[2020.12.16] Morning Musume.'20 69th Single - Junjou Evidence / Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

DonJuan
ANGERME

[2020.12.16] Morning Musume.'20 69th Single - Junjou Evidence / Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni

Post by DonJuan »

Profile pictures: [spoilerbox]

Image[/spoilerbox]

Announced on their instagram. http://www.helloproject.com/morningmusume/release/detail/EPCE-7600/
As a reminder, they performed Junjou Evidence on TV some time ago.

• Junjou Evidence (純情エビデンス; Pure Evidence)
Lyrics, Composition: Tsunku
Arrangement: Hirata Shoichiro

• Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni (ギューされたいだけなのに; But I Just Want to be Held Tightly)
Lyrics, Composition: Tsunku
Arrangement: Okubo Kaoru

Covers:
[spoilerbox]
Lim A

Lim B

Lim SP

Reg A

Reg B
[/spoilerbox]
Last edited by DonJuan on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Re: [2020.12.16] Morning Musume.'20 69th Single - Junjou Evidence / Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni

Post by Anderei »

Only 6 weeks huh? Pretty short time for a single these days. Most are 8-12 weeks now since I guess it boosts sales.

I like the color theme in the second photo even if I only really like maybe two or three outfits.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Re: [2020.12.16] Morning Musume.'20 69th Single - Junjou Evidence / Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni

Post by Zoe »

It's about time
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="DonJuan"]
As a reminder, they performed Junjou Evidence on TV some time ago.
[/quote]

Thanks for this, as I had not yet heard it.

I'd bet real money that the intro to this is straight off a sample pack, lol! I'm not a fan of the half-time verse, or the bro-step elements, as they've been done to death by now.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I'll be honest, I have no high hopes for the second song, since I usually dislike the Tsunku/Okubo combo. I wouldn't even be mad if they used a sample pack because that at least made K&K stand out in their EDM discography.

(Also, could some mod/admin change the title? I was too quick at copying it from H!O, the second song should be romanized as "Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni".)
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I will judge it when I see the PV’s.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="DonJuan" data-cid="221183" data-time="1604154245">
(Also, could some mod/admin change the title? I was too quick at copying it from H!O, the second song should be romanized as "Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni".)</blockquote>
Done!
Last edited by momoirosaya on Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rikako♡eripon♡airi
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I forgot how forgettable Junjou Evidence was.

A little off topic but I do hope that Tsunku eventually gets to meet and connect with the newer members. His lack of connection with the new girls is becoming really telling in the last few singles.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
A little off topic but I do hope that Tsunku eventually gets to meet and connect with the newer members. His lack of connection with the new girls is becoming really telling in the last few singles.
[/quote]

I'd be cool with ending the requirement that every MM single include a Tsunku song for this very reason. Up Front has a solid stable of songwriters that are all probably more in tune with the current groups than Tsunku, who's living a thousand miles away in Hawaii, and obviously more into his creator's salon than H!P. H!P didn't curl up and die with Tsunku's departure, and in many ways, blossomed with new musical perspectives. I personally view 2016 - 2019 as a second Golden Era for H!P, and while Tsunku is always a threat to produce a classic song, the greatness of that run had little to do with him.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

Nice.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

[quote="JPope"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Shoujo Q" data-cid="221188" data-time="1604175216">
<div>
[/quote]

I'd be cool with ending the requirement that every MM single include a Tsunku song for this very reason. Up Front has a solid stable of songwriters that are all probably more in tune with the current groups than Tsunku, who's living a thousand miles away in Hawaii, and obviously more into his creator's salon than H!P. H!P didn't curl up and die with Tsunku's departure, and in many ways, blossomed with new musical perspectives. I personally view 2016 - 2019 as a second Golden Era for H!P, and while Tsunku is always a threat to produce a classic song, the greatness of that run had little to do with him.

</div>
</blockquote>

I get that, but I mean, it would help overall for him to get to know the new girls, maybe through his salon and it would help him get a better feel with future songs he decides to do. Because it's obvious his connection to the group is never going to be severed. While other songwriters are slowly getting added into the Musume pool and I've loved that, Tsunku is still pretty much there and it's pretty obvious UF wants to keep it that way. I really felt that with K&K, that it was such a phoned in Musume song and I'm feeling that with Junjou Evidence too. I'm worried Gyuusaretai Dake na no ni will be just as forgettable. So if they want to continue their Musume/Tsunku relationship, he needs to get to know these new girls. Especially the new girls, there is just so much untapped potential brewing in the 15th generation.  
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

Doesn’t he just write whatever type of song UFP requests? I could have sworn that’s how it works. Plus, even though they bring new writers, the arrangers are still mostly the same handful of people and they play a huge role in how a song turns out.
Last edited by Anderei on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I agree that Tsunku getting to know the girls would be a good thing for all the reasons you mention. I don't think he cares, though. I thinks it's just become a thing that he does because it's a thing that he has always done, and he is quite literally E-MAILING songs in at this point. I can't remember the last time Tsunku tweeted about anything H!P related. He's fully immersed in his creator's salon, which is awesome, tbh. I'm glad that he's found another thing to be so passionate about, but that thing isn't MM anymore, and it hasn't been for a long time. I think UF is smart enough to know that the only way that Tsunku stops being MM's primary songwriter is if Tsunku himself decides to stop, because that would be a PR nightmare with the most loyal fans. I also think UF is itself loyal to a fault, and would let Tsunku carry on writing for MM for as long as he wants in any event, based on the fact that H!P wouldn't exist without him.

So yeah, Tsunku knowing what makes each girl tick would definitely help his MM songwriting. How many stories are there of him writing lyrics based on overhearing a conversation between MM members? When is the last time anyone talked about the lyrics of a new Tsunku-penned MM song, and how he "totally understands how girls think?" Beats me. I think writing for MM has mostly become a steady paycheck for him, with maybe a little nostalgia tossed in. Which is fine, honestly -- if anyone has earned it, it's Tsunku. I don't think he'll stop writing for them anytime soon, but I think we've reached the point where it might be a good thing for MM if he did.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Time for Morning Musume to finally get a Takui song?? 

I can wish...
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Junjou Evidence preview on HaroSute today.

Hectic parking lot dancing. Should I put a warning for sensory overload for this?

Also, considering what they did with Tsubaki, I don't expect we're gonna see the full version until the single comes out, so more than a month from now.
Last edited by DonJuan on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

YouTube counts on Oricon now but I’m no sure of the requirements to unlock that so who knows when they will release the MV.
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

It’s fine I guess. All of they’re songs for the last few years have all sounded the same. Duu’s graduation single back in 2017 (!!) was the last single I really liked from MM...
rikako♡eripon♡airi
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
YouTube counts on Oricon now but I’m no sure of the requirements to unlock that so who knows when they will release the MV.
[/quote]

Interesting. I imagine they'll be holding all videos back to maximize views during release weeks. I wonder if we're working toward full embargos of songs -- zero previews -- until release date? I wouldn't hate that, tbh, as it would be kind of a throw-back to the way songs were released when I was a kid.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Obligatory "SNORE" comment from me
WonderBuono
ANGERME

Post by WonderBuono »

Yeah I'm not feeling this one at all.
<p style="text-align:right;">MORNING MUSUMESUZUKI AIRIJUICE=JUICE ◆ TWICEBLACKPINK ITZYNIZIU
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Those covers are... not great.

I like the MV for the most part. The video effects are pretty cool, and fit the song well. But they really couldn't find a better location than a parking lot for the outside shots?
Last edited by JPope on Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Oh boy what is that SP cover. I thought we already moved to a better quality by now. Sad to see I was wrong.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I said this on JPlop but I’ll elaborate here.

From the looks of it they probably only had so many photos to work with and to keep costs down, because I have a feeling they are going to be taking a big loss on this single compared to previous Morning Musume singles thanks to Covid, they decided to only use very limited resources when making the covers. It’s seeing the trend of other H!P singles without their major ticket draw of handshakes and deciding to hold back on their funds in places they can control. And that’s why I think the covers look like a five minute hack job.

As for the MV, yeah they probably couldn’t afford much with two music videos needing to be shot. They again, probably went with the cheapest option. Parking lots are cheaper I guess?

I would have added a b-side to this single to give it more legs to move but that’s just my humble opinion.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Oh yeah, that does make sense.
I just... uh. Personally I'd be ashamed to publish something like the Lim SP or Normal A edition as one of the biggest idol companies in all of Japan. It's ugly. It's on the same level of the graphics I did 15 years ago in fucking gimp - not even in photoshop.
They could have cut down on the effects in Junjou's MV and invested more in the covers.

Now we're back to "Up Front doesn't actually care about quality as long as fans buy their rushed releases". Guess the other groups only have slightly better covers because they still have to promote them contrary to MM.

/EDIT: Aaaaaaand, the MV is out. Pretty fast this time.
Last edited by DonJuan on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zoe
こぶしファクトリー

Post by Zoe »

I was fooled by the formation--Mizuki and Miki(!) got the second verse, not Maria and Rio.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

I actually sort of like the SP cover but Regular A is the worst. Overall though a major idol agency like H!P should have better covers than this. There’s many underground idols who have better covers and they’re working with less of a budget too
Formerly Mizura
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I don't hate the Reg B cover. I think it'd be good with better (read: more natural) poses. Lim B would be instantly better with photo gutters, or some other element to separate the photos. Lim A has the germ of a good idea, but it's like a rough draft that hasn't been fleshed-out, much less refined. I think all three of these could be good with more work.

Reg A and SP are a pair of plugged-toilets, though.
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

Looks like they spent less time/money on editing the photos, too... I mean, they look more realistic here, but not as "flawless" as they usually do. 

Miki looks like she just got done crying in Lim B

ETA: It's just sad that 15ki had a pretty good debut single, and have to immediately have it followed up by this. And if I were an older member I'd be so over the half-assed songs. It's like, why bother? Especially if you're thinking you won't get handshake sales, wouldn't you want to put out the most musically-interesting song you could to try to pick up more sales from non-fans or casual fans? Even the choreo of this song is soooooo blehhhh.
Last edited by TicTacAnyone on Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honey
Juice=Juice

Post by honey »

lol felt compelled to come out of lurking just to post about how disappointing and bad this release is. Maybe the other track will be better (the styling is cute, at least) but I'm pretty much out of hope for MM entirely at this point. It just feels like for years on end now they've been recycling the same two-piece angular silver spandex outfits, same outdated synth pop arrangements, same dance choreography elements with like the random awkward jumping in place, hand moves, circular spinning formations during the instrumental/bridge part before the final chorus... jeez.

It's completely understandable if there was a budget issue due to the pandemic, but so far the company has responded to this with some new innovative ways-- by h!p standards, anyway-- to grow their online engagement to supplement the lack of in-person events, so I'm having difficulty rationalizing the sheer lack of any creative direction for MM as simply a financial issue. I agree with TicTac's disappointment for 15ki; why even bother to bring on this new generation of interesting, talented and earnest girls just to stuff them into the most characterless formulaic releases to date?

(edit: yeah thinking about this more, although I realize they have the backing of a monster Korean label with the competition to draw in interest, a group like NiziU manages to capture the individual personalities of their members in not a particularly ~*~innovative~*~ MV with a decently catchy debut song with tight but not overly-complex choreo, and make it to no. 2 on Japan's Hot 100 with literally only digital sales/streams and no in-person events... there's just no excuse for h!p here)

they really need to throw out some of these internal oldheads and graduate at least half of these girls who have been phoning it in for a long time now, and make room for some new industry innovators and allow the girls who still have enthusiasm left for being an idol to shine a little bit more. I would have liked to seen a MM with Masaki leading and also being able to give some creative input on the group-- she was really outspokenly passionate about that at earlier into her career. wah.
Last edited by honey on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.