Hello!Spam :: 2023 ~Dancing, Singing, Exciting!~

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Re: Hello!Spam :: 2022 ~Love and Peace~

Post by Shoujo Q »

You mean this? The name sucks because it really doesn’t give you a full idea of what you’re buying. Until you read the description of course.

And I agree. Saori’s video was the best.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

That somehow flew completely under my radar. Looks like it was released right around the time I started a four-month break from H!P.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Does anyone know the exact date Morning Musume was formed? It's their 25th anniversary this year. I know their first single, "Ai no Tane" was released on November 3, 1997, but when did they officially get announced as a new group with that name?
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

This is from the fandom wiki, madara!
Spoiler: [+]
In April 1997, Japanese producer Tsunku decided to hold an audition for a female rock vocalist for his band Sharam Q through the ASAYAN talent show. At the end of August, Heike Michiyo was declared the winner, but on September 7, he also decided to form an idol group with five of the ten runner-ups: Nakazawa Yuko, Abe Natsumi, Iida Kaori, Fukuda Asuka, and Ishiguro Aya.

Back at the studio, they were told that to be able to debut with Tsunku as their producer, they had to sell 50,000 copies of the demo single "Ai no Tane" with just five days of promotion events. A week later, on September 14, the group's name was revealed as Morning Musume.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Thanks.
I find this subsequent paragraph curious because of its peculiar math:
Morning Musume's campaign to sell 50,000 copies of "Ai no Tane", which was to be done by hand, began on November 3, 1997 in Osaka and was scheduled to take place throughout the month in four other major cities, with the final day on December 7 in Tokyo.[12] They managed to reach the sales goal in just four days on November 30.[13]
From November 3 to November 30 is 27 days, not four days, right?
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

They sold 50,000 in the first 4 days, although the campaign lasted 27. I think that's an error on the wiki. The source they reference said:

"発売初日大阪で16,610枚(後日引き渡し分含む)・・・2日目福岡で9,004枚・・・
3日目札幌で14,853枚! そう、メジャーデビューまで残り・・・9,533枚"

16,610 copies sold on the first day in Osaka, 9,004 sold on the second day in Fukuoka, and then 14,853 sold on the third day in Sapporo, leaving only 9,533 to remain to meet to the 50,000 goal and major debut. They then met the 50k goal at the Nagoya baseball stadium. I can't find a reference that lists the beginning date, maybe someone else could?

Actually, I found one claim on the Japanese Wikipedia that they sold 15,612 on the first day.

As to how the timeline works out that way... no idea. I'm thoroughly confused.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

MejraThea wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:28 am They sold 50,000 in the first 4 days, although the campaign lasted 27. I think that's an error on the wiki. The source they reference said:

"発売初日大阪で16,610枚(後日引き渡し分含む)・・・2日目福岡で9,004枚・・・
3日目札幌で14,853枚! そう、メジャーデビューまで残り・・・9,533枚"

16,610 copies sold on the first day in Osaka, 9,004 sold on the second day in Fukuoka, and then 14,853 sold on the third day in Sapporo, leaving only 9,533 to remain to meet to the 50,000 goal and major debut. They then met the 50k goal at the Nagoya baseball stadium. I can't find a reference that lists the beginning date, maybe someone else could?

Actually, I found one claim on the Japanese Wikipedia that they sold 15,612 on the first day.

As to how the timeline works out that way... no idea. I'm thoroughly confused.
Thank you so much. Of course, now that I'm seeing it in such detail, it begs other questions. How exactly did they sell the copies? Were the five of them together at each point of sale? Was one member each posted in a different city? What kind of pitch did they use? Did they have tables set up? How much did they charge? Why didn't I think of these questions 17 years ago when I first heard about this?

I would imagine the most effective approach would have been the five of them together going up to passersby and declaring, "We just recorded our first song? Won't you please buy a copy?" How could anyone say "no"?
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

H!P Wiki has a timeline broken down which was provided mainly by Asayan. It’s been forever and a day since I even saw a full episode of the show so I don’t exactly remember how they went about selling the CDs. I just remembered the end bit where they were all together handing out CDs and finally selling the last one.

The promotional campaign actually started in October.

NOVEMBER
02 - ASAYAN BROADCAST - Ai no Tane promotion campaign & performance
03 - Ai no Tane single released
03 - Day 1 of selling "Ai no Tane". Event at HMV, Osaka. 16,610 CDs sold
09 - Day 2 of selling "Ai no Tane". Event at HMV, Fukuoka. 9,004 CDs sold
09 - ASAYAN broadcast - Ai no Tane promotion campaign
16 - ASAYAN broadcast - CD selling in Osaka & Fukuoka
23 - ASAYAN broadcast - Ai no Tane promotion campaign & Heike Michiyo "GET" performance
24 - Day 3 of selling "Ai no Tane". Event at Sapporo. 14,853 CDs sold
30 - Day 4 of selling "Ai no Tane". Event at Nagoya Ball Park. (9,533 CDs sold). 50,000 total.
(Osaka: 16,610, Fukuoka: 9,004, Sapporo: 1,4853, Nagoya: 9,533) "Thank you truly. Our dream of debut has been granted, it is delightful it truly is. Thank you truly."
30 - ASAYAN broadcast - CD selling in Sapporo

I know the H!P wiki like the back of my hand. It seriously was helpful with doing all the anniversary thread stuff. :ph34r:
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

Thanks, Shoujo! You really cleared that up haha.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

H!P Dance Team performing to "Kaibutsu" by YOASOBI from Dance Gakuen Season 7.

I forget who it was here that pointed out how H!P dancing is almost exclusively from the waist up, but it's true even of the unit dedicated to dance, and I wonder if it's by design to avoid possible injuries. Either way, this is pretty cool. Between this and MM's last video, Daishi has been chewing a lot of spotlight.
Last edited by JPope on Sat May 28, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Shoujo Q wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:32 pm H!P Wiki has a timeline broken down which was provided mainly by Asayan. It’s been forever and a day since I even saw a full episode of the show so I don’t exactly remember how they went about selling the CDs. I just remembered the end bit where they were all together handing out CDs and finally selling the last one.

The promotional campaign actually started in October.

NOVEMBER
02 - ASAYAN BROADCAST - Ai no Tane promotion campaign & performance
03 - Ai no Tane single released
03 - Day 1 of selling "Ai no Tane". Event at HMV, Osaka. 16,610 CDs sold
09 - Day 2 of selling "Ai no Tane". Event at HMV, Fukuoka. 9,004 CDs sold
09 - ASAYAN broadcast - Ai no Tane promotion campaign
16 - ASAYAN broadcast - CD selling in Osaka & Fukuoka
23 - ASAYAN broadcast - Ai no Tane promotion campaign & Heike Michiyo "GET" performance
24 - Day 3 of selling "Ai no Tane". Event at Sapporo. 14,853 CDs sold
30 - Day 4 of selling "Ai no Tane". Event at Nagoya Ball Park. (9,533 CDs sold). 50,000 total.
(Osaka: 16,610, Fukuoka: 9,004, Sapporo: 1,4853, Nagoya: 9,533) "Thank you truly. Our dream of debut has been granted, it is delightful it truly is. Thank you truly."
30 - ASAYAN broadcast - CD selling in Sapporo

I know the H!P wiki like the back of my hand. It seriously was helpful with doing all the anniversary thread stuff. :ph34r:
I assumed from legend that they went door-to-door or hung out on shopping streets selling one at a time to passersby. Judging from the above, they actually had a series of promotional events at specific sites and performances with strong backing from some entity. Who sponsored these events? How much was Asayan involved? Did they perform at every event or just the ones above that list "performance"? Nice to see that Michiyo got some (scant) exposure. How'd they get people to show up for an unknown group?
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

They weren't unknown. ASAYAN was one of the most popular TV shows in Japan, and the formation of MM was a major plot twist following the Sharam Q audition series. Keep in mind, this was 1997 and TV was still the main source of entertainment for most people.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I could have sworn this was posted here. But I guess not.

Hennka, over the years translated a lot of interviews and books. Here is a 3 part interview with Tsunku from Morning Musume's 20th anniversary book. It gives a lot of insight from his perspective on why the group was formed. I highly recommend reading it.

There's also more interesting stuff there too if you take the time to read it.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Lots of great stuff at WiT. He translated a bunch of H!P related books and articles.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

JPope wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:34 am H!P Dance Team performing to "Kaibutsu" by YOASOBI from Dance Gakuen Season 7.

I forget who it was here that pointed out how H!P dancing is almost exclusively from the waist up, but it's true even of the unit dedicated to dance, and I wonder if it's by design to avoid possible injuries. Either way, this is pretty cool. Between this and MM's last video, Daishi has been chewing a lot of spotlight.
It is kind of surprising. Sometimes I also wonder if it's done to save stamina since they're singing live as idols, but the dance unit doesn't sing.
Lately I've caught up with PSY's comeback and his dances are a lot wilder than this. He doesn't sing fully live though, mostly sometimes singing over his prerecorded stuff.
So yeah, avoiding injuries does sound quite plausible.

Anyways, I'm amazed how good this little dance video looks compared to many H!P MVs lmao
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Japanese dance reaction YouTuber reacts to H!P Dance Club video.

You don't have to understand Japanese to see that he's impressed, and while the comments are mostly harowota thanking him for highlighting this performance, there are a few of his normal followers who were surprised than an idol group could dance this well.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

ONE PLUS ONE: Chii and Ichika - Nanchatte Ren'ai

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Arisawa has gotten such better control since the last time I heard a solo from her. Juice definitely is working for her.

Chii on the other hand….

I hope she picks a descent graduation song it’ll be a rough ride.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Yeah, Ichika has improve a lot. I think Chii sounds alright, actually. Not amazing, but decent, and way better than I can ever remember her sounding in MM. What are the odds she goes with CG for her graduation song? Pretty high, no?
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Imagine One Summer Night finally being performed. But why would they lol

I remember Chii having big problems with her throat, it probably never went away. But she has never been a great singer either.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

NHK has an English language special on Morning Musume, available until August 7th.
Nine members are interviewed and the nine perform three numbers in-studio.
Mizuki says, "I've helped to shape the group's history." She sure got that right! :heart:

https://www.nhk.or.jp/j-melo/nhkworld/? ... _C4RBjyp1Q

Oh, and Chisaki's great in the Nanchatte Renai performance posted above. :hmph:
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

^ I don't know if they were instructed to keep their answers simple or something due to the nature of the program, but their interviews were super simple to understand.

Of course the subtitles were nice too if you don't understand Japanese at all!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Kago really is the best.

Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Ten years ago today Berryz Kobo appeared at AnimeNext in New Jersey and many of us were there.

Here's a link to my article on the event from that time:

https://otakuusamagazine.com/berryz-kob ... WnWlmhMRqQ
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

ONE PLUS ONE: Yuki Hirayama × Sakura Oda - "Aishite Aishite Ato Ippun"

I think Yuki is gonna be really good.
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

Sharing my enthusiastic post from FB on the six H!P Premier Seat Blu-rays:

I’ve now watched all six of the Hello! Project Presents…Premier Seat concert Blu-rays. They were pricey, but well worth it. These are some of the best H!P group concert performances in years. Each of the five groups gets their own Premium 70-minute concert disc (with 25-minute backstage/Making Of extras) and they all do the Hello! Project Premium, which is longer at 107 min. All shot in a club or studio of some kind, with no audience. They play to the camera and each other, so we get a more intense, intimate performance than usual. Also, because it’s a small set, there are no super-long shots from the ceiling of Budokan that take the viewer too far away and no distracting audience shots. We see way more of the girls and the camera moves furiously among them.
Each one is like a Greatest Hits concert, but streamlined. The Angerme Premium introduces the three new girls (Wakana, Rin, Shion), but they don’t perform. Musubu's still in Angerme here; Tomoko, Sayuki and Manaka are all still in J=J; and Masaki's still in MM. If you want to get these from CDJapan, the exchange rate is very favorable for overseas fans right now.

DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Glad you enjoyed them. Premier Seat really was a great idea and they did execute them well.

^^ You know, that's what I thought during the New Years concerts, and during her first Anju single, and basically every time we see her. I never thought of her while in the KSS and I don't think she stuck out at all, but she's doing really well.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Interesting that you mention her time in KSS. Someone streamed the 2021 KSS Shindan Test live, and I jotted down my immediate reactions to look back on in the event they debuted. Here's what I wrote about Yuki:

"Hirayama Yuki: Rock no Tegi - Bad singer. Strangely strong voice considering lack of pitch and rhythm. Really good energy."

LMFAO! This was like eight months before she debuted! Just goes to show how far these trainees can come in a short period of time, because Yuki looks legit in all facets now.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Absolutely. I feel that ever since Ruru debuted we didn't have a great performance in those tests anymore, so seeing the KSS girls not being bad is always a surprise.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

This was mentioned in the OCHA NORMA thread, but it seems more appropriate here.

Hello Kitty sings The☆Peace!