Any decent anime?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

aine
ANGERME

Re: Any decent anime?

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Al Kusanagi" data-cid="200135" data-time="1473343190">I want to say the Delta soundtrack still hasn't been released yet. Maybe one or two singles are out.</blockquote>
It has been released though. The single with Ikenai Borderline has been out since May.
Last edited by aine on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I watched Your name/Kimi no na ha yeseterday.
I never before cried through the complete second half of a film.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I've been keeping my film and anime blog going during all this time and my latest piece covers three anime theatrical hits from 2021 that were based on long-running TV franchises, the latest Pokemon, Doraemon and Pretty Cure movies:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/202 ... #more-9872

And a general link to my blog:
https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I've been reading “Anime Supremacy,” a novel about women in the anime industry by Mizuki Tsujimura, published in 2014 with an English translation coming out in 2017. I’d never heard of it until I noticed it on the shelf at Kinokuniya Books last week and began thumbing through it and immediately realized it’s a must-read. I’m about halfway through it and it’s filled with insider details on the tough decisions involved in conceiving, making, marketing and promoting a successful anime TV series. If you’re looking for a critique of the industry and its practices you won’t find that here. But if you love anime and enjoy reading about how it’s made, then you might want to check it out. I’m fascinated by it and taking a lot of notes on it for further research.

Has anyone here read it?

I’m unable to find much info about the author, Tsujimura, in English. She writes mystery novels and books for children. If she ever worked in the anime industry before writing this book, there’s no indication of it. I’d really like to know how she learned all these details. She wrote the screenplay for one of the Doraemon anime features (2019), but that was five years after this book was published and that seems to be her only anime credit. One of her books was recently adapted for anime and this book will soon see a live-action film version.
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

Madara wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:45 am I've been reading “Anime Supremacy,” a novel about women in the anime industry by Mizuki Tsujimura, published in 2014 with an English translation coming out in 2017. I’d never heard of it until I noticed it on the shelf at Kinokuniya Books last week and began thumbing through it and immediately realized it’s a must-read. I’m about halfway through it and it’s filled with insider details on the tough decisions involved in conceiving, making, marketing and promoting a successful anime TV series. If you’re looking for a critique of the industry and its practices you won’t find that here. But if you love anime and enjoy reading about how it’s made, then you might want to check it out. I’m fascinated by it and taking a lot of notes on it for further research.

Has anyone here read it?

I’m unable to find much info about the author, Tsujimura, in English. She writes mystery novels and books for children. If she ever worked in the anime industry before writing this book, there’s no indication of it. I’d really like to know how she learned all these details. She wrote the screenplay for one of the Doraemon anime features (2019), but that was five years after this book was published and that seems to be her only anime credit. One of her books was recently adapted for anime and this book will soon see a live-action film version.
When you can't find information in English, my trick is to look them up on the Japanese version of Wikipedia (using the kanji) and then run it through translate -- not perfect, but you can usually get some clues on where to look next. Her Japanese Wiki page is quiet extensive.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%BE%BB ... 1%E6%9C%88

Interestingly enough, even with that more in-depth article including extensive credits for films, short stories, and novels, she really has only one animation credit for Doraemon like you found -- so I wonder how she was able to glean all that juicy insider information?
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Thanks for the suggestion, Vikitty. I'll try that next time.

To update this topic, I should point out that I finally looked in the back of the book to see how many pages I had left to go and I found the acknowledgements which indicate that she had no background in the anime industry but instead interviewed numerous animation personnel at Toei, Production IG and several other anime studios. She evidently conducted a lot of research and it certainly shows. I still have about a hundred pages to go, but I'm loving every page of it. What slows me down is that I stop to take notes every time I find a quote I want to use or some topic for further research. I've written more pages of notes on this book than any other in recent memory--and I write a lot of notes when I read.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I've taken the usual discovered-Jpop-song-through-anime road in reverse and found Spy x Family through the opening theme, "Mixed Nuts" by Official HIGE DANdism that I mentioned in the Music forum. If you're looking for some fun, light entertainment -- which is mostly what I want now as it seems TV for the last five years or so has been dominated by intense or violent content -- this is it. It's written to be enjoyable for every age group, so you can watch it with your kids if you have them.