[2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Release info threads go here!

Moderators: testacles_4, Shoujo Q, momoirosaya

Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Re: [2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Post by Shoujo Q »

Here is a fan audio rip of the <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://youtu.be/UPM8Uzx89r0' class="bbc_url" title="External link">Mukidashi song</a> from the PV viewing event.

It's the first for Hoshibe Shou to be written and composed for Morning Musume.
This is a place where a signature goes. Enjoy some Airi instead.
Anderei
つんく♂

Re: [2016.11.23] Morning Musume '16 - Sexy Cat no Enzetsu / Mukidashi de Mukiatte / Sou Janai

Post by Anderei »

People have been comparing this to old school jpop and it has that vibe for me. I think it pales in comparison to some of the other stuff he's done for H!P though.

New profile photos. These are basically The Vision outfits in a different fabric.
<p class="bbc_center">Image
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

Masaki's really trying her hardest to be the Reina clone she wants to be, huh.

But wow, those outfits are lazy.
sayu1991
こぶしファクトリー

Post by sayu1991 »

They REALLY need to stop with the white and silver outfits. They got old long ago and do nothing for the girls.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

I do have a soft spot for eurotrashbeat. Not saying the song is great, but I don't dislike it.
Sexy Cat has also been a grower. The only thing that really puts me off is the part where they put a-bass-beat-on-e-ve-ry-sy-lla-ble.

Sou Janai is still meh.
yuzuriha
つんく♂

Post by yuzuriha »

I'm waiting for PV preview for Mukidashi but I have high hopes based on what everyone is saying.

I've also determined that Sexy Cat bears some resemblance to Wolf Boy.

Finally, the PV still makes me uncomfortable, but tsunku has used his black magic once again and the song itself is growing on me.
Kaori • Risako 
 Sakura • Kananan •  Sayuki 

momoirosaya
つんく♂

Post by momoirosaya »

Oh my Wish 2.0 outfits
rikako♡eripon♡airi
showraniy
ANGERME

Post by showraniy »

What is that arm flapping dance move in Sexy Cat? That is the most unsexy thing to put in a sexy dance, wtf.
Elpis
ANGERME

Post by Elpis »

It feels like pretty much all their singles have at least 1 white outfit of some kind featured as their a-side. Whereas most of the other groups rarely get white outfits.
Formerly Mizura
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

C-ute wear white fairly often. Or at least it feels like they do.
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

[quote="arcobaleno"]
Masaki's really trying her hardest to be the Reina clone she wants to be, huh.
[/quote]

*Masaki picking Shabondama as her graduation song in the future, soon*
Image Hey
Purin-chama
ANGERME

Post by Purin-chama »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
Here is a fan audio rip of the <a class="bbc_url" href="https://youtu.be/UPM8Uzx89r0" title="External link">Mukidashi song</a> from the PV viewing event.

It's the first for Hoshibe Shou to be written and composed for Morning Musume.
[/quote]
This song is the only one on the single that isn't terrible. I really like it actually. A lot of harmonies. Girls sound better than in the other songs too.
MejraThea
ANGERME

Post by MejraThea »

[quote="showraniy"]
What is that arm flapping dance move in Sexy Cat? That is the most unsexy thing to put in a sexy dance, wtf.
[/quote]

I think I've seen it in other "sexy" things as well, such as some Kpop dance or something.
Meikochi
ANGERME

Post by Meikochi »

[quote="TicTacAnyone"]
I like the song probably more than some of you here, but it's not great. A better song than Tiki Bun or Nanni Mo Wakacchanai.

And although this song isn't nearly as good as Egao Yes Nude, let's not forget those bed scenes... At least the girls aren't rolling around and touching themselves and each other, lol.
[/quote]

Same here, for now at least (MM songs are usually grower for me).

And THANK YOU, I felt alone to remember those bed scenes. Aika and Koharu were the same age as Akane (14)  and Maria (15) are now. (Miki (17) and Haruna (17) are also only 1 year younger than Reina and Sayumi were.)

And I thought like you arco, when I saw this side-ponytail. :sideways:
Last edited by Meikochi on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Campy <3 !
mrsross
モーニング娘。

Post by mrsross »

Didn't Tsunku produce both songs??? I'm just gonna say he's just being lazy or self-sampling.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Well, I guess J=J is the new Melon Kinenbi.

Edit: Also, arranger. Both songs were done by Ookubo.
Last edited by DonJuan on Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GaleKakumei
カントリー・ガールズ

Post by GaleKakumei »

The MV for Sexy Cat feels like a higher budget version of WANT. 
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="DonJuan"]
Edit: Also, arranger. Both songs were done by Ookubo.
[/quote]

Now, I know that Tsunku's compositions might have some intrinsic flaws in them, but seriously, it seems like Ookubo manages to ruin any of the good that could come out of most of them..... of MM's entire EDM era where he's arranged songs, there's only really been a few I thought he did well. He did a lot better with Platinum Era's more R&B feel, he should've stuck with that.

Looking at his page on the wiki, I really like a lot of the non-EDM songs he did, whereas the EDM he did do always felt so flat and uninspired.  :facepalm: The only big exception, I, personally, can see is TokiSora.
Last edited by arcobaleno on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

How funny that he ripped from the one Juice song that Ayumi was in.

But to be honest with you all, this ant like it's done in every other music company ever. It's basically like having a signature sound. AKB has one, other Jpop groups have them. American groups. Heck I was listening to a Country song on the radio yesterday and went to google after listening to it because it sounded like another song.

And on another note, overall I'm happy with this single because it seems like different girls are being center for different songs.
Last edited by Shoujo Q on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Thank you Arco, I've been disappointed with Ookubo since he started with the EDM arrangements. MM's Updated album was the cruel "highlight". He has some nice songs in his portfolio, the EDM stuff however is not part of it.
Last edited by DonJuan on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

<div>I love Ookubo's EMD arrangements. His sound is basically responsible for MM's resurrection from insignificance, and I rank several of his early EDM arrangements among MM's very best: One•Two•Three, Ai no Joke, and especially Ai no Gundan. Sure, a lot of the sounds have since been recycled (they've been robbing Toki wo Koe Sora wo Koe blind for two full years now), but that doesn't take away from the fact that he played a huge role in making Morning Musume relevant again. I had been checked out as a fan for a few years until Ookubo gave them a fresh, interesting and focused EDM sound.</div>
Shoujo Q
つんく♂

Post by Shoujo Q »

There's a full rip of Sexy Cat out and uhm... I think they had a mental episode breakdown in the instrumental department at the 3:44 mark.

I have no idea what they were thinking. It's a total WTF moment. 

Another musing of mine, considering this is the only song Duu is in the MV for, that's why they went for this being the main A-side. Less money to reshoot a dance video and after the whole Karin-gate thing. Probably didn't want to do THAT again. 
arcobaleno
ANGERME

Post by arcobaleno »

[quote="JPope"]

<div>I love Ookubo's EMD arrangements. His sound is basically responsible for MM's resurrection from insignificance, and I rank several of his early EDM arrangements among MM's very best: One•Two•Three, Ai no Joke, and especially Ai no Gundan. Sure, a lot of the sounds have since been recycled (they've been robbing Toki wo Koe Sora wo Koe blind for two full years now), but that doesn't take away from the fact that he played a huge role in making Morning Musume relevant again. I had been checked out as a fan for a few years until Ookubo gave them a fresh, interesting and focused EDM sound.</div>

[/quote]

I respect but your opinion, but I, personally, think Hirata Shouichirou's arrangements are much more interestingly done. He did PyokoPyoko and Ren'ai Hunter, both of which are EDM and can be said to be the true start of MM's EDM era. PyokoPyoko is trashed on by so many, but as a song, it's catchy with interesting melodies and cute sound effects throughout, it doesn't hide that it's electronic and instead just runs with it in a fun and fresh way.

Ren'ai Hunter is a badass song, the kind of EDM akin to Tsugitsugi Zokuzoku (composed AND arranged by Hirata himself) that MM thinks it's been doing for the past 3 years but has been failing to usurp, in my opinion.

I do like OTT a lot as a song, but I think if Hirata was at the helm, he would've done a much better job, and, as a whole, I would've rather had him at the helm of EDMusume rather than Ookubo.

Even Pyoko's b-side, Kanashiki Koi no Melody, is done well considering it's Ookubo, but I know that Hirata would've revived it into a truly interesting and catchy beat, rather than a song that falls flat towards the chorus, which is Ookubo's speciality. He builds EDM up  welland then lets it all dive when the chorus hits. I cannot stand a song with a weak ass chorus.
Last edited by arcobaleno on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anderei
つんく♂

Post by Anderei »

And really, now that Oricon changed their rules, they need to be stepping up their music game more than ever. They can't just be doing a billion handshakes in order to rank high and convince people they're popular and matter (not that they succeeded in that anyway, the average person still has no clue who these girls are).

Their sales are actually what I'm most interested in. They have the most to lose with this new rule.

Also, Hirata has also done some of my favorite Berryz songs. I looked at his list and he's done a lot of songs I love that I had no idea he was responsible for (like the amazing Purple Wind AND two of the best songs on S/mileage's second album).
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="Shoujo Q"]
There's a full rip of Sexy Cat out and uhm... I think they had a mental episode breakdown in the instrumental department at the 3:44 mark.

I have no idea what they were thinking. It's a total WTF moment. 
[/quote]

They were thinking "let's do something awesome!"

I really like that part. It's like an EDM take on a prog-rock passage.
JPope
ANGERME

Post by JPope »

[quote="arcobaleno"]

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="JPope" data-cid="201607" data-time="1477249578">
<div>

[/quote]

I respect but your opinion, but I, personally, think Hirata Shouichirou's arrangements are much more interestingly done. He did PyokoPyoko and Ren'ai Hunter, both of which are EDM and can be said to be the true start of MM's EDM era. PyokoPyoko is trashed on by so many, but as a song, it's catchy with interesting melodies and cute sound effects throughout, it doesn't hide that it's electronic and instead just runs with it in a fun and fresh way.

Ren'ai Hunter is a badass song, the kind of EDM akin to Tsugitsugi Zokuzoku (composed AND arranged by Hirata himself) that MM thinks it's been doing for the past 3 years but has been failing to usurp, in my opinion.

I do like OTT a lot as a song, but I think if Hirata was at the helm, he would've done a much better job, and, as a whole, I would've rather had him at the helm of EDMusume rather than Ookubo.

Even Pyoko's b-side, Kanashiki Koi no Melody, is done well considering it's Ookubo, but I know that Hirata would've revived it into a truly interesting and catchy beat, rather than a song that falls flat towards the chorus, which is Ookubo's speciality. He builds EDM up  welland then lets it all dive when the chorus hits. I cannot stand a song with a weak ass chorus.

</div>
</blockquote>

I think Renai Hunter is fantastic. I think Pyoko is hot garbage. I'll let Dave Mason explain how I feel about this particular disagreement:

https://youtu.be/p8_FOQ7-P30?t=58
TicTacAnyone
ANGERME

Post by TicTacAnyone »

That one instrumental part at 3:44 was better than pretty much the whole song, minus 4:19. But it definitely didn't fit with the rest of the song.... I was disappointed that the first verse and second verse were the exact same (pretty much)....
DonJuan
ANGERME

Post by DonJuan »

Agreed. It's ... repetitive. What I do like though is that it seems to be lower than some of their previous songs. The live version doesn't sound as screechy.
Of course, the leads are those 3 in the group that can hold a note for more than a second, and it doesn't seem like the others get many lines (I think I've heard Ayumi).
Derby
ANGERME

Post by Derby »

So nobody's gonna mention how that creep chose a screen cap where you can see all the puss-zone for the radio rip?

[quote="DonJuan"]
Agreed. It's ... repetitive. What I do like though is that it seems to be lower than some of their previous songs. The live version doesn't sound as screechy.
Of course, the leads are those 3 in the group that can hold a note for more than a second, and it doesn't seem like the others get many lines (I think I've heard Ayumi).
[/quote]

I may be wrong but I think all the members who are not the sekshi cattos get 2 solo lines in that "Pure" part that looks like Berryz' Want
Image Hey