Tokyo Girls Style

We listen to stuff outside of H!P? What?!?

Moderator: tsukinobyouin

Mukuro
ANGERME

Re: Tokyo Girls Style

Post by Mukuro »

TGS are seriously the best. I  decided to get into them last year and there are no regrets there. 
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Konishi Ayano is officially leaving the group. She hadn't been participating in group activities since the middle of last year -- apparently she messed her back up -- and has now decided that the idol game just isn't for her anymore. TGS will continue as a 4-person unit.

It's really been all downhill since they publicly announced that they would no longer be "idols" and instead be "artists".

http://www.tokyohive.com/article/2015/12/tokyo-girls-style-member-konishi-ayano-to-leave-the-group-retire-from-showbiz

Ayano was the subject of one of the greatest idol moments ever: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21hgwe_tokyo-girls-style-get-the-star-live-with-ayano-on-drums_music
Last edited by JPope on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="193927" data-time="1451673654">
Ayano was the subject of one of the greatest idol moments ever: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21hgwe_tokyo-girls-style-get-the-star-live-with-ayano-on-drums_music
</blockquote>

Wow, why did I not see that before? :omg:

All idol music sounds so much better with a live band. All idols should obligatorily only perform with a live band. :dammit: And all idols should have members rotating on different instruments, or just playing them all themselves.

Too bad the closest we got to it in H!P was that one odd time when Makoto played drums live for one Biyuuden song. :nono:
Last edited by aine on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
freezingkiss
ANGERME

Post by freezingkiss »

Of course my favourite member and their best singer had to leave. Oh well. I didn't see her coming back anyway. It IS sad that she said 'she has lost confidence' as a TGS member. 
新垣里沙 ♥ 須藤茉麻 ♥中島早貴 ♥ 譜久村聖 ♥All of C-ute ♥All of Berryz♥

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="193927" data-time="1451673654">
</blockquote>

[/quote]

Maybe I should have posted it sometime sooner:tongue:

I think that really is my all time favorite idol moment. So many of the moments we as fans remember are sad -- graduations and such -- and the unrestrained joy on her face while playing drums -- especially towards the end -- is infectious.

I wonder if there was a part she was worried about fucking up and got through it cleanly, and that's why she's smiling so much in the last chorus? That's kind of what it looks like.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="193941" data-time="1451697960"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="193931" data-time="1451680522"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="193927" data-time="1451673654">Ayano was the subject of one of the greatest idol moments ever: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21hgwe_tokyo-girls-style-get-the-star-live-with-ayano-on-drums_music</blockquote>
Wow, why did I not see that before? :omg:</blockquote> 

I think that really is my all time favorite idol moment. So many of the moments we as fans remember are sad -- graduations and such -- and the unrestrained joy on her face while playing drums -- especially towards the end -- is infectious.

I wonder if there was a part she was worried about fucking up and got through it cleanly, and that's why she's smiling so much in the last chorus? That's kind of what it looks like.</blockquote>
Yeah, I saw your post afterwards. It must have been one of those many cases when a thread got marked as read for me one way or another and then I forgot to check it again.

I like your positive spin on it. It does look very satisfying watching her even if I can't tell anything about the level of her drumming.

We do need more moments like this. There is one I can't forget personally, but it has to do with the band in my signature and I don't want to annoy people by plugging them everywhere. :lol:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="193941" data-time="1451697960">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="193931" data-time="1451680522">

</blockquote>

</blockquote>

I wonder if there was a part she was worried about fucking up and got through it cleanly, and that's why she's smiling so much in the last chorus? That's kind of what it looks like.

</blockquote>

Yeah, I saw your post afterwards. It must have been one of those many cases when a thread got marked as read for me one way or another and then I forgot to check it again.

I like your positive spin on it. It does look very satisfying watching her even if I can't tell anything about the level of her drumming.

We do need more moments like this. There is one I can't forget personally, but it has to do with the band in my signature and I don't want to annoy people by plugging them everywhere. :lol:

[/quote]

Seriously, she's not bad. She could play in a bar band, no problem. You'll notice another drummer as they pan the stage, but she's only shaking a tambourine. Ayano is performing without a net in front of a huge crowd, and nails it.

Maybe I'll start a thread in the Member's Territory for you to post your moment without guilt.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

She honestly was always my favorite member of TGS and pretty much the only reason I sort-of-kind-of kept an eye on them.  Such a beautiful voice, wasted on a (for me) underwhelming idol group (although their music did allow more room for her vocals to shine than it would've had in most other groups).  I hope she returns to show business at some point.
Last edited by Farrah on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

So TGS released a new single last month, "Tokyo Girls Journey" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYRKfeRTyHc), and I really like it, but why does it seem like they forgot how to sing? They don't suck, but they all sound like they've regressed in terms of power and control -- like someone told them to stop singing properly and just sing through their nose. Compare their new single to "Himawari to Hoshikuzu" from 10 years ago when they were all young teens. I know their best singer left over four years ago, but all of them sound better to me in the old song.

Anyway, "Tokyo Girls Journey" is really good, with a definite 80s vibe (the verse is channeling "Thriller" big time), but not completely retro. This is my favorite TGS single in years.
freezingkiss
ANGERME

Post by freezingkiss »

Yeah. I still somewhat followed them after Ayano left. Their production of music is amazing but their vocals are very, very weak. They almot could have been better off auditioning for a young replacement who could really belt. The re-recorded songs without Ayano are just..meh. 

momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

^That’s be such a slap in the face to the current members though. This group has also been around for like 10 years, they’re probably going to disband in the next couple years.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
freezingkiss
ANGERME

Post by freezingkiss »

[quote="Saya"]
^That’s be such a slap in the face to the current members though. This group has also been around for like 10 years, they’re probably going to disband in the next couple years.
[/quote]

Oh absolutely agree. I meant back when she first left. I still like them. Their songs are still well produced and I reckon Hitomi Arai is going soloist route if they do disband, as she's already released some solo songs. 

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

TGS just released a new album, Nocturnal, which is basically a collection of their singles dating back to 2018, plus two new songs. "Corner Cut Memories" is one of the new tracks, and it's a return to form of sorts. It definitely channels the sound of their prime years with Royal Mirrorball without outright copying it. The funk is there, but the hard RMB edges are softened considerably. I like it a lot.