[2018.10.24] Morning Musume '18 - Furari Ginza / Jiyuu na Kuni Dakara

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Re: [2018.10.24] Morning Musume '18 - Furari Ginza / Jiyuu na Kuni Dakara

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="honey"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="215575" data-time="1539484936">
And finally, yes it's sad they neglected Haruna in all the MVs. Kinda goes to show what the company felt of her imo. She grew a decent amount with her time in MM, but a lot of us really hoped she would be the shining MC grace, or be the star of talk shows.... But alas, MM hardly goes on shows anymore it feels like. So her particular talents kinda went to waste and it felt like she didn't have much of a space in MM.
</blockquote>

Was this supposed to be her graduation single? If so I wouldn’t have been able to tell lol

[/quote]

Yup! This is her grad single! 

But really, it was the same with Ogata. Haruka was the last member to really get a spotlight/song for their grad. They'll probably go back to doing that after Haruna graduates. Kinda sad, really.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

No respect for Honey. :(
It's okay she was only a subleader for years and my favorite no big deal.

Like even Zukki got a spotlight I'm shocked they didn't do anything for Haruna!
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Yeah, considering that it's really weird. She gets some lines in the b-side but hey who cares?
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

Maybe H!P are trying to move back to that vibe of "everyone is replaceable".  I kind of hope so.  The whole trend of giving a girl a big focus in her final single is kind of a new thing and it started right around the time MM became painfully stagnant again...
Last edited by Farrah on Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="Farrah"]
Maybe H!P are trying to move back to that vibe of "everyone is replaceable".  I kind of hope so.  The whole trend of giving a girl a big focus in her final single is kind of a new thing and it started right around the time MM became painfully stagnant again...
[/quote]

See I'm kind of torn on this--I've actually liked most of the grad songs;

Mikaeri Bijin/Shaba
Tsumetai/ENDLESS SKY
Utakata
Wakaindashi

The earlier ones were sorta meh for me. And It's not like I care for any of the songs from the past two Haruna grads... So maybe if there was another grad song I'd actually like that/this single more? Idk. I feel like the grad songs end up being more creative than their regular releases.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TicTacAnyone" data-cid="215584" data-time="1539545925"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Farrah" data-cid="215581" data-time="1539528564">
Maybe H!P are trying to move back to that vibe of "everyone is replaceable". I kind of hope so. The whole trend of giving a girl a big focus in her final single is kind of a new thing and it started right around the time MM became painfully stagnant again...</blockquote>

See I'm kind of torn on this--I've actually liked most of the grad songs;

Mikaeri Bijin/Shaba

Tsumetai/ENDLESS SKY

Utakata

Wakaindashi

The earlier ones were sorta meh for me. And It's not like I care for any of the songs from the past two Haruna grads... So maybe if there was another grad song I'd actually like that/this single more? Idk. I feel like the grad songs end up being more creative than their regular releases.</blockquote>

I had assumed that Ogata got shafted on a graduation single because she uh, wasn’t... memorable... but now that they’ve done to same to Iikubo it does kind of seem like they’re just not going to do it anymore. If it’s for the betterment of the group long term then cool but I agree that all of the recent graduation singles have been bops and the majority of other singles not so much sooo
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WonderBuono" data-cid="215579" data-time="1539527491">

Like even Zukki got a spotlight I'm shocked they didn't do anything for Haruna!</blockquote>

Kanon got some media spotlight and still has the honor of having the biggest solo appearance out of anyone she was in the group with (VS Arashi). Not surprising they threw her a bone. Haruna has done basically nothing in seven years.

I think the whole grad single thing pushes them into a corner they should avoid. Members usually leave so often, you don’t need to be planning every other single based on someone’s popularity or supposed contribution to the group.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="215590" data-time="1539560770">
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WonderBuono" data-cid="215579" data-time="1539527491">

Like even Zukki got a spotlight I'm shocked they didn't do anything for Haruna!</blockquote>Kanon got some media spotlight and still has the honor of having the biggest solo appearance out of anyone she was in the group with (VS Arashi). Not surprising they threw her a bone. Haruna has done basically nothing in seven years.

I think the whole grad single thing pushes them into a corner they should avoid. Members usually leave so often, you don’t need to be planning every other single based on someone’s popularity or supposed contribution to the group.</blockquote>
Even if the single is not crafted around the graduating idol per se, what would be the detriment in allowing them to be center of one of the two or three songs they release per single? Sales? btw not trying to come across as intentionally antagonistic, just genuinely interested in what your thoughts are lol
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Anderei"]Haruna has done basically nothing in seven years.

[/quote]

This sums it up pretty well.
Last edited by JPope on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="honey" data-cid="215592" data-time="1539571126"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="215590" data-time="1539560770"><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WonderBuono" data-cid="215579" data-time="1539527491">

Like even Zukki got a spotlight I'm shocked they didn't do anything for Haruna!</blockquote>Kanon got some media spotlight and still has the honor of having the biggest solo appearance out of anyone she was in the group with (VS Arashi). Not surprising they threw her a bone. Haruna has done basically nothing in seven years.

I think the whole grad single thing pushes them into a corner they should avoid. Members usually leave so often, you don’t need to be planning every other single based on someone’s popularity or supposed contribution to the group.</blockquote>Even if the single is not crafted around the graduating idol per se, what would be the detriment in allowing them to be center of one of the two or three songs they release per single? Sales? btw not trying to come across as intentionally antagonistic, just genuinely interested in what your thoughts are lol</blockquote>

I mean, if management never got behind her after over half a decade, they’re not gonna waste their time once she’s leaving.
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

[quote="Anderei"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="honey" data-cid="215592" data-time="1539571126">

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Anderei" data-cid="215590" data-time="1539560770">

Like even Zukki got a spotlight I'm shocked they didn't do anything for Haruna!
</blockquote>
Kanon got some media spotlight and still has the honor of having the biggest solo appearance out of anyone she was in the group with (VS Arashi). Not surprising they threw her a bone. Haruna has done basically nothing in seven years.

I think the whole grad single thing pushes them into a corner they should avoid. Members usually leave so often, you don’t need to be planning every other single based on someone’s popularity or supposed contribution to the group.</blockquote>
Even if the single is not crafted around the graduating idol per se, what would be the detriment in allowing them to be center of one of the two or three songs they release per single? Sales? btw not trying to come across as intentionally antagonistic, just genuinely interested in what your thoughts are lol</blockquote>

I mean, if management never got behind her after over half a decade, they’re not gonna waste their time once she’s leaving.

[/quote]

Oh I didn't mean Haruna specifically, I was asking generally
zlilzlilzlil
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by zlilzlilzlil »

First day they scored 2nd with 93,390 copies sold.
1st went to arashi with over 200,000 so they didn't stand a chance anyway.

Weekly they might come 3rd, cause the 3rd place is not too far away.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Jaejoong’s last single only sold about 30k after its first day. They should be fine. He has to do 20k + whatever they sell the next few days to rank higher.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

The more I listen to this now that it’s out on Apple Music... Furari Ginza is a terrible song with a good MV, and Jiyuu na Kuni is a good song with a terrible MV.

I feel like 2018 is a bad year for MM. I thought their singles last year, especially their album were pretty good overall. Maybe this is because of the loss of Duu :(
rikako♡eripon♡airi
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Yeah, sadly I have to agree. I'm done with Furari Ginza after the first verse. After that it just drags on.
I still think Jiyuu na Kuni is good in theory and worse in what it ended up to be, but it's okay.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

2nd day 3rd with 7957. 2nd sold 12k.
Campy <3 !
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

I wonder if Tsunku writes songs for specific groups these days, or if the company chooses who they go to. He's pretty consistently written some bops for the other groups lately while MM definitely got the scraps this year.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I still think Furari Ginza is a good song. Exciting? No. But good.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
zlilzlilzlil
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by zlilzlilzlil »

They release a video for the B-side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnNjvcmMAZU

This is a Haruna center, so you can say she did get a sendoff song, she even got the long solo at 4:30... 
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I like the song, it’s got that Idol feeling that the Momusu B-sides had back when they were doing the multiple B-sides.

They should’ve made this a Triple A side and given Harunan a proper send off like they did for Duu.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I'm not a fan of ballads but this is basically an extra like a cookie to a cup of coffee, and I won't complain about it.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I’m surprised they even released a video for it. But it’s actually surprisingly decent. Even the back girls who usually get no focus got something
Formerly Mizura
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

What did I tell y'all about graduations songgssss... See, now this is my favorite song of the single and it's one of the B-sides lol.
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

This should have been an A-side, let Furari Ginza be a B-side. What a shame.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I don’t care for the song but Haruna center is all I wanted!
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

I genuinely liked that song. It wasn’t a BOP, but it was cute, it was nice and I enjoyed it. I... just... don’t understand these decisions!!!!
Zange
つばきファクトリー

Post by Zange »

I... really don't understand why they made this single a double A-side if they were going to release a PV for the B-side. It's a very nice song with a decent PV, plus it actually gave Haruna some spotlight.

I don't get this company sometimes.
Now, what you hear is not a test
 -  -  -  
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

Second place weekly with 110,973 copies sold. (1st Arashi sold 372k, 3rd 106k).

After many listenings and a few events, I can say I really like both Furari Ginza and Jiyuu na Kuni Dakara but I can't deny it is a bit special to not feel a real climax in both songs, but mostly an atmosphere (it is at least how I feel). Y jiro is nice but I'm neutral toward it.

Also, for the record, MM.'s serial events (related to singles' releases) are focused on MC. They did both A-sides from the single, 20 - 30 minutes of MC (this time, depending on the event, shiritori in a foreign language or haiku written by members with a member name instead of the seasonal word) and then Y jiro.
[spoilerbox]

As for haiku, the girls mentionned a few anecdotes to explain what they wrote and here are a few I still have in memory : someone (Chisaki ?) mentionned Miki has a cool vibe but also a bit strange when she randomly starts to speak English to members, Sakura got mentionned by Miki because Sakura borrowed a pen from her in Kumagaya and forgot to give her back (so the haiku was along the lines of "I liked this pen so please don't keep it Oda-san), Ikuta wants to trend on Twitter (apparently it is Zukki who taught her the mechanics of Twitter trending system) and Maa-chan mentionned Harunan incoming bus tour ("はるなんがよんでくれないバスツアー", unclear to me unless it has something to do with the fact that Maachan filled the application form for this bus tour with some jokes (applying for Ayumi living in "Shitty land" (or something like that), Ayumi bounced back on it to declare she was the queen there) and Harunan didn't want to read Maachan jokes). Ayumi got mentionned a least twice, first by Mizuki for having borrowed socks from Mizuki one day she forgot hers before a training session and forgot to give them back until she wore them a few weeks later like it was hers, and by Yokoyan, who spotted Ayumi one day singing for herself a song with "holiday" in it, then wondering which day of the week it was so she started to sing for herself days of the week in English without finding "holiday" of course (the haiku was "石田さん歌歌っても出てこない").

All girls wrote their haiku on the first day they did that but half on them read it first, the other half read it the day after. Haga, who was doing MC, told all 6 who didn't read to keep their card until the next day, but Maachan threw it away that very night so she had to write them again on stage. These cards became lotery prizes. On the first day (at Yamano Hall), each member did janken with the audience (around 1100 people) until one fan remained (I was in the last 5 people for Kaede one and Harunan one, aw). The Sunshine City was not really convenient to do that (fans at five different floors, on every side on the stage) so they did a lotery with handshake tickets' numbers.

On a side note, Yamano Hall is fine for events, the stage is reasonably high and you don't have to come at the very beginning of the CD sales to be sure you will have a ticket to enter the mini event part (no seats though), but the Sunshine City viewing area is way too small, at least for MM. Only 220 people can fit in the dedicated viewing space, which force you to come at last 45 minutes - 1 hour before CD sales start to be sure you will have a ticket to access the viewing space. You can watch the event for free though from behind this dedicated area or, as we can see in videos, from other floors, but then you are not really in front of the stage (+ no seats and having to come a bit early to have a decent spot outside the viewing area).

Also, Fukuchan, Ayumi, Maachan, Sakura and Maria were really paying attention to people in all directions ; the rest was more really focused with fewer interactions with fans (apart from Miki who began to "play" a lot with people when we were waiting for the last people to end handshakes.) Sakura and Yokoyan seemed quite close, as well as Maa-Chel-Chisaki ? (not sure about the trio but I think I remember they chatted quite a lot when we were waiting at the end.)

[/spoilerbox]

I'm not sure if you remember but we once had a discussion about Maachan who changed some bits of the choregraphy to make it more interesting to fans who come at all their concerts (it somehow got mentionned by fans once and she had to explain her reasons). There was pretty much a consensus on the fact it must look bad, but actually, after spotting some of these moments during these short lives (and in Kumagaya), I can say she knows what she is doing. Rather than really changing bits, she adds a few movements or so and it does work. It doesn't feel too much or weird, it just highlights her performance sense if you watch her at the right time.
Last edited by Meikochi on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Campy <3 !
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

It cracks me up that one unnecessary key change in "Jiyuu na Kuni Dakara" wasn't enough, no, they had to have a SECOND one right after!
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="WonderBuono"]
It cracks me up that one unnecessary key change in "Jiyuu na Kuni Dakara" wasn't enough, no, they had to have a SECOND one right after!
[/quote]

I would probably really like the song if it had a key change after every chorus, instead of just at the end... I think that would make an interesting song.... but they somehow still made two key changes boring  :doh: