[2020.02.26] PINK CRES. - 2nd Single "Roulette" - Major Debut

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

JPope
ANGERME

[2020.02.26] PINK CRES. - 2nd Single "Roulette" - Major Debut

Post by JPope »

Yuuka tweeted this out earlier today. PINK CRES will make their major debut on Sony Records with the single "Roulette" on Feb 26th, 2020.

I'm happy for the girls, but this probably means the end of their activities at H!P events, which kind of sucks. It's an opportunity they really can't pass up, though. I hope Sony pushes their whimsical side more than their serious side, because that's where they really excel and stand out, IMO.
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Re: [2020.02.26] PINK CRES. - 2nd Single "Roulette" - Major Debut

Post by TheParuProject »

Have they really been doing ANY H!P events? They've not been guests at a Harocon or anything. (Well, Miyabi has.) They did the Buono! concerts, but I don't know if those even technically count as H!P events.

That being said, I'm really happy for them, but also worried. Up Front groups slow WAY down after major debuts for some reason.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="TheParuProject"]
Have they really been doing ANY H!P events? They've not been guests at a Harocon or anything. (Well, Miyabi has.) They did the Buono! concerts, but I don't know if those even technically count as H!P events.

That being said, I'm really happy for them, but also worried. Up Front groups slow WAY down after major debuts for some reason.
[/quote]

I thought they had been showing up at a few events, but if not, I stand corrected.

And I literally just tweeted this out a half hour ago: "I'm excited and scared to see what Sony will do with them."  :lol:
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

Tracklist:

01. Roulette

02. Egoistic (エゴイスティック)

03. GIRLS PRIDE (reg A)

BLACK OUT (reg B)

Think over (reg C)

4-6: instrumentals

Limited edition features only the first 2 tracks & their instrumentals + DVD featuring Roulette PV.

GIRLS PRIDE and BLACK OUT were supposed to be on their "postponed" mini album, so it's good that they're getting that material out. GIRLS PRIDE actually previewed on the radio more than a year ago, so here's that for anyone who missed it: https://mobile.twitter.com/MimiChama/status/1082749100150480898
Vikitty
ANGERME

Post by Vikitty »

PV preview. I'm obsessed. 

https://youtu.be/Hxd_M1d7aIA?t=1934
HOLD UP! I'M A GEEK THE BIG PARADOX!
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I guess waiting so long for Pink Cres really worked out. This is pretty well done, and even though I think that sometimes the vocal effects are overdone it's a great song as well.

Let's hope they won't let it fall like Lovendor.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

First off, the song is awesome. This neo-swing fits PC perfectly, and ironically enough, would have made a great C-ute track had they decided to carry on activities. The chorus didn't really grab me the first time I listened, but that might be because It was through laptop speakers, which brings me to the one major problem: the vocal production. Seriously, what the fuck, mate? I'll get into this in more detail when I blog it, but it's frustrating, because the song and video are really good. 

Also, if they don't release a special PINK CRES deck of cards to sell at concerts, they need a new promotions guy.
Last edited by JPope on Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farrah
ANGERME

Post by Farrah »

[quote="JPope"]
First off, the song is awesome. This neo-swing fits PC perfectly, and ironically enough, would have made a great C-ute track had they decided to carry on activities. The chorus didn't really grab me the first time I listened, but that might be because It was through laptop speakers, which brings me to the one major problem: the vocal production. Seriously, what the fuck, mate? I'll get into this in more detail when I blog it, but it's frustrating, because the song and video are really good. 

Also, if they don't release a special PINK CRES deck of cards to sell at concerts, they need a new promotions guy.
[/quote]

LOL a friend messaged me this video just to ask why the vocal production was so shitty.  It really is ridiculously bad.  Almost ruins the song which is a big shame. 

The video looks great and I swear to god that hall with the checkerboard tile and red curtains is a century-long staple of mid/low budget jpop videos haha.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

I was alright for me, but Kobayashi's talk-singing kept reminding me of other Jpop songs.... I couldn't quite place it on just one song, but sort of a blend of (old school) Momoiro and some 2010-ish anime ops/eds lol. I ended up finding myself trying to see what it reminded me of, and getting frustrated with the song in the process lol.

But I think without that factor, I would generally like it as a song.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Here's what I wrote about the vocal mix in my blog post:

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">
So why does it sound like the vocals were mixed by a half-deaf chimpanzee? Nearly every line sits too far back in the mix, some to the point of being completely subsumed by the music. Take Hikaru's rap during the intro: the opening "Let's get started!" and closing "Three. Two. One. Go" stand out, but only because they happen during music drop-outs. Everything in between sounds like a conversation in a hurricane. The vocal mix on the verses aren't so bad -- although they're not great -- but they fight for frequency-range primacy against the strings and horns during the choruses, and Hikaru's pre-bridge rap is almost totally lost in a similar battle. 
<div> </div>
<div>To make matters worse, almost every effect used on the vocals is a failure. The bit-crushing distortion on Miyabi's first lines make no sense in an establishing verse and only serve to clutter the mix. As if to rub it in your face, the distortion is strangely removed at the drop-out, which is the very place it might have actually worked. </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Yuuka's line leading into the first chorus is tuned hard, and I can't tell if it was meant to be for effect or not, because it only covers the first two notes. It's not as prominent the second time around, so my guess is they just yanked her into tune because they had to. Then again, the vocal mix is such a plugged-toilet that it might honestly have been for effect. Who knows?! None of it makes any sense, and i's absolutely ridiculous that this got mastered and released.

</div>
</blockquote>
<div> </div>
<div>I've listened to the song enough times that I'm now used to the vocal mix, and while still I don't like it, I'm kind of over it. This is a really good song and a fun video.</div>
Last edited by JPope on Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

I think the vocal mixing/effects was really off-putting too! 
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

So basically you guys are itching to hear a live ver? hahaha
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I also thought it sounded strange. It made me not like the song.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]
So basically you guys are itching to hear a live ver? hahaha
[/quote]

Honestly, yeah, lol. 
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

So the full single finally found its way to the torrents my ears, and I'm fully obsessed. The B-sides are all REALLY good. Roulette is easily my least favorite track. I definitely recommend everyone to listen to the single.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Oh, thanks for the reminder! *gets*

EDIT: 

Upon first listen, I digging it. I wish "Roulette" had been mixed as well as the other four songs.
Last edited by JPope on Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheParuProject
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by TheParuProject »

I don't like Roulette at all. But I bet I would if the mix wasn't total garbage. The production for the rest of the single is perfectly fine, and very much what I expect PINK CRES. to sound like.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Sorry for the necro-bump, but I fixed Roulette.