Carl Macek, 1951-2010

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

al kusanagi
つんく♂

Carl Macek, 1951-2010

Post by al kusanagi »

Carl Macek just passed away...

I know he got a lot of shit for "butchering" anime, but without this guy, anime would probably not have gone mainstream. For all you yung'uns out there, his company Streamline Studios, brought out anime such as Akira, Fist of the North Star, Wicked City, Robot Carnival, and others way back in the late 80s/early 90s, long before anime was "cool."

More importantly, he was the man who fused together three unrelated series into what would become known as Robotech, giving a 10-year-old Al his first taste of Macross, my favorite anime franchise of all time.

Thanks for the hard work, Carl.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
aine
ANGERME

Re: Carl Macek, 1951-2010

Post by aine »

Daaaamn... My opinion of him will always be ambiguous due to the heavy edits of the anime he released, but his role and influence in shaping the anime market as it is today is indisputable. Al pretty much said it all. The influence wasn't this very strong on this side of the pond as it was in the States, but in the happy pre-divx days it was boggling our minds why did his name keep popping up in every title we watched from a 10th generation VHS copy... RIP Carl.

Split the thread because it deserves separate mention. Check this ANN link for more info and a lot of links to further readings.
Last edited by aine on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~