[2022.06.08] Morning Musume -Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai / Dai ・ Jinsei Never Been Better!

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

[2022.06.08] Morning Musume -Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai / Dai ・ Jinsei Never Been Better!

Post by Shoujo Q »

Announced and performed at their latest concert, a new single for Morning. Last for Chisaki.

More info incoming when released by H!P.

Release date confirmed for June 8th.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
JPope
ANGERME

Re: [2022.05.19] Morning Musume -Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai / Dai ・ Jinsei Never Been Better!

Post by JPope »

So much for H!P adopting my plan, lol. I guess they have to get this out before Chii's graduation, though.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Re: [2022.00.00] Morning Musume -Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai / Dai ・ Jinsei Never Been Better!

Post by DonJuan »

It seems like Chii gets some focus in one song. She really was the center that never made it, huh.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Re: [2022.00.00] Morning Musume -Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai / Dai ・ Jinsei Never Been Better!

Post by DonJuan »

Low quality concert rips! (Rest of the songs in the tweets underneath)

Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai

The beginning reminded me a bit of Wolf Boy. Other than that it's a bit messy, with changing tempi (?), cool. A fan described it as "difficult and a military-like EDM song", I guess that description fits.

Dai Jinsei Never Been Better!

Calm beginning, turns into a "genki" kinda song. But still pretty "cool". As in, the chorus is warm-hearted, the verses sound like something out of the early 2000s. I think they also try to mix in some funk ala Matenrou Show, but... idk if this works.

Additional info:
Both songs were written and composed by Tsunku.

So far quite a hard pass from me, sigh.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai from HinaFes 2022. I really dig this.

DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Yeah, I don't like this lol. Completely forgettable for me, lower than A Gonna.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

I like it but at the same time, there’s something about it that’s just, telling me it’s not going to make it on my playlist for long. The instrumental is what’s intriguing me the most because it’s not something Morning has done before and that interests me and draws me in but for how long? I dunno.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

It's a little bit one-note -- there isn't that obvious change of pace rhythmically or harmonically that you'd expect from H!P -- but the minimal arrangement is an interesting departure from the more dense productions of most modern MM singles, and I quite like it. It just doesn't sound like a single. This would fit nicely on either of their last two albums as an album track, though.

And regardless of how you feel about the song, that performance is pretty strong. Everyone is hitting their moves with authority, and even the weak singers sound good. MM had a pretty good first day of HinaFes all around. Maria especially stood out to me as one who didn't take a single moment off, and she's become, dare I say, a reliable singer. She's been exuding a pretty high level of "fuck you" confidence lately, and I can't say I hate it.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I agree with you actually, but to me it sounds very uninspired. They do hit the notes, but I don't really feel any energy from them. I guess MM nowadays really lives from the audience, and a seated silent audience is basically the death to their performances.

Generally speaking it does sound like an extra to their last album, I agree, and I wasn't already big on that one. But hey, they're constant with their style at least. I just wish they'd have some easier, catchier melodies.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

The Morning Hina Fest was this morning (last night in Japan). And they performed both songs.

The Dai Jinsei Never Been Better song has a classic feel to it, but also, just as forgettable. So I guess, a classic B-side? At least with Chu Chu, I have weird flutes that keep popping in my head. I was expecting more pop for a song they decided to use in the title of their tour?

The Chu Chu song is growing on me. I feel like the Morning premium version was better. Or maybe I just started to hear more of the instrumental? It wasn't as flute heavy as I thought I heard the first time? I'm probably going a little crazy or maybe it's lack of sleep? xD
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Shoujo Q wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:56 am The Dai Jinsei Never Been Better song has a classic feel to it, but also, just as forgettable. So I guess, a classic B-side?
That sounds about right -- maybe a classic album track. Maybe it'll grow on me, but all that head-voice is a bit much. I don't hate it, probably won't skip past it on a playlilst, but won't go looking for it either.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I've taken some time to watch all the Hina Fes performances of Chu Chu Chu and I gotta say, it's not a bad song. It's intriguing from a song building perspective and actually has a bunch of good parts. I like the "mou mou Ah! Ah!" parts and what leads up to it, as well as the Chu Chu Chu parts. Those two are actually quite catchy.

However, I think it's a bad choice as a single.

It sounds like 4 songs in one, the changing tempi make it difficult to follow, the choreography is a bit too hectic and the flute can become annoying quite quickly.
So in general... good for musical analysis, bad for grabbing the masses. But that fits quite well into MM's development the last few years...
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Re: [2022.06.08] Morning Musume -Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai / Dai ・ Jinsei Never Been Better!

Post by Shoujo Q »

Well guess we’re stuck with these songs.

DonJuan
ANGERME

Re: [2022.06.08] Morning Musume -Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai / Dai ・ Jinsei Never Been Better!

Post by DonJuan »

It's good that the version of I WISH gets a wider release. B-sides don't mean anything of course, but it's like a cute bonus.

Here's the official H!P link.
Could be worse, could be better, I guess.

Not sure if this new profile pic is part of the new single, but orange-white-outfits would be a nice shout out to Chii.

JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

PV for -Chu Chu Chu Bokura no Mirai just went live.

DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Covers are nice. MV is classic MM, not bad but a bit too much / could be better. Especially the renders over the greenscreen, the girls lool like cardboard cutouts. But maybe that's what they were going for? Lol
momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

I listened to Chu Chu Chu on the music video and couldn’t even get through it. It just sounds like everything else they’ve put out in the last 5 years plus some whistling. Not worthy of being a single track imo…
AquaChan
ANGERME

Post by AquaChan »

The only thing I like about this single is the orange and white outfits, the rest is pretty forgettable.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

Of the two songs, the Chuchu song was the better of the two. I don't think Never Been Better will help in any way, maybe the MV will swing me? The more I watched the MV the more I was reminded of those fan made 321 Breakin' Out music videos. There were a few moments that were interesting and I'll probably go back and watch it a few more times because there were little things they added into the MV to make me go back to watch.

If I don't like the song, the MV usually swings me. If I don't like either, then it's just a throw away song. This feels like a throw-away single. I'm hoping they release one more single this year which will be a bit more experimental ala Lovepedia/No way, and I'm HOPING it will be around their anniversary, triple a-side either it's going to be a WELCOME NEWBIES or another Graduation single if we go by the standard Morning track record.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

DonJuan wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:05 am Covers are nice. MV is classic MM, not bad but a bit too much / could be better. Especially the renders over the greenscreen, the girls lool like cardboard cutouts. But maybe that's what they were going for? Lol
I think that's exactly what they were going for, tbh. It works in the context of the main narrative, which is constructing the video from raw clips.

This is a phenomenal album track, but it's a really odd choice for a single. I dig the minimal arrangement and the sound palette, and the anxious tension reminds me of "CHO DAI" or "Shinjiru Shika!," which are two of my favorite MM album tracks. I get why some people are gonna hate this, but I'm a fan.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Sorry, Mei.

DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Oh god, that made my laugh out really hard lol
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

That's been on the back-burner since Hina-Fes, just waiting for this video to go live. :lol:
Solarblade
ANGERME

Post by Solarblade »

Today's Hello! Station showed a preview for Dai Jinsei Never Been Better! PV with the full PV coming out Friday!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

It opens the show and includes everything through the first chorus.

The enough-with-the-EDM crowd should be pleased. This is pretty classic Tsunku with some Golden Era vibes.
kira
ANGERME

Post by kira »

Yeah I immediately thought of older Momusu songs when I heard the start of this song. It's uplifting!
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

The full "Dai・Jinsei Never Been Better!" MV just went live.

DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I do like the song and the MV, but I think I'd prefer the song without the really high notes. The MV is kind of Familia summer version.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

Man, I've never seen so little buzz for a new H!P video drop -- let alone one from the flagship -- than for “Dai・Jinsei Never Been Better!” It's full-on apathy. Which it kinda deserves, IMO. I have a review up at the blog, but the tl;dr is I think the production goes so far in trying to make it "perfect" that the end result is completely devoid of soul or magic. The video isn't much better, because outside of the dance scenes, everything feel forced, stiff and acted-out. I had the same feeling about the "I WISH" remake, but the nostalgia was strong enough to tamp it down in the moment. But this? MM videos are starting to look more like clips from a TV drama about an idol group than the product of an actual idol group.