[2015.04.01] °C-ute - The Middle Management ~Joshi Chuukan Kanrishoku~ /Gamusha LIFE/Tsugi no Kado wo Magare

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

MejraThea
ANGERME

Re: [2015.04.01] °C-ute - The Middle Management ~Joshi Chuukan Kanrishoku~ /Gamusha LIFE/Tsugi no Kado wo Magare

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="ayaya chan" data-cid="185910" data-time="1425913395">
Tsugi no Kado is getting the Taiki Bansei treatment. They released the drum recording for the song on Music+. Next week is strings recording. I hope they keep doing it. It's more interesting than most making of we usually get.
</blockquote>

Here's part 2. I love those recording segments, but that doesn't change the fact I find this song rather boring. :hahaha:

[/quote]

This one is the most interesting to me for this song, so far. Strings! My comrades.
JPope
ANGERME

Re: [2015.04.01] °C-ute - The Middle Management ~Joshi Chuukan Kanrishoku~ /Gamusha LIFE/Tsugi no Kado wo Magare

Post by JPope »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="ayaya chan" data-cid="185910" data-time="1425913395">
Tsugi no Kado is getting the Taiki Bansei treatment. They released the drum recording for the song on Music+. Next week is strings recording. I hope they keep doing it. It's more interesting than most making of we usually get.
</blockquote>

Here's part 2. I love those recording segments, but that doesn't change the fact I find this song rather boring. :hahaha:

[/quote]

I love how cramped the drum room was! Brings back memories of basement recordings. I think I actually had more room in my basement studio at my old house.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
I was watching the music video for Middle Management and ALL I could see were with silly clear plastic straps on Chisato's shoes when she was dancing. xD And that's all I could see. 
[/quote]

It's actually kind of a great idea considering the numerous times I've seen kpop girl group members accidentally kick off one of their shoes in the middle of dancing LOL.

I think if you preferred cute C-ute, you probably dislike their current musical direction. I on the other hand have always kind of hated cutesy idol groups, so I love their new mature style.  I think this single is probably the best they'll ever have, from a musical perspective.  Every song is completely different but they still flow together naturally, all the members get a chance to shine, the outfits are all stylish, etc, etc.  Nice balance of idol style with some more mainstream sounds.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

I'm the exact same in my tastes for idol music. I hate the cutesy stuff and much, much prefer the more mature direction C-ute has been taking. I'm good with H!P having cutesy groups because everyone else seems to like that, but I won't listen to it so I need my mature groups to keep me entertained. We've been in a bit of limbo with that since MM's platinum era bit the dust, so I'd be more than happy to have C-ute take over. Please do it, UFP, pleeaaase.
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

Yeah, that's really why I've been losing interest in them lately. They're fantastic and talented performers and great girls, but for me, personally, I love my idols to be cute and sugary, along with the music, style, etc. While I really enjoy more mature images and songs, for me, that's more akin to mainstream artists than idols, and while I know there are a LOT of different types of idols, my favorite kind are your stereotypical cute kind since they just make me all full of rainbows and happiness, haha. So, for me, at least, your theory is spot on, Farrah.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I thinks it's funny you guys are losing interest in them, because I'm the opposite, and I'm gaining more interest in them.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Saya"]
I thinks it's funny you guys are losing interest in them, because I'm the opposite, and I'm gaining more interest in them.
[/quote]

Same here. 
Mukuro
ANGERME

Post by Mukuro »

^agreed. Cute is my second favorite group right now.

Tsugi is probably my favorite so far because of the violins. Middle Managment is okay but I'm not used to Mai as a lead.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Here's the full Promotion Edit for Tsugi no Kado wo Magare, for those interested~
Here's The Middle Management
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

MV preview for Gamusha LIFE

I quite like it... this song may be my favorite on the single (haven't decided yet).

They wrote Erika, Kanna, and Megumi's initials on the wall behind them. I thought that was a nice touch. :)
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I love all the songs on this single, woah.

And either they filmed Tsugi no Kado and Gamusha a couple months after Middle Management, or they filmed it last based on Chissa's hair length.
Last edited by momoirosaya on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

The preview of Middle Management and Tsugi no Kado PVs was quite promising (though not impressive) and I was so looking forward to it, but when I watched the PVs I was underwhelmed. The close-up and dance-shots don't do justice to the girl, they seem to cut out the good parts and add the inferior shots to the PVs. Maybe I was expecting too much....

I also don't like how to camera focus on Chisato in Middle Management danceshot. I'm not too interested in boyish girl and even more uniterested when they let her wear those boyish clothes when the other girls wear sexy office lady clothes, then let her be a dance center. She sticks out like a sore thumb. Her clothes and make-up in Tsugi no Kado look better though.
Last edited by smtmissin on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="186200" data-time="1426462089">I love how cramped the drum room was! Brings back memories of basement recordings. I think I actually had more room in my basement studio at my old house.</blockquote>
I wish I had memories of basement recordings. :cryalot:

Watching those recording videos confuses me. It seems they go to certain lengths and expenses to hire competent musicians and actual instrument players. Before that, I generally assumed that it was all synthesized.

What I wonder is how what we see here compared to other idol outfits. Is this where all of UF's money, so desperately needed in other departments (MVs!), goes? If yes, do they get a reasonable return on this investment?

Further, assuming that having real musicians record their song is an exception rather than a rule in the idol business, why do they overproduce the songs to the point that it's indistinguishable? I would love it if my idol songs had a more organic feel to them, including possible imperfections, and generally a human touch to them.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
Haru
ANGERME

Post by Haru »

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]
[/quote]

Who told Chisato that look worked for her? She looks like a dumpy old lady. :confused:
[11:13:35 PM] Liam: DO NOT LET JAPANESE IDOLS GET IN THE WAY OF THE *AMERICAN* DREAM
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="aine"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="186200" data-time="1426462089">
I love how cramped the drum room was! Brings back memories of basement recordings. I think I actually had more room in my basement studio at my old house.
</blockquote>

I wish I had memories of basement recordings. :cryalot:

Watching those recording videos confuses me. It seems they go to certain lengths and expenses to hire competent musicians and actual instrument players. Before that, I generally assumed that it was all synthesized.

What I wonder is how what we see here compared to other idol outfits. Is this where all of UF's money, so desperately needed in other departments (MVs!), goes? If yes, do they get a reasonable return on this investment?

Further, assuming that having real musicians record their song is an exception rather than a rule in the idol business, why do they overproduce the songs to the point that it's indistinguishable? I would love it if my idol songs had a more organic feel to them, including possible imperfections, and generally a human touch to them.

[/quote]

Well the two songs that have been shown on Music+ have both been produced by Takui, and not Tsunku.... Seems Takui favors instruments over electronic beats, and so his songs have gotten some amazing instrumentals and real work put into them.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]
Here's the full Promotion Edit for Tsugi no Kado wo Magare, for those interested~
[/quote]

[quote="WonderBuono"]
MV preview for Gamusha LIFE
[/quote]

I like Middle Management more now that the whole song is out. The lyrics make more sense, but I still think the intro was better than the melody that kicked in later. Gamusha Life is cute and I like that it pays homage to the past C-ute members even if I don't know who they are or care.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

A special Music+ (for me) episode this week. It's Chorus day with Maimi, Chisato and Airi. (Seriously they need to do more of these.) Watch it! 
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Banana
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Banana »

Watching that just makes me feel tired. It's kind of sad that they still manage their breathing rather poorly despite singing professionally for so long. Airi and Chisato are still really good singers for idols, but... yeah. 
Last edited by Banana on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

I'm far more annoyed by the constant flat notes LOL.  I feel like breathing technique is one of those things almost everyone struggles with because you pretty much have to work against your body's natural instincts.  Two years of opera training, four years of choir and I still sound like a fish on land gasping for air unless I'm totally concentrated on my breathing haha.  Hearing them stop in the middle of a word or phrase to breathe is incredibly nerve wracking though, I have to admit.
Last edited by Farrah on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Noa
ANGERME

Post by Noa »

So I watched the three MVs and my personal ranking is: Gamusha Life, Tsugi no Kado, The Middle Management. They were all good songs, and I enjoyed them but not of them stick in my head.
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
Hotaru
つばきファクトリー

Post by Hotaru »

[quote="Farrah"]
I'm far more annoyed by the constant flat notes LOL.  I feel like breathing technique is one of those things almost everyone struggles with because you pretty much have to work against your body's natural instincts.  Two years of opera training, four years of choir and I still sound like a fish on land gasping for air unless I'm totally concentrated on my breathing haha.  Hearing them stop in the middle of a word or phrase to breathe is incredibly nerve wracking though, I have to admit.
[/quote]

I'd have to agree with you. I don't have much signing experience, but it hurts my ears to hear flat notes after 10 years of playing instruments. The breathiness isn't so bad, it was Maimi cosistently being off key that killed me, lol.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
A special Music+ (for me) episode this week. It's Chorus day with Maimi, Chisato and Airi. (Seriously they need to do more of these.) Watch it! 
[/quote]

Wow, thanks so much for sharing that clip. I would love to see more like that for other groups. Maimi sounded really bad, and it makes me wonder how much studio magic goes into making her sound listenable. Chisato really impressed me in that clip, though it didn't sound like anyone managed that powerful "KU" sound the director/producer (?) wanted for the first syllable of the chorus.

And omg, listening to Airi record the harmonies was super amazing, I love love harmonies.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="showraniy"]
Wow, thanks so much for sharing that clip. I would love to see more like that for other groups. Maimi sounded really bad, and it makes me wonder how much studio magic goes into making her sound listenable. 

[/quote]

Auto-Tune is a double edged sword: it allows poor singers to sound passable on recordings, but at some point the poor singer has to sing live without the Auto-Tune. 
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I'm really looking forward to the background vocals recording on the next Music+.
Banana
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Banana »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="186461" data-time="1427167752"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="186458" data-time="1427161576">Wow, thanks so much for sharing that clip. I would love to see more like that for other groups. Maimi sounded really bad, and it makes me wonder how much studio magic goes into making her sound listenable.</blockquote>
Auto-Tune is a double edged sword: it allows poor singers to sound passable on recordings, but at some point the poor singer has to sing live without the Auto-Tune.</blockquote> 
They auto-tune their concerts, too. It's pretty annoying because it makes some fans think that some of the girls can sing when they can't. I've seen an article that said stuff like "only Airi and Chisato were good singers before, but now Maimi, Mai, and Saki are good singers, too!!" But if you listen to fan recordings or idol festival performances, Airi and Chisato hit their notes most of the time, but the other three go off pitch pretty frequently. There's a kenshuusei performance that keeps popping up as an example of a great performance when only one of the girls there was actually a stable singer.
Last edited by Banana on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

They can't use Auto-tune as forcefully during live events, though, because a major flaw would give the game away. They can really only hide subtle things in concerts.

It's kind of sad how far we've defined "good singer" down in the 14 years I've been following J-pop. 
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I think Banana is talking about the actual concert DVDs. They edit the audio for those.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Anderei"]
I think Banana is talking about the actual concert DVDs. They edit the audio for those.
[/quote]

Ah, I misunderstood that.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Greatest promo you're going to get for this single. C-ute have an English Challenge on Jpop Ranking. 

Watch it here.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.