APB: All Points Bulletin to shut down

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

neshcom
ANGERME

APB: All Points Bulletin to shut down

Post by neshcom »

Cops vs crooks MMO APB is officially closing, as reported by our occasional drinking buddy, EDGE and confirmed by APB’s official announcement. It’s garnished by a broad swathe of bittersweet quotes from the development team. Here’s the initial announcement:
“APB has been a fantastic journey, but unfortunately that journey has come to a premature end. Today we are sad to announce that despite everyone’s best efforts to keep the service running; APB is coming to a close. It’s been a pleasure working on APB and with all its players. Together we were building an absolutely amazing game, and for that, we thank you. You guys are awesome!

From all of the Realtime World staff we thank you for your continued support.

The servers are still up, so join the party and say goodbye!

- Ben ‘APBMonkey’ Bateman (Community Officer)”

APB: All Points Bulletin was released on June 29, 2010 and reports coming in say the game will be shut down between today and tomorrow. The game was up for around 8 weeks and received heavily critical negative reviews. It has been reported that the game cost $100mUSD after two years of delays. Former APB staff spoke to the press about the development process, including a lack of management focus and desire to ignore negative comments from beta-testers, and the substandard quality of gameplay including poor driving and shooting mechanics.

APB ran on a notably different subscription service than most other MMOs. Players were to buy hours of game time that would be spent in the game's "action zones" ("social zones" did not count towards your subscription time). For the anticipated heavy users, players could also buy unlimited month-long blocks. There has been no recall to pull physical copies of the game off shelves and it is expected that no players will receive refunds.

APB really pulled off a number of new features to MMOs (hourly subscription, music streaming/syncing, heavy customization), but the core mechanics of the game were just not well executed. Missions could only be taken one at a time and were given to the player nearly arbitrarily, there was absolutely no narrative, cars handled horribly, the cities were terribly empty, cars could be "owned" by players currently on missions, there was no out-of-mission PvP, customization tools required unlocking, roads and paths were not engineered with travel in mind, missions were abhorrently repetitive, handling factions was so obtuse, and mission execution was centered on waiting around at specific spots in the zone.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Re: APB: All Points Bulletin to shut down

Post by Ap2000 »

This warrants it's own thread ?

It was already utter shit in the beta and shouldn't have been released in that state in the first place. lol
Last edited by Ap2000 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fpd
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by fpd »

While it was a god awful game when comparing it to wow... comparing it to other mmos it wasn't as bad as everyone makes it sound. You could still have a lot of fun, but if you were in for a grind fest get awesome gear and progress type game that wasn't it. It was certainly a "grind fest" but grinding really didn't give you much of anything other than the money to buy the best shit in the game on the AH. If you treated it like a Second Life that you could have your own music in and make really dumb looking cars and just screw around, it was actually pretty fun. I had ten dollars of the apb points that I never bought a month of time with since I never really played it after the first few weeks after release, but I'm sure there's no way for me to get my money back lol.

It was pretty rediculous to charge 50 bucks for the game in the release state, and shutting it down after two months with no warning* was bullshit.

*They kept posting oh we're still here and will be for a while and shit until all of a sudden they were just like GONE BAI. They had posted that a new patch was coming the day before the servers went down for fucks sake haha.

Here's a few of the things my friend made while we were screwing around. Sadly I don't have any screen shots from my stuff.

Wesley Snipes looking mother fucker with all custom tatoos

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/4452/bopm.jpg

Basketball mobile

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5279/bballer.jpg

Fish on a car

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4877/fishbed.jpg

LAZER DOG

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8771/lazerd.jpg

Bird watcher vehicle

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9420/birdvan.jpg

Considering you couldn't import any images into the game and you had to make everything with simple shapes, I was surprised how much my friend could make haha. Seriously, that Minnesota flag was impressive lol.

Being drunk helped this game be more fun too
Last edited by fpd on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

[quote name='Loop']The pleasures of unwilling flesh[/quote]
neshcom
ANGERME

Post by neshcom »

(talk about a bump!)

APB is being bought by K2. It is speculated that the game will turn free-to-play supported by micro-transactions.