Songs of 2021 - Ranking!

In which we chat about Hello! Project. And TNX. And Nice Girl Project. Yup.

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Solarblade
ANGERME

Songs of 2021 - Ranking!

Post by Solarblade »

I guess it should be time to revive this since we've all had a basically year-long break from the site :P.....Glad to be back! Since most of the year went by without discussion, let's talk about it!!!!!!

Morning Musume '21

- Aishite Nan ga Warui!?
- Shinjiru Shika!
- TIME IS MONEY!
- Nakimushi My Dream
- Futari wa Abekobe
- Kono Mama!
- Hey! Unfair Baby
- Renai Destiny ~Honne wo Ronjitai~
- Teenage Solution
- Yoshi Yoshi Shite Hoshii no
- Beat no Wakusei
- Joshi Kashimashi Monogatari (Morning Musume '21 Ver.)

ANGERME

- Hakkiri Shiyouze
- Oyogenai Mermaid
- Aisare Route A or B?
- SHAKA SHAKA #2 LOVE (Colorful Life Hen)

Juice=Juice

- DOWN TOWN
- Ganbare nai yo
- Ganbare nai yo (Solo Ver.)'s
- Plastic Love
- Familia
- Future Smile

Tsubaki Factory

- Masayume
- Ai wa Ima, Ai wa Motometeru
- Saijoukyuu Story
- Hikari no Curtain
- Dakara Nannanda!
- Tarinai Mono Umeteyuku Tabi
- Namida no Heroine Kouban Geki
- Garukuta DIAMOND
- Yakusoku Renraku Kinenbi

BEYOOOOONDS

- Gekikara LOVE
- Now Now Ningen
- Konna Hazujanakatta!
- Vitamin ME
- Yabai Koi no Yaiba
- Watashi to Odorinasai!
- Ninenmae no Yokohama Eki Nishiguchi
- Furefure Everyday

OCHA NORMA

- Mistake

Kenshuusei

- Kimi no Toujou
- Warui Hito
- Upside down girl
- Zettai Idol Sengen
- Jounetsu Sparkle
- Bukatsu Owari ni Atarashii Jersey ni Kigaeru Otomegokoro
- Animal Land
- Omotesandou A5
- Hankouki! feat. Ishiguri Kanami
- Twilight Blue
- Irotoridori Nobi yo!!

Other

- Kiseki no Kaori Dance. (Solo Fes. Version) / Yuhane Yamazaki
- Extra / Mizuki Fukumura
- Chikyuu wa Kyou mo Ai wo Hagakumu / Momona Kasahara
- Anata wo Omou Kaerimichi / Tomoko Kanazawa
- Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa / Masaki Sato

So let's hear them opinions!!!
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Re: Songs of 2021 - Ranking!

Post by arcobaleno »

This really puts into perspective how out of the loop I've been. :hahaha:

BUT out of what I've heard on this list, here's what had me jammin' -

1. DOWN TOWN - J=J (So bummed it's not on Apple Music!!!!!!!!!!!!)
2. Oyogenai Mermaid - ANGERME
3. Garakuta DIAMOND - TF (Yuumi and Runo make this song for me)
4. Ganbarenai yo - Riai Solo Ver. (My favorite, I just love her voice)
5. Plastic Love - J=J
6. Beat no Wakusei - MM. '21
7. Ganbarenai yo - J=J
8. Hey! Unfair Baby - MM. '21
9. Teenage Solution - MM. '21

And these others I've heard but wasn't really super into, so I'm glomping them together:
Yoshi Yoshi Shite Hoshii no - MM. '21
Familia - J=J
Future Smile - J=J
Namida no Heroine Kouban Geki - TF
Yakusoku Renraku Kinenbi - TF

I'll have to give the others a listen sometime.
Last edited by arcobaleno on Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

I did a live radio countdown my top-20 shortly after midnight on New Years Day on my zeno.fm station, and precisely zero people tuned in! :lol: (More on that station to come, possibly this weekend). While it was a disappointing year overall, the top half of this list is strong enough to hang with the best of most previous years, IMO.

1. Konna Hazu ja Nakatta! - Beyooooonds
2. Aisare Route A or B? - Angerme
3. Furefure Everyday - Beyooooonds
4. Masayume - Tsubaki Factory
5. Ren'ai Destiny ~Hon'ne Wo Ronjitai~ - Morning Musume
6. Tarinai Mono Umete Yuku Tabi - Tsubaki Factory
7. Future Smile - Juice=Juice
8. Teenage Solution - Morning Musume
9. Kono Mama! - Morning Musume
10. Ai Wa Ima, Ai Wo Motometeru - Tsubaki Factory
11. Shinjiru Shika! - Morning Musume
12. Namida no Heroine Koubangeki - Tsubaki Factory
13. Aishite Nan Ga Warui! - Morning Musume
14. Garakuta Diamond - Tsubaki Factory
15. TIME IS MONEY! - Morning Musume
16. Ganbarenai yo - Juice=Juice
17. Ninenmae no Yokohama Eki Nishiguchi - BYNDS/CHICA#TESTSU
18. Watashi to Odorinasai! - Beyooooonds/SeasoningS
19. Downtown - Juice=Juice
20. Yakusoku-Renraku-Kinenbi - Tsubaki Factory

MM and TF dominated with strong album tracks, but when Beyooooonds is good, they're tough to beat. Anju's "Aisare Route A or B?" is a heater that's right up my alley, but it's closer to 3rd than it is to 1st for me.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I stuck with the major groups for my two cents.

Morning Musume '21-They managed to stay relevant for me with a killer album but their single was okay but overall they were my favorite group this year for song releases.

- Aishite Nan ga Warui!? As far as album openers go, wasn’t my favorite but my Apple Music says otherwise as it’s my most played Morning song for last year. XD
- Shinjiru Shika! - I liked this song only because I thought it might perform well in concert. I liked the instrumental for this. It was very different.
- TIME IS MONEY! - I think I was expecting more from this when I saw who was singing it. It’s good but, maybe I hyped it too much for myself.
- Nakimushi My Dream Typical slow song. It’s a good placement for it. But I only listen to it half the time it’s on.
- Futari wa Abekobe - I call this Shaba Daba Do~‘s little half sister. I’m not crazy right?
- Kono Mama! - My song of the year! After they performed it at Hinafest I knew I liked it! I still do.
- Hey! Unfair Baby - I much prefer the album version to the concert version.
- Renai Destiny ~Honne wo Ronjitai~ - Another banger. I liked it! Honestly it grew on me.

Overall the Album was my favorite H!P release of the year.

- Teenage Solution - The knock almost made drive off the road. I like the song but that stupid knock is so off putting. Why!!!??
- Yoshi Yoshi Shite Hoshii no - Something about it I don’t care for. I do like the instrumental.
- Beat no Wakusei - my favorite of the single. I like the funk driven fun songs. It’s a personal preference.
- Joshi Kashimashi Monogatari (Morning Musume '21 Ver.) Glad they got this in before Masaki left. Now to put it to bed till the next generation joins.

ANGERME - imagine a house cat that’s been living on the streets for a couple of years and someone’s been putting food out to coax it back inside. That’s what’s happening with me and Angerme. With the majority of the weight off the group I disliked and new interesting blood taking over. I’m slowly coming back into the fold.

- Hakkiri Shiyouze -s’okay I liked the MV
- Oyogenai Mermaid - is this Angerme’s As For One Day? Feels like almost the same set in the MV.
- Aisare Route A or B? It was good but not my style of music.
- SHAKA SHAKA #2 LOVE (Colorful Life Hen)bleh. I liked the first one better.

Juice=Juice - Such a letdown. :( I loved the covers but overall it’s just. I want to whine. They lost their identity in 2021 and that’s hard to do. It’s frustrating. I feel like I’m in the S/mileage stages again after Saki and Yuuka left. That was hard.

- DOWN TOWN / Plastic Love - I like covers! I don’t like covers because they rarely show up on Apple Music.
- Ganbare nai yo-MEH!!!!! Meh I say!
- Ganbare nai yo (Solo Ver.)'s Ruru’s was good. <_< (still bitter)
- Familia - I honestly can’t remember if I played this whole song through and if I did I promptly
- Future Smile - I really enjoyed it. Arisawa’s violin playing was fun. But I hate gimic Songs. At least Beyooooonds can own it.

Tsubaki Factory - I’ve put this group onto a pedestal because the talent they have brewing in their next generation is note worthy. I enjoyed the 2nd album and the single wasn’t a complete flop.

- Masayume- This feels like they were going to give this to Angerme but at the last moment we’re like, nah give it to Tsubaki! Yumeno does an amazing job of it.
- Ai wa Ima, Ai wa Motometeru- It’s a fine filler album song but I feel like it will be forgettable after awhile. Might make for a good concert song.
- Saijoukyuu Story- When I first heard this it was like, who is this group? It doesn’t feel H!P or Tsubaki but overall it’s a good song and it showcases really how far the group has come together vocally but again it’s not something I’m going to listen too everyday.
- Hikari no Curtain- it’s a slow song so it’s not really something I gravitate towards. But I honestly always skip.
- Dakara Nannanda!- this song is so my style of crazy. It even got me liking Kisora. It’s my most played song by Tsubaki last year. I’m a girl of simple (crazy) tastes. Haha.
- Tarinai Mono Umeteyuku Tabi- It’s a good ending song for an album and it reminded me of something Kobushi would have gotten maybe.
- Namida no Heroine Kouban Geki- I’m here for funk! I hate the MV so really didn’t vibe with this song at first. But I’ve found it’s such a good driving song. And it’s my favorite of the new single.
- Garukuta DIAMOND - The opening, again with the Angerme feelings! Vocally they pulled it off. But it kind doesn’t get all my love and support.
- Yakusoku Renraku Kinenbi- it was at this point I decided I they are experimenting with Tsubaki. This sounds more like them but they shoved the song at the end of the single. It really didn’t draw me in till like the halfway mark but it’s okay? This song works so much better live in concert.

BEYOOOOONDS - I am very Beyooooonds biased so I like everything they do. But their lack of activity really made me upset.

- Gekikara LOVE -I love it only because I liked the original so I’m bias. XD
- Now Now Ningen - This was okay but not my favorite of their releases. It was a rehash of Nippon DNA.
- Konna Hazujanakatta! - This was like my JAM in the beginning of 2021 and it’s got such a great MV too. The lyrics, the song, everything about it was great. I can’t fluff it up anymore. Heh.
- Vitamin ME- Does this count as 2021? Go listen to Sakura Saku by Megumi Hayashibara and then come back to me and tell me that opening isn’t in this song. I do love it though but it’s not 2021. XD
- Yabai Koi no Yaiba- Man, this was another amazing song. The opening. And then the execution. Don’t tell Seasonings, but Ame no Mori Kawa Umi is up there as like, my favorite.
- Watashi to Odorinasai!- Another banger. But this song is killing me because it reminds me of something and it’s in like a tickle in the back of the brain. I want to say Sweet MAGIC, by Magical Sweets (Opening to Sasami: Magical Girls Club) but that’s like a fleeting thought.
- Ninenmae no Yokohama Eki Nishiguchi- My least favorite of the whole shabang and that’s like not even that bad. They managed to make a song sound like you’re riding on a train. So that alone makes it a winner overall. It’s also got a bit of that 90s feel too.
- Furefure Everyday- This song was like a sip of water when your parched. I miss Beyooooonds music.

I really want Beyooooonds to get an anime song tie-in. They are just oozing the anime feels and I’m bummed UF don’t seem to have those type of connections anymore.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Shoujo Q wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:49 am Juice=Juice - Such a letdown. :( I loved the covers but overall it’s just. I want to whine. They lost their identity in 2021 and that’s hard to do. It’s frustrating. I feel like I’m in the S/mileage stages again after Saki and Yuuka left. That was hard.
I've been wondering if what happened to J=J is what triggered my 4-month absence from H!P. I still get angry when I think about what they did to Sayubee. :lol: But really, losing 3/5 of the OGs in under a year -- and replacing them with three girls who don't seem to fit the original vibe of the group -- really sapped my energy for J=J. They're not the Avengers anymore, they're just another H!P group, and that bums me out a little. Releasing two mediocre singles didn't help, either.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

That didn’t help but also the stagnant parade of releases really didn’t help either. It was one thing after another.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I waited until I could get back to my computer for my ranking because ugh, mobile is exhausting for long posts (but I guess I'm just old).
Aaaand for that - I'm going to bring back my colour system!

(Love / Like / Okay / Meh / No)

Morning Musume '21

- Aishite Nan ga Warui!?
- Shinjiru Shika!
- TIME IS MONEY!
- Nakimushi My Dream
- Futari wa Abekobe
- Kono Mama!
- Hey! Unfair Baby
- Renai Destiny ~Honne wo Ronjitai~
- Teenage Solution
- Yoshi Yoshi Shite Hoshii no
- Beat no Wakusei
- Joshi Kashimashi Monogatari (Morning Musume '21 Ver.)

I'm probably the only person to not like the MM album, but we had that talk before, their current style just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's because I don't really feel the group anymore. Weirdly enough I liked the single quite a bit.
As a JKM fan I can't say I dislike this version, but all the pauses kinda threw me off. And... could we please get a completely different arrangement? It's still the original one with a bit more bass and the pauses lmao.

ANGERME

- Hakkiri Shiyouze
- Oyogenai Mermaid
- Aisare Route A or B?
- SHAKA SHAKA #2 LOVE (Colorful Life Hen)

I actually liked Shaka 2 :ph34r: It's not as great as the first one of course, but still good. Oyogenai mermaid was always just a lackluster for me, and I didn't even remember the melody to Hakkiri Shiyouze when I started this post. Aisare Route however is right up my alley. In general a mixed year for Anju.

Juice=Juice

- DOWN TOWN
- Ganbare nai yo
- Ganbare nai yo (Solo Ver.)'s
- Plastic Love
- Familia
- Future Smile

I didn't listen to the solo versions bc at that point I was still angry about Sayuki :ph34r: and I don't like ballads, so Ganbare nai yo and Familia already had a bad standing. Plastic Love is decent, but the original is better. Future Smile is my favourite release of Juice this year, even though the Engrish really throws me off. Get future smile? Make biggest smile? It's 2021, H!P had members who were quite decent at English - in Juice=Juice even! Don't they have anyone who checks the lyrics?

Tsubaki Factory

- Masayume
- Ai wa Ima, Ai wa Motometeru
- Saijoukyuu Story
- Hikari no Curtain
- Dakara Nannanda!
- Tarinai Mono Umeteyuku Tabi
- Namida no Heroine Kouban Geki
- Garukuta DIAMOND
- Yakusoku Renraku Kinenbi

Everybody knows I'm not the biggest Tsubaki fan but I did enjoy their album. A lot. Their single though was pretty boring imo. Pretty, yes. The newbies are great. Kishimon is amazing. The songs however... lackluster.

BEYOOOOONDS

- Gekikara LOVE
- Now Now Ningen
- Konna Hazujanakatta!
- Vitamin ME
- Yabai Koi no Yaiba
- Watashi to Odorinasai!
- Ninenmae no Yokohama Eki Nishiguchi
- Furefure Everyday

Excuse me, just a disappointed Biyo fan passing through <_< I know, I know, Covid. I can't blame Up Front alone. But how can you let a group down that had such a great monumentum? I mean fair, it's Up Front, they do it every few years. Best releases this year, can't wait for them to be shoved into the back completely in 2022 because all the attention goes to the new audition and OCHA NORMA <_<

OCHA NORMA
Kenshuusei
Other

Easy, didn't listen to them (except for the grad songs and Yuhane's song live during the stream).

This was a pretty bad year for me, musically. Every now and then the agency throw me a bone and I'm happy for the moment, but overall none of the releases were on a level with last year's Suki tte, Mirror Mirror, LOVEpedia, Ningen Kankei...