Asia in the news

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

aine
ANGERME

Re: Asia in the news

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="192416" data-time="1446109193">Korean comfort women are back in the news as a new statue is unveiled in Seoul, just in time for the Japanese Prime Minister's visit.</blockquote>
Do you think this will cause Shinzo Abe much discomfort during his visit? [tinytext]trollface.jpg[/tinytext]

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
maryshiin
Kenshuusei

Post by maryshiin »

^it would be nice if it did :p 
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

China bars Miss Canada from Miss World contest. She's Chinese and a follower of Falun Gong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/27/world/asia/miss-world-contestant-barred-from-final-in-china-over-human-rights-advocacy.html?ref=todayspaper

Whose idea was it to let China host this pageant?   :headscratch:
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Shigeru Mizuki, a pioneering manga artist, dies at 93:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/arts/design/shigeru-mizuki-influential-japanese-cartoonist-dies-at-93.html?ref=todayspaper

He's most famous for creating "GeGeGe no Kitaro," but has also gained fame for a 4-volume series of historical manga, [font=Times New Roman, serif;font-size:12pt]Showa: A History of Japan,[/font] covering Japan's history from 1926-1989, with a special emphasis on the war years. Mizuki served in the war and lost his left arm.

Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

More on Korean comfort women from WWII:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/19/world/asia/south-korea-comfort-women-park-yu-ha.html?ref=todayspaper

This time, a female Korean scholar has written a book downplaying Japan's role in coercing Korean women for the "comfort stations" set up for Japanese soldiers and emphasizing Korean collaborators' roles in luring Korean women into these positions. The scholar has been widely attacked in Korea. As usual, read the comments for other angles to the story.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Hopefully this will last longer than the last deal:
Japan and South Korea agree on WW2 'comfort women' deal
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35188135
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I've been reading a lot of things on this topic lately, and it's crazy interesting to get a much more intimate look at such an ugly time in human history. I hope it's not too easily forgotten, and I hope the statue in front of the Japanese embassy stays there.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="showraniy"]
I hope the statue in front of the Japanese embassy stays there.
[/quote]

I don't see why they put it up in the first place.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Bitterness, from what I could gather, but I think it stands for a little more than that in terms of being a tribute to the women's suffering and torture that seems to be little talked about in the overall narrative of country-hatred-aggression. People talk about comfort women in a very general, glossed-over sense that doesn't do any justice to the real faces of the victims or the horrors those women endured, and I like to think of it as giving a face to the whole thing.

I can't really figure out how to put that more clearly, so I hope it makes sense.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Apparently, five people connected to a Hong Kong publisher that puts out books critical of Mainland China's ruling elite have "disappeared" and are believed to have been detained in China, although there's not confirmation of that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/world/asia/mighty-current-media-hong-kong-lee-bo.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
The recent disappearance of five men tied to a publisher of provocative books about <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/inte ... ne=nyt-geo' title="More news and information about China.">China</a>’s top leaders has alarmed many people in this semiautonomous city, some who fear that the historic agreement guaranteeing the former British colony its separate government and legal system may have been dealt a severe blow.

</blockquote>

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Japan takes no shit from no one

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">Perhaps cracking down on fictional sexual violence makes many people feel that at least something is being done. However, while we are busy debating the human rights of fictional characters, nothing is being done to protect the human rights of actual, living women.</blockquote>
I'm proud of you Glorious Nippon for remaining the rare voice of reason in the world folding itself up over who is more offended by everything they can think of.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/0 ... yo-police/" title="External link">Female idol Mayu Tomita in critical condition after stabbing during fan event</a>

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">A female idol was in critical condition after being viciously stabbed during an event for apparently refusing a gift from a reported fan in Koganei, western Tokyo, police said Sunday.

Mayu Tomita, 20, has yet to regain consciousness after being stabbed nearly two dozen times in the neck and chest on Saturday.

Tomohiro Iwazaki, 27, was arrested after witnesses said he attacked Tomita with a knife during an event at around 5 p.m. Saturday. The suspect admitted attacking her, the police said.

Tomita may have been a victim of stalking. The Metropolitan Police Department said the idol told them earlier this month that a man named Iwazaki had been persistently sending her messages via her blog and Twitter account.

(...)
</blockquote>

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ck/.102390" title="External link">ANN article</a>, <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36352495" title="External link">BBC article</a>

Fuck. :facepalm:
Last edited by aine on Mon May 23, 2016 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Yeesh, that poor girl... :/

I feel like this is the logical conclusion to fan delusions of closeness with celebrities, especially idols who are marketed as more approachable girl-next-door types. I hope the crazy fan gets jail time at the very least, and I hope the poor girl makes a full recovery.

What a whack job of a person to do that to someone else though.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I heard about that. I hope she's okay and not completely traumatized because of this.
Formerly Mizura
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<div><a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.konbini.com/en/lifestyle/ani ... taki-died/" title="External link">Animator Behind Spirited Away And Akira, Makiko Futaki Has Passed Away</a></div>
<div> </div>
<div>Seasoned Studio Ghibli animator Makiko Futaki passed away on Friday (May 13) while being treated for an unspecified illness, reports suggest. She was 58 and had a private funeral.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>For over three decades Futaki served as the animator for an incredible list of unforgettable animations – working alongside the iconic Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>She brought to life the characters of Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Akira and My Neighbour Totoro to name just a few from her illustrious career.</div>
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

That bitch Park never should have been put into office.
Holy fuck do I hate her.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Wow, I'd never heard of any of that stuff--or even Park Geun-hye--before that piece, but that's crazy stuff.

Strangely, I still think she sounds like progress compared to past South Korean presidents, so hopefully the country continues where she left off with an even better president. I do feel sorry for her on a personal level though, because it seems she's allowed her life to be utterly ruined by her white-knuckled grip on the psychic abilities of the Choi family.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

Several 100.000 people are demonstrating against Park now:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20161113_04/
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

Japan in the news today! So Space World, an amusement park, bought and froze 5000 already dead fish in their skating rink entitled "Freezing Port." Other than those 5000 fish, there were also large photographs frozen in the ice (for instance, that whale thing). I think it was a pretty cool idea. If they had had some way to make the ice clear and more visible, despite the skate marks, it would have been even cooler.

But, some Japanese equivalent to PETA became outraged, as well as people on social media, and after a very fruitful two weeks it was taken down. They will hold a religious ceremony and reuse the fish as fertilizer. Any thoughts? Mine are obvious, as the fish were already dead, purchased from a fish market. They were probably already planning to reuse them like this when the attraction ended, since they were kept frozen. There wasn't anything wrong with it.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="202661" data-time="1480352507">Mine are obvious, as the fish were already dead, purchased from a fish market.</blockquote>
You could pretty much justify any usage of the fish with that, even selling them to necrophiliac fishfuckers. lol

I don't really have an opinion on it.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Eh, it's wasteful of what could've been food, but I've no ethical stance one way or the other otherwise. I'm more bothered that the fish are sticking out of the ice, to get run over by ice skates and send fish chunks all other the place, lol.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="202664" data-time="1480359241">I'm more bothered that the fish are sticking out of the ice, to get run over by ice skates and send fish chunks all other the place, lol.</blockquote>
In the video you see they're all fully enclosed in ice.
But I was confused at first too (and it is quite a clickbait picture).
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="202664" data-time="1480359241">wasteful of what could've been food</blockquote>That's the only aspect that really bothered me about this too, but considering the massive amounts of food wasted every day anyway 5000 fish is a fraction of a drop in the bucket.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="202665" data-time="1480361553"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="202664" data-time="1480359241">I'm more bothered that the fish are sticking out of the ice, to get run over by ice skates and send fish chunks all other the place, lol.</blockquote>In the video you see they're all fully enclosed in ice.
But I was confused at first too (and it is quite a clickbait picture).</blockquote>Modern journalism, everyone!

(picture unrelated)

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="Ap2000"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="202661" data-time="1480352507">
Mine are obvious, as the fish were already dead, purchased from a fish market.
</blockquote>

You could pretty much justify any usage of the fish with that, even selling them to necrophiliac fishfuckers. lol[/quote]

This is true! But I meant it for this justification, you're the one that brought up necrophiliac fishfuckers. Interesting, no? :tongue: (Totally a joke)
Last edited by MejraThea on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I saw this on the news at work today. They conveniently forgot to mention that the fish were already dead, or I didn't hear it.

Part of me thinks it's kinda cool but another part thinks it's kinda gross to be skating on dead fish so idk.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="202667" data-time="1480376457">This is true! But I meant it for this justification, you're the one that brought up necrophiliac fishfuckers. Interesting, no? :tongue: (Totally a joke)</blockquote>
I've been around the interwebs, you know.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="202674" data-time="1480406440"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="202667" data-time="1480376457">This is true! But I meant it for this justification, you're the one that brought up necrophiliac fishfuckers. Interesting, no? :tongue: (Totally a joke)</blockquote>
I've been around the interwebs, you know.</blockquote>
You know you've been around the interwebs for too long when you actually remember seeing pictures of necrophiliac fishfuckers. :ph34r:

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="202675" data-time="1480412704">
You know you've been around the interwebs for too long when you actually remember seeing pictures of necrophiliac fishfuckers. :ph34r:
</blockquote>

It was an animated gif for me.  :f5:
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

Oh my god you're serious?  :confused: I never knew nor do I wish to really know, lol.
Last edited by MejraThea on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.