TV thread!

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Derby
ANGERME

Re: TV thread!

Post by Derby »

Well, last year I used to follow Big Brother 14 (Spain) but it was so boring I could not even finish it, and I hated the past edition.
But this year a couple of friends convinced me to see the 1st program of the 15th edition with them, and God, they went too over-the-top to be as original as possible this time

The contestants are participating in couples, one of them is paired with his goat :( and for the first time the host is also living with them, her partner is a chicken...
What am I supposed to think about this as a viewer?
Image Hey
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

You are being blessed with quality television. Embrace it.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

I have recently started watching Secret Diary of a Call Girl (because I love Billie Piper) and I love it. I began watching it because I love Billie Piper (probably due to her being Rose Tyler in Doctor Who since that is my favorite companion) but its turned out to be one of those obscure and slightly off the wall things that I seem to like but would be embarrassed to share with the public. I am really interested in the book now after learning it is based off of a recounting of an actual London call girl's time working.
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

The DC Comicbook fan in me screams for me to follow Gotham and Constantine. I love Gotham so far! Selena is absolutely beautiful. Her eyes are simply gorgeous. I am anticipating Constantine now~ I admit that I didn't really get hooked in Smallville for long so I was pleasantly surprised I liked this. Now, I think I am going to start catching up to Arrow.   

<div> •*/) /) </div>
<div>ฅ(• - •)ฅうん•*¨*•. Usa-chan PEACE!♬ </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Anyone watching "Peter Pan" Live on NBC tonight?

I watched the Mary Martin version as a child, but I believe it was taped and not live, although it could have been. I know I saw it more than once as a child. And then it came on again, on tape, when my daughter was young, so I taped it and had her watch it, too. Last year, I met the actress who played Tiger Lily in that production.

P.S. I watched the first half. It was terrible. Allison Williams, daughter of NBC newscaster Brian Williams, played Pan and she has only minimal talent. She would have been okay in a high school or college production of the musical, but not on a live network TV broadcast seen by millions. And Christopher Walken just sleepwalked through the Captain Hook part, doing occasional Walken schtick, but never investing the part with any real spirit.

Last edited by Madara on Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I've done some pieces on my film blog on tracking down TV westerns from the 1950s and '60s that featured Asian stars in them, in plots involving Chinese characters settling out west or Japanese characters traveling through the west.

I just found my first comedy treatment of the subject in an episode of "F Troop" form 1967 in which a runaway bride from Japan is pursued by a samurai seeking to return her to an arranged marriage. Both are played by Japanese-American actors. I thought it was pretty funny and made good use of the American characters' admiring reaction to elements of Japanese culture. I found it overall quite respectful, considering how often "oriental" humor could be pretty demeaning in those days.

I'm curious what others think especially if you take my recommendation to watch the whole episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pWAkgjNRs
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Anyone watching the NHK morning drama, "Massan"? It's based on a true story about a Japanese man in the early 20th century who goes to Scotland to learn how to distill whiskey and marries his landlady's daughter and brings her back to Japan with him to go to Osaka to start Japan's first whiskey distillery.

How did I hear about this? Well, the American actress, Charlotte Kate Fox, who plays the Scottish wife, was on Kohaku Uta Gassen and they showed clips from the drama during a song. During the introduction onstage she spoke Japanese, but apparently didn't know any when she got the job.

Here's a shot from the drama:
Last edited by Madara on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Anybody following the whole fan-produced professionally-polished Power Rangers short film with James Van Der Beek (DAWSON'S CREEK) and Katee Sackhoff (BATTLESTAR GALACTICA) and how it got pulled off Vimeo and YouTube by Saban?

I don't know if there's a link to the video anywhere, but here are some interesting articles on it. 

Jason David Frank (former Green Ranger Tommy Oliver) weighs in in true Power Ranger fashion:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/26/8113959/green-ranger-r-rated-power-rangers

The producer of the short rails against Saban:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/26/adi-shankar-power-rangers-bootleg-film_n_6764594.html

P.S.RIP Leonard Nimoy. Farewell, Mr. Spock

Last edited by Madara on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

OH BOY! :bounce:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">Thirteen years after the original series run, FOX has ordered the next mind-bending chapter of THE X-FILES, a thrilling, six-episode event series which will be helmed by creator/executive producer Chris Carter with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson re-inhabiting their roles as iconic FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. This marks the momentous return of the Emmy- and Golden Globe Award-winning pop culture phenomenon, which remains one of the longest-running sci-fi series in network television history.

The announcement was made today by Dana Walden and Gary Newman, Chairmen and CEOs of Fox Television Group and Chris Carter, creator and executive producer of THE X-FILES. Production on THE X-FILES event series is set to begin in summer 2015. Further details remain under wraps and will be announced at a later date.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” said Carter. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of THE X-FILES – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” remarked Newman and Walden. “THE X-FILES was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as THE X-FILES, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”</blockquote>
I'm putting my griping about no remastered Blu-Rays being out yet on the backburner for now. :alien:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Twin Peaks, X-Files, I hope StarGate SG-1 is next. lol
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

@Madara I actually watched it. Power/Rangers, right? The gritty version of Power Rangers. All I can say that it is definitely not for kids and it feels like the type of movie that is dark for the sake of being dark and cool. It isn't too bad, but I definitely wouldn't encourage young fans to watch it.

<div> •*/) /) </div>
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

The X-Files is coming back? Dang. I started watching the show with my mom about... I dunno, two years ago? I think we made it through about 15 episodes. XD I really need to catch up now.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Did anyone here watch "Empire"? I didn't think so. It's a great old school primetime soap for old farts like me. I love the melodrama in it, and the characters are all interesting but the music might not be exactly to my taste. Still I like the way the music is incorporated into the fabric of the show in a way that makes dramatic sense. (The show's about the behind-the-scenes backstabbing at a hiphop record label.) The first season ended. I hope they don't wait too long to bring on Season 2.

Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

A K-pop-inspired show about a trio of Asian/Asian-American girls premieres on Nickelodeon tonight. It's called "Make It Pop" and it's reviewed in The New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/arts/television/review-make-it-pop-on-nickelodeon-veers-toward-k-pop.html?ref=todayspaper

One of the stars, Megan Lee, is apparently a K-pop performer in her own right. Anyone here ever hear of her?

Last edited by Madara on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Daredevil comes to Netflix Friday and the new season of Game of Thrones starts Sunday. Aww yeah!
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Madara"]
A K-pop-inspired show about a trio of Asian/Asian-American girls premieres on Nickelodeon tonight. It's called "Make It Pop" and it's reviewed in The New York Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/06/arts/television/review-make-it-pop-on-nickelodeon-veers-toward-k-pop.html?ref=todayspaper

One of the stars, Megan Lee, is apparently a K-pop performer in her own right. Anyone here ever hear of her?
[/quote]

So I watched the show. It's amusing and pleasant in a Nickelodeon knockoff-of-Glee/HS Musical/Cheetah Girls kind of way. But simpler and much more streamlined. Two pop songs performed in the first ep. In a style you'd expect from Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel. (This whole show seems more like a Disney Channel project.)  But the girls are cute and funny and charming.  And the lead, Megan Lee, seems to have studied at the Brenda Song School of Acting. Anyone else watch it?

The ethnicity of the three girls isn't established, although the third one appears to be from Mainland China, since she's heard speaking Mandarin in one scene, although she speaks English with no accent. Nor am I sure of the ethnicity of the three actresses, although I'm guessing Megan Lee is Korean-American and Louriza Tronco is Filipino-Canadian. The third one, Erika Tham is spelled Erika Tam on IMDB. No info about her. Ms. Tronco is already a graduate of the Canadian College of Performing Arts in Victoria B.C., so she's already 5 or 6 years older than her character on the show. But she pulls it off. None of the girls' IMDB pages list years of birth.

Last edited by Madara on Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I forgot to watch it. :( I guess they'll probably put it online soon.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Sunday was the 40th anniversary of Sentai (the Japanese franchise that spawned Power Rangers) and I did a writeup on my film blog:
https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/40-years-of-sentai-japanese-costumed-superhero-teams/

Sentai is still going strong in Japan with the newest season, "Shuriken Sentai Ninninger," with a ninja theme, on the air right now:

And the original "Zyuranger," which was the basis for the first season of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, is now out on DVD in a subtitled edition:

Last edited by Madara on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="186970" data-time="1428320708">
<div>

[/quote]

So I watched the show. It's amusing and pleasant in a Nickelodeon knockoff-of-Glee/HS Musical/Cheetah Girls kind of way. But simpler and much more streamlined. Two pop songs performed in the first ep. In a style you'd expect from Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel. (This whole show seems more like a Disney Channel project.)  But the girls are cute and funny and charming.  And the lead, Megan Lee, seems to have studied at the Brenda Song School of Acting. Anyone else watch it?

The ethnicity of the three girls isn't established, although the third one appears to be from Mainland China, since she's heard speaking Mandarin in one scene, although she speaks English with no accent. Nor am I sure of the ethnicity of the three actresses, although I'm guessing Megan Lee is Korean-American and Louriza Tronco is Filipino-Canadian. The third one, Erika Tham is spelled Erika Tam on IMDB. No info about her. Ms. Tronco is already a graduate of the Canadian College of Performing Arts in Victoria B.C., so she's already 5 or 6 years older than her character on the show. But she pulls it off. None of the girls' IMDB pages list years of birth.

</div>
</blockquote>

I watched the show and I honestly enjoyed it. I didn't think I would actually because I am not a big fan of Kpop. I found all of them charming. Sun Hi is my favorite character, but I understand why she isn't so liked. Corki is a close second. 

Megan Lee I have heard of. She is cutiepiemeg in youtube and I admit that I was a fan of hers. I loved her work when she was a kid. She did collaborations with another youtube musician, Sungha Jung. Her acting needs work but I think she played her character well.~ then again I think they all did. My only problem with it was the camera work. 

<div> •*/) /) </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="michisings"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="186984" data-time="1428365861">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="186970" data-time="1428320708">
<div>

[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

I watched the show and I honestly enjoyed it. I didn't think I would actually because I am not a big fan of Kpop. I found all of them charming. Sun Hi is my favorite character, but I understand why she isn't so liked. Corki is a close second. 

Megan Lee I have heard of. She is cutiepiemeg in youtube and I admit that I was a fan of hers. I loved her work when she was a kid. She did collaborations with another youtube musician, Sungha Jung. Her acting needs work but I think she played her character well.~ then again I think they all did. My only problem with it was the camera work. 

</div>
</blockquote>

I'm glad you're liking it. I've watched all four episodes so far and have generally liked them. My only complaint is that some of the supporting characters (e.g. dumb blonde Heather, bitchy cheerleader Valerie, egotist jock Jared, the eccentric principal) are coming off as too cartoonish. They don't need to treat them like that. They can make them more believable and still have a fun show. I think the three main girls are all cute, charming and funny and I've enjoyed all of the upbeat numbers they've done so far. I esp. like the middle girl, Jodi (Louriza Tronco), who's quite witty and much more sensible and mature than the others (the actress is a few years older also). Her sassiness isn't just sitcom-sassy, she seems to have earned it. It comes from a place of genuine skill and confidence. And I like the fact that it's three Asian girls. 

I'm not sure exactly why, but this show grabs me more than any of the similarly-themed music shows Disney Channel ever did (Hannah Montana, Cheetah Girls, High School Musical). I think it's because the three girls here don't make it look like they're trying too hard. They seem to be relaxed and having fun with it--y'know, like Hello! Project girls! They're also not trying to be sexy. Which I think makes a big difference also. There's an innocence here that strikes me as refreshing.

Question: does anyone recognize the performer in the poster on the wall of the girls' room?

I tried to get shots of the other posters in the room (including one of an Asian boy band) but I was unable to. 
Last edited by Madara on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I don't think it's a poster of an idol. I think it's an ad for something. Probably cosmetics.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="michisings" data-cid="187075" data-time="1428660053">
<div>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="186984" data-time="1428365861">
<div>

<div>

[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

</div>
</blockquote>

I'm glad you're liking it. I've watched all four episodes so far and have generally liked them. My only complaint is that some of the supporting characters (e.g. dumb blonde Heather, bitchy cheerleader Valerie, egotist jock Jared, the eccentric principal) are coming off as too cartoonish. They don't need to treat them like that. They can make them more believable and still have a fun show. I think the three main girls are all cute, charming and funny and I've enjoyed all of the upbeat numbers they've done so far. I esp. like the middle girl, Jodi (Louriza Tronco), who's quite witty and much more sensible and mature than the others (the actress is a few years older also). Her sassiness isn't just sitcom-sassy, she seems to have earned it. It comes from a place of genuine skill and confidence. And I like the fact that it's three Asian girls. 

I'm not sure exactly why, but this show grabs me more than any of the similarly-themed music shows Disney Channel ever did (Hannah Montana, Cheetah Girls, High School Musical). I think it's because the three girls here don't make it look like they're trying too hard. They seem to be relaxed and having fun with it--y'know, like Hello! Project girls! They're also not trying to be sexy. Which I think makes a big difference also. There's an innocence here that strikes me as refreshing.

Question: does anyone recognize the performer in the poster on the wall of the girls' room?

I tried to get shots of the other posters in the room (including one of an Asian boy band) but I was unable to. 

</div>
</blockquote>

I still watched only 3 episodes. I agree that the side characters are a little too cliche for me, but I guess I have seen their type so much I stopped minding. For the same reason, I liked Sun Hi I think because she reminds me a little bit of myself when I was younger. Vain and I was especially hit when she admits to her parents comparing her to girls like Corki. I grew up not wanting to be the lawyer my parents wanted and my parents saying "We gave you everything, so why aren't you as good as so-and-so?!" I think that is also why I like Sun Hi. She is fourteen and she seems much more accepting of it than I was at her age. Hahahaha~

They are sort of like H!P in a way for me that they cultivated personality and not just their sharp movements. While their dancing is not in sync, I still believe that they are having fun. I usually associate Kpop with cute and sexy but I think for the show they focus a lot more on cute so I love it a lot more. As you said, the innocence is refreshing. 

<div> •*/) /) </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

That's a very interesting connection, Michisings, and a good reason why the character resonates for you. I hope you'll allow me to quote you if I do a blog entry on the show. :thumbsup:

I know that the show has gotten some flack for not featuring Asian males and I can understand that. But at the same time, I can relate strongly to the character of Caleb. I was like that at that age. I was a drama major (at the High School of Performing Arts in New York) and just starting to learn my way around the opposite sex. During those years, I hung out with and had crushes on black and Puerto Rican girls from the dance department, girls who were not unlike Jodi. So the character of Caleb resonates for me.
Last edited by Madara on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="Madara"]
That's a very interesting connection, Michisings, and a good reason why the character resonates for you. I hope you'll allow me to quote you if I do a blog entry on the show. :thumbsup:

I know that the show has gotten some flack for not featuring Asian males and I can understand that. But at the same time, I can relate strongly to the character of Caleb. I was like that at that age. I was a drama major (at the High School of Performing Arts in New York) and just starting to learn my way around the opposite sex. During those years, I hung out with and had crushes on black and Puerto Rican girls from the dance department, girls who were not unlike Jodi. So the character of Caleb resonates for me.
[/quote]

Go ahead. ^^ I don't mind. Just want to assure you though that I do have a great relationship with my parent despite that. I guess as you grow older, you realize that you have better things to do with your time than thinking and worrying about it. "LIKE WORLD DOMINATION"  

I never understood that. There are still 4 episodes. Plenty of time to introduce new characters, so I they might still feature Asian males. And it isn't like Caleb is a bad character. If they don't feature other Asian males, I am still very much okay. I've never been really into the Asian boy band-type anyway. 
Last edited by michisings on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

<div> •*/) /) </div>
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

So I'm now three episodes into Make It Pop, and admittedly, I kinda love it. Of course it's childish and cheesy as I expected, but it's colorful and cute and the songs are actually pretty catchy. And I've always loved shows with girls who have totally different personalities but still get along. I guess if I were in the target age for this show I'd probably love it a lot more, but it's just fun to watch. :) I do wish they didn't have to use the mean cheerleader stereotype though...
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="WonderBuono"]
So I'm now three episodes into Make It Pop, and admittedly, I kinda love it. Of course it's childish and cheesy as I expected, but it's colorful and cute and the songs are actually pretty catchy. And I've always loved shows with girls who have totally different personalities but still get along. I guess if I were in the target age for this show I'd probably love it a lot more, but it's just fun to watch. :) I do wish they didn't have to use the mean cheerleader stereotype though...
[/quote]

Yay! Someone else who likes it! Actually, the lyrics themselves aren't always that good but what makes it good still is that all of them can actually sing. 

<div> •*/) /) </div>
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="michisings" data-cid="187122" data-time="1428924678"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WonderBuono" data-cid="187117" data-time="1428898928">

So I'm now three episodes into Make It Pop, and admittedly, I kinda love it. Of course it's childish and cheesy as I expected, but it's colorful and cute and the songs are actually pretty catchy. And I've always loved shows with girls who have totally different personalities but still get along. I guess if I were in the target age for this show I'd probably love it a lot more, but it's just fun to watch. :) I do wish they didn't have to use the mean cheerleader stereotype though...</blockquote>

Yay! Someone else who likes it! Actually, the lyrics themselves aren't always that good but what makes it good still is that all of them can actually sing. </blockquote>

Agreed, I like their voices. I wish they would stop making Jodi rap though. XD
michisings
Kenshuusei

Post by michisings »

[quote="WonderBuono"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="michisings" data-cid="187122" data-time="1428924678">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WonderBuono" data-cid="187117" data-time="1428898928">

</blockquote>

Yay! Someone else who likes it! Actually, the lyrics themselves aren't always that good but what makes it good still is that all of them can actually sing.</blockquote>

Agreed, I like their voices. I wish they would stop making Jodi rap though. XD

[/quote]

Haha~ really? Why?

<div> •*/) /) </div>
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

In last night's episode, Corki (Erika Tham), the secretive honor student from, presumably, Mainland China, falls under the influence of the cheerleaders and starts dressing, styling and talking like them. It's pretty damned funny and the dialogue is pretty clever. I know it's a standard teen sitcom trope, but I love the way the actress played it. And Megan Lee (as Sun Hi) is really winning me over. She really knows how to get the laughs and make us like her even when she's at her most attention-whoring. Also, Jared, the self-loving jock, is starting to behave more and more like a human being. 

Oh, and I don't mind Jodi's raps, either.  :thumbsup:
Last edited by Madara on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

LOL I just think her raps are really cheesy, but then again the show is already cheesy, and it's not like it's much worse than most K-pop group's rappers. :D