Country Girls become a half-time group; 3 members transfer to other groups

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Re: Country Girls become a half-time group; 3 members transfer to other groups

Post by TicTacAnyone »

I'm on mobile so I can't link easily... but Risa made a really long blog post that basically seemed like this wasn't her choice necessarily and she wanted to continue as 5-nin CG. She had faith in everyone's growth and she wanted to show it... but she wonders if the company feels CG failed them. She wanted to balance CG and school...

This changes everything... please, someone link it if you come across it!! Sorry about being on mobile ????
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

This changes everything yes... I feel so bad for the girls, knowing it wasn't their choice.
Campy <3 !
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

This just makes me even more angry lol. I can totally imagine that Risa and Ozeko were so close to rage quit everything. Probably saying "we want Country Girls or nothing at all".
However if CG was disbanded and Risa and Ozeko had left H!P it would've looked really, really bad on Up-Front's part. Ozeko was basically groomed as the next variety star (and they just had her do the H!S thing with Maimi - which makes me wonder when they decided on all this...) and Risa was such a big H!P fan and cried tears of joy when she debuted and looked so ready to start the new era of CG. Not only would UF have lost the money they invested into these two, they also would've lost face. So they came to this lukewarm decision of keeping CG around for the holidays. 

Honestly, nobody likes this. Momoko is pissed, the other groups are pissed, CG members are pissed, fans are pissed. 
Just what the hell did they thought this would cause?
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

I don't think Ozeki is pissed; if you read her blog, she seems more relieved, talking about her struggles with balancing work and school, and especially with this here: " I had already been thinking about what to do with Country Girls activities"

In her case, I'd say she's the least mad over it, she probably has her issues with it, but it gives her a big out to take to stay in H!P and balance her work and life without a graduation from anything other than school.

But yeah, as far as everyone else goes, you can tell just how majorly angry they are. I don't blame them... they basically made Momoko's contribution and loving care a waste and slapped her and all the other CG members square in the face.

It'll be interesting to see how things progress, but the way this came about, management-wise, is nothing other than lame.
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

Part of me feels that the girls are taking their Momoko training to the other groups to give everyone a different approach or make them work harder than before as there is a new girl that may have more experience than them.

I think Morito is going to go into MM. Musubu would fit nicely into Kobushi, and Nanami... I'm not sure. CM was perfect for her. Personally I loved the shuffle groups so I'm curious to see how this plays out. Do you think they'll shuffle even more girls from other groups? It'd be a way to weed out the duds in MM without firing them? :lol:

Also was it stated current groups or just existing groups? If it's existing groups, we may gain our shuffles back. [Wishful thinking maybe?]

Edit: The more I think about it, I wonder if they'll bring back Tanpopo, Petit Moni, and Minimoni. We have 3 very different styles with these CM girls, and you could easily resurrect the groups. Especially with it being the 20th Anniversary.

Edit2: I forgot ZYX, v-u-den, and Aa! were all reshuffled a few years back too. We have 6 girls without groups currently. 8 if you count Momohime and Takase.
Last edited by Purin-chama on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

I'm sure one of them will go to Tsubaki. They still could really use some better vocals. 2nd gen didn't really add much in that respect.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

Reading all of the blog posts, the purpose of the concurrency feels a little unclear.. it would seem they wanted all of the girls to work in 2 groups full time because Risa talks about how that would be too heavy a workload for her.
But at the same time, all of the girls are questioning if management sees 5-member CG as a failure, or not being able to be successful. If H!P wanted them to continue regular activities, why would that be the mindset?

Maybe they have feelings of failure because it was their group that was chosen to be put into other ones. Like, the girls aren't of enough value to maintain CG, so they want to utilize them somewhere else to keep their fans on board but not sink an idol group on their limited success (and maybe bring fans back to Country Girls by attracting people who had never paid them any attention before to the members).

If this really is just about H!P wanting a guinea pig to try out this sort of system, I think Juice=Juice would have made a lot more sense. All of the girls are committed to the group and a bit older, so they have more time to devote to work. They could use more popularity as well. If you put Karin in Morning Musume, I'm sure Juice=Juice would see an increase in sales.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I'm wondering how long this has been planned. And if they've been thinking of doing it for while, it explains why only 2 people were added as 13ki so more people can transfer in if that's the case for MM.
Formerly Mizura
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Myst"]
Part of me feels that the girls are taking their Momoko training to the other groups to give everyone a different approach or make them work harder than before as there is a new girl that may have more experience than them.

I think Morito is going to go into MM. Musubu would fit nicely into Kobushi, and Nanami... I'm not sure. CM was perfect for her. Personally I loved the shuffle groups so I'm curious to see how this plays out. Do you think they'll shuffle even more girls from other groups? It'd be a way to weed out the duds in MM without firing them? :lol:

Also was it stated current groups or just existing groups? If it's existing groups, we may gain our shuffles back. [Wishful thinking maybe?]

Edit: The more I think about it, I wonder if they'll bring back Tanpopo, Petit Moni, and Minimoni. We have 3 very different styles with these CM girls, and you could easily resurrect the groups. Especially with it being the 20th Anniversary.

Edit2: I forgot ZYX, v-u-den, and Aa! were all reshuffled a few years back too. We have 6 girls without groups currently. 8 if you count Momohime and Takase.
[/quote]

They're cutting the activities of the one group that kind of stands out from the rest of the H!P stable, and spreading their talent out among the rest, so I doubt shuffles are on the horizon. To me, this looks more like a consolidation of resources to fit the current H!P girl-group formula rather than posturing for a return to adding several diverse shuffle groups.

If I was a CG fan, I'd be pissed.

This almost certainly means a spate of graduations is on the horizon, no? Do they really want four groups with 11+ members? They're not gonna put all or even most of them in J=J (I predict NONE will be added to J=J), so how exactly does this work without a bunch of graduations?
Last edited by JPope on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

[quote="TheParuProject"]
If this really is just about H!P wanting a guinea pig to try out this sort of system, I think Juice=Juice would have made a lot more sense. 
[/quote]

I feel like they thought J=J members would be too old. Once °C-ute and Momoko are out girls like Yuka and Tomoko will be among the oldest in H!P. It goes Wada > Yuka > Haruna > Tomoko ( > Mizuki > Ayumi > Sayuki). 
Akari and Karin are more around the age of the other members, but they're already older than all of Kobushi. 

On the other hand, Morito fits right into Kobushi and Tsubaki and is just a few months younger than Moe and Kaede. Nanami and Funakki would be among the youngest members, but they're still older than Kasahara, Mao, and in Nanami's case older than Akane as well - it wouldn't look as weird. 

(This is also the reason why I wouldn't want any of the three CG girls to join Juice=Juice... the age difference would be weird. Morito might be only a year younger than Karin and Akari but when it comes to Nanami and Funakki we're already at a 3 year difference.)
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Yuka will actually be the oldest. She turned 23 a couple months ago.

JJ are kind of on borrowed time, though. In a year and a half they're going to find themselves in C-ute's position where their youngest members are 20 and their leader is almost 25, and that's what spurred them to thinking about disbandement.
Last edited by Anderei on Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

It just feels like adding these girls to other groups is so going to mess with the dynamic of those groups... both on a business and personal side. I would have so many emotions if I was in a group and all of a sudden they throw this new girl in. What's her standing in the group itself if she's already been in another group? How do I interact with her? Etc
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="208137" data-time="1497131800"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Myst" data-cid="208132" data-time="1497113538">

Edit2: I forgot ZYX, v-u-den, and Aa! were all reshuffled a few years back too. We have 6 girls without groups currently. 8 if you count Momohime and Takase.</blockquote>They're cutting the activities of the one group that kind of stands out from the rest of the H!P stable, and spreading their talent out among the rest, so I doubt shuffles are on the horizon. </blockquote>I'm still hopeful one day it'll happen! :lol: Especially with how stagnant H!P has gotten.

15 girls in MM didn't last for long without graduations, and even then, they had the Gumi split during that 14nin-15nin time. 12-13 girls is typical for 4th-8th gens in MM. No other permanent group has had beyond 9, so it definitely sounds like graduations beyond Haruka and Rio are happening somewhere, if no groups are being resurrected. I doubt they will announce anything until after those graduation tours though. It sounds like we may get information by the summer concerts for CM from some of the blogs. It also sounded like some competition between groups may be happening too...

When was the last time we had competition between groups anyways?
Last edited by Purin-chama on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]
It just feels like adding these girls to other groups is so going to mess with the dynamic of those groups... both on a business and personal side. I would have so many emotions if I was in a group and all of a sudden they throw this new girl in. What's her standing in the group itself if she's already been in another group? How do I interact with her? Etc
[/quote]

Well, it's not like there isn't any sort of precedent for this, albeit not on this scale. Miki Fujimoto slid into MM with a successful solo career to her credit, and it worked out fine. I agree that disrupting the group dynamics is the main issue, although this is always in play any time new girls are added. But there are so many girls to add to four groups that are already pretty large.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

[quote="Anderei"]

JJ are kind of on borrowed time, though. In a year and a half they're going to find themselves in C-ute's position where their youngest members are 20 and their leader is almost 25, and that's what spurred them to thinking about disbandement.
[/quote]

Ah, you're right. Not sure how I messed up, I made a list and even used colours haha. 

I think if anything they should simply disband Juice=Juice when their time has come. It's not like every H!P group in the past had a 10 year run anyways. 5-6 years are already quite good. 
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

[quote="DonJuan"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="208140" data-time="1497135139">
<div>

[/quote]

Ah, you're right. Not sure how I messed up, I made a list and even used colours haha. 

I think if anything they should simply disband Juice=Juice when their time has come. It's not like every H!P group in the past had a 10 year run anyways. 5-6 years are already quite good. 

</div>
</blockquote>

True, but with almost everyone getting additions these days it feels like UFP doesn't agree. But now that CG aren't going to be a full time group AND we're losing C-ute, I do see a brand new group as likely, whereas before it didn't seem very likely to me.

Edit: Even Up Up Girls got new members and they've had the same lineup since 2011. UFP isn't letting anything die.
Last edited by Anderei on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Granted, it's easier to suck up sales from already established groups. Making new groups popular is hard. I'm looking forward to Tsubaki's next release. Kobushi is doing okay, but they couldn't reach the sales of their first single again. Since they did the same formula for Tsubaki's major debut (tons of handshake events) I wonder if they'll continue to sell well. But apparently wota like them because they're moe or something. Eh.

Since Karin, their main bread-winner, is one of the younger ones in the group I wouldn't be surprised about J=J 2nd gen either. Karin has some more years left, no matter whether Yuka or Tomoko stay in the group or not. 
I guess it also depends on how they do it. But knowing UF I won't hold my hopes up high.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Yeah, but I think there's definitely an overlap in fans for all of the groups. There isn't a single 'popular' group in H!P, but it's also been a very long time since they've had a legitimate failure. As far as the big picture is concerned, they're all pretty much on similar playing field popularity-wise. 
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

Maimi's blog entry put the change very eloquently, and actually makes quite a bit of sense seeing as a majority of the girls in H!P are still in middle or high school. 
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

And Maimi sounds like a real H!P leader there. Any reason why they can't keep her on in that capacity? Make it a full-time job. Retire Makoto and let her host every event and give pep talks to each group. Without having to perform in a group, she can devote more time to it. Whaddaya say, Up-Front? Don't tell me the organization by-laws specifically preclude such a thing.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Maybe she wants to do more interesting things.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I'd pass the baton to Sayumi before I even thought of Maimi if we were to let Makoto go. Sayumi has more the chops of a leader than Maimi.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
I'd pass the baton to Sayumi before I even thought of Maimi if we were to let Makoto go. Sayumi has more the chops of a leader than Maimi.
[/quote]
I think Maimi has more experience with guidance of younger girls, though. She was 14 when she became a group leader of C-ute. The only one to become a leader younger was Captain. She was one of the oldest HPK (of 15 girls) winning the audition at 10! She also is the second longest running H!P Leader after Yuuko. Sayumi was one of the younger girls in MM for years. She may have had great guidance within MM, but overall, Maimi and even Ayaka have had more experience as a leader. 

Captain - 2 years as HPK leader, plus 11 years as leader of Berryz
Maimi - 12 years as leader of C-ute, 3 years as H!P leader
Ayaka - 8 years leader of S/mileage/Angerme, current H!P leader
Sayumi - 2 years as MM and H!P leader
Last edited by Purin-chama on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Wait, Maimi had more years as H!P leader than Sayumi?! Woah.
mrsross
モーニング娘。

Post by mrsross »

[quote="DonJuan"]
Wait, Maimi had more years as H!P leader than Sayumi?! Woah.
[/quote]
Yep. Sayumi was leader during the mass exodusing of the platinum era meanwhile Maimi became leader after Sayu finally left and we had a slight breath of relief that C-ute wasn't going to get the 10 year disbandment announcement like Berryz
Last edited by mrsross on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="DonJuan" data-cid="208207" data-time="1497396741">
Wait, Maimi had more years as H!P leader than Sayumi?! Woah.</blockquote>
Crazy right?! It feels like she was the leader for longer.
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

Morito is joining Momusu, Yanagawa is joining Juice=Juice, and Funaki is joining ANGERME