March Musume Madness 2017

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

JPope
ANGERME

March Musume Madness 2017

Post by JPope »

Last year's tournament was a good time, and the result for Best MM single was surprising. If you joined after March of last year this thread explains the concept, and a forum search of "MUSUME MADNESS" will turn up the threads for each round of last year's tourney.

We're on the edge of March, so let's hear some ideas for this year's tourney. Anything H!P related works, so long as we can cobble together 60-ish selections, it's ripe for a tournament. Here are a few ideas:

• Non-MM group singles (MKB, C-ute, Berryz, Buono!, ANGERME-S/mileage, etc)
• CD cover art
• H!P singers 
• MM album tracks

Feel free to suggest something else. We can take an informal poll to see what members are into this year. I'm happy to put the brackets together and, depending on the subject, do the seeding. If it's something I don't know much about, someone else can seed them. I don't want to put seeding up for a vote, though, because it would defeat the purpose of the tournament, lol.

So what do you guys want to do this year?
Derby
ANGERME

Re: March Musume Madness 2017

Post by Derby »

Image Hey
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I'm open to a variety of options. It could be fun to do what we did last year with MM but with C-ute this year. Or something involving competition from all H!P acts.
Formerly Mizura
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Ha ha, I just replied there!

I think your idea is cool, and we should do that in addition to a full-blown NCAA-style tournament for some other thing. MM membership is a weird number to do a bracket-tourney unless we do a pre-tourney play-in with 16 members, which would take four full rounds, lol! 
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

The thing that was holding me back to post on the spam thread about my poll was that since last year we did a MM exclusive tournament it would have been better if the rest of the groups were involved this year instead.
I'm not thinking in nothing specific, but my vote goes to something where other groups can take part on.
Image Hey
Mukuro
ANGERME

Post by Mukuro »

I'm so excited for this again! Agree with other groups taking part not just MM.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

How about just like....groups?
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

I definitely think doing the all MM members thing that Derby wanted to do is a fun idea (I weep for Riho, though...) maybe we could do the same but with all H!P members ever? Although that might be more work than ~60 singles lol.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

There's a lot of really old random members and kenshuusei that would just clog it up because no one really knows who they are.
Last edited by Anderei on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

Morning Musume (13) + Berryz Koubou (8) + ºC-ute (8) + ANGERME (14) + Juice=Juice (6) + Country Girls (7) + Factories (17) = 73

If we take out the irrelevants it's a total of 67.

If we only use the current members it's 55, we could use Riho and Aika + 3 popular ex-members or kenshuusei to make 60.
Image Hey
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

With Derby doing a MM member poll, I think I'd like to do something other than members with the tournament. I'm thinking some sort of battle of the Not Morning Musume groups. We could do Berryz vs. C-ute, as both have enough singles to accommodate a full 64 song bracket, or do one with the four legacy groups - Berryz, C-ute, Buono!, and Melon Kinenbi - each occupying their own 16-single region. The obvious problem with the latter is that Buono! only released 14 singles; the easy solution is that their top two seeded songs receive a first-round bye (that is, they don't face a challenge in the first round), or all songs compete in the 1st round, and the top remaining seed after that gets a 2nd-round bye. I prefer the first solution.

I also prefer the four-group tournament. This is what I'm leaning towards, anyways. I know some would prefer ANGERME-S/mileage rather than either Buono! or MKB, but with C-ute about to release their final single, I like the idea of pitting H!P's most notable Legacy Groups against each other. I might get in touch with some folks here to work on paring down and seeding Berryz and C-ute to 16 singles.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

I'm up for everything, I loved what we did last March.

But a few questions / remarks :

Derby, who would be the irrelevant members you'd take off ?

JPope, I agree with your idea of BK/°C/B!/MK and with your 1st solution about Buono! (though they sure have at least 2 album songs that would have deserved to be singles (a) ).
Campy <3 !
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

[quote="Meikochi"]
Derby, who would be the irrelevant members you'd take off ?
[/quote]

The 4 members who left ºC-ute and Berryz, Kosuga Fuyuka and I don't remember if the 6th was Ogawa or Otsuka, probably Otsuka since she was in J=J for like 3 months but at least that was more recent than Ogawa's departure from S/mileage so I don't know who it was.

I also thought it would be too much if this was about members too although both things are very different.
Image Hey
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Derby" data-cid="205709" data-time="1488729086"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Meikochi" data-cid="205708" data-time="1488722556">
Derby, who would be the irrelevant members you'd take off ?</blockquote>
The 4 members who left ºC-ute and Berryz, Kosuga Fuyuka and I don't remember if the 6th was Ogawa or Otsuka, probably Otsuka since she was in J=J for like 3 months but at least that was more recent than Ogawa's departure from S/mileage so I don't know who it was.</blockquote>

Ok thank you. I'd say we should keep Ogawa in since she stayed 2 years in S/m and has been in 2 units (so way more material to have an opinion on her than Otsuka) . Plus the fact, I think, a majority of us knew her when she was active.
Campy <3 !
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I'd like a Berryz vs. C-ute. Now that C-ute is leaving we can finally, once and for all, see who was the greatest group in H!P Kids.
C-ute, if you ignore their one indie Musical single since it didn't have a PV attached to it and include their upcoming single, have 36 singles to match Berryz 36. 

I didn't realize how matched they were, they even have the same amount of original albums. They need one more Best of Album to match Berryz too. 

I'm curious on where I would go with them. Visually I always liked C-ute more, but I enjoyed Berryz' music more. I'm very conflicted. 
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

I would be very interested to do complete BK/°C discographies as well. We would have done this a few years ago I would have been conflicted but now I think °C-ute wins for me.
Campy <3 !
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Meikochi"]
I'm up for everything, I loved what we did last March.

JPope, I agree with your idea of BK/°C/B!/MK and with your 1st solution about Buono! (though they sure have at least 2 album songs that would have deserved to be singles (a) ).
[/quote]

I'd prefer not to add album tracks for the same reason I didn't last year: because singles are more than just the main track. I'm open to doing a tourney that is just songs -- including album tracks -- though. It would be a lot tougher to narrow the field down, though, unless we only use one or two groups, and even that could be challenging.  A Berryz vs C-ute tournament with 32 songs from each might be cool, though.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

Berikyuu tournament needs to happen, specially because I know nothing about melon kinenbi and only know rottara and my boy from bouno

It's also going to be more epic when the 2 kid groups meet in the finals with their best single
Image Hey
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="Derby"]
It's also going to be more epic when the 2 kid groups meet in the finals with their best single
[/quote]

What if everyone votes for Chou HAPPY SONG and then they both end up being victors? :P
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

[quote="arcobaleno"]
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Derby" data-cid="205730" data-time="1488765343">
<div>
[/quote]

What if everyone votes for Chou HAPPY SONG and then they both end up being victors? :P
</div>
</blockquote>
That means Uta-chan is coming back for no reason
Image Hey
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="arcobaleno"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Derby" data-cid="205730" data-time="1488765343">
<div>
[/quote]

</div>
</blockquote>

I lol'd.