[2015.12.29] Morning Musume.'15 - Tsumetai Kaze to Kataomoi / ENDLESS SKY / One and Only

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Meikochi
ANGERME

Re: [2015.12.29] Morning Musume.'15 - Tsumetai Kaze to Kataomoi / ENDLESS SKY / One and Only

Post by Meikochi »

More beautiful than the "normal" version ; but I'm glad we got a somewhat happier version as the main a-side because this one is almost depressing.
Campy <3 !
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: [2015.12.29] Morning Musume.'15 - Tsumetai Kaze to Kataomoi / ENDLESS SKY / One and Only

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Kalle" data-cid="196246" data-time="1459547428">The vinyl version of the single just hit CDJapan~ Get it if you're interested!!</blockquote>The recent return of vinyl puzzles me. At this point even CDs feel too retro.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

That type B... so smooth. I wish they had built up the ending more, though. Hope they use it in a medley for a concert at some point... I think it could transition well into numerous songs.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

The violin in type B was beautiful, but reducing all the other instruments makes certain poor vocals stand out more.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

[quote="JoshuaJSlone"]
The recent return of vinyl puzzles me. At this point even CDs feel too retro.
[/quote]

Hipster movement maybe? Not sure how much it has influenced Japan though. Some people also swear that the sound quality is much better on vinyl than other media.

Why you'd need it for idol music is probably a personal decision though.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

[quote="DonJuan"]
Some people also swear that the sound quality is much better on vinyl than other media.
[/quote]

I read that as well and asked my father, who owns a lot of vinyl and CDs (rock), how he felt about it. He answered me, that, without a doubt, sound quality is better on CDs. So I guess it may have to do with "sentimental" attachement some people have to vinyl ?
Campy <3 !
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I like the Type B version better as well. The piano and Violin give the song more mysterious and melancholy sound which seems to fit it really well.
Formerly Mizura
JoshuaJSlone
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by JoshuaJSlone »

[quote="DonJuan"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JoshuaJSlone" data-cid="196270" data-time="1459606152">
<div>
The recent return of vinyl puzzles me. At this point even CDs feel too retro.
[/quote]

Hipster movement maybe? Not sure how much it has influenced Japan though. Some people also swear that the sound quality is much better on vinyl than other media.

Why you'd need it for idol music is probably a personal decision though.

</div>
</blockquote>

I've heard the sound quality thing too, but if that's the case someone is doing something wrong. Anyway, CDs themselves are plenty of decades old at this point--hoping for uber sound quality means more people should get on things like DVD (or better) based audio formats with support for greater frequency ranges, channels, etc. Analog seems an especially goofy choice for music that is so totally digitally produced to begin with now.

However, I can sort of understand it for idol music, actually--in that their business model hopes that the craziest fans are buying multiple editions anyway, so this is just a more interesting excuse as opposed to having Limited Edition G.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<div>I own the vinyl edition of Best 1, for no other reason than it's cool as fuck. I grew up collecting records, and had well over 1,500 when we decided to leave Michigan for California. I only kept about a dozen, and Best 1 was one of them.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>There is a difference in sound between digital recordings and old analog recordings. I can speak to this with some level of authority, having recorded bands in both completely analog and completely digital realms. There is a discernible "warmth" to analog due to the difference in the way the audio signal distorts when driven hard between the two processes. In the digital realm, over-drive distortion is harsh and very unpleasant, whereas -- assuming you do the correct things to control it -- analog overdrive is rich and pleasing to the ears. This isn't just a matter of taste, overloading your signal is pretty much the worst thing you can do in a digital recording, and while it's not necessarily a good thing in analog, it might be, and most rock, soul and disco recordings of the 60s, 70s, and 80s used some form of controlled over-drive to take advantage of the effect.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>OTOH, there is far greater "headroom" in digital. That is to say, since you can see the audio signal in digital, you can use compression and EQ to squeeze the greatest amount of "loudness" out of a recording by causing the signal to peak more often. and this is another reason digital sounds different from analog. To many ears, this is not always a good thing, as abusing this process decreases the overall dynamic range. It's mostly older ears that dislike this, as they grew up listening to music with grerater dynamic range and less in-your-face mastering. I count myself among that group.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Digital technology has advanced to the point where audio engineers can now sort of mimic the analog over-drive effect with plugins, and while it's not bad, it's also not quite the same. It is interesting that even in 2016, many music producers are trying to make their recordings sound like they were recorded on 2-inch tape, processed through a Fairchild compressor, and mastered to 1/2 tape. If they thought that digital was so much better than analog, it wouldn't be so common to try to copy the analog sound.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Regarding the experience of listening to vinyl, if you didn't grow up listening to the sound of the needle gliding across the vinyl -- with all of the attendant pops and hisses -- well, it's not something that can ever be fully explained to you. It has to have been experienced contemporaneously with vinyl being the state of the art. If you grew up with CDs and mp3s, the desire to own vinyl will forever be a mystery to you, and that's cool.</div>
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I found the full MV (not the Promotion Edit) of Tsumetai Kaze. Not much was really changed except there's an intro and a sad outro. I miss Riho.

https://youtu.be/ZPN5fGgQCkc
Formerly Mizura