pirate:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~