[2019.06.12] Morning Musume '19 - Jinsei Blues/Seishun Night

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

DonJuan
ANGERME

Re: [2019.06.12] Morning Musume '19 - Jinsei Blues/Seishun Night

Post by DonJuan »

I honestly don't get it. It's three different MVs. But good on them for trying something new. Could have lived without the dance shot in the end though, that was half-hearted. Also I could swear Miki there looks like me when I was 14.
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

waow Harunan cameo was a pleasant surprise, feel like I haven’t seen H!P do something like that since S/mileage’s Bijin Mama (please correct me if i’m wrong), i wish they’d have OG cameos more often. She looks gorgeous also, what’s up with MM girls reaching their peak aesthetic only once they graduate? lol

anyway, video was unexpectedly an interesting watch for MM and I enjoyed the uplifting narrative and message that matched the lyrics. i like it!

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="DonJuan" data-cid="217620" data-time="1559393125">
Could have lived without the dance shot in the end though, that was half-hearted.</blockquote>

yeah after seeing Ayumi and Maria audition for their lives it was kind of weird to then see the whole group just kind of... slowly shuffle... lol
Last edited by honey on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Just watched Seshun Night for the first time, and it seems they've found a way to make classic MM funk boring. The intro is bad-ass, and the first line of the chorus tricks you into thinking you're about to get rewarded for putting up with the MM-by-numbers verse, but by the fourth bar it's clear you've been had. Quoting the "woah-oo woah" from One Two Three just feels cheap to me, and I usually dig call-backs to classic tracks. Damn. I like the last chorus to the end of the video when all of the girls appear to be genuinely having fun.

Musically, I like Jinsei Blues more, but like most MM tracks of the last several years, something feels off or missing. I can't quite pin-point it yet, and I don't think it's just rehashing old motifs and sounds, although that's part of it, but even when MM puts out a song I like, it still leaves me wishing it was better. I don't get that when the other groups put out a song I like.

Side note: Maa's acting here is really good. She looks like she could pull off a crazy bitch role with ease.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

1st day on Oricon @ #3 with 71,605 sold

1. NEWS

2. MONSTA X

3. Morning Musume. '19

<a class="" href="https://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/d/2019 ... -06-11/</a>
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

My MV Review : BORING!
They just tacked on solo shots before and after for Jinsei Blues. 

For Seishun Night, Chisaki fans got a bit more of a treat. The ending dance was cute. I'd like a whole video of Chisaki just dancing in VR glasses. It was rather adorable. And I'm not a Chisaki fan. 
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="JPope"]
Just watched Seshun Night for the first time, and it seems they've found a way to make classic MM funk boring. The intro is bad-ass, and the first line of the chorus tricks you into thinking you're about to get rewarded for putting up with the MM-by-numbers verse, but by the fourth bar it's clear you've been had. Quoting the "woah-oo woah" from One Two Three just feels cheap to me, and I usually dig call-backs to classic tracks. Damn. I like the last chorus to the end of the video when all of the girls appear to be genuinely having fun.
[/quote]

I'm one of the few people who likes Seishun Night but you're 100% that it's a huge bait and switch.  It devolves so quickly from some much needed old school MM funk into the current, typical, TIRED arrangement they've already beaten to death lmao.  It's a frustrating listening experience.

MM keep getting good chart numbers, makes me wonder where the money goes since it's clearly not being spent on their videos or concerts...
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

I actually think Jinsei Blues is really catchy, but I'm getting tired of there being so much unison.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Farrah"]

MM keep getting good chart numbers, makes me wonder where the money goes since it's clearly not being spent on their videos or concerts...

[/quote]

It's funny you mention this, because I have thoughts regarding their sales numbers that I'm either going to blog or vlog about. tl;dr: the numbers are good, but the trend is not.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Morning Musume were on J-Melo and performed Seishun Night. 
Includes the talk and subtitles. Yay~
https://youtu.be/1sE-GSFP6gs
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.