Tsunku had cancer and vocal cords were removed.

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

yuzuriha
つんく♂

Re: Tsunku had cancer and vocal cords were removed.

Post by yuzuriha »

^It absolutely is a hard job though.  So yeah, I am glad they caught it again quickly and wish him nothing but the best of health in the future.  I hope he continues to take care of himself.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Can anyone who understands Japanese tell us what's being said in this video? There are some who claim that it's announcing that Tsunku has undergone surgery to have his vocal chords completely removed, and will not be able to speak ever again. Others are saying that they are simply saying that Tsunku had the same procedure done and will be similarly unable to speak for a period of time while he recovers. That's a rather wide disparity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4_nlzef5PQ
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I couldn't spend a lot of time on it because I am at work, but the title of the video actually says Tsunku's vocal chords have been removed.  But he sounds like he is trying to remain positive based on the letter he wrote, and he intends to still try and participate in television shows and things like that.
Kaori • Risako 

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Holy fuck.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

This fucking sucks.

Here's in case anyone felt like having a go at his letter:
tsunku_letter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I'm trying to comprehend what he's going through -- and will go through moving forward in his life. He's still a young man for a musician and music producer, and he just lost the use of his primary instrument for the rest of his life. I'm not a professional musician, or even a particularly good one, but if I lost the use of one of my hands to the point where I could no longer play guitar or drums, I'd be devastated. Fucking hell.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Here's a post form <a class="bbc_url" href="http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?/ ... 43683">H!O member Obsidian</a>:

"People are basing a lot off of the understanding of one word in what's said here and the rest of the context doesn't make it sound like he can't speak but that it's difficult, basically what @Greyface said. This is not an official statement, there's a little talk on 2ch about it but again that talk like @Greyface says people aren't really talking about it being definite - he can't speak at all or will never sing etc. Most importantly there's no Japanese news stories about this there's even an article about this event which even mentions Tsunku's statement at the event, it doesn't talk about him never singing again or having his vocal cords completely removed. These are rumours based on taking this one unofficial comment a little out of context as far as I can see.

<div style="font-size:12px;">
That doesn't however mean it's not true or won't be the case in future because from the very start it was always going to be difficult for him to have an outcome where he could sing again or not have to have drastic surgery. I've always thought that was the most likely outcome because it's the safest and most likely to mean he will survive and be around to be a father watch his kids grow up, which is the most important thing."
</div>

So who knows? The fact that there have been no media reports or official announcements does seem to suggest it might be a misunderstanding at some level. Anybody can title a video anything they want, so we can't take that as any sort of proof. 
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

It doesn't mean he can't make music if it's true, but considering that he sings most of the demos for the songs and wants them to emulate how he emphasizes certain things in the song, it could definitely mean a change in their style.
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="183296" data-time="1421791431">Here's a post form H!O member Obsidian:

"People are basing a lot off of the understanding of one word in what's said here and the rest of the context doesn't make it sound like he can't speak but that it's difficult, basically what @Greyface said. This is not an official statement, there's a little talk on 2ch about it but again that talk like @Greyface says people aren't really talking about it being definite - he can't speak at all or will never sing etc. Most importantly there's no Japanese news stories about this there's even an article about this event which even mentions Tsunku's statement at the event, it doesn't talk about him never singing again or having his vocal cords completely removed. These are rumours based on taking this one unofficial comment a little out of context as far as I can see.

That doesn't however mean it's not true or won't be the case in future because from the very start it was always going to be difficult for him to have an outcome where he could sing again or not have to have drastic surgery. I've always thought that was the most likely outcome because it's the safest and most likely to mean he will survive and be around to be a father watch his kids grow up, which is the most important thing."

So who knows? The fact that there have been no media reports or official announcements does seem to suggest it might be a misunderstanding at some level. Anybody can title a video anything they want, so we can't take that as any sort of proof.</blockquote>
Yeah, to clarify, nothing is said about Tsunku's health in the letter. The statement comes from the politician who says something like, "As everybody knows, Tsunku has had <this procedure>".
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

If it's not an official statement, then who was his letter addressed to? And what was this TV clip from? Because it looked a lot like a press conference kind of thing.

I'm not gonna play the guessing game until we see a full translation, but the gist of it that yuzu gave us does sound a lot like the usual Japanese downplaying of things when it's in fact pretty serious.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aine" data-cid="183302" data-time="1421795710">
If it's not an official statement, then who was his letter addressed to? And what was this TV clip from? Because it looked a lot like a press conference kind of thing.

I'm not gonna play the guessing game until we see a full translation, but the gist of it that yuzu gave us does sound a lot like the usual Japanese downplaying of things when it's in fact pretty serious.</blockquote>
He was congratulating that politician (on mobile right now, but you can Google his name from the video description). I'm not familiar with Japanese politics at all, but it looked like an event for the politician's behalf.
Last edited by Zoe on Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

Oh wow, this is incredibly sad. I really hope that it's just temporary because even though he will able to still make music it will still effect a lot in his life...
rikako♡eripon♡airi
aisasami
こぶしファクトリー

Post by aisasami »

The letter starts nothing about Tsunku's condition. Just talks about politics and congratulating Matsuda. Tsunku also says he will support Matsuda because He represents Tsunku's values.

Also, I feel that Matsuda is restating what we already know. He mentions that Tsunku got surgery and right can't do public appearance because his voice is still recovering. I think of he lost his voice, the tabloids, morning rumor mill shows, and/or him would say something about it.
Last edited by aisasami on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="aisasami"]
The letter starts nothing about Tsunku's condition. Just talks about politics and congratulating Matsuda. Tsunku also says he will support Matsuda because He represents Tsunku's values.

Also, I feel that Matsuda is restating what we already know. He mentions that Tsunku got surgery and right can't do public appearance because his voice is still recovering. I think of he lost his voice, the tabloids, morning rumor mill shows, and/or him would say something about it.
[/quote]

Yeah, the more people who can actually read the letter and understand the video chime in, this is looking like just a 2chan rumor that took off. I'm sorry for even bringing up now.
aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Zoe" data-cid="183305" data-time="1421807358">He was congratulating that politician (on mobile right now, but you can Google his name from the video description). I'm not familiar with Japanese politics at all, but it looked like an event for the politician's behalf.</blockquote><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="aisasami" data-cid="183307" data-time="1421811368">The letter starts nothing about Tsunku's condition. Just talks about politics and congratulating Matsuda. Tsunku also says he will support Matsuda because He represents Tsunku's values.

Also, I feel that Matsuda is restating what we already know. He mentions that Tsunku got surgery and right can't do public appearance because his voice is still recovering. I think of he lost his voice, the tabloids, morning rumor mill shows, and/or him would say something about it.</blockquote>
Ah, thanks for clarifying guys. I'm glad it seems to have been an understanding. That video coupled with a sensationalist title and lack of understanding what was being said made it look serious and a perfect rumour bait.

#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
aisasami
こぶしファクトリー

Post by aisasami »

I had a chance to revisit the video after work. Matsuda did say that Tsunku had his vocal cords surgically removed ("tekishuu shimatta" 1:46). But, instead of saying that he has voice, Matsuda says that he doesn't have a good voice right now ("Ima, nakanaka ii koe ga desanai..." 1:52). Based on what I heard in 1:52, I am leaning towards the "he can talk but not like he used to" side. I alo believe that there isn't enough information in the press conference to describe Tsunku's vocal condition accurately. And I don't know if Tsunku is ready to tell the world that information right now. I could be wrong though.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Yeah, like I said I was working so I just saw the title of the video and kind of half listened in the background and then completely forgot to revisit after I got home.  I also misheard the part about participating in TV shows because the power of suggestion is a wonderful thing.  Aisasami is right, he was talking about politics the whole time and I just heard what I wanted to hear.  The good news is even though Matsuda did say he had his vocal cords removed I have heard stories of people regaining at least the ability to speak afterwards.
Kaori • Risako 

smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

I just hope with his vocal chord removed, the cancer won't come back and won't spread to other areas.

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

So it's true, then? His singing days are effectively over?
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

Anything tampering with the throat can damage singing ability though, right? Look what happened to Julie Andrews :(

Though, anything is okay if he is cancer free. He has a family now and can still write the music for H!P. There are many things to give him a meaningful life beyond a singing voice.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Well yeah, obviously. But that doesn't change the fact that he's lost something integral to his very being. 
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Yeah, I mean as a singer myself this really hit me hard.  I cannot even imagine what I would do or how I would feel if I was ever told I couldn't sing again. :\ 
Kaori • Risako 

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

You know what they say about someone who loses something, they make everything else work that much harder. I hope that happens for him. He'll take what he lost and prove that he can continue to make amazing music. At least that is my hope. 
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I hope so to, and he's such a hard worker that I can't imagine any other scenario. It's entirely possible that a forced change of habits brings out a side of him that we've not yet seen, too.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Some articles about Tsunku's condition:

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3

I don't know specifics, but it looks like he's recovered enough to produce the opening ceremony for Kinki University (his alma mater). He'll also be attending the opening ceremony.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Someone asked him on twitter if he's doing better and it seems like he responded that he is and has started kickboxing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/tsunkuboy/status/568042898513649664

Either way, it looks like he is doing much better. I'm glad. The idea of him not getting better was heartbreaking since he's got three young children.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Kickboxing is hardcore so he must be feeling better!  That's great!
Kaori • Risako 

Hotaru
つばきファクトリー

Post by Hotaru »

Huh, yeah I guess Tsunku has recently taken up kick boxing, lol. Well, in any case, that must mean he is recovering pretty well.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="yuzu" data-cid="185103" data-time="1424444627">
Kickboxing is hardcore so he must be feeling better!  That's great!
</blockquote>

Tsunku is just THAT fucking manly.

index.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

OH NO it's true! Tokyo Girls' Update just posted on their Facebook that Tsunku has had his vocal cords removed, and he lost his voice. :(
Last edited by WonderBuono on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU