They Were Eleven (Horizon of the East, Eternity of the West)

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

kitaoji
カントリー・ガールズ

They Were Eleven (Horizon of the East, Eternity of the West)

Post by kitaoji »

We heard about it in March, but at today's press conference they revealed more outfits, and the play's site is up and running.

Worth mentioning is the front poster page(s): here and the cast here.
And news articles here: Oricon and Dwango

Runs in Kyoto/Tokyo from June 11th through June 26th, doubled casting in West and East versions.

Wikipedia nicely describes this as a space opera manga and details are sparse.  

It also does not help that (a) the musical looks more like a seriessquish of both the original and the sequel; (b) there is no Truth/Reverse doubling of the cast, since this isn't a Suemitsu Ken'ichi directed play (he did Joan of Arc for Berryz/Smileage in 2013, and the Trump/Lilium/Specter series in 2014); (c) they dressed the girls across the two different versions in both the press conference and the web page; and (d) it's late at night and I have bureaucratese to write for work, this is not helping.

Anyway.  Cast list below. I went a bit liberal with the name translations.

*Tadatos (Tada)                    (W) Haruka           (E) Ayumi
*Frol                                      (W) Sakura           (E) Haruka
*King Mayan Baceska           (W) Masaki           (E) Mizuki
*Doricas Soldam (Fourth)     (W) Ayumi             (E) Sakura

Chuchu (Fourth's sister)       (W) Maria              (E) Miki
Ona                                       (W) Mizuki            (E) Maria

Red                                       (W) Kishimoto       (E) Erina
Tomano (Baceska's brother) (W) Ogata             (E) Masaki
*Mule (Glen Groff)                 (W) Yamagishi       (E) Akane

Lon (Fourth & Chuchu's uncle) (W) Iikubo          (E) Ogata
Atenai (academy instructor)      (W) Erina           (E) Iikubo
Count Aman (Baceska's ally)    (W) Miki             (E) Asakura
Duma (no idea about this one)  (W) Akane         (E) Ogata Risa  

Ombres -- Shiotsuki Shuu
Minister Papa -- Misa Noelle

Tada, Frol, Baceska, Fourth, and Mule are part of the original 11 cadets.  

Last edited by kitaoji on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milly
つばきファクトリー

Re: They Were Eleven (Horizon of the East, Eternity of the West)

Post by Milly »

I'm actually really really excited about this. I have a manga anthology 'Four Shojo Stories' which contains the original 'They were Eleven'. I never knew there was a sequel. I'm guessing it's a completely different story though with only a few characters returning.

The original 'They were Eleven' is a pretty solid Sci-fi story. You can watch the anime adaptation on Youtube if you search for it.

Especially looking forward to seeing Sakura and Haruka handle the role of Frol, who is a loudmouth, aggressive character, as opposed to Tada, who is a sensitive, sensible guy. Can't imagine Masaki as king Baceska, though.

I was curious about the story so I did a quick translate of the story that's on the web-site:

The young man Tada, who has telepathic power, and Frol, who has both genders and will have to choose one of them when s/he becomes an adult. After overcoming the troubles of the Space University entrance exam, the two become lovers.

However, after entering university, Tada, who's doing the psychic powers course, is very popular with the girls, which causes jealousy in Frol! From jealousy Frol exclaims she will not become a woman, which perplexes Tada. One day, Tada sees a vision of King Baceska of the land of the East, Aristoka Re. Seeing such a sad vision of one of his friends of the Entrance Exam, Tada is troubled. A letter arrives from Baceska, Tada and Frol travel to the land of King Baceska, the land of the East.

The two reunite with king Baceska.

However the joy of the reunion is short-lived... Because of some people's strategic maneuvers, the land of the east starts a war with its neighbour planet the land of the west.

What will happen to the friendship of the king of the east and Fourth, citizen of the west? [NOTE: Fourth was also a member of the group in the Entrance Exam]
What will be the future of these two planets? What is the goal of the Deuce empire, which is fanning the flames of the conflict? And, what will become of the love story between Tada and Frol...!?

West and East, to regain the friendship torn apart by the war of the two planets, and for their own future, the young men will stand up!

Last edited by Milly on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

The original manga is in my top ten out of about a thousand mangas I've ever read. I wish the sequel manga was scanlated into English. At least now I have an incentive to watch this musical, if only to know the plot (hopefully it'll follow the plot and someone will sub it). Normally I shy away from watching musicals & dramas performed by idols. The actings are often so bad I feel embarrassed watching it.
Last edited by smtmissin on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I've never heard of the manga before, but based off the synopsis, I need to check it out. This looks like it'll be a good play.
Formerly Mizura
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I've never heard of this, but I think Kudou playing the female in one of the versions is a mistake, it just gives me the heebie jeebies.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Why? Despite the persona, she's very obviously a girl. 

Anyway, I have nothing to contribute except the super awkward photos taken at some publicity event for the play. 
Spoiler: [+]
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

These are quite possibly the greatest photos of Sakura and Ogata in existence.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Mukuro
ANGERME

Post by Mukuro »

THATS Sakura?
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="Anderei"]
Why? Despite the persona, she's very obviously a girl. 
[/quote]

Oh, I know she is. But in the last two plays she's been a boy, I just got used to it. It is, as you said, her persona
Last edited by MejraThea on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Mukuro"]
THATS Sakura?
[/quote]

Poor baby girl that wig... Her faces looks...
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Well, she's not the only one who got shot in a very unflattering position. Miki, but even Ayumi and Masaki who usually look really good just look weird here.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

The poster, though...

Milly
つばきファクトリー

Post by Milly »

[quote="Thea"]
I've never heard of this, but I think Kudou playing the female in one of the versions is a mistake, it just gives me the heebie jeebies.
[/quote]

Frol isn't female, though. Frol comes from an alien race where the genitals develop later. Technically s/he has no gender atm (all smooth below). Despite the feminine appearance Frol had always intended to become a male and has character traits that are stereotypically seen as masculine. Only after meeting Tada s/he considers becoming female. I wouldn't say it's a typical female role.

If you're talking about the akward wigs, then I won't argue :XD:
Mugi
モーニング娘。

Post by Mugi »

Sakura looks so much like Ogawa Rena is that wig its scary.

Made by Haru!
kitaoji
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by kitaoji »

More follow-up links with press con video:

Madigi
JijiPress
Oricon

Some summary points:
  • It's been a long time since Duu played a feminine role - yes, the last one was Gogakuyuu in 2013.
  • Sakura finds her wig for Frol very fitting.
  • Maachan's two roles are a complete 360 I mean 180-degree turn from her past two (since the last two directors basically wrote for her, not the other way round).
  • arr, rivalry! Ayumi is determined to play a cooler Tada than Duu and an absolutely-better-than-Oda Fourth. (They're really playing up the Ayumi/Sakura rivalry this year.)
  • Likewise, Maria is aiming for an alluring Ona to rival Mizuki's playing, and keeping her cute side for Chuchu.
  • Mizuki finds Baceska's sense of responsibility equal to her responsibility as MM's leader, so she's going to play him as she treats herself.
  • This is Ogata's first time using standard Japanese. (John Bell speaks in Kansai-ben and apparently wrote the love letters to Miki in DVD Magazine 80)
  • Atenai's nickname is Athena - or the goddess of victory, so Haruna hopes for a successful show run.
  • It's been four years since Eripon has had an actual role - Prince Phi doesn't count  - so she's doing her best to catch up to the others. (Haruna had a role in 2013.)
  • Miki's super-cute Chuchu and the mature, dependable Count Aman are virtual opposites, so she's doing her best to play the two of them well.
  • Glen is a haughty character, so Akane is looking forward to exploit this as much as possible as she's the Baby of the group.

And: since Tada is telepathic, the press conference incorporated a fair number of illusions and magic displays.

My first reaction at that poster of Frol!Teddy was Ai-chan?!!! She's getting her Ai-chan on!  The eyes, the lipstick, the poses, even.  Now to see if Fourth!Teddy will be reminiscent of Ribbon no Kishi's Sapphire.

Also, Duu's a natural, but Akane makes a really cute boy there.  That said, Glen is actually a colonel in the Earth Federation and an instructor at the space academy, so I really have no idea what's going on.

They're not going to trot out Tsubaki Factory and I have no idea who the Kenshusei & the Engeki Joshi-bu girls' roles are, so everything is pretty much going to remain a mystery until Day 1.  
(Except for the plot.  Japanese wikipedia gave it all away, dammit.)

The colors red and green split up the two warring countries in this play - Baceska's Aritoska-Re and Fourth's Aritoska-Ra.  This completely blew my mind yesterday with the following:

West - Red = Aritosca-Re, Green = Aritosca-Ra
East - Green = Aritosca-Re, Red = Aritosca-Ra

So trying to keep track of the colors, and the doubling of the roles, and the two play versions is probably best left until we see a DVD release.

MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="Milly"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Thea" data-cid="196985" data-time="1461605349">
<div>
[/quote]

Frol isn't female, though. Frol comes from an alien race where the genitals develop later. Technically s/he has no gender atm (all smooth below). Despite the feminine appearance Frol had always intended to become a male and has character traits that are stereotypically seen as masculine. Only after meeting Tada s/he considers becoming female. I wouldn't say it's a typical female role.

If you're talking about the akward wigs, then I won't argue :XD:

</div>
</blockquote>

Mostly the wigs/images right now, haha. But that's an interesting spin, thanks.
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

[quote="kitaoji"]
[/quote]

I searched wiki and only found the plot for part 1. The musical is supposed to be about the sequel (part 2) right?

yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I'm excited for Duu in a feminine role.  

Sakura and Oharu look smug as fuck in those promo pics.

I'm not sure how excited I actually am about this play.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

Someone posted this on H!O  :rofl:  :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cg3kqQtU8AAH-u6.jpg

For those who didn't figure
Spoiler: [+]
it's Duu x Duu
Last edited by Meikochi on Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campy <3 !
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

Apparently I'm not the only one with the heebie jeebies, Kudou gets them too:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
最初は違和感の塊だったけど、ちょっとずつ馴染んできました

Although at first I felt a sense of malaise, I've grown used to it a little.
</blockquote>
kitaoji
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by kitaoji »

Yeah.  Based on the press con, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at least the first 30 minutes will consist of the Tada/Frol drama, followed by unnecessary plot turns between Baceska, Frol & Tada.

... also, no Lilium-esque (or angsty anime) ending where all hell breaks loose in the last fifteen minutes.  :tongue:

All that good wikipedia stuff is here:

[quote="smtmissin"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="kitaoji" data-cid="197005" data-time="1461651320">
<div>
[/quote]

I searched wiki and only found the plot for part 1. The musical is supposed to be about the sequel (part 2) right?

</div>
</blockquote>

Minor cast update:

They did some cast shuffling and Eripon & Yamagishi switched roles, so it'll be Eripon doing Glen Groff (or Ishi-atama) and Yamagishi playing Atenai. 

Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

OST Single to be released presale at Kyoto

http://www.zoku11.com/#!sound/ybey0

1. Ai no Kotoba (愛の言葉)
2. Higashi no Chihei, Nishi no Towa (東の地平・西の永遠)
3. Suki Dakara...... (好きだから……)
kitaoji
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by kitaoji »

Rehearsal preview is up on Youtube.

I'm seeing a number of promising things, like Eripon's penchant for staged swordfighting scenes and some generally good performances from 12th gen (Haachin still has some ways to go, dammit).  Haruna was surprisingly good in those few seconds we saw of her.

Still feels like they're cramming a lot into this play: the doublecasting isn't really necessary, and there's many other ways to demonstrate Tada's telepathy skills, and the "contemporary dance", while should be a step up above Triangle's, could be somewhat distracting.

TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

I watched that and I just have to say that I'm dying that the director calls Kudou "Duu", Ishida "Daaishi" and Oda "Oda-chan".
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

http://helloproject.com/release/detail/EPBE-5535/

2DVD+2CD

CD Tracklist (the two discs share tracklist, but are split between the East/West versions)

1. Ai no Kotoba (愛の言葉)
2. Higashi no Chihei, Nishi no Towa (東の地平・西の永遠)
3. Wo Tomodachi ni Naritai! (お友達になりたい!)
4. Higashi no Chi Aritsuka.re (東の地 アリトスカ・レ)
5. Nishi no Chi Aritsuka.ra (西の地 アリトスカ・ラ)
6. Tsuyoki Koku wo Motomete (強き国を求めて)
7. Sensou ga Hajimaru (戦争がはじまる)
8. Tsumetai Kaze (冷たい風)
9. Basesuka wo Korose! (バセスカを殺せ!)
10. Mayoi no Mori (迷いの森)
11. Bokura no Shinnen (僕らの信念)
12. Nani mo Kataru na (何も語るな)
13. Ou no Tsutome (王の務め)
14. Suki Dakara...... (好きだから……)
15. Teki wo Ute! (敵を撃て!)
16. Maya no Hi (マヤの火)