Movies

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Elpis
ANGERME

Re: Movies

Post by Elpis »

I liked it a lot when I first watched it but when I rewatches it, it definitely wasn't as good. I don't remember much of the first movie so this one has felt more memorable to me.
Formerly Mizura
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

JJ Abrams to direct a live-action Your Name remake

I hope the big California earthquake comes soon and wipes both Hollywood and Silicon Valley out in one fell swoop. :geof:
Last edited by aine on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

He has a good eye for visuals and since he's not writing the script, there's a chance it won't be garbage.
Still probably unnecessary, though.

In other movie news, Blade Runner 2049's FIRST TWITTER REACTIONS!!!! (GONE SEXUAL) are quite positive. Unfortunately that's not saying much in the overhyping of everything times we live in.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

I don't understand how you can remain so optimistic. :dancer:

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I've got nothing against J.J. himself, but whyyyy does Hollywood think that any good animated movie needs a live-action remake? I'm sick of Disney doing it with all their classics; just leave it alone. It just cheapens the concept of the movie for me and makes it seem like they're saying animation isn't good enough. I hate it.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="210420" data-time="1506585542">I don't understand how you can remain so optimistic. :dancer:</blockquote>
"Unnecessary" and "probably overhyped" is optimistic for you! lol
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I can't wait to see how he works Greg Grunberg into this one!
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I watched Manchester by the sea a few days ago.

Rarely have a seen such a drab, depressing, sad and perfectly cast movie. If you're in the mood for something sombre, this is the perfect story to watch.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

New Mutants has been my favorite comic since I was like 10 years old, and it's becoming a movie with two of my favorite actresses starring in it. It looks highly inspired by the Demon Bear Saga and Legion era of the comics, but I don't know how to feel about the asylum-type setting. Please don't suck!!!
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Some joker in The New York Times decided to "rank" the Studio Ghibli movies--all of them. And he dismisses several of my favorites. He calls ONLY YESTERDAY "kind of ordinary" and says WHISPER OF THE HEART looks like a lot of non-Ghibli anime (what?!!!), and calls OCEAN WAVES a "pedestrian romance." Methinks they got the wrong person to do this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/movies/ranking-studio-ghibli-movies.html?hpw&rref=movies&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=thumb&module=region&region=region&WT.nav=region
Last edited by Madara on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Putting Mononoke at #2, he truly is absolutely insane. :party:
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I definitely don’t agree with some of the choices but I’ve also not seen a lot of the lesser known films that were released in the 80s or 90s.

This is the unpopular opinion but I don’t like spirited away at all so it being number one is definitely not something I agree with. I don’t remember much of Whispers of the heart other than the fact that I didn’t like it. Although I was also about 10 years younger so I probably didn’t understand it well. I also didn’t like Porco roso but I was also having eye problems so I couldn’t read the subtitles so I probably didn’t know what was happening for 90% of it. The one thing I do agree on is tales of earthsea being at the bottom. That movie was the worst.
Formerly Mizura
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

Eh, that's why we have opinions... honestly when people tell me I'm crazy for liking or not liking a show or movie, I feel super annoyed and offended, like my opinion isn't worth anything.

I love Spirited Away, though... but there are definitely some Ghibli movies I wouldn't watch again if I had a time machine.
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="210420" data-time="1506585542">I don't understand how you can remain so optimistic. :dancer:</blockquote>
I was cautiously optimistic and ended up being audio-visually blown away in a way I never imagined was possible from a sequel to a movie released 35 years earlier.

I definitely need another viewing to find/understand all the nuances and little details, of which there are plenty. Hopefully there's going to be a long director's cut.

Unfortunately, it was once again REALLY hard to find a 2D screening that's not on a super tiny screen. Even worse, the ventilation didn't work properly and every seat ended up being taken (which just shows people want movies in 2D). By the end we had sweat on our foreheads.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="210868" data-time="1509493993">I was cautiously optimistic and ended up being audio-visually blown away in a way I never imagined was possible from a sequel to a movie released 35 years earlier.

I definitely need another viewing to find/understand all the nuances and little details, of which there are plenty. Hopefully there's going to be a long director's cut.</blockquote>We watched Blade Runner 2049 last weekend. I gotta take back my earlier misgivings and pessimism, I've also been blown away and most pleasantly surprised. I'm gonna blame this on the dumb marketing strategy of trying to sell it to the typical action movie audiences. But you know there is a problem in the system when you get tricked by great trailers into watching shit movies and by awful trailers into almost skipping on great movies.

It wasn't a perfect movie and there was a few too many roundabout kicks to the face and not quite enough tears in rain but it stood out amazingly solid apart from the original BR and didn't try to be something it couldn't be.

Fortunately we didn't have a problem finding a 2D screening, actually it was only offered in 2D right now. It's been running for a month now and I'm sure there were some 3D screenings before, but thankfully this fad seems to be mostly dead in the US.

I regret not seeing it sooner though because I could still catch it in IMAX back then, it absolutely deserves to be seen on the largest screen possible, almost every shot is a visual masterpiece.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="210032" data-time="1505149244">Laputa is probably the most formulaic Ghibli movie I've seen (yet). It is all around nice to watch and there's not much to dislike, but I really would have loved to know more about the Laputans!, even if the movie's story wouldn't have profited from it. I was just really curious!</blockquote>It's a little late to be bragging about this now (I'm just this slow with getting to post about stuff I want to post), but just two days before you posted that I did get to see Azumi Inoue perform with her daughter Yuyu at J-Pop Summit in SF. She's the singer who sang a lot if not most theme songs for Ghibli movies, of course she performed the Laputa song too and it was amazing. Also Yuyu is cute as hell and is totally being groomed into the next generation soothing anime song singer, although she did perform her own pop-rocking song too (and even played guitar to it).

Laputa is a great movie though and I think it's perfect as it is, dwelling any deeper on the background would have taken away from the magic and mystery.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="210419" data-time="1506581939">He has a good eye for visuals and since he's not writing the script, there's a chance it won't be garbage.</blockquote>Japan has figured out how it's gonna go down the day the news broke:
Spoiler: [+]
read right to left
---
---
---
---

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="210419" data-time="1506581939">Still probably unnecessary, though.</blockquote>Speaking of unnecessary remakes, I just learned they remade Murder on the Orient Express. It's coming out very soon apparently. WTF. Judi Dench is in it so I may feel compelled to watch it though.
Last edited by aine on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I saw Jigsaw this weekend.  It was better than I expected, half predictable and half quite a twist.

Monday I saw the new Pokemon movie and goddamn if that wasn't traumatizing.
Kaori • Risako 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="210997" data-time="1510134783">I'm gonna blame this on the dumb marketing strategy of trying to sell it to the typical action movie audiences.</blockquote>
When there's a movie I definitely want to watch at the cinema, I usually just watch the reveal trailer, wait for the reviews and that's it.
So many trailers give away important plot twists and really just hamper the initial experience.

I do have to admit though, I tend to forget most of the things I see in trailers. Even when it's a movie I care about.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="211003" data-time="1510169435"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="210997" data-time="1510134783">I'm gonna blame this on the dumb marketing strategy of trying to sell it to the typical action movie audiences.</blockquote>
When there's a movie I definitely want to watch at the cinema, I usually just watch the reveal trailer, wait for the reviews and that's it.
So many trailers give away important plot twists and really just hamper the initial experience.</blockquote>That's my general rule too, unfortunately I had to see the extended BR2049 trailer before Terminator 2 3D in a theatre not too long ago and that trailer made it seem the whole movie was about Harrison Ford and shooting and kicking faces. I know me being generally apprehensive about the sequel to begin with didn't help, but whoever was the target of that face-kicking trailer would probably have walked out before the first real scene even started.

I'm still amazed how a current year movie with Ridley Scott's name on it could be so good. I feel like they must have given him the producer title paid him off just so he would shut up and not interfere. Apparently he was too busy with Alien Covenant to direct BR2049 himself. A:C turned out to be just a little less complete turd than Prometheus, but since the Alien franchise (my all-time favourite franchise mind you) has been raped to death long ago this is a sacrifice that I'm happy with considering how good BR2049 has turned out.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="yuzu"]

[/quote]

Uh-oh. Did you agree with my daughter or with me on this one?
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

[quote="Madara"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="yuzu" data-cid="211001" data-time="1510164044">
<div>

[/quote]

Uh-oh. Did you agree with my daughter or with me on this one?

</div>
</blockquote>

I agreed with you, there was just some stuff at the end that brought me to stupid tears haha
Kaori • Risako 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="207023" data-time="1491940535">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="207000" data-time="1491903214">
And now that I can get off of my high horse I'd also like to say that Shin Godzilla is a better Evangelion movie than all the Rebuilds put together. :lmfao:
</blockquote>

Considering only one out of the three released so far is even good, that's not saying much. =P

I'm looking forward to that movie too (I read some other reviews that said it's a return to form for Anno), but it's playing nowhere near me, so I'm going probably just going for a "1080p.BR.mkv". Or stream it if available soon.

</blockquote>

Well, now that I've seen it on Amazon Prime Video, I could really slap myself for not watching it on the big screen.
It was absolutely amazing. Wonderful in pretty much every aspect.

I kept giggling throughout the movie, because there were so many instances of "yeah, that's pretty much Evangelion". haha
Last edited by Ap2000 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

The Battle Angel Alita Hollywood version has some REALLY weird looking CGI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8mN_7Apcw
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="Ap2000"]
The Battle Angel Alita Hollywood version has some REALLY weird looking CGI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8mN_7Apcw
[/quote]

Well, damn if that doesn't just throw you straight into the Uncanny Valley.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I accidentally read some spoilers about the nu Star Wars movie and I have to say, I never expected to be this unphased about coming across spoilers from a Star Wars movie I haven't seen yet.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

So I have no idea how I missed it... probably because I was trying to avoid Coco spoilers at the time... but I just found out today that John Lasseter was one of the people in Hollywood who was called out for inappropriate behavior/harassment and wow... this is the first one that's been kinda personal. Lasseter has been kind of a hero for me (even though I already suspected he had major character flaws what with how much power he holds in Disney) so I'm disappointed to say the least. I can't find many details so I don't want to make major judgments yet but I hope that's not me just being defensive because he's someone I looked up to.

Also the way I found out was because my mom bought me books about him for Christmas (she didn't know either) so my dad brought it up, and now I'm just wondering if it's weird to keep them or worse to ask to return a gift? I've never believed that an artist's personal life should negate their work but considering they're about HIM specifically makes it a little... uncomfortable.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I don't know the guy or what those books exactly are (autobiographies?).
But you don't have to like a person to read about them.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Technically short biographies I suppose but they're more like collector's items for me as a Pixar fan (one was actually meant for kids).

But yeah you're right it's probably fine I just wanted to be sure I wasn't treating things differently because of who he is. But it's not like owning a book will change anything.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

The great political "puzzle game" Papers, Please got a short movie that I highly recommend watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHHGETsxkE

It's just 10 minutes long.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="arcobaleno"]
I'm going to drag mom to Gravity someday, I promise that. I want to see this so baaaaaaaad.
[/quote]

Over four years later (wow, I can't believe it's been so long...), I have finally seen Gravity. My parents rented it, so I watched it. I don't think I have ever had a movie give me such raw anxiety, even just on our generic TV monitor, it felt so real, my palms were sweaty for 85% of the movie, lol.

It was very good, I think later watches will help me appreciate it more than this first time because I was just half-enjoying, half-being-too-stressed-by-this-shit.