The K-Pop Spam Thread

aka MM-BBS does Asia. Forum for all your Korean music needs.

Moderator: Arichii

WonderBuono
ANGERME

Re: The K-Pop Spam Thread

Post by WonderBuono »

Not to be a hater, I liked 4minute, but Hyuna was the only one that I REALLY cared about so... I'm not crying over this.

At least they made it through their entire career with the same line-up.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Cube hasn't actually confirmed this, but I still wouldn't advise anyone to keep their hopes up.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WonderBuono" data-cid="198127" data-time="1465792329">Not to be a hater, I liked 4minute, but Hyuna was the only one that I REALLY cared about so... I'm not crying over this.</blockquote>
Yeah, 4minute was always just Hyuna and the background dancers for me.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I didn't really follow 4minute but I liked some of their songs so this is still disappointing.
Formerly Mizura
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Dang, that's a downer but at least Hyuna keeps going, I guess...
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Some notable songs released in June (playlist).
<ul class="bbc">[*]Brave Girls - High Heels

An unfortunate departure from "Deepened", but Brave Brothers channels his mainstream AOA sound onto Brave Girls with this song.
[*]DIA - On the Road

A bright pop song that almost sounds like it should have gone to G-Friend. This group includes I.O.I's Chaeyeon and Produce 101 member Huihyeon (aka Cathy). (Fun fact: Chaeyeon didn't know part of the choreography when the group showcased the song on Weekly Idol, so she just stared at the camera, which is exactly what popularized her on Produce 101.)
[*]EXID - L.I.E

A very busy song with a lot of musical elements thrown together, which makes for a hot mess. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) EXID do love their innuendos. See also the alternative dance video.
[*]gugudan - Wonderland

A very safe debut song with a water/bubble theme. This group includes popular I.O.I members Sejeong and Mina and popular Produce 101 member Nayoung.
[*]Kisum - No Jam

More like no nutella because this song is overflowing with jam. (Fun fact: 노잼 (nojaem) is slang for 재미없어 (jaemieopseo), meaning "not fun".)
[*]San E, Raina - Sugar and Me

A chill summer hiphop collab featuring I.O.I's Doyeon as the actress in the music video. San E and Raina have previously worked together in 2014 with highly popular "A Midsummer Night's Sweetness".
[*]SISTAR - I Like That
The K-pop summer girl group switched things up this year by going to with a somewhat darker concept but still came out with a successfully catchy song.
[*]TAEYEON - Why

A good tropical house-influenced summer song. The cinematography in the video is great. There also seems to be some connection to the story in "Starlight".
[*]Younha - Get It? (Feat. HA:TFELT, Cheetah)

A fun power anthem by three great artists. (Fun fact: This song was written for one person by Wonder Girls' Yeeun, but Younha convinced her that the song was too fierce for a single person.)
[/list]
Last edited by Zaeleus on Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

I saw some people complaining about the EDM on Taeyeon's Why so I expected some MM'14 crapsong but is not really that severe :/
Image Hey
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Wow I didn't know the I.O.I girls were allowed to still be part of a group in their own company... it must be really tough to balance both.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WonderBuono" data-cid="198530" data-time="1467391604">Wow I didn't know the I.O.I girls were allowed to still be part of a group in their own company... it must be really tough to balance both.</blockquote>
The ones who rejoined their groups are now on hiatus from I.O.I. The other seven members formed a subunit, sans Yeun Jung who "needs more practice".
Last edited by Zaeleus on Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

DIA performed a really cool rock version of "On the Road" on Inkigayo today. Yebin is on guitar, and Eunice and Jenny swap in and out of the dance group for the keyboard and keytar, respectively. Huihyeon (Cathy) gets an extended rap in the bridge. (Also check out the band member on the right rocking a Seaboard. That's the first time I've seen one in the wild.)
Last edited by Zaeleus on Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

We need a Twice thread. I can make one, but I don't know enough about half of the members to write a good opening post.

Momo did a really cool dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3v6HQcdxOE

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

So KCON is currently going on in LA this weekend. I had no idea until I Ubered a young couple over there this morning. The girl was shocked I knew who SHINee and TTS were. I dropped a Baby VOX reference, and she goes, "I think I'm too young to know them." :rofl: She recovered by calling me "the coolest Uber driver ever" on her way out of the car, though.

I wish I'd known about this, because all of the shows at the Staples Center are sold out. I.O.I is gonna be there tomorrow.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

I just got back home from KCON LA 2016. It started July 29, but I didn't get there until the second half of the second day.

I went straight to the convention center after I landed in LA, and even though it had been open for half the day already, I was greeted to a huge line wrapped around the building just to check in. An hour and a half later when I finally got inside the building, there was yet another line. (This was a common theme.) Little did I know, I had VIP access with the tickets I bought and could have skipped the line to check in.

Show Floor

I headed up to the show floor afterward. It was loud, it was crowded, and everyone was yelling. It was roughly separated into four sections: K-pop/dramas, makeup/jewelry, technology/VR, and branded products.

Shops were selling CDs, posters, towels, light sticks, and pretty much everything idol related. There were a lot of booths doing dance or song covers, particularly from popular YouTube personalities (I think).

You could make your own jewelry, try on makeup, do nail art, etc. I didn't really look into this much.

The VR/AR stuff had things like superimposing your K-pop idol into the frame with you for pictures, dancing with them in real-time, and the typical headset/hand controller combo to explore a virtual world. It didn't seem like anything too fancy, particularly the former technology, but the lines were long and people were excited to have their virtual idol rest his/her head on their laps.

Most of the branded product booths had giveaway games going on: throw a die, spin a wheel, throw darts at a board, etc. Lines were ridiculously long for all of these, and I didn't want to wait to only be given a chance to win something. I only did the Soompi line since all you had to do was install their app on your phone, show it to them, and you get free stuff. Quick and easy.

There was also a "Flower Boy Café", which was essentially a themed café where you're served by pretty boys. I had two passes that came with my tickets but gave them away.

One of Mnet's booths had an Produce 101/I.O.I backdrop.

Food

Image Image

Around the block, KCON had an entire street dedicated to Korean street food. Even though the convention center had a food court, I just had the street food both days I was there. Bibimbap, bulgogi, rice cakes, Korean BBQ, dumplings, raindrop cakes, etc. were all there.

Those tornado fries/spiral tornadoes were definitely a hit.

Backstage Tour

On day 3 (Sunday), I started off with a backstage tour at the arena. They took all of our phones, and we had to go through security checks to make sure we weren't sneaking anything in. The guides took us to an empty MONSTA X dressing room, which was quite normal, and we got to watch the end of TWICE's and beginning of Eric Nam's rehearsals. This took around half an hour, and wasn't very interesting. I was expecting to meet at least one of the artists.

Rap Survival Reality Show Panel

I scuttled back to the convention center to get in line for the "Rap Survival Reality Shows (SMTM & UPRS)" panel. I don't remember the names of the panelists, but they worked with Korean rappers and personally know some of the SMTM contestants. Topics included general hip hop culture and how it has evolved the past decade, Flowsik on SMTM5, copycat rappers (à la Truedy) vs those who push the envelope possibly too far (Black Nut), and UPRS3 contestants (more so about how they keep adding prettier people/more idols each season). The session was fairly interesting overall.

High-Touch Event

With the pass I had, I was guaranteed two high-touch events (essentially a handshake with an artist). There were 10 events in total, and a lot of people who didn't get the artist they wanted either traded or sold their passes. Luckily, the lottery gods took pity on me that day, and my first scratch off was TWICE!

This was incredibly lucky because having missed half the conference, getting an artist I wasn't there for would have been useless. (I would have been so sad if I had gotten I.O.I.) And that's actually what happened with my other ticket, which was Turbo who had their event the day before.

The high-touch event went by in a flash. You're lined up with everyone, and once you get onto the stage, it's rapid fire high-fives (in this case, high tens). The staff pushes you along so you don't hold up the line. Even so, it was awesome. I got to high-five all of TWICE. People were coming off the stage crying; that's how extreme some of these fans were.

Red Carpet

I had an all access pass to the red carpet events. As expected, the artists who were to perform that night walk down a red carpet to a stage in one of the halls, stand there, say a few words, and walk out.

This was not very exciting. There was ~15 minutes between artists, and the announcer just had to stall for time. If you didn't get in line early (I was roughly in the middle), with everyone crowded up front with their cameras up high, it was incredibly difficult to see the stage from the back. I was there for Eric Nam, ASTRO, and TWICE but ended up leaving early to line up for the concert.

Concerts

KCON had a two concerts during the weekend at the Staples Center, featuring a different set of artists on each day. Day 1 included I.O.I, DEAN, GFRIEND, ZICO (Block B), Amber (f(x)), Turbo, Block B, and SHINee; and day 2 included MONSTA X, ASTRO, TWICE, Eric Nam, Davichi, Girls' Generation-TTS, and BTS.

I was in the platinum section, which is closest to the front stage. It was great area, particularly since it wasn't extremely crowded, but it had a major disadvantage: when the artists moved the middle stage, you were stuck either watching their backsides or turning to the video displays.

Below is the set list for each day. I linked to some photos and short recordings I took, but I'm sure there are better fan pictures and videos online somewhere.

Concert, Day 1 (2016-07-30)

Suddenly, Quincy Jones.

* I.O.I: Dream Girls, Pick Me, When the Cherry Blossoms Fade

* DEAN: bonnie & clyde, I'm Not Sorry

* GFRIEND: NAVIRELLA, Me Gustas Tu, Rough

* ZICO: Boys and Girls (feat. U-Kwon (Block B)), Pour Up / ZICO & DEAN

* Amber: Shake That Brass (feat. Chungha (I.O.I)), Borders

* Special stages: Goodbye Yesterday (orig. Turbo) / ASTRO, Black Cat Nero (orig. Turbo) / GFRIEND

* Turbo: Again, Twist King, Loveable, December

* Block B: Toy, A Few Years Later, Her, Very Good

* SHINee: View, An Encore, Beautiful, Everybody

* Closing ceremony: I.O.I, GFRIEND, et al.

Concert, Day 2 (2016-07-31)

* MONSTA X: All In, Hero, Trespass

* ASTRO: Breathless, Cat's Eye, Hide & Seek

* TWICE: CHEER UP, I'm gonna be a star, Like OOH-AHH

* Eric Nam: Can't Help Myself (feat. JinJin (ASTRO)), Into You / KOLAJ & Eric Nam, I Just Wanna / Amber Liu feat. Eric Nam

* Davichi: This Love, 8282, Don't Say Goodbye

Image Image

* Special stages: Uptown Funk (orig. Mark Ronson) / TWICE, Moves Like Jagger (orig. Maroon 5) / Monsta X

* Girls' Generation-TTS: Twinkle, Holler, Only U, PARTY

* BTS: Forever Young, Fire, Save Me, Cypher PT. 3: KILLER, Dope

* Closing ceremony
Last edited by Zaeleus on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

How did the idols look in rl?
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="199251" data-time="1470157167">
How did the idols look in rl?
</blockquote>

Short, haha. But really, the girls are all pretty, and the guys all look cool; you can't deny them that. Of course, they're all dressed nicely with make up and all, and stage lighting gives them that celebrity aura.

It's certainly an interesting experience meeting an idol though, especially if you've only ever seen them in photos and videos. For me, going to a concert and sitting afar is like, "Oh, that's neat. I'm seeing them live." Being front row only several feet away from them like I was with I.O.I definitely excites a more awestruck moment, particularly given just how close they are. No digital recording and display can beat that. When it comes to high-touch/handshake/meet and greet events, the first thing that hits me, in the case of APink earlier this year and TWICE at this event, is the scent of their perfume. It sounds weird, but when you're right next to them, it's hard to comprehend that you're not only in the same vicinity but also at the same level, to the point where you can make contact. This is something that's impossible to experience by watching them through media alone.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Some notable songs released in July 2016 (playlist).<ul class="bbc">[*]D.HOLIC - Color Me Rad
A hard hitting club banger. The rapper with the mask is a new member who will remain "hidden" for this promotional period.[*]Eric Nam - Can't Help Myself (Feat. Loco)
A fun pop track that kind of sounds like something that Maroon 5 would do. (Fun fact: The interview scenes are a parody of the reality-variety show We Got Married. Eric Nam is currently paired with MAMAMOO's Solar on the show.)[*]Fei - Fantasy
miss A's Fei's solo debut with a dreamy/chill song and great synth samples. (Fun fact: Fei has received heavy backlash from the public for supporting China's claim over the South China Sea, which is why the likes ratio is low.)[*]G-Friend - NAVILLERA
Another hit produce by Igi Yong Bae. (Fun fact: The Korean title 너 그리고 나 literally translates to "You and Me", yet the English title is mysteriously named after the fluttering action of a butterfly described in a classic poem.)[*]Heize - And July (Feat. DEAN, DJ Friz)
A jazzy electric track and second Heize x Dean collab (previously "Shut Up & Groove").[*]Jay Park & Ugly Duck - Party
A signature AOMG-style rap track with two rappers who match well together. The rap goes hard, as well as the drop. There was also a nice callback to "MOMMAE". (Fun fact: Jay Park provides the English translations for videos on his channel. Upon release, he didn't translate Ugly Duck's lines, claiming he had no idea what Ugly Duck was saying and instead just complemented him on his looks. AndUp later translated the lyrics.)[*]JUNIEL - Pisces
JUNIEL's first release after leaving FNC. A relaxing mid-tempo track to add to your night time playlist. (Fun fact: JUNIEL is a hardcore fan of Girls' Generation's Taeyeon.)[*]Stellar - Crying
This is that old school Brave Sound à la "Dripping Tears" and "Is It Poppin'". (Fun fact: Min Hee, who was driving the jeep in the video, lost control and wrecked the vehicle during the music video shoot. No one was injured. / The crowdfunding campaign for this song is still ongoing for the next week.)[*]Wonder Girls - Why So Lonely
Wonder Girls returns this summer with a fantastic reggae pop song.[/list]
Last edited by Zaeleus on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I'm really jealous, Zae.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

[quote="Ap2000"]
I'm really jealous, Zae.
[/quote]

I avoided saying anything about this, because all I could do was express my jealousy. These events look like they're a lot of fun.
Image Hey
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I haven't listened to FT Island in years but "Take Me Now" does not disappoint.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

YG Ent. debuted their newest group Black Pink with Boombayah and it's pretty much 2NE1.5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwmSjveL3Lc

Group has potential, but I'm not digging this song much.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

They also released "Whistle", which has the better hook and some simple, sparse verses. They definitely seem to have been molded to fill the 2NE1 void.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Seems like I'm gonna have the same love-hate relationship with this group as I did with 2NE1. Great.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote="Ap2000"]
YG Ent. debuted their newest group Black Pink with Boombayah and it's pretty much 2NE1.5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwmSjveL3Lc
[/quote]

Eh, the song isn't terrible, but I think I've become disillusioned with this fake badass image in Kpop. Why imitate 2NE1 with a new group when you could've just kept 2NE1 in the first place? I say this as someone who could never get into 2NE1 and thought they were overrated as hell.

CL 2.0 with the blonde hair stands out in a good way though.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

These girls are younger and fit better into the typical model of standard attractiveness in Korea.

CL is focusing on her solo career, Minzy is gone, Bom/Dara aren't super popular outside of 2ne1 and Bom is still being affected by her scandal. So they're starting anew.

YGE will fuck it up, though. They always seems to let down their female artists. And these girls did take four years to debut.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote="Anderei"]
These girls are younger and fit better into the typical model of standard attractiveness in Korea.

CL is focusing on her solo career, Minzy is gone, Bom/Dara aren't super popular outside of 2ne1 and Bom is still being affected by her scandal. So they're starting anew.

YGE will fuck it up, though. They always seems to let down their female artists. And these girls did take four years to debut.
[/quote]

That's all fine; I'm just saying they shouldn't have done such a direct imitation of 2NE1 unless they wanted to keep 2NE1 going in the first place. It's just an obvious imitation, which makes it lesser than the original group to me.

Also, the fact that these girls are so young and fresh-faced contributes to me laughing at their hard-ass image even more. It's unconvincing.

Either way, the song isn't bad, so I don't care either way. I'm just throwing out my 2 cents.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Yeah, but people in Korea won't see it that way. This is a new 2ne1 without all the problems the old one has.

It matters even less because most people can't name the people in most groups even if they know who the group is. It's seen as a very immature thing to be THAT into idols once you're past your teen years. As long as they like the sound and are backed by a big company people will eat it up.
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Good to see SPICA still alive; they did a short 360 VR "cupcapella" of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger". Harmonious as ever.

They plan to release a new digital single on August 25.

Edit 2016-08-23: SPICA has been on a roll this week. Here's them doing a K-pop girl group mashup.
Last edited by Zaeleus on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaeleus
ANGERME

Post by Zaeleus »

Amazon picked up THE iDOLM@STER.KR for its first Korean original series. This is a live-action drama based on the Japanese game of the same name. It is set for a worldwide release early 2017.

The auditions for the cast have been ongoing for the past several months and was finalized yesterday with the release of Real Girls Project's "Dream".<ul class="bbc">[*]Lee Ye Eun (이예은)[*]Lee Soo Ji (이수지) (aka Halla, former THE ARK)[*]Teramoto Yukika (ja: 寺本來可)[*]Kwon Ha Seo (권하서)[*]Hanabyeol (하나별)[*]Lee Ji Won (이지원)[*]Sori (소리) (CocoSori)[*]Cheon Jae In (천재인) (aka Jane, former THE ARK)[*]Heo Young Joo (허영주)[*]Mint (민트) (former TINY-G)[/list]For the previous team missions, two teams released "Dream" (Team A) and "One for All" (Team B). Notable contestants in the final round included Coco (코코) (CocoSori), Kang Ye Seul (강예슬) (Wings), and Jin Na Young (진나영) (Wings).
Last edited by Zaeleus on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Zaeleus"]
Good to see SPICA still alive; they did a short 360 VR "cupcapella" of Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" and "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger". Harmonious as ever.

They plan to release a new digital single on August 25.

Edit 2016-08-23: SPICA has been on a roll this week. Here's them doing a K-pop girl group mashup.
[/quote]

Spica are criminally underrated.

Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

A member named YooA of a relatively new girl group (they debuted last year) Oh My Girl apparently likes to tell lots of stories to the media and somehow no one in her company thought the netizens would catch on and call her out.

Their song Closer was amazing, but this group is a mess. There's YooA's stuff, one of their members was recently rediagnosed with anorexia, another has a series of health problems, and quite a few of them were so tired earlier this year that they almost fainted.