Music Chat Spam

We listen to stuff outside of H!P? What?!?

Moderator: tsukinobyouin

aine
ANGERME

Re: Music Chat Spam

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="203443" data-time="1482149654">Yeah, but the latest fad is the one that's going to be trending on Twitter.</blockquote>
That's a complete misuse of the (already overused) adjective "cult" though.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="203443" data-time="1482149654">The demographic that loves Gundam and Time Bokan are not the Twitter demographic.</blockquote>
I don't think that's correct, Gundam and Time Bokan are such cultural icons that everyone from ages 10 to 70 would be aware of them (Time Bokan less so, but still). A new series and/or episode of either is a big deal that would cause ripples in the general public, and not just the strict anime-watching target audience.

For what it's worth, after checking again both Gundam and Yuri make appearance in the twitter trends site I linked, on November 7th and 3rd respectively. You be the judge which one did the NYT writer have in mind, I'm done advocating my uneducated opinion. :tongue:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="203443" data-time="1482149654">
Yeah, but the latest fad is the one that's going to be trending on Twitter.
</blockquote>

That's a complete misuse of the (already overused) adjective "cult" though.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="203443" data-time="1482149654">
The demographic that loves Gundam and Time Bokan are not the Twitter demographic.
</blockquote>

I don't think that's correct, Gundam and Time Bokan are such cultural icons that everyone from ages 10 to 70 would be aware of them (Time Bokan less so, but still). A new series and/or episode of either is a big deal that would cause ripples in the general public, and not just the strict anime-watching target audience.

For what it's worth, after checking again both Gundam and Yuri make appearance in the twitter trends site I linked, on November 7th and 3rd respectively. You be the judge which one did the NYT writer have in mind, I'm done advocating my uneducated opinion. :tongue:

[/quote]

Hey, I did my part. When I was in Japan I watched the first ep. of the then-newest Gundam series when it aired on Sunday morning, April 3, the day before I left.

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Daisuke Maki of EXILE, Verbal of M-Flo and DJ Daruma Seriously Injured In Car Accident.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/104507400.html

I hope they are okay! I only know Verbal. :(
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

From my experience, Kishidan's One night carnival is known by many of the BBS members and I just came across a very charming reendition of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogD3hP8e6TU
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Since I can't be in Japan to watch their New Year's programming and I don't want to watch American New Year's programming, I dug out my unopened copy of the 3-disc set of last year's Kohaku Uta Gassen and am watching that now. They had a lengthy anime segment where different groups sang different anime theme songs. Nogizaka46 performed a very nice number and it's the first time I've ever seen them. They're good!
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

A bit rambly, but: Listening to some old Final Fantasy V music and I ran across the piano lesson excerpt of Arabesque No. 1 (though no, I didn't remember that name). I primarily knew a version of it from an old astronomy segment on PBS, called Star Hustler / Star Gazer. I searched for the version that show used and for the first time heard it in full and it's pretty cool. It's from Tomita Isao who was apparently something of an electronic music pioneer. The instrumentation in that piece makes me think of what SNES games might have sounded like if their sound samples were much higher quality. I've ordered a couple of his CDs, but they haven't arrived yet.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Credit where it's due: Claude Debussy is the original composer of Arabesque No. 1.

In other news, I picked up my New Year's shows today from the Japanese video store: FNS Kayosai and Kohaku Uta Gassen. So I'm up to date.
Last edited by Madara on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I watched Disc 1 of FNS Kayosai, Part 1 (Dec. 7) without a tracklist, only to learn afterwards that I do indeed have a tracklist already printed out, but I had completely forgotten about it. So I have to watch it again. I didn't even know that Anri and Nana Mizuki, two singers I like a lot, were in it. Plus, I didn't know the difference between Nogizaka46 and Keyakizaka46, so I have to figure that out. I just assumed all "46" groups were the same. Lots of good stuff in it, but C-ute and MM come later in the show. Part 1, Disc 1 is itself 134 min.--two-and-a-quarter hours--long.
Last edited by Madara on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaleKakumei
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by GaleKakumei »

Idol Renaissance and lyrical school are covering "The Cut" by Base Ball Bear. It is going to be released Feb. 14.
It is such a perfect collab, with the perfect song.
https://vimeo.com/200820301
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

I feel like I'm late to the party, but I've just recently been introduced to the mashup work of Neil Cicierega. Albums Mouth Sounds, Mouth Silence, and the new one Mouth Moods can be freely downloaded or listened to on YouTube. Some are just funny or strange combinations (Imagine + All Star, or Love Shack + Psycho soundtrack), but some I find myself listening to over and over, like The End or Wallspin.
GaleKakumei
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by GaleKakumei »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzU3dcHXlEw
The Cut - lyrical school and Idol Renaissance (Orig. Base Ball Bear)
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I know not too many people here follow them but Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku's Matsuno Rina has suddenly passed away. Apparently she was ill and suddenly got worse. She was taken to the hospital in the morning but didn't make it. Poor thing, she was only 18. :/
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I heard about that, and while I didn't follow them as much, it's still devastating. She died way too young.
Formerly Mizura
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

[quote="Anderei"]
I know not too many people here follow them but Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku's Matsuno Rina has suddenly passed away. Apparently she was ill and suddenly got worse. She was taken to the hospital in the morning but didn't make it. Poor thing, she was only 18. :/
[/quote]

I have been absolutely crushed about this since last night.  She was staying  home resting from events and got worse and suddenly rushed to the hospital, where she was confirmed dead on arrival.  I can't stop thinking about her friends and family and the other girls....
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Bryan Adams looks really old nowadays (this interview is already 1,5 years old):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2iEopAHNvk

I love the guy.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Does anyone know what Rina Matsuno died of? My friend Josh has been absolutely devastated by this. She was his favorite and he'd met her in Japan.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="205043" data-time="1486819521">
Does anyone know what Rina Matsuno died of? My friend Josh has been absolutely devastated by this. She was his favorite and he'd met her in Japan.</blockquote>

I think it was announced it was a heart problem but I'm not sure.
Formerly Mizura
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

The rumors are saying it was fatal arrhythmia. There's been no announcement.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Sometimes you come across a song and immediately love it.
On my never-ending quest for more Initial D music (and other fitting 90s music) to listen to while playing Rocket League, Titanfall 2 and similar "gotta go fast" games, I came across m.o.v.e. - Rage your dream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoFSQeOAYz4

I definitely need to get this duo's discography asap.
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

The season two ending theme of My Hero Academia caught me ear and now Little Glee Monster is my new jam. They are obscenely talented.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

A good friend has gotten me to listen to music again lately, and reminded me of the type of music that I actually enjoy for the music, rather than the people (idols) singing it. As such, my new favorite group is Disturbed. I also like Three Days Grace, although I'm more spotty with their songs whereas there's only one Disturbed song I dislike.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I found this really long compilation of 90's idols and their music. It's interesting to see the gradual change from typical 80s type idols to the ones we're more familiar with today (H!P makes a big presence in this complication naturally). 

I also realized I love early 90s idol music. xD For some reason a lot of what I liked actually came out in the 90s and not in the 80s like I thought. 
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

After years of living in almost completely out of the public eye, ex-Judy And Mary guitarist TAKUYA has become a Periscope addict.  :lol: He'll go on for hours, just shooting the shit with fans. He has posted several clips from recording and practice sessions with his band The Cloud Collectors, and I've seen a couple of him apparently discussion how how plays guitar and composes. It's fascinating. This is the kind of stuff that makes me sad I don't understand Japanese. 

His Periscope (and Twitter) handle is @takuya54it.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I don't know where else to post this, but does anybody have a good resource for 80s and 90s Japanese pop like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bNITQR4Uso?
Or anything besides H!P, really.
Messaging via PM is fine too, if you like me...
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

In case anyone cares, i just thought I'd share this YouTube playlist I've been keeping up for a long time. Might be the longest I've kept up with a playlist in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDdznxwUkVlMw2sOjckqqwHHUZluuxMWu

Basically the rules are that it has to be an Asian, female (or mixed), pop artist and there has to be dancing in the video.
I keep everything from the last year and beyond that I keep (a) the top two most viewed videos from each artist and (b) any song that was in the top 10 (or was on an album in the top 10) of the charts in their respective countries. This was my attempt to not make it too long, but still keep the most notable songs and have some variety.

ANYWAY all that to say I've worked really hard on this so I thought I'd share xD Although I did make it for my own listening, mostly.

I'm still working on building up the older songs but the most recent ones are kept pretty up-to-date so... enjoy =)
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

[quote="WonderBuono"]
In case anyone cares, i just thought I'd share this YouTube playlist I've been keeping up for a long time. Might be the longest I've kept up with a playlist in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDdznxwUkVlMw2sOjckqqwHHUZluuxMWu

Basically the rules are that it has to be an Asian, female (or mixed), pop artist and there has to be dancing in the video.
I keep everything from the last year and beyond that I keep (a) the top two most viewed videos from each artist and (b) any song that was in the top 10 (or was on an album in the top 10) of the charts in their respective countries. This was my attempt to not make it too long, but still keep the most notable songs and have some variety.

ANYWAY all that to say I've worked really hard on this so I thought I'd share xD Although I did make it for my own listening, mostly.

I'm still working on building up the older songs but the most recent ones are kept pretty up-to-date so... enjoy =)
[/quote]

It's a good playlist. I recognized a lot of the J-Pop stuff and a bit of the K-Pop stuff. I had no idea you were also a fan of Zenbu Kimi no Sei da and BiSH as well. The older songs section definitely needs more work as there's only Morning Musume there, but there are a lot of decent J-Pop groups from the early 2000s out there.

I created my own playlistas well, although its for music I like so it contains a lot of random stuff. Most of it Japanese, some of it video game OST, and other random things I've liked. Yours is definitely a lot better organized than mine.
Formerly Mizura
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

68th Kouhaku lineup is out and it's just as unimaginative and unsurprising as always. ;/

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Only group I'm happy about is Little Glee Monster. Other than that the rest of the show can suck an egg.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I'm surprised they even got an invite. I guess they wanted another girl group but didn't want to invite any of the others.
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

So Shiina Ringo's new album Reimport Vol. 2 is fantastic. It's another album of her covering songs she wrote for other artists, but it feels like a cohesive album. She has dipped her toes into the big-band genre more than once during her career, but she jumps in with both feet on this, and it's really goddamned good. If you like her classic stuff from back in the day, you will like this.

Now how about an album of new material, Shiina?