Any decent anime?

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

neshcom
ANGERME

Re: Any decent anime?

Post by neshcom »

Daily Live of Highschool Boys is pretty funny. I just found out it's on Hulu, so I can finally watch it. It looks like it's mostly skits like Nichijou.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

The newest Pokémon movie played on Cartoon Network yesterday: Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened.

It's set in Manhattan!

They build something called Pokémon Hills right in the middle of Central Park:

Cilan, the Pokémon "connoisseur," finds a new friend:

There's even a shot of Times Square:
...but with Japanese lettering on the signs!

Last edited by Madara on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I caught up with Chihayafuru manga and my favorite subplot, the ロマンティック one of course, has been in between A and B for the longest time until the breaking point of shoujo manga triangle-dom has been reached - the first guy has confessed, and it's not the one I wanted to be with her, and I'm pissed as fuck because it's the guy that was not there for her, was not the one who always had her back, spent majority of series away not interacting with her, ect ect IN OTHER WORDS, IT'S TYPICAL SHOUJO MANGA BULLSHIT in a series that has had a lack of shoujo manga bullshit up to this point. :facepalm: Would it kill a fucking mangaka to make the official pairing the one that makes the most sense?
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I haven't watched Pokemon in forever. But I saw a newer episode the other day. Whoever does the voice of Brock now, it's horrible. He sounds like a 40 year old man who isn't even trying to sound like a young adult. I mean. I could do a better job then what he's doing and I'm a girl.

This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
I haven't watched Pokemon in forever. But I saw a newer episode the other day. Whoever does the voice of Brock now, it's horrible. He sounds like a 40 year old man who isn't even trying to sound like a young adult. I mean. I could do a better job then what he's doing and I'm a girl.
[/quote]

It can't be that much newer. Brock hasn't been on the show in years. The Brock counterpart now is Cilan, the guy with the vest and bowtie in one of the pix I posted a couple posts up. But they infamously changed the English voice cast for all the characters back in 2006, when Brock was still on the show, so maybe you saw one of those episodes. That change angered a lot of fans (including me). I actually knew some of the original voice cast actors. My daughter and I once interviewed Veronica Taylor (Ash Ketchum) over the phone and later got to meet her at various anime conventions. I signed a copy of my book for her. 
Last edited by Madara on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

I felt like reading cute love stories yesterday, so I decided to find some shoujo manga, as I can usually find one cute story about ~the first kiss ~holding hands ~saying "I like you" for the first time to give me cavities.

And I couldn't. :| I mean, it's all contrived feeling now. From chapter one you can tell what path you're going to go down. There's always going to be the "friend that secretly likes the love interest that will betray the heroine but befriend her after a period of time", the "ex-girlfriend that bests the heroine in every aspect", the "love triangle with the obvious ending" or the variant "love triangle that lasts entire series with last minute resolution", the "misunderstanding that almost destroys relationship/causes angst for the next 15 chapters".... it gets tiresome. If the guy is a "bad boy", he will almost certainly have some sort of ~bad past~ that made him that way...just boring contrived writing.

I read many rage worthy ones, but the one that pissed me off the most (and I should have known better) was written by Aihara Miki. She wrote Hot Gimmick, another comic that pissed me off because it was an exercise in "Main love interest abuses MC constantly and she gives up everything for him" sort of stories. But I didn't notice who it was by until after I started reading it, and her artwork is attractive so naturally I clicked on it, and it was a josei title, so I expected...well, some milder versions of the typical shoujo tropes. And noooope. It starts off well enough. The MC has a good job, she's good at her job, she's turning 27 and laments that women are seen as hags if they're not married/kids at that age while men are still seen as young and have their whole lives ahead of them. She's portrayed as a "modern, western influenced woman". I thought, "Oh wow, nice art and an assertive MC. Maybe this will be interesting!" LOLOLOL Ohhh Petit, you fool.

The entire "conflict" stems from her being put in an arranged marriage with a Buddhist monk, which she wants to reject, but the guy is very persistent, and she slept with him once and that was totally wrong and reason for to feel bad. But since she doesn't have a place to stay, she has to go live in the temple with him. And he got jealous of her having male friends, so he locked her in a room in the back of their temple that no one could hear her scream from to "give her time to reflect on what she's done" (Note - he tells her this and makes her do this several times throughout the story, and I think I only read about 10 chapters). And he guilt trips her over the one time they slept together, so they should be together because lord knows if you fuck someone you're stuck with them for all eternity. He stalks her at her job, usually tries to do something ~romantic~ that's tinged with him being abusive and possessive.

The most infuriating thing was the MC constantly said she had a dream/goal in her life but that glorious cock of the monk, gods that cock,  I mean, that fucking cock. She would flat out say she hated him but the sex was amazeballs so she wants to stay with him. The overall message was "Yes, you can think you want to further your career and live life as you want, but what really makes a woman happy is living as a meek submissive wife to a demanding husband."

The most WTF one was one I don't remember the author or title of because it was so late, but I swear, the author combined everything ~edgy~ that she could think of in one title, and it made no sense whatsoever, but I kept reading because it was so bad and I wanted to see how much worse it could get. My bar hit a new low, you see, and I wanted to see how low it could go. But basically...[spoiler2] this girl kisses a boy when she's 12, her parents freak the fuck out and act like they're having sex in public, boy is a little crazy so he and girl try to kill themselves by jumping off the roof, they survive with nary a scratch, Mom is still freaked that MC tried to kill herself, so she slits her wrists in front of MC and then makes this weird "Choose your parents always" pact in the hospital while the boy is revealed to have a twin brother who has twincest inclinations (he visits brother in hospital and basically starts making out with him on the hospital bed).

Time skip and the girl is 16, spending the night fucking her BF and her parents don't give a shit. (lolwut) The boy moves to her school. She gets ~feelings~ and is conflicted between the boy and her BF. Her best friend is secretly in love with her. Her best friend sleeps with the boy because they can "pretend each other is the MC". The twin moves in to the school shortly thereafter, and does black magic voodoo shit to try and kill the MC. Best friend confesses to MC, is rejected, then pushes MC off stairs. BF breaks fall, ends up in hospital and out of story. Time passes with MC being angsty and stupid (she's the dumbest MC I've ever seen) and she wants her friend back so she goes to the roof and interrupts the twin and best friend performing a voodoo rite to cause her bad luck or some shit to make out with the best friend because of some ~friendship being eternal~ reason. Meanwhile, the boy has really been overseeing all of this in a kind of "brooding/orchestrating" sense, like he's waiting for all of it to play out so he can take MC away.

It wasn't complete, so I don't know how it ends, but I assume death (twins killing twins) and angst will play  a part in the ~epic~ ending. [/spoiler2]
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Petit, just a heads up that all Aihara Miki stories are exactly the same. It doesn't matter what back stories she gives, the MC is always a whiny submissive chick abused by an asshole bad boy. ALWAYS.

But if you really want to read the worst of what shoujo has to offer, read ANYTHING by Shinjo Mayu. Especially Haou Airen, but anything will do.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

Ohhh god Shinjo Mayu. What in the hell did you direct me to....Show!? :rofl: It's so bad, especially the art, how is she so successful/prolific?! At least Aihara's art is nice to look at!

I found a cute little series called Momoiro Heaven. The MC is a popular erotic author (writing under a penname) to support her younger brother and mother who is in the hospital. She's a little dense at times, but she's not the infuriatingly stupidly dense typical shoujo heroine. The romantic lead is the playboy type though, and he embodies all that comes with that trope, but fortunately the MC never gets bogged down with the angsty drama that normally goes with that.
Tsuki
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Tsuki »

I've been reading a Devil and Her Love Song (Akuma to Love Song) and I think I've been enjoying it but I am not quite sure. The plot is kind of all over the place but the characters are memorable and the art is very pretty. The main character though, I am just not quite sure how I feel about her, her motivations for being the way she is seem compelling but then they don't necessarily make sense. I don't know! It's pretty so I just keep reading it.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

[quote="Tsuki"]
It's pretty so I just keep reading it.
[/quote]

I can't tell you how many times I have done this. :rofl:
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Petit Melon" data-cid="165697" data-time="1382655967">
Ohhh god Shinjo Mayu. What in the hell did you direct me to....Show!? :rofl: It's so bad, especially the art, how is she so successful/prolific?! At least Aihara's art is nice to look at!</blockquote>

In my defense, her crap kept showing up in my suggested reads and I got bored enough to try (with Haou Airen obviously). I'm so glad I just stopped and read spoilers for the rest 'cause it's just baaaad. As in love interest is afraid always-has-to-be-virginal MC will leave him so he locks her in his room and rapes her every day.

And, y'know, she feels bad that it's not consensual because sex = love, and damn it you will accept all this D or else you're an ungrateful girlfriend rejecting your generous boyfriend's love!

I have an obsession with bad shoujo, but Shinjo's is just too bad. Oh and again, everybody is in love with MC. Female writers can be so vain, holy hell.
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

Oh no, I wasn't trying to be all ~mean~ to you about it, I was just shocked that it was so bad. But the art wasn't even good, so that means her long career and super long series must mean she was popular, and I'm just in awe of how!? I think I've seen her stuff around, but the art looked bad so I never bothered clicking. :lol: I'm glad you suffered for the better of all of us. ;D

I feel you about female writers being vain. It almost feels like a lot of them write "wish fulfillment" into their stories, which would kind of explain the abundance of abusive love interests, considering the number of females that have the "rape" fantasy. I couldn't write that...my perfect man is someone who will do the dishes without complaint after I cook. :<

edit - Akuma to Love Song is exactly like Tsuki described, yet I also like it.
Last edited by Melon on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tsuki
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Tsuki »

Oh good, I wasn't sure if I just wasn't understanding it, or what! It really is just all over the place, isn't it? Everyone loves Maria but then they hate her and Maria brings out the worst in everyone but it somehow makes it the best and god, I don't even know. I just keep reading it hoping it'll eventually make more sense and in the mean time PRETTY SHINY SHOUJO ART.

k, ramble time: I've started to read (somehow this thread is turning into all manga, but that's okay!) Hanakimi, I actually own the Japanese manga but my understanding of it was always kind of broken so I've just been borrowing copies from the state library system. I love being a librarian sometimes, so many resources available. I always loved how gender bendy and positive Nakajo was about sex roles and sexual orientation. Especially considering the time period she had really sympathetic characters and didn't turn queer characters into one-note okama types and she was even pretty multicultural too. And not to be hipster about it all, but I was a fan long before it became popular in the US and when it was only just catching on in Japan, but I'm glad I can finally enjoy it fully in English, the translation has been pretty (almost surprisingly) good.

Also, Adult Swim has announced Space Dandy, a Bones show actually premiering in the US before Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoZ2udQkr3c

eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

We just finished Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.  I think ...it might be...the...best. show. ever.

We watched the original series years ago when it first came out so I never really felt like picking up the updated one.  Now that Attack on Titans is over for a while, I had this itch to see something in that style and we got sucked into it.  I deeply appreciated the fact that it was an action show with equally strong and compelling male and female characters.  The complexity of the universe, the intricacy of the plot lines, the humor, it was all so amazing.  SO AMAZING.  

Uggghh why do we get such few great shows among the ocean of moe-blob or shojo abusive-relationship-fantasy shows?!
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

Moe blob sells.

But yeah, FMA is a masterpiece, and just flawlessly executed in every way possible. I'm still kind of examining it (I think?) as a wonder of storytelling just because Hiromu Arakawa achieved an entirely solid story from beginning to end in a way I've never seen other serialized manga do. I wonder if she had it all planned before she even began; it's just woven together too damn well. And of course, major major props to Bones for making its adaptation a solid anime too.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

My review of the newest Pokemon movie is up on the Otaku USA website:

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/SearchAudience/News1/f6739af0-1153-4b7f-b1b8-f7a710d718e0.aspx
Melon
ANGERME

Post by Melon »

In the continous search for good shoujo....

I read one that was classfied as "shounen", but in honesty, it's shoujo without the shoujo BS. It's called Horimiya. It's like KareKano or Switch Girl, in that you have two protagonists that have "secret" images after school that completely differ from their school counterparts. It's refreshing because the couple grows organically. All the normal shoujo bullshit (you know what it is)? NOPE. There's no contrived melodrama. Everyone feels like a normal teenager, with the normal worries, but -gasp- they actually talk about things, so any drama that we do have is solved in the same chapter. Holyyyyy shit NUCLEAR BOMBA! The artwork is beautiful and simple, and I especially love the expressions on the characters. I am in love, this is one of the best romance manga I have ever read.

The next one I read was called Mairuvich. This is on watch, as of now I am not recommending it. This is why it is on watch:

1. It starts off good enough. A bullied girl decides to change and becomes cute thanks to the help of her neighbor. She makes her first friend, the "hot" guy of the school, and they get along well and she's actually not bullied by it at all, she doesn't have feelings of romance for him, and he's a good friend that helps her out and gives her good advice.

2. But then... she goes to a goukan and meets a guy there, who seems nice enough at first. But he quickly gets jealous and tells her to break off friendship with hot guy. So she obsesses over it, and after her friend that did the makeover tells her to do it, she cuts him out of her life. (Stupid shoujo bullshit!!!!!) Later, she meets his friends, and he has a girl friend that's extremely touchy-feely. She's upset about it, and of course he's this ass like "Oh it's okay because she's only my friend". After stupid drama, they break up (yes!!) and get back together (fuck!!).

Her BF gets a job so he can do something nice for her birthday, which happens to fall on Valentine's Day. While at his job, there is a girl that's cute and develops a crush on him and decides to steal him away. Meanwhile, the heroine decides she will be strong and wait patiently to see him on her birthday but doesn't communicate this to him. Plus, her neighbor friend has a job and she cut off her other friend, so she has no one to ask for advice and basically set herself up for failure. It's obvious we're going to have a horrible breakup.

And that is why I am cautiously watching the manga. For one, the heroine never had a boyfriend before or really any social skills, so this could all be chalked up to not knowing any better and the mangaka is providing a learning experience for her. Therefore, I am going to see how this issue resolves and what, if anything, she learns from it. If she does, I may recommend it to others, but as of now, I would not read this because it is the usual shoujo cliches.
Last edited by Melon on Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I have THE anime of the year suggestion:

Attack on Titan.

I'm halfway through it and I love it, plenty of gore, PTSD.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I just came across it, so I don't know if it's actually good.
Upotte, an anime where schoolgirls are personifications of weapons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upotte!!

But maybe I just find it a funny premise because I've played a lot of first-person shooters.

NekoKaiSai
ANGERME

Post by NekoKaiSai »

I finished watching Ao no Exorcist/Blue Exorcist about a week ago, there's some gore, but nowhere near to the extent of Attack on Titan. :rofl:  It's about twin brothers who are half-demons and were adopted by a pastor/priest, but they're Satan's sons.  I recommend it!
<p class="bbc_center">Image
<p class="bbc_center" style="text-align:left;">B!P workflow spreadsheet         Tutorial for Translators/Preppers
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

The manga is awesome!! And still going, I think. I've fallen off the anime/manga bandwagon hard, but Ao no Exorcist was one of my favorites beforehand.

I like seinen, so manga-wise for similar tastes I like Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, and Gangsta. More on those when I'm not on a phone. :lol:
Last edited by showraniy on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

STOP THE PRESSES

Mushishi, arguably one of the best anime of all time, is getting a one hour special in January 2014:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10274
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-20/mushishi-manga-gets-1-hour-anime-special-in-january

<marquee> :omgwtf: </marquee> (just imagine the marquee)
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

Does anyone have a good shojo romance suggestion that I could find on Crunchy roll?  Thanks :)

Also, 'Chihayafuru' is wicked amazing, it's about karuta and I don't know how but they make it all interesting.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

[quote="Ap2000"]
STOP THE PRESSES

Mushishi, arguably one of the best anime of all time, is getting a one hour special in January 2014:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10274
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-11-20/mushishi-manga-gets-1-hour-anime-special-in-january

<marquee> :omgwtf: </marquee> (just imagine the marquee)
[/quote]

Stop them even more !

After eight years, Mushishi is getting a second season:
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10384
Same studio, same director, same composer.

2014 is the year of Mushishi.
2014 is the year anime is being saved from the claws of moeshit.
Last edited by Ap2000 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

[quote="pandapanda"]
Does anyone have a good shojo romance suggestion that I could find on Crunchy roll?  Thanks :)

Also, 'Chihayafuru' is wicked amazing, it's about karuta and I don't know how but they make it all interesting.
[/quote]

I keep hearing about Chihayafuru so maybe I'll give it a shot.

As for romance, the only ones I like are comedy (My Little Monster) but "Say I love You" feels like a classic romance. 
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I like "Say I Love You"s manga, but the first episode of the anime had me feeling like it was... corny? They srs bsns'd everything up and made it all look really dramatic when the manga feels a lot more down to earth and funny to me. So I think, if you haven't read the manga, you might like it a tad more, eri.

I really like simple, slice of life manga these days so that's what I've been into more than the stuff in this thread at the moment. If anyone else likes that sort of thing, I have some suggestions and would love some myself.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

Slice of life anime/manga is my favorite genre, but to be honest, the only one I really remember (and more than totally recommend) is Azumanga Daioh. It's wacko, of course, but it's hilarious and has its more simpler moments.
Last edited by arcobaleno on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I've been recommended Azumanga Daioh lots of times and have seen lots of weird clips from the show before. I might check it out soon; I just tend to stick with realistic manga (or gritty fantasy), so Azumanga kept giving me weird vibes.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

Yeah, Azumanga is one of the weirdest shows out there, so if you're into more realistic manga, it's probably not the #1 recommendation for you, then.
pandapanda
ANGERME

Post by pandapanda »

Arco, you might like Ouran Highschool Host Club.  It's highly entertaining, and subtitled on YouTube.

Also started watching The Daughter of Twenty Faces  :veins:  :confused:  :cryalot:  :cryalot:
It made me feel feels.