[2019.08.07] BEYOOOOONDS - Megane no Otoko no Ko/Nippon no D.N.A!/Go Waist

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Farrah
ANGERME

Re: [2019.08.07] BEYOOOOONDS - Megane no Otoko no Ko/Nippon no D.N.A!/Go Waist

Post by Farrah »

Time for a spicy take! I... am not super into this, haha.  I am really happy to see that so much effort and creativity went into the music videos, however, the songs just aren't doing it for me.  It feels like some kinda typical H!P tropes interspliced with some (to me) obnoxious speaking parts.  It kinda feels like the H!P equivalent to what a Stardust group would put out, if that makes sense?  Like the busy, chaotic arrangement mixed with the talky singing and voice actor-y bits feel kinda like a diet version of something Dempagumi.inc would put out. 

I'm still gonna stay hopeful for this group since it looks like a lot of time and effort is going into them, but I have a feeling their sound isn't gonna be my style.  It's weird, even though I don't enjoy the songs, I'm still really excited by this, because it's a rare occasion of UFP putting some actual thought into something, haha.  It seems like they're going to invest a lot in this group.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I like the videos more than I like the songs, and that's the opposite of what I'd prefer. I do see potential, though, and that's kind of exciting.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Yeah I would never believe this was a Hello Pro group if I just saw them on tv or something. I like the concept of how they kinda blend drama and song mainly in Megane no Otoko no Ko, and that one's okay, but these other songs just aren't doing it for me. Tbh if I had been picked for Beyooooonds instead of Morning Musume I would be so disappointed. xD I imagine they'll have very interesting shows once they get to the point where they can have their own concerts! They just need to work on the music first instead of basically stealing other people's ideas lol.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I like Megane no Otoko, but chiefly because I've seen them do it in concert so many times and the video has subs, so I can finally know what it's about.

The other two? I don't know. "Go Waist" goes right over my head. I don't understand it at all. I don't think I even watched it all the way through. I hate watching commercials, even if it's a parody, since I have no idea what's being parodied.

"Nippon no DNA" threw me off with its propagandizing in the same way that Tsubaki's "Shuusaku Sensation" did with its pro-corporate message: Do what you're told, suck up to the boss, etc. I kind of think the Japanese need different messages today. And I hate to see the girls used this way, for propaganda purposes, even though their basic appeal is to a more conservative Japanese audience anyway. Even then, I'm baffled that the audience the messages are aimed at is not the one buying these CDs or attending their concerts. In general the average Wota is too old to follow such advice. On the other hand, I loved Beyooooonds' version of Da Pump's USA. Cultural bias, I guess. :tongue:

I need to see DNA without the subs. Or see them perform it in concert. Sometimes that makes me appreciate a song more.
Last edited by Madara on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Village People <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://youtu.be/zD4kHC8cv3k' class="bbc_url" title="External link">Go West</a>

Saya’s Boot Camp -> <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://youtu.be/Kg-shHatxh0' class="bbc_url" title="External link">Billy’sBoot Camp</a>

And the end but with the piano is a parody of this.

I found a tweet about it so I don’t know what it is. But a quick YouTube search gave me this result.
<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://youtu.be/zNkLxDsBfHE' class="bbc_url" title="External link">https://youtu.be/zNkLxDsBfHE</a>
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

we found the MM MV budget!!!!

I feel like if these songs and videos came from any idol company other than H!P they’d seem just kinda whatever lol. They were cute and it was a good debut I think. I liked the theater-esque theme of Megane no Otokonoko and I’d like to see them expand on that more in future singles. I don’t see myself adding any of these to my playlist unfortunately, but I think they definitely have a lot of potential to evolve.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Madara"]
I like Megane no Otoko, but chiefly because I've seen them do it in concert so many times and the video has subs, so I can finally know what it's about.

The other two? I don't know. "Go Waist" goes right over my head. I don't understand it at all. I don't think I even watched it all the way through. I hate watching commercials, even if it's a parody, since I have no idea what's being parodied.

"Nippon no DNA" threw me off with its propagandizing in the same way that Tsubaki's "Shuusaku Sensation" did with its pro-corporate message: Do what you're told, suck up to the boss, etc. I kind of think the Japanese need different messages today. And I hate to see the girls used this way, for propaganda purposes, even though their basic appeal is to a more conservative Japanese audience anyway. Even then, I'm baffled that the audience the messages are aimed at is not the one buying these CDs or attending their concerts. In general the average Wota is too old to follow such advice. On the other hand, I loved Beyooooonds' version of Da Pump's USA. Cultural bias, I guess. :tongue:

I need to see DNA without the subs. Or see them perform it in concert. Sometimes that makes me appreciate a song more.
[/quote]

I don't see any of the things you're describing in either the DNA or Shuukatsu Sensation videos. 
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

^Me either. I can talk more about Shuukatsu because I know the song better, but that song totally spoke to me as someone of the “shuukatsu” age when it came out. I don’t think it’s pro-corporate, it’s explaining the feelings of being in that situation, and dealing with feelings of growing up and maturing.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

I'm going by what's in the subtitles on the YT videos. Are the subs a mistranslation? Or am I just misinterpreting? (Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.) I guess I just don't understand either video and no one's explained them to me in a way that registers.

I could go and pick out lines in the subs that made me interpret them the way I did and ask how the rest of you would interpret them. When I get a chance...
Last edited by Madara on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mukuro
ANGERME

Post by Mukuro »

Honestly this is the first hello project release I've liked in YEARS. Since at least '16. The anime one was stuck in my head after first listen which rarely happens.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Madara"]
I'm going by what's in the subtitles on the YT videos. Are the subs a mistranslation? Or am I just misinterpreting? (Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last.) I guess I just don't understand either video and no one's explained them to me in a way that registers.

I could go and pick out lines in the subs that made me interpret them the way I did and ask how the rest of you would interpret them. When I get a chance...
[/quote]

I'm going by the same subs.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

So I watched the DNA MV again to see what I felt it was about. Some of the subs are a little off on what they are trying to say but the jist of what I got was that it's a song that seems to try and explain a bit on what it means to be Japanese and take pride in that? I think that's what I got from it anyway.  :confused: I'm not good at explaining things to people.  :girlie:

BTW the DNA MV has taken the lead and I expected it too. It's a Japanese cheer song that's appealing to the general public. 
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

Ultimately, it's light-hearted fun music by teen idols. I think you just have to go in with the mindset that it's meant to be fun and light-hearted. It's observational and humorous. If it comes across too seriously to you, maybe consider that it's meant to be satirical.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Tsunku is usually the one throwing messages around. But this isn't Tsunku's work but it does seem like something he would do and thus it's perfect for H!P. They like to make you think, but not too hard. The hard part comes when they attempt these translations into English. Some of the meaning gets lost because they go too literal with the translation and miss the point of what they were trying to make or say.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
Tsunku is usually the one throwing messages around. But this isn't Tsunku's work but it does seem like something he would do and thus it's perfect for H!P. They like to make you think, but not too hard. The hard part comes when they attempt these translations into English. Some of the meaning gets lost because they go too literal with the translation and miss the point of what they were trying to make or say.
[/quote]

Seriously, H!P's translations are soooo hit or miss.  I know from personal experience that the company is very shifty about not wanting to hire foreigners, but they should really let up on that because their subtitles are often trash (hello "gundan of the love" lol).  It's very obvious that the people hired for their translations do not speak English 100% fluently.
Last edited by Farrah on Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

^ It's crazy that the translation quality varies so heavily. Nippon no D•N•A! and Go Waist have some rough areas, but I thought the translation of Megane no Otokonoko was great. Very easily read, not really any shifty, awkward spots.

Side note, the best UFP translations I've seen were Eric Fukusaki's PVs. They're flawless. I assume he translated it himself though, soooo lol.
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Madara" data-cid="218165" data-time="1563644764">
I need to see DNA without the subs. Or see them perform it in concert. Sometimes that makes me appreciate a song more.</blockquote>

Here it is: <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://youtu.be/ymqH7UMMgRM' class="bbc_url" title="External link">https://youtu.be/ymqH7UMMgRM</a>
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Beyooooonds debuted at #1 with 80,087 on Oricon

If they can hold onto the big numbers throughout the week, they will be a shoe in for a daily #1. 

That's something very few H!P groups or soloists have ever done. They'll be the first H!P group that wasn't a sub-group, to do it. 

The list is SUPER small. (List is from jplop)

<div>Pucchi Moni "Chokotto Love"</div>
<div>Mini Moni. "Mini Moni Jankenpyon"</div>
<div>Goto Maki "Ai no Bakayarou"</div>
<div>Gomattou "SHALL WE LOVE?"</div>
<div>DEF.DIVA "Suki Sugite Baka Mitai"</div>
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

80,000 for day 1 sales is impressive. Especially for a new group. Hopefully they will hold onto it and get number 1 for the week.
Formerly Mizura
AquaChan
ANGERME

Post by AquaChan »

For the other 2 persons that use Apple Music like me, it's now added but without Go Waist.
Last edited by AquaChan on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Yellow love 
<p style="text-align:center;">♥ Rikako ♥ Yumeno ♥ Yokoyan ♥ Kamiko ♥ Kamei ♥ 
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Damn, 80K? Was not expecting that. 
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]

Beyooooonds debuted at #1 with 80,087 on Oricon

If they can hold onto the big numbers throughout the week, they will be a shoe in for a daily #1. 

That's something very few H!P groups or soloists have ever done. They'll be the first H!P group that wasn't a sub-group, to do it. 

The list is SUPER small. (List is from jplop)

<div>Pucchi Moni "Chokotto Love"</div>
<div>Mini Moni. "Mini Moni Jankenpyon"</div>
<div>Goto Maki "Ai no Bakayarou"</div>
<div>Gomattou "SHALL WE LOVE?"</div>
<div>DEF.DIVA "Suki Sugite Baka Mitai"</div>

[/quote]

Ha, I love that Goto Maki was in 4 out of 5 of those subunits.  What a queen.

Very happy to see a recent H!P group doing so well, but so far no amount of replaying these songs has made me like them LOL.  
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

^shes probably the reason they did so well
rikako♡eripon♡airi
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Those are really, really good sales and they show how much promotion can do - regarding the sales of Beyooooonds and Morning Musume. Bynds outsold MM, despite not having the name. They don't have very well known members either - the only one somewhat known to the public would be Yuhane who did like two Pizza-La commercials.
Having them perform at TIF so close to their debut date might have helped peak a bit of interest, too.

Generally speaking, this is me being a pessimist here, we also have to acknowledge that they are the biggest group behind MM at 12 members (vs. MM's 14 members). As we know, bigger groups = better sales.

That being said: Imagine management actually promoting Morning Musume...
Last edited by DonJuan on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

[quote="DonJuan"]
Those are really, really good sales and they show how much promotion can do - regarding the sales of Beyooooonds and Morning Musume. Bynds outsold MM, despite not having the name. They don't have very well known members either - the only one somewhat known to the public would be Yuhane who did like two Pizza-La commercials.
Having them perform at TIF so close to their debut date might have helped peak a bit of interest, too.

Generally speaking, this is me being a pessimist here, we also have to acknowledge that they are the biggest group behind MM at 12 members (vs. MM's 14 members). As we know, bigger groups = better sales.

That being said: Imagine management actually promoting Morning Musume...
[/quote]

Yeah they showed up on a few small segments on shows a few weeks back... But they were actually interesting segments about the members, instead of just promoting the song and "buy our CD!" I think I saw clips of them on 4-5 different shows? 
Haru
ANGERME

Post by Haru »

the songs are catchy enough that ive been humming them all day, so i may actually find something h!p i care for again after aiai's grad.
[11:13:35 PM] Liam: DO NOT LET JAPANESE IDOLS GET IN THE WAY OF THE *AMERICAN* DREAM
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

They've moved another 9K the last two days. Will this thing actually break 100K?
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

It would be pretty sweet if they hit 1M on the DNA MV at the same time they hit 100K for their single release. The DNA MV is currently at around 995K.

They would need a BIG boost, 6K to hit 100K. At least on Oricon. Not sure how their billboard numbers look. But I have a feeling they will do it. 

I wish Go Waist was on Apple. Means I actually need to buy the single now.  :girlie:  :f5:
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Welp DNA just hit 1 million, so we'll have to see what their total sales are now!
Madara
ANGERME

Post by Madara »

[quote="Haru"]
the songs are catchy enough that ive been humming them all day, so i may actually find something h!p i care for again after aiai's grad.
[/quote]

Who's Aiai? It can't be Ai Kago, who never had an official graduation. Ai Takahashi? Aika Mitsui? Ayaka Wada?