MARCH MUSUME MADNESS

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

JPope
ANGERME

MARCH MUSUME MADNESS

Post by JPope »

BBSers. it's March, aka tournament time! Why let the NCAA basketball fans have all the fun? Instead of the same tired old "Hey guys, let's rank all of MM's singles!" thread, we're gonna have a fucking single elimination tournament to decide the MM-BBS Top Morning Musume Single. 

Each region will have multiple head-to-head match-ups, and it will work best if you vote in each of them. Singles have been seeded from 1 to 15 in each region by era

Singles 1 - 15 are in the East Region*
Singles 16-30 are in the West Region
Singles 31 - 45 are in the South Region
Singles 46-60 are in the North Region

East faces North, and West faces South in the Final Four.

*I actually swapped "Do It! Now" and "Koko ni Iruzee" because I wanted to. Let's face it, RR21, "The Peace" and "Do It! Now" all have a shot to win the whole damned thing, so having two of them eliminated by the Final Four would be silly. Number 1 seeds get a 1st Round bye and face the winner of the 8/9 match-up in the 2nd Round.

Speaking of seedings, I am the selection committee. I tried to keep my biases in check for the most part, but I know they reared their ugly head here and there. Seriously, though, no bitching about why one single was seeded above or below another. This shit happens in the NCAA tournament every year, and it's part of the charm! So enjoy the charm of your favorite single being seeded 14th!

A visual bracket is below -- click on it for a larger version. It makes it easy to see how the match-ups unfold. I'll update it after each round.

EDIT: In the event of a tie, the higher seed moves on. It's really the only logical way to do it.

The 1st Round will consist of four threads -- one for each region -- with eight match-ups each. The 2nd Round will have two threads with match-ups for two different regions. Rounds 3 - 7 will probably be single threads. Pick one song in each match-up using any criteria you like to decide. The song with the most votes after three days of voting celebrates moving on to the next round with Red Bull and molly! The loser runs home to cry in Tsunku's arms only to be horrified by the realization that he can not comfort it with spoken words. (Too soon?) The tournament ends when one song remains to bask in the weepy glory of <a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOu6bCDiZm4" title="External link">One Shining Moment</a> played in its honor.

The Bracket:

Last edited by JPope on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noa
ANGERME

Re: MARCH MUSUME MADNESS

Post by Noa »

I was really confused why my name was in this post and it took me a solid minute to understand.
ImageImage
<p style="text-align:center;">我最爱你。你是我的太阳。
al kusanagi
つんく♂

Post by al kusanagi »

Needs b-sides or album songs as Wild Cards. Dance Suru no Da would own this shit!
PSN: Aurin13
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sayumi R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Al Kusanagi"]
Needs b-sides or album songs as Wild Cards. Dance Suru no Da would own this shit!
[/quote]

I thought about doing that as play-in games to get to 64 (and specifically to get Dance Suru no Da into the field), but I wanted this to be about the overall single. Depending on the interest in this, I'd totally be up for crowd-sourcing a field of 64 songs -- album, b-side, whatever -- for another tournament.
Mukuro
ANGERME

Post by Mukuro »

I just learned what March madness was earlier today. This seems much more fun since its idol music and not basketball!
star
ANGERME

Post by star »

Today my APUSH teacher made every student in his classes fill out a March Madness bracket (we get points for whatever we get correct and the class with the most points at the end gets a party). I had absolutely no idea what I was doing then nor did I care. However, THIS! This I am excited for! Let the bloodbath battles begin!
<div>
</div>
<div style="text-align:center;"><a class="bbc_url" href="https://www.youtube.com/user/XxBLUExXxS ... YouTube</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://starxland.wordpress.com/">ST☆R「LAND」</a> | <a class="bbc_url" href="http://instagram.com/xbluexxxstarx">Instagram</a></div>
<div>
Catch the stars before they fall . . .
"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular."

</div>

aine
ANGERME

Post by aine »

Awesome! :thumbsup:

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Molly"]
I was really confused why my name was in this post and it took me a solid minute to understand.
[/quote]

:rofl:
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

It just occurred to me that tie scores are highly likely in some of these match-ups. I've updated the original post to note that in such an event, the higher seeded song moves forward. There's really no other way to do it. I know, it's kind of like I get two votes, but then I did all the fucking work here, so YAY ME!  :dancey:
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

I will provide sufficient amounts of Austrian Red Bull.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

This is such a good idea!!
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I haven't the slightest what march madness is but I understand the bracket so this sounds interesting.
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="195758" data-time="1458227906">
I haven't the slightest what march madness is but I understand the bracket so this sounds interesting.</blockquote>

It's college basketball season's Super Bowl basically. :P At least that's how I understand it.

This is pretty much the best thread idea ever, but that seeding stuff is confusing, and I'll have to come back to it when I'm not at work to figure it out.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

Thanks, Show!
Ap2000
つんく♂

Post by Ap2000 »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="195764" data-time="1458233895">This is pretty much the best thread idea ever, but that seeding stuff is confusing, and I'll have to come back to it when I'm not at work to figure it out.</blockquote>
I too don't understand it.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Ap2000" data-cid="195767" data-time="1458236066"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="195764" data-time="1458233895">
This is pretty much the best thread idea ever, but that seeding stuff is confusing, and I'll have to come back to it when I'm not at work to figure it out.</blockquote>I too don't understand it.</blockquote>
I'm not sure if I get it well either but anyway, this tournament is an excellent idea. And I'd totally be down for B-sides and albums tracks tournaments ! (I actually voted only based on the title tracks because otherwise it's too difficult for me haha).

And thank you showrainy for your explanation.
Last edited by Meikochi on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Campy <3 !
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="showraniy"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="195758" data-time="1458227906">
I haven't the slightest what march madness is but I understand the bracket so this sounds interesting.
</blockquote>

It's college basketball season's Super Bowl basically. :P At least that's how I understand it.

This is pretty much the best thread idea ever, but that seeding stuff is confusing, and I'll have to come back to it when I'm not at work to figure it out.

[/quote]

[quote="Ap2000"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="showraniy" data-cid="195764" data-time="1458233895">
</blockquote>

I too don't understand it.

[/quote]

I did the seeding myself, so there is a bias, although I did my best to give higher seeds to songs that I thought were more popular in general, regardless of my personal feelings. Beyond that, the tournament plays out exactly the same way the NCAA B-Ball tourney does: the highest seed faces the lowest seed in the first round, and none of the top four seeded songs can meet each other until the 3rd Round. 

I really glad people are in to this, because the old "rank the such-and-such" has gotten a bit stale. This format lends itself to a lot of other H!P rankings, too.
Hotaru
つばきファクトリー

Post by Hotaru »

Whoa this is so cool! I'm excited to see how this pans out.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Oh what fun. Should be interesting to see once everything dwindles down. I might have to start judging based on b-sides (or in some cases, the other A-sides.).
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

It'd be fun if we did this with the various other groups. Berryz, C-ute, and ANGERME probably have enough singles to fill out smaller brackets.
Formerly Mizura
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Mizura"]
It'd be fun if we did this with the various other groups. Berryz, C-ute, and ANGERME probably have enough singles to fill out smaller brackets.
[/quote]

Totally. I was also thinking of a four group tournament with Berryz, C-ute, S/Mileage and either Buono! or MKB.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

So most of the 1st Round matches seem to be decided. I doubt that there are many members who have not voted yet, although there is one who voted in the East and West Regions, but not the North and South. This has left us with one pending tie: the 4-13 match-up in the South, pitting 4. Kanashimi Twilight VS 13. Onna to Otoko no Lullaby Game. If you could cast a vote in that match-up, we can avoid the controversy of eliminating the lower seeded song in a region that overwhelmingly went for the lower seeds, lol!

I'll update the bracket and post the 2nd Round match-ups sometime tomorrow!
Last edited by JPope on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

2nd Round match-ups are posted!