Excerpts fixed

Public forum for all b!p related stuff (formerly "Lets work on blog!project!" thread).
aine
ANGERME

Excerpts fixed

Post by aine »

I gave B!P front page an ever so slight facelift and fixed the post excerpts that were broken since the host pushed through a (long overdue) obligatory WordPress core update. I see a couple of posts that don't show the Read More link due to their funky formatting, but that's minor. I'll look into it another time.

There's a huge amount of work that B!P needs and honestly looking at it I don't even know where to start. Sometimes I wish I could just nuke it and start over. :hahaha: There are two main problems really:

1. The theme, which was great and very top of the line 6 years ago is obsolete by today's web standards, and more importantly it's a huge clusterfuck under the hood which makes any changes like adding new categories a huge pain in the hole (which, again, was the best that could have been done back then).

2. The site has outgrown itself by an order of magnitude. We have 107 categories for each member, up from less than 15 at the start. The database dump by itself is nearly half a gigabyte. I won't even say how large a full backup of the site is, but even now, with relatively few translations being published compared to the prime period, it still generates between 1000 and 2000 image uploads every month.

It's a colossus on the legs of clay basically. We've changed our web host a while ago and despite improvements in a lot of areas I can see that the site is grinding its gears and is not a long-term solution. We're on a highest tier consumer plan already, but even that turned out to not be enough.

I feel in quite a bit of a bind here. What the site needs is both a full front-end rewrite AND a back-end upgrade to a business-tier solution simply because of its size. The former would require a lot of time and effort and dedication which I don't really have, and the latter would require a lot more money being shelled out monthly which I'm not willing to do for a completely non-revenue fan site (and before you ask I'm not willing to monetize it either short of UFG making us an official site lol).

I'm not really going anywhere with the above right now, I just wanted to think out loud a bit (or vent if you wish). But I really don't like the impending feeling in the back of my head that something needs to be done before the site grinds to a halt under its own weight and that the task to do it feels very overwhelming.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
#whereisyui #ゆいちゃん
~breathe your last and fall into my eternal embrace~
WhiteForte
Juice=Juice

Re: Excerpts fixed

Post by WhiteForte »

Guess I'll have to polish my front and back end skills. I'll look into php (which I've never bothered to learn) and see if I can help!
<p style="text-align:right;">PNG Emoji list http://blog-project.net/?p=253876&preview=true