Hello!Spam :: 2023 ~Dancing, Singing, Exciting!~

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Anderei
つんく♂

Re: Hello!Spam :: 2020 ~Anniversary Mode~

Post by Anderei »

We finally have a photo book ranker after an onslaught of releases during COVID.

Chisaki’s photobook ranked 9 with 1,068 copies.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I do wonder how well Rio's photobook will do. She's the pushed ace and has much more potential than Chisaki imo, but Chisaki already has an established fanbase.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Even a lot of popular girls don’t rank, and most of the time you don’t need to sell much to rank (800-1200 depending on the week with very few exceptions). I wouldn’t expect anything crazy.

Chisaki actually looks great neck up on her cover (rest of it is just basic boring swimsuit). If I didn’t recognize her name I never would have guessed it was her.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Funaki announced her graduation on October 18 of last year and still has no graduation in sight. Is this the longest it’s ever taken anyone to graduate in H!P? I’m not even fully convinced she’s still leaving at this point.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Shimakura Rika just melted Me! https://youtu.be/4Le1aQg79bM

If we don’t get some sort of cover album after all this I’m going to need to send a strongly worded letter to UF.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Anderei"]
Funaki announced her graduation on October 18 of last year and still has no graduation in sight. Is this the longest it’s ever taken anyone to graduate in H!P? I’m not even fully convinced she’s still leaving at this point.
[/quote]

She seems really happy in every video I've seen this summer, too. I really hope she just changed her mind and sticks around for a few more years.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I feel like Wada had the longest time between announcing her graduation and graduating but Funakinhas said the last Angerme single was her last so she’s just going to wait it out till they can have some sort of a real graduation concert I guess. Same with Karin.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Apparently Dawa announced April 8, 2018 and graduated June 18, 2019. Funaki is in the set lists for the concerts through early December so I think she’s gonna beat her.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Hm. If fans were allowed to cheer then Funakki (and Karin) would graduate this year. But who wants to go in front of an audience of politely sitting, quiet people? Yeah.
I do wonder however how they intend on keeping this. It's unlikely that Corona will be gone by summer next year.

Also, if anyone has 3 hours to spare: Today's budokan concert of The Ballad.
Last edited by DonJuan on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="DonJuan" data-cid="221061" data-time="1602524206">
Hm. If fans were allowed to cheer then Funakki (and Karin) would graduate this year. But who wants to go in front of an audience of politely sitting, quiet people? Yeah.
</blockquote>

Murota! But we still don’t know if there was something extra going on behind her quick grad.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="DonJuan"]
Also, if anyone has 3 hours to spare: Today's budokan concert of The Ballad.
[/quote]

Why yes, I do have a spare 3 hours. I kind of loosely ranked them as I watched, and unsurprisingly my top 3 performances were Sayuki solo, Sayuki and Sakura duet, and Sakura solo. Pleasant surprises were Uemura, who I expected to be good, but I swear she was channeling Ayaya here, and I had her 4th. Layla faded toward the end, but when she's on, she's really impressive. Kishimon has become legitimately good. Haga was not good, but neither was she the plugged-toilet she used to be, and I'm proud of how far she's come. Still, it's crazy to think that of the four 12th gen members, only one became a serviceable singer. Speaking of which, Miki was really good. Cracking the top 10 at 9 was the biggest surprise for me: Homare. Her sustained notes were unstable (like most of the girls not named Sayuki), but she's improved every facet of her singing. Her comfortable range is expanded, she's really confident, and she's developed some character beyond "cute." In fact, she's got a little bit of soul, now. If she keeps improving like this, she's gonna be an H!P legend.

There were quite a few disappointments in this show, too. Maa and Karin seemed like a strong one-two punch to open the show, but both were off. Maa appeared to be having issues with her monitor, so maybe others had the same problem, but she never found her groove, or the center of many notes. Ditto for Karin. I don't expect Ayumi to be good, but I expected her to be better than bottom-ten bad. Takeuchi's non-stop warble vibrato is the one thing that keeps me from loving her voice, but it totally killed her here. Speaking of vibrato, it's crazy how most of the girls who have it ended up sounding out of tune when they used it. This is one of the most obvious things to notice that elevates Sayubee and Sakura from the rest of the pack, because their vibrato either pulls them into, or holds them on, pitch. And lastly, everyone here knows I'm not a huge Fukumura fan, but I thought she'd be better than she was.

Oh, and Maria broke out in tears toward the end of her song for some reason. She pulled it together fairly well and forced a smile afterwards, but I wonder what caused that? She wasn't good, but she wasn't any worse than anyone would expect from her, either. (I ranked her 28th.) I did feel bad for her having to follow Sayuki, though, because Sayuki is a beast. 
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Maa-chan's birthday event was really hard to watch... she's got some vocal issues happening I swear. Wouldn't be surprised if they announce after this tour she's got vocal nodules or she just straight up announces her grad. While most girls sound really good after their rest, she sounds worse than ever.

I'm pretty pumped to sit and watch them all. I have some really awesome performers I'd like to see how they do.

ETA: No BEYOOOOONDS? uhhhh??
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

^off to 101 Beyooooondsian Nights. (They're out for their stage play.)

/EDIT: Since I was on the phone when I first posted this I just made a short comment, here comes my longer opinion.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="221066" data-time="1602560972">
Why yes, I do have a spare 3 hours. I kind of loosely ranked them as I watched, and unsurprisingly my top 3 performances were Sayuki solo, Sayuki and Sakura duet, and Sakura solo. Pleasant surprises were Uemura, who I expected to be good, but I swear she was channeling Ayaya here, and I had her 4th. Layla faded toward the end, but when she's on, she's really impressive. Kishimon has become legitimately good. Haga was not good, but neither was she the plugged-toilet she used to be, and I'm proud of how far she's come. Still, it's crazy to think that of the four 12th gen members, only one became a serviceable singer. Speaking of which, Miki was really good. Cracking the top 10 at 9 was the biggest surprise for me: Homare. Her sustained notes were unstable (like most of the girls not named Sayuki), but she's improved every facet of her singing. Her comfortable range is expanded, she's really confident, and she's developed some character beyond "cute." In fact, she's got a little bit of soul, now. If she keeps improving like this, she's gonna be an H!P legend.

There were quite a few disappointments in this show, too. Maa and Karin seemed like a strong one-two punch to open the show, but both were off. Maa appeared to be having issues with her monitor, so maybe others had the same problem, but she never found her groove, or the center of many notes. Ditto for Karin. I don't expect Ayumi to be good, but I expected her to be better than bottom-ten bad. Takeuchi's non-stop warble vibrato is the one thing that keeps me from loving her voice, but it totally killed her here. Speaking of vibrato, it's crazy how most of the girls who have it ended up sounding out of tune when they used it. This is one of the most obvious things to notice that elevates Sayubee and Sakura from the rest of the pack, because their vibrato either pulls them into, or holds them on, pitch. And lastly, everyone here knows I'm not a huge Fukumura fan, but I thought she'd be better than she was.

Oh, and Maria broke out in tears toward the end of her song for some reason. She pulled it together fairly well and forced a smile afterwards, but I wonder what caused that? She wasn't good, but she wasn't any worse than anyone would expect from her, either. (I ranked her 28th.) I did feel bad for her having to follow Sayuki, though, because Sayuki is a beast.
</blockquote>

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The crying fitted Maria so well, I thought she was moved by the lyrics. She is a crybaby after all.

Karin has been over it for nearly a year now. Maybe longer, considering she never came back to her peak level after her horrible year with illnesses. And Masaki, yeah, as TicTac said, her voice is damaged. Which is sad, because she really is one of the members who usually makes a song her own. I do feel though that singing ballads made them all improve on singing with feeling and emotion.

Total agree on Homare. I was super surprised, since she was supposed to be the worst singer out of 15ki (though they're all still amazing songstresses compared to most of MM's recent additions). I thought she was better than Mei yesterday. She still sounds like a baby, she has this really childish voice, but it's not the forced cute voice many idols use - it's genuine.
I'd also like to add Riai and Yume as nice surprises. Layla too, she started out really strong. I know Riai is good, but I really enjoyed her here, too. And I'm not sure if Yume just messed up at Solo Fes but I was surprised that she was actually that good. At least Manaka level. I guess constant performing with Juice=Juice does that to you.
Also, no surprise but still worth a mention: Funakki. I'm going to miss that girl.

Negative surprises... well, less of a surprise but more of a disappointment is Yokoyan. She honestly sounds horrible, worse than Akane this time. She was never amazing, but during her first two concert tours I thought she could become an okay-ish singer, the Gaki-level Phoenix-out-of-the-ashes kind. Takechan fell a bit flat, as did Mizuho, sadly. Masaki and Karin were disappointing as well of course, but I've already mentioned them above.

And while it was not bad or anything, but Ruru wasn't as amazing as I thought she would be. This time Sayuki and Sakura definitely were the songstresses of H!P, while Ruru went from the very best during Solo Fes to... probably still top 10, but not quite up there.
Last edited by DonJuan on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="DonJuan"]
And while it was not bad or anything, but Ruru wasn't as amazing as I thought she would be. This time Sayuki and Sakura definitely were the songstresses of H!P, while Ruru went from the very best during Solo Fes to... probably still top 10, but not quite up there.
[/quote]

Yeah, I felt the same about Ruru. I still had her ranked quite high, but that was purely based on skill. She usually owns a song, and she just didn't at this show.

Of others I didn't mention before, Moe acquitted herself quite well, and was one of my favorites. Kaga's first few notes were like, "What is this?" level exciting, but she was on the edge of losing it through the first chorus, and by the second, she was hanging on for dear life.

Rei was off. Her song was higher-difficulty, but she just couldn't center any of the notes. 

Oh, and you mentioned Reina being worse than Haga; I agree, but I had Haga better than Reina, Ayumi, Erina and Chisaki. 
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Oh yeah, Moe did well, but I feel she's always doing well. She's not an amazing singer, but she's absolutely good. Stable, with little weaknesses.

Going more spam-y: I don't really like Yokoyan's blue hair. Sakura dying her tips pink looked pretty cool and fits her really well, but the blue just looks... idk. It reminds me of what we did in high school when we went crazy with our hair. Not really good quality.

Example:

[spoilerbox]Image[/spoilerbox]
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I saw the preview photos of this and I feel like the hairstyling ruins it. It’s unusually glam for them and then you get the regular idol hair.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Anderei"]
I saw the preview photos of this and I feel like the hairstyling ruins it. It’s unusually glam for them and then you get the regular idol hair.
[/quote]

Yeah I agree, but I'd even go a step further and say that the regular makeup/styling doesn't suit the hair color either... I think it could look at least "interesting" if they played into the fact that it's different than the ever-popular idol-next-door look all H!P girls are doing rn
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="221115" data-time="1603216462"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="221113" data-time="1603213355">
I saw the preview photos of this and I feel like the hairstyling ruins it. It’s unusually glam for them and then you get the regular idol hair.</blockquote>

Yeah I agree, but I'd even go a step further and say that the regular makeup/styling doesn't suit the hair color either... I think it could look at least "interesting" if they played into the fact that it's different than the ever-popular idol-next-door look all H!P girls are doing rn</blockquote>

Yeah, when I said unusually glam I mostly meant the outfits. From the neck up this could be just a regular selfie for most of them. Missed opportunity for a much cooler than usual shoot but I guess work is work.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Oh yeah definitely, but I guess it's very H!P to half-ass something like that.

And maybe I chose a bad photo, I don't like the colour in her selfies either... I guess someone like Ikuta could work it, but she's too much into the light brown/blonde style now.
I think Rina had that colour before, too - and for her it worked with her fashion stuff. Reina is just too... normal.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I actually cannot see the color in that photo at all, I just remember seeing the shoot a few (couple? I have no idea.) weeks ago and thinking it was so lame and could’ve been so much more stylish.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Rio is really climbing the ranks. This solo idea really helped the new girls probably more than just doing the normal concert run. You really get to see them shine or fail.

I’d go so far as to say the latest generation of Morning Musume are just about as interesting as the 9/10th gen. They’ve overshot 12th, that’s for sure. At least in my eyes.

From J-Melo
<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://youtu.be/GA1LMRrg1fY' class="bbc_url" title="External link">https://youtu.be/GA1LMRrg1fY</a>
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I'd say the 15th gen is the best generation in terms of talent on their first day since at least the 6th, and arguably the 2nd. Rio is the obvious bet for "future center" based on her maturity and overall skill set, with Mei likely filling a primary support role. Homare is a wildcard, though. At first glance she seems like the "cute member" who gets attention for little other than being cute -- and it's a role she could excel at if that was all she aspired to -- but it looks like she wants more than that, and knows she has the potential to far exceed that narrow role. 
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I think they all are appealing in a way, and, what might be even more important, they seem to be willing to play the idol role.
A lot of previous additions felt more like "a cute girl who'd like to try out being an idol", with no ambition at all. It's very clear that Rio wants something out of her idol business, may it be exposure to a potential future career or may it be a center place. Mei seems very optimistic and she has already found a niche for herself - she can play the cute, immature, a bit annoying girl with a crazy obsession. The last one who did that was Ikuta, honestly, but I feel Mei can go further than that.
Homare is indeed just cute right now, but compared to other cute members she's not tone deaf (like Sayumi), or ultra shy/awkward (like Chisaki). If she creates even the tiniest bit of personality she can go a long way.

Maybe they're also "just" lucky to come to the group at that point. It's unlikely that all three will be in the shadows of a bunch of seniors for 5+ years like 12th gen. Even if Miki, Maria, Akane, Kaede, Yokoyan or Chisaki stay for 5 more years it's unlikely that they'll never get surpassed by a 15th gen member, they're simply not ace material. 12th gen knows that their time in the limelight will be short (if they ever get any) and it seems like they've gotten comfortable in their positions.

/EDIT: Just checked it. 12th gen has been around for more than 6 (!) years now. :ph34r:
Last edited by DonJuan on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="DonJuan"]
I think they all are appealing in a way, and, what might be even more important, they seem to be willing to play the idol role.
A lot of previous additions felt more like "a cute girl who'd like to try out being an idol", with no ambition at all. 
[/quote]

Yes, I absolutely agree with this. That's a big reason characters like Sayu and Momochi did so well for themselves.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Yeah, that's a great observation. Has the "part-time idol" thing ended to the point where the only girls who go through the trouble of auditioning are those who are serious about a career in show biz? It seems like H!P is having success finding talent in these group auditions recently. Rio, Homare and now Wakana are all more talented than anyone in KSS atm.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I would say that H!P has always attracted fewer part time idols than just about every other group. It basically feels like a rich girls club for people that don’t need to go to college. Other groups/companies have WAY more members leaving to fully retire/focus on school.

I still think that if you’re super serious about your future, H!P isn’t where you end up, though. It’s stable, but H!P doesn’t make real stars. I think it’s telling that the most successful grad they’ve had in over a decade was a soloist who wasn’t that well known as a singer.
Last edited by Anderei on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Anderei"]
I still think that if you’re super serious about your future, H!P isn’t where you end up, though. It’s stable, but H!P doesn’t make real stars. I think it’s telling that the most successful grad they’ve had in over a decade was a soloist who wasn’t that well known as a singer.
[/quote]

I assume you're talking about Mano... but my first thought of "most successful grad" went to Airi, lol
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="221216" data-time="1604377314"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="221215" data-time="1604373559">
</blockquote>

I assume you're talking about Mano... but my first thought of "most successful grad" went to Airi, lol</blockquote>

I wish I could say it was Airi because I think she’s got far more it girl factor than most of the people who have graduated this decade. But her sales are already dropping so I think it’s just gonna be fingers crossed that she gets a lucky break somewhere.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I also wonder how much about Airi's "success" has been Up Front and how much her own ties to the showbiz lol.
Then again, who was the last idol-turned-singer who really made it?

[quote="Anderei"]
I would say that H!P has always attracted fewer part time idols than just about every other group. It basically feels like a rich girls club for people that don’t need to go to college.

[/quote]

Yes, that's what I meant with "trying out". They have no ambition to actually do something in their life - I mean look at MM right now. What are Ayumi and Mizuki doing? Sakura? Masaki and Miki go to university at least, Ikuta has her business and friends in showbiz, but other than that... It also shows that if you really want to make it, you leave H!P early enough. See Meimi, Duu. Those that are hitting the 10 year mark won't do much in showbiz in their life, just the classic "I'm an H!P OG and therefore in this TV show/stage play/modelling collab".
Last edited by DonJuan on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.