The Met Ball--annual celeb-filled fashion spectacle

Your favorite spot for news, entertainment, video games, TV, movies, books, your mom, etc.

Moderator: Tsuki

Madara
ANGERME

The Met Ball--annual celeb-filled fashion spectacle

Post by Madara »

I wasn't sure where to put this, but a separate thread here seems like the best option.

For some reason, I find myself thoroughly fascinated--for the very first time--by the annual "Met Ball," a fashion gala for the Costume Institute held this past Monday at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. The theme this year was "China Through the Looking Glass" and they dressed up two floors of the museum for it. Celebs were everywhere and it was quite a mix of them: top actresses like Julianne Moore, Kate Hudson, Jennifer Lawrence, Reese Witherspoon, Anne Hathaway and Sarah Jessica Parker; pop stars like Beyonce, J-Lo, Rihanna, Madonna, Katy Perry; numerous designers; Chinese actresses Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, and Fan Bingbing; and male consorts like George Clooney, P. Diddy, and Kanye West.  All presided over by Anna Wintour, the grande dame editor of Vogue. I can only fantasize standing there in a tux off to the side, like a fly on the wall, nursing a drink and watching all these stars against a backdrop of Egyptian temples, Roman statues, and Renaissance paintings.

The women all look great and in the various pictures they seem to really be enjoying their own company. 

Here's one page with a lot of pix:

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/gallery/2015/may/05/celebrities-arrive-at-the-met-ball-2015-in-pictures

And a New York Times slide show:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2015/05/05/fashion/INSIDE-THE-MET-GALA.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-2&action=click&contentCollection=Fashion%20%26%20Style&region=Footer&configSection=article&isLoggedIn=true&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

And a New York Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/fashion/even-the-stars-at-the-met-gala-get-star-struck.html?ref=todayspaper

There's tons more coverage. Just google Met Ball 2015 and you're off...

eri
ANGERME

Re: The Met Ball--annual celeb-filled fashion spectacle

Post by eri »

I looovveee you for making a thread about this. I also usually dont care about these things but the Chinese celebrities and theme this year really grabbed my attention.

I am so curious about the Chinese public's attitude towards Fan Bing Bing because my friend told me she is considered totally plastic and slept her way to the top. It is a shame because she is SO beautiful, like jaw dropping beauty. Her outfit was one of my favorites as was Rhianna's yellow silk extravaganza.
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

So there are only women there?
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="eri"]
I looovveee you for making a thread about this. I also usually dont care about these things but the Chinese celebrities and theme this year really grabbed my attention.

I am so curious about the Chinese public's attitude towards Fan Bing Bing because my friend told me she is considered totally plastic and slept her way to the top. It is a shame because she is SO beautiful, like jaw dropping beauty. Her outfit was one of my favorites as was Rhianna's yellow silk extravaganza.
[/quote]

I have yet to see Fan Bing Bing in anything, even though I have three or four of her movies on my shelf (including THE SHINJUKU INCIDENT with Jackie Chan). She's been acting steadily since 2002 so she must have some qualifications. Here's a shot of her from the ball:

[quote="Ap2000"]
So there are only women there?
[/quote]

I did include a line about the evening's male consorts, including some very famous ones, in my top post, but forgive me if I'm not interested in what they wore. :tongue:
Last edited by Madara on Thu May 07, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Of the pix I've seen, the only attendees I found to be truly frightening were:

...the Olsen Twins!
Last edited by Madara on Thu May 07, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eri
ANGERME

Post by eri »

Hahahahahahahaha
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I went to see this exhibit. It's quite a spectacle and I loved all the film clips they showed on various screens throughout the space.

I did a blog entry on it.

I especially liked the Anna May Wong section:

There was even a 1931 color photo of her: