[2019.11.20] ANGERME - Watashi wo Tsukeru no wa Watashi / Zenzen Okiagarenai SUNDAY

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Zange
つばきファクトリー

Re: [2019.11.20] ANGERME - Watashi wo Tsukeru no wa Watashi / Zenzen Okiagarenai SUNDAY

Post by Zange »

So far this single is checking all the boxes for me, and I have a feeling that once SUNDAY's PV comes out that it's going to be at the top of my list of 2019 H!P.

I hope Angerme continues this trend of these song styles they haven't really done before because so far I'm loving it.
Now, what you hear is not a test
 -  -  -  
DonJuan
ANGERME

Re: [2019.11.20] ANGERME - Watashi wo Tsukeru no wa Watashi / Zenzen Okiagarenai SUNDAY

Post by DonJuan »

This is really well done. So even H!P is capable of doing a modern, high-class MV.
Also, Take is on fire. Damn.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

An H!P video??? With decent art direction??? lmao this never happens.  Admittedly, I could sure do without all the flashing text overlays but god knows that's one of H!P's go-to mechanisms.  

I like this song!  The instrumental is something very un-H!P but the vocal melody is pure Tsunku to the bones.  It's fun to see them do something different, I only wish their voices were a bit more mature.  Kind of a weird decision to give them a song like this right after adding a bunch of kids to the group, haha. 

I could so easily imagine C-ute doing this song in their later days (and I probably would like it a bit more with Airi and Chisato's voices, not gonna lie lol). Or even Platinum era Momusu alongside songs like Nakidasu Kamo Shirenai yo. I'm surprised they gave this to ANGERME instead of Juice=Juice, but I'll take it.  This is good enough to make up for the other song being painfully boring.

On a shallower note, Rikako is really growing up to be painfully beautiful, ugh.  Her and Mizuki look so great here.
Last edited by Farrah on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smtmissin
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by smtmissin »

Sunday would be barely above average if sung by another group, but Angerme makes it so captivating in a very Angerme kind of way.  This is on the same level as C-ute's Summer Wind in my ranking. The last part is ingenious, I can't take my eyes of Rikako. I can't imagine this group without Rikako, Mizuki, Moe, Akari. I like Kana's voice, it's a shame she isn't given more lines. I just can't warm up to the recently added 4 members (including Ayano). They just don't have that vibe unique to the group. I fear so much for the future of the group.

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

The video is really damn good. I dig this arrangement of a classic Tsunku composition. I would have loved to see later-day C-ute murder this song.
Zange
つばきファクトリー

Post by Zange »

I just got a chance to watch the full MV. Who let the company make an MV that was that good??? Seriously, I need to know who directed that because if it's someone new then I hope they stay on for a long time.

Also I appreciated the dance break very much.
Now, what you hear is not a test
 -  -  -  
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I like the opening but I kinda hate the chorus haha.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I really like both the song and the video. I got such C-ute vibes from this. I’m nervous about the future of the group but I think they’ll be ok
Formerly Mizura
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Yessssssssssss when this showed up in my sub box I was like "might as well watch it" and like 30 seconds in I WAS HOOKED. This is a solid song, MV, dance and performance from Angerme. And of course Tsunku's lyrics and rhythm was just such a perfect match this time. The lyric "Bakako-chan" will seriously live down in H!P history for me lololol
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

This debuted at #1 with 54,950. They’re at 1 again on day 2, bringing them to 62k. It’s officially their best selling single regardless of what they sell for the rest of the week. They’re pretty far ahead of the rest of the songs too so it will probably be their first ever weekly #1 which would be a nice send off for Kana.
Last edited by Anderei on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<div>First day's sales have out-paced the first week's sales of each of their previous singles, and reverses their trend of not sustaining 50K+ sales over multiple releases. And not merely sustaining it, but destroying it: this has a good shot at breaking 70K. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>I'm really happy for the girls, but I'm baffled as to what it was about this single that would push it so far ahead of the 45K-55K sweet-spot established over 5-and-a-half years. Personally, I'd rank this right in the middle of the pack of their catalog.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Also, as much as I like SUNDAY, wtf is up with the distorted vocals on bars 3-4 and 7-8 of the choruses? It's distracting and unnecessarily ugly.</div>
Last edited by JPope on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="219100" data-time="1574381638">

I'm really happy for the girls, but I'm baffled as to what it was about this single that would push it so far ahead of the 45K-55K sweet-spot established over 5-and-a-half years. Personally, I'd rank this right in the middle of the pack of their catalog.

.</blockquote>

Same reason any H!P single does unusually well. Tons of events.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Have they never done such promotion for Angerme in the past?
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

They have but I saw people on Twitter saying this single had a lot more than usual. I don’t know the specific numbers myself.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I know the release event I went to they did 2 in the same day (mini live and handshake event), and there were about 600 people at each live, and I definitely saw fans purchasing more than 1 CD, the guy in front of me got 8, so I can imagine that sales are inflated by stuff like that. They also did one at Sunshine City the day before that but I’m not sure if they were selling CD since it was the day before the release date. They’re doing more throughout the week.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I thought Oricon made changes to account for mass purchases at events.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Most groups have already found a way around that. I guess this is why b-sides are coming back: Different content counts as different purchases.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I think this is also their first weekly #1 ever! Happy for them!
rikako♡eripon♡airi
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

From the latest Upcoming (#169), see the guitar tracks being recorded for "Watashi wo Tsukuru no wa Watashi". If you find yourself getting bored by the basic rhythm track, at least skip ahead to the part (33:15) where he doubles the part and adds the squeals to see him pull a lick that kills the Recording Director and engineer. My reaction was exactly the same, lol.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Watashi wo Tsukeru no wa Watashi / Zenzen Okiagarenai SUNDAY has been certified Gold by RIAJ for selling more than 100,000 copies. This is ANGERME's first single to do so.
Last edited by DonJuan on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.